SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

Well the current gen is now becoming the past and I just wanted to show my appreciation for the one Sony exclusive that really impressed me and that's Persona 5. This game was easily my favorite Turn Based RPG of this gen (possibly ever), very solid.

Everything from the artwork, music, combat mechanics, writing. Just overall an amazing game. I'm not a huge JRPG fan. I play them from time to time. I have played 2 shin megami tensei games, 4 and devil survivor 2 record breaker on the DS. Persona 5 was my first Persona game and I must say I'm just really impressed.

There have been some other heavy hitter turn based rpgs, FF7 remake, Octopath, DQ10, but man Persona 5... something about it just drips. It's just such a unique gem of a game.

Sony imo this gen... was well.. overrated TBH. A heavy saturation of 3rd person action adventure games and this game stood out as something really unique out of the bunch imo. Atlus did a hell of a job with this game. I find it almost criminal this is only available on PS5 tbh.. More people need to play it. After playing persona 5 I really want to play persona 4. Could get it now on PC but i'm hoping for a switch port. I want to play it on a handheld, like I did devil survivor a while back.

But yeah, easily my favorite Sony exclusive this gen is Persona 5.

Sidenote: i'm no weeaboo, quite the opposite. But I can recognize that this game is a diamond. Congrats to Atlus for making the best turn based RPG this gen, and congrats to Sony for locking down that exclusivity contract.. (i guess...)

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Bad game but I enjoy it. Guilty pleasure.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50613 Posts

I don't get the appeal to these games at all.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45317 Posts

Hey, welcome to the board.

I enjoyed Persona 5, but it wasn't my favorite Persona. I enjoyed Persona 4 Golden (Vita) more, but that's because I liked the story, characters, and setting more. As far as gameplay goes, Persona 5 has the best combat. I got Royal this year, but still haven't played it. Just way too many games lol. I wonder though.. will Persona 6 be a PS5 exclusive? 🤔

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SargentD

@Chutebox said:

I don't get the appeal to these games at all.

I used to think the same thing, I'm more of a fighting, hack n slash, FPS, fan. As for as RPG's I tend to always lean to the action ones. My first turn-based rpg was pokemon blue when i was 7 on the the gameboy. I never went much further in turn based RPG's until i was in my late teens. Devil survivor on the DS i give credit for really getting me back into the genre. Its a lot of grind, strategy, and meta shit. Imo these types of games excel when played handheld. This one though excels so much at its presentation, id say its def worthy playing on a big TV. I love this stupid weaboo game. I'm also a big fan of unique enemy designs. This game has some of the best IMO. I really appreciate the art. Imo these games take what a game like Pokémon does and makes it alot more mature, pokemon for adults lol might sound stupid but it makes sense to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Man xbox is really down in the dumps right now how do you miss out on access to this game yikes. Are you even a gaming system? I just dunno.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SargentD
@SolidGame_basic said:

I enjoyed Persona 5, but it wasn't my favorite Persona. I enjoyed Persona 4 Golden (Vita) more, but that's because I liked the story, characters, and setting more. As far as gameplay goes, Persona 5 has the best combat. I got Royal this year, but still haven't played it. Just way too many games lol. I wonder though.. will Persona 6 be a PS5 exclusive? 🤔

Heard persona 4 golden is fantastic, i almost bit on the steam autumn sale for 15$ but got black mesa for 10$ instead. Im holding out for a switch port. If it doesn't happen i will buy it when it goes on sale on PC. I can hold out, my backlog is stupid big as well.

As far as persona 6 being ps5 exclusive id be disappointed... atlus should at least put on PC as well. I think it will depend on how much money Sony wants to spend to lock them in. I prefer these types of games in handheld. So i want to see them go to the switch personally.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8444 Posts

I really loved Persona 5 when it came out. It's a shame the obsessive fandom around the series has kinda made me think less of it because you guys are annoying.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SargentD

@jaydan: annoying you? you disagree with what i said?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8444 Posts

@sargentd: I made a generalization, not a direct criticism towards you.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SargentD

@jaydan: gotcha, yeah im not familiar with the fanbase of persona. might be on some rick and morty type BS

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23949 Posts

Persona? Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

I would rather much just play a proper Megami Tensei game. One where the pace isnt needlessly dragged down by dull social sim sections.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50613 Posts

@sargentd: I played persona 4. I like turn based. First two hours I was running around in a town doing a bunch of boring bullshit. I also can't stand the art style.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SargentD

@Maroxad said:

I would rather much just play a proper Megami Tensei game. One where the pace isnt needlessly dragged down by dull social sim sections.

i haven't played many, just the ones I mentioned, I liked devil survivor. Have any recommendations?

