PC gaming handheld Lenovo Legion Go a success with a new model planned!

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11798 Posts

Lenovo's Gaming Category announcer at Lenovo Innovative Conference 2024 has stated that the Legion Go was received well and especially in Asia Pacific. They are continuing to put resources into improving the current Legion Go and will make a successor to it that improves upon it even further.

As a Legion Go owner I'd love to see what improvements they make with the Legion Go 2. HDR., 24-32GB RAM, native portrait display, better ergonomics and speakers are all I think this device really needs on the hardware side. Lenovo has trade in options for their products and if Legion Go 2 comes out anytime soon I would gladly trade it in for improvements such as the listed above.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38943 Posts

I like this handheld push. None of them are strong enough for me to consider, but the more competition, faster mobile tech will advance, and sooner i'll get a proper system.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6100 Posts

There was a first?

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

@hardwenzen: I would love to see a handheld PS4 if Sony and AMD can reduce the chipset size down to that level. Imagine playing Bloodborne on the train…

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NoodleFighter

@lavamelon: that level of performance is already possible with the Steam Deck.

Loading Video...

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17822 Posts

Good stuff. Glad to see it did well. I'd be interested in the controller side of it if they spun that off into it's own product.

Hopefully it's successor also does well. The go is a first gen product with an interesting controller so lots to refine and improve on i'm sure.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NoodleFighter

@osan0 said:

Good stuff. Glad to see it did well. I'd be interested in the controller side of it if they spun that off into it's own product.

Hopefully it's successor also does well. The go is a first gen product with an interesting controller so lots to refine and improve on i'm sure.

What has you so interested in the controller separate from the handheld?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

its an excellent system, no doubt. I didn't like the software implementation, and I hope they get working together with MS to create something amazing for mobile. That should be a priority for MS imo. The steam deck is great and they have the right idea, but its limited to only steam. I have a huge library on epic, and also on the MS store.

So yeah, work on the UI/UX, the user interface, iron out the bugs, streamline windows for a mobile platform, and work with these different stores to increase compatability. I think windows will be at a disadvantage against steam in the performance aspect, because that device is very purpose built. Windows will make tradeoffs with performance for wider compatability, and that is fine with me.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 690 Posts

I didn't buy them as I don't like to be an early adopter, but I am glad to see the format is getting more popular.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46349 Posts

I love my Steam Deck I just don't use it a lot.

I use my Retroid Pocket 4 all the time though: Killzone on PS2, Super Mario Bros wii on wii.

Something about the size tells me one is a handheld and the other is just huge.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17822 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:
@osan0 said:

I may be getting my handhelds mixed up here but the go, I think, is the one with the super charged joycons. One of them can act as a mouse. There is a built in scroll wheel (seriously, why are Scroll wheels not a things on controllers?). The whole split controller idea is also nice even if not using motion controls.

I'm a sucker for interesting controllers :P.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NoodleFighter

@osan0 said:
@NoodleFighter said:

I may be getting my handhelds mixed up here but the go, I think, is the one with the super charged joycons. One of them can act as a mouse. There is a built in scroll wheel (seriously, why are Scroll wheels not a things on controllers?). The whole split controller idea is also nice even if not using motion controls.

I'm a sucker for interesting controllers :P.

Oh yeah those are good points. The scroll wheel has been useful for me in some games like when I was playing Crysis Remastered and Warhead it made it easier for me to quickly switch weapons on the fly without taking my thumbs off the analogue sticks. The Legion Go controllers recently got updated so that we can now map any buttons from the keyboard and mouse to whatever we want on the truestrike controllers (the "joycons"). All they need now is to improve the gyro on the controllers since both joycons have a gyroscope in them but them but official software currently only lets you use the gyro in the main unit. A lot of users have said that the FPS mode of the controllers is great for strategy games and certain MMOs.

Now that you mention it, the Legion Go controllers sold separately could fill in the void left by the Steam controllers being discontinued.

@R4gn4r0k said:

I love my Steam Deck I just don't use it a lot.

I use my Retroid Pocket 4 all the time though: Killzone on PS2, Super Mario Bros wii on wii.

Something about the size tells me one is a handheld and the other is just huge.

I found my Nintendo DS a while ago and put it side by side with my Legion Go. Yeah it was huge but trying to hold the DS as a grown man felt like I was playing with a toy made only for children. Then I also realized some of the games I play I wouldn't be able to read the text well on a screen as small as the DS. Then there is also how powerful the device is because of its size. So to me its a more than worth it trade off.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22716 Posts

Great news! Congrats Lenovo! Glad to see resources pumped into handhelds. Looking forward tk the next wave!

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1866 Posts

@lavamelon said:

@hardwenzen: I would love to see a handheld PS4 if Sony and AMD can reduce the chipset size down to that level. Imagine playing Bloodborne on the train…

Sony fans like handhelds again????

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56143 Posts

@luxuryheart said:
@lavamelon said:

In all fairness, I would like to see Sony take another shot on the handheld market and do PS Vita 2 but this time, support the damn thing and abandon this whole VR crap.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38943 Posts

@luxuryheart said:
@lavamelon said:

You sheep repeat the same thing, and you never get it. The issue is not A HANDHELD. The issue is 1- such weak hardware that you can't play anything recent 2- the handheld has its own games, and doesn't support titles made for the primary system, in this case, the ps5. This is the problem of a handheld. If It plays all titles that are on a ps5, and is stronger than the Deck, everyone will buy it, including you.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NoodleFighter

@hardwenzen said:
@luxuryheart said:
@lavamelon said:

You sheep repeat the same thing, and you never get it. The issue is not A HANDHELD. The issue is 1- such weak hardware that you can't play anything recent 2- the handheld has its own games, and doesn't support titles made for the primary system, in this case, the ps5. This is the problem of a handheld. If It plays all titles that are on a ps5, and is stronger than the Deck, everyone will buy it, including you.

A lot of what you said is why the Nintendo Switch exist. Mobile gaming is too prominent and the cost of development for core games has gone up so Nintendo's separate shrinking markets for handhelds and consoles wouldn't be very profitable for them and 3rd party developers hence why the Switch combined those two markets. No one wants to make a game for just handhelds these days nor do they want to strip a multiplatform title down to nearly being something else with the same name like a lot of Nintendo DS, PSP and even some PS Vita titles were.

Nowadays everyone wants a unified ecosystem where they can transfer their saves and games over to a new device within the ecosystem hence why Xbox Series got screwed over by the initial Xbox One reveal since so much of people's video game libraries is digital now starting with that generation. There isn't really any hot selling gimmick Nintendo can do with handhelds that can't be imitated by phones and tablets. Nowadays tablets and phones easily produce games with better graphics than the Switch such as Genshin Impact.

What really makes the Switch stand out from mobile devices is that it can play contemporary traditional home console games as mobile is heavily dominated by casual F2P games stuffed with ads and gacha mechanics.

I can't see Sony making a new handheld unless its at the start of a new home console generation because games cost way too much to make and Sony is definitely not going to split the attention of their studios on a handheld that likely may not succeed. The best I can see of a new Playstation handheld is if its something similar to the Steam Deck and is done like a Xbox Series S and X thing where games for the new Playstation generation have to work on the home console and the handheld.