Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/10/18660402/microsoft-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-project-scarlett-e3-2019

Microsoft announced on Monday that the latest collection of games being added to Xbox One’s backward compatibility program will be the last previous-generation games that will be supported on the Xbox and Xbox One.

Microsoft said it’s ending development on Xbox One backward compatibility to devote resources to ensure existing games are compatible with the upcoming Project Scarlett.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56253 Posts

And this is why you always keep your old consoles.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#3 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Im good. I have over 4TB to play.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44333 Posts

Well they’ve done an excellent job making a lot of great games backwards compatible with the Xbox One so for that I am very grateful to them. Moving forward I think the consoles will just naturally be backwards compatible with the previous generation’s games.

These days I like to hang on to my systems from previous gens but simply keeping your old systems isn’t really a solution because old systems will eventually break down. Also keeping your old systems hooked up all the time to play an older game isn’t really feasible.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/10/18660402/microsoft-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-project-scarlett-e3-2019

Microsoft announced on Monday that the latest collection of games being added to Xbox One’s backward compatibility program will be the last previous-generation games that will be supported on the Xbox and Xbox One.

Microsoft said it’s ending development on Xbox One backward compatibility to devote resources to ensure existing games are compatible with the upcoming Project Scarlett.

New drivers and graphics accelerated virtual machine for Project Scarlett. Old GCN drivers on PC doesn't run on NAVI.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts

This is why I keep my old consoles and only trust true backward compatibility not curated emulation pretending to be BC.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

Shame, but those are awesome though.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts
@davillain- said:

And this is why you always keep your old consoles.

I would assume that all focus is on Project Scarlett, and so the BC resources will be worked on that platform.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

I don't really care for BC but it would've been cool to see one company open up all the backdoors for complete gens across for an official product.

I guess MS thinks it's not even worth the investment.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Hey, gives me an excuse to buy:

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy (for the fifth time, and ending my Sphinx Collection)

Unreal Championship 2

Splinter Cell classics (I have on GC... shut up... except Double Agent)

Indiana Jones and Emperor's Tomb (already own on Steam)

Still, it sucks they are ending it for the BONE.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@son-goku7523 said:

This is why I keep my old consoles and only trust true backward compatibility not curated emulation pretending to be BC.

But you like pretending, pretending not to be quacknight that is LMFAO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#12 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

It's disappointing news, but I guess that's how it goes. Luckily they went above and beyond making a lot of games BC.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11178 Posts
@i_p_daily said:
@son-goku7523 said:

Maybe you can disappear again for a couple of weeks so you can solve the mystery.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:
@son-goku7523 said:

Maybe you can disappear again for a couple of weeks so you can solve the mystery.

Solve what mystery? its quacknight, he's as easily to spot as your meltdowns :)

WOW you becoming tormentos living in the past. But thanks for reminding of having to work away doing 160+hrs those 2 weeks away :(

But boy didn't I open up a can of whoop arse on what's his name, he hasn't been around since I exposed his lying arse, but with you cows you always slip up lol.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Son-Goku7523
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:
@son-goku7523 said:

He was waiting out the fallout from MS' disastrous E3 by pretending to be busy lol.

He'll disappear again if Gear 5 ends up flopping or if Death Stranding ends up winning GOTY.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17451 Posts

We are at the end of the generation and both console makers have announced new consoles.

What is the financial and business sense to continue investing in bringing older games to a platform that............itself...........is old?

Move resources to having full BC with current gen games, as MS and Sony have been doing.

Why is this surprising to anyone other than fanboys?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44167 Posts

On a related note, great news, get'em whilst the get'en is good.

Thank you MS, for the gamerz ... Jazz. :P

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/10/e3-2019-whats-next-xbox-backward-compatibility/

Since the Xbox One Backward Compatibility program was announced at E3 2015, over half of all Xbox gamers have enjoyed Original Xbox or Xbox 360 games on Xbox One. During that time, the Backward Compatibility catalog we built directly from fan feedback has grown to over 600 titles including entire iconic franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Gears of War, and Mass Effect.