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SargentD
@Chutebox said:

@sargentd: I played persona 4. I like turn based. First two hours I was running around in a town doing a bunch of boring bullshit. I also can't stand the art style.

yeah its anime style, which i see why some don't like it and the beginning of these games tend to drag before you get to the meat and potatoes as far as i can tell.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Maroxad

@sargentd said:
@Maroxad said:

i haven't played many, just the ones I mentioned, I liked devil survivor. Have any recommendations?

SMT3: Nocturne is the best one. Strange Journey is really good too.

And while some SMT purists may not like this answer: Digital Devil Saga is really good too.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Maroxad

@sargentd said:

@jaydan: gotcha, yeah im not familiar with the fanbase of persona. might be on some rick and morty type BS

Dunno Jaydan's reasons, but mine are related to creepiness, rather than smugness.

I wont say more, because this isnt fanboy wars.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SargentD

@girlusocrazy said:

Correction, Bloodborne is best, but carry on.

DS3 was better imo, but we wont go there in this thread lol

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SargentD

@Maroxad said:
@sargentd said:
@Maroxad said:

SMT3: Nocturne is the best one. Strange Journey is really good too.

And while some SMT purists may not like this answer: Digital Devil Saga is really good too.

Guess i'm screwed in trying SMT3 and DigitalDevilSaga since i sold my PS2 a long time ago.... I looked on google it says they re-released it on ps4 but it looks like Japanese only... But i will look into strange journey, i do have a 2DS XL thanks!!

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Over rated to heck and back, but still a good game. Don't expect much discussion about it here since it's a Japanese game. They are largely ignored here.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

If this was a multiplat no one would care about it, but because Sony paid for exclusivity its a game cows love lol.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45317 Posts

@sargentd said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Heard persona 4 golden is fantastic, i almost bit on the steam autumn sale for 15$ but got black mesa for 10$ instead. Im holding out for a switch port. If it doesn't happen i will buy it when it goes on sale on PC. I can hold out, my backlog is stupid big as well.

As far as persona 6 being ps5 exclusive id be disappointed... atlus should at least put on PC as well. I think it will depend on how much money Sony wants to spend to lock them in. I prefer these types of games in handheld. So i want to see them go to the switch personally.

You would think Persona 4 Golden on Switch would be a no brainer. I've seen it go as long as $13 on PC.

Yea, I wonder why Atlus has kept the main Persona games exclusive to Sony for so long. Maybe they focused on Sony as their main platform since they have the most popular system? Also makes me wonder why Nintendo gets certain Atlus games as exclusives as well. Or maybe you're right, maybe they pay for exclusivity. I wonder if they have a strong business relationship with them as well.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Man xbox is really down in the dumps right now how do you miss out on access to this game yikes. Are you even a gaming system? I just dunno.

Are you even real? I just dunno

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

Great game. Definitely more niche than traditional JRPGs, but I really enjoyed the game. The only thing I kinda dislike, is that you can **** up certain time sensitive elements, like I thought I did with P4G (PC) and therefore potentially lost the final act... Thankfully, I was mistaken, though i've actually yet to finish it lol.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts

I mostly ignored JRPGs all together until I played Persona 3, and even then very few ever came close to being as satisfying as those games. As great as these games are, they have been published under the worst strategy.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts

@i_p_daily: you should give it a try. Might increase your IQ from 1 to 2

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Of the recent Neosona games,

Persona 3 > Persona 4 >>>>>>>>>> Persona 5

Still love Persona 5, gameplay is the best of all and Kasumi is best girl but damn the writing of Persona 5 sucks.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ___gamemaster__  Online
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

persona 5 is one of the best jrpg but i enjoyed dq11 more.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Best Sony exclusive would be Bloodborne and not some slow ass JRPG.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@blamix said:

@i_p_daily: you should give it a try. Might increase your IQ from 1 to 2

I would have to buy a PS4 and that would drop my IQ down to your level which is -100.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

I'd like to try this game someday, certainly get a lot of praise.

neogeo2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 neogeo2k2
Member since 2019 • 145 Posts

@Litchie:

Right you’re.

Bloodborne is amazing.

Stupid hard, but it makes you keep coming for more.

P5 to me was super boring, and just couldn’t get into it.

Honestly didn’t see the appeal for this game. It definitely has a selected audience