Four years later, compatibility remains a priority for Xbox, for our community and for developers and their games, and preserving the art form of video games is part of our DNA. After adding more than 600 titles to the Backward Compatibility catalog, we’re now setting our sights on what’s next for the future of compatibility.

We’ve listened closely to community feedback and respect the game libraries you’ve built throughout the last 18 years. That’s why we’re taking our work a step further and announced this week that thousands of games from all four generations will be playable on Project Scarlett. As such, we have now shifted our focus to help make the games you love playing on Xbox One compatible with future Xbox hardware. After this week, we have no plans to add additional Original Xbox or Xbox 360 titles to the catalog on Xbox One, but we’re excited to continue our work on Xbox compatibility across platforms and devices, which remains a top priority.

Today, we’re thrilled to bring you a final collection of Original Xbox classics, Xbox 360 fan-favorites and Xbox One X Enhanced updates as a token of appreciation to our fans for their support.

New Original Xbox Games Announced Today

Today, another long-awaited wave of Original Xbox games are playable on Xbox One:

• Armed and Dangerous
  • Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb
  • Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
  • Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell
  • Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
  • Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  • Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent
  • Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict

All of these Original Xbox classics take advantage of the power of Xbox One with up to 4x the pixel count on Xbox One and Xbox One S, and up to 16x the pixel count on Xbox One X for resolutions up to 4K Ultra HD. These games are available to play now on disc and you can purchase digitally in the Microsoft Store later this week.

With the addition of the four Tom Clancy Splinter Cell games from the Original Xbox, you can now play the entire Splinter Cell franchise on Xbox One.

Additionally, we are releasing Original Xbox downloadable content packs free of charge today to current and future owners of the following games, available automatically via content updates on Xbox One:

New Xbox One X Enhanced Updates Available Today

Alongside our E3 collection, we are releasing several title updates today for Xbox One X owners. Xbox 360 games enhanced for Xbox One X run at a higher resolution – 9x the original pixel count up to 4K UltraHD – with improved texture filtering and color detail. The power of Xbox One X enables the Xbox 360 emulator to showcase the very best version of the game possible with the existing assets and no modification to the original experience.

Xbox One X Enhanced updates available now include:

• Banjo-Kazooie
  • Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • Kameo Elements of Power
  • Perfect Dark
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Viva Piñata
  • Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise

These Xbox One X Enhanced updates will be automatically applied to all owners of these games, whether they were purchased individually or as part of the Rare Replay collection.

New Xbox 360 Fan-Favorites Available This Week

We are also releasing a curated collection of fan-favorite Xbox 360 games, available this week, to commemorate the special occasion, including:

• Asura’s Wrath
  • Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
  • Enchanted Arms
  • Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
  • Far Cry Classic
  • Far Cry Instincts Predator
  • Infinite Undiscovery
  • Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
  • Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
  • Skate
  • Star Ocean: The Last Hope
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syndicate
  • Too Human
  • Unreal Tournament III

As a final thank you to the community, we are bringing Too Human to the Backward Compatibility catalog and are making it available digitally to everyone for free.

As a reminder, you’ll be able to play all these Original Xbox and Xbox 360 games on Xbox One with the disc you already own, or you can purchase them digitally in the Microsoft Store. Market restrictions for digital content may apply, so please check the store page for details.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support as we’ve journeyed together through the launch and releases of Xbox One Backward Compatibility – we look forward to our next chapter with Project Scarlett.

nefariouscheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nefariouscheat
Member since 2019 • 13 Posts

I wish they will add the Old School Medal of Honor games...

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

LOL........

Sony Fan is so consumed with the X.

News flash, the new Xbox launches next year so of course they aren't going to do anymore backwards compatible games for this gen. More news next year on BC when Scarlet launches.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

It's like everything else with MS. You've got to add a * to everything they do, like with their exclusives*. BC* is no different. It's just the illusion of true backwards compatibility.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11178 Posts
@son-goku7523 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

He was waiting out the fallout from MS' disastrous E3 by pretending to be busy lol.

He'll disappear again if Gear 5 ends up flopping or if Death Stranding ends up winning GOTY.

If PS5 ends up being more powerful than Anaconda, he'll probably fade from existence. ?

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@davillain-: This is why hardware BC>>>>>>>>>>Software BC.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Calvincfb

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

If PS5 ends up being more powerful than Anaconda, he'll probably fade from existence. ?

Why is I_Salty_Daily always salty?

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

I'm gonna play me some Too Human! I loved that game.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nintendoboy16
@subspecies said:

It's like everything else with MS. You've got to add a * to everything they do, like with their exclusives*. BC* is no different. It's just the illusion of true backwards compatibility.

At least it's something. Something that both Sony and Nintendo stuffed up in doing.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Son-Goku7523
@calvincfb said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

??? It’s because he spent over a $1000 on Flopbone hardware this gen and MS undelivered. I’d be mad salty too if I dropped that much money on a massive flop.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1644 Posts

Even when Scarlet supports 3000 titles at launch, some guys on here will say 'Xbox has no games'. Such a stupid comment lol.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I have 2 OG Xbox and I'm good!

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Calvincfb

@son-goku7523 said:
@calvincfb said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

??? It’s because he spent over a $1000 on Flopbone hardware this gen and MS undelivered. I’d be mad salty too if I dropped that much money on a massive flop.

Man, $1000 to play Forza... Guy needs to set his priorities right.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Calvincfb

@nintendoboy16 said:
@subspecies said:

At least it's something. Something that both Sony and Nintendo stuffed up in doing.

Yeah, because PS2, OG PS3, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U didn't have BC, right?

But you know what is funny? The two consoles without BC were successful while the one with faux BC flopped, this should tell you something.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44618 Posts

Well, glad they gave us Panzer Dragoon Orta with a 4K treatment, so I am fine with this. Hope it also doesn't mean they'll ditch Xbox 360 BC support.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

As usual the Cows create a massive backfire thread.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@calvincfb said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@subspecies said:

Yeah, because PS2, OG PS3, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U didn't have BC, right?

But you know what is funny? The two consoles without BC were successful while the one with faux BC flopped, this should tell you something.

That it is a complete irrelevant factor?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nintendoboy16

@calvincfb: But PS2, Wii, GBC, GBA, DS, AND 3DS had BC and were very successful.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Calvincfb

@MonsieurX: that BC means nothing. It doesn't make a console succeed or fail. Most people don't play old games.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Did actually sell anyway?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

That sucks. BC has actually been my most used feature on my X1X because MS has failed to release anything new worth playing. Wish they would have added Riddick and Jet Set Radio Future which are 2 of the best OG Xbox games.

Who the hell even asked for Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy? I have no idea what that game is. Unreal Championship 2 is useless without online servers. Those are some really strange additions.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17451 Posts
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

That sucks. BC has actually been my most used feature on my X1X because MS has failed to release anything new worth playing. Wish they would have added Riddick and Jet Set Radio Future which are 2 of the best OG Xbox games.

Who the hell even asked for Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy? I have no idea what that game is. Unreal Championship 2 is useless without online servers. Those are some really strange additions.

To be fair, all of these BC titles need permission from the publishers.................who have to make sure they have current licenses since they are also listed for sale on Xbox and Xbox.com

Its not as simple as getting the title running.

MS has said multiple times that it is completely dependent on publisher approval since they simply maintain the emulator and tailor it on a per-game basis.

A lot of these obscure titles didnt have any licensed songs or ads that would need to be ok'd legally.

That would be my guess, especially for the 2 games you listed.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nintendoboy16

@NathanDrakeSwag: I asked for Sphinx. One of my favorite games that no one seems to talk about and has slowly been gaining a cult following.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

I don't think I played really any of these myself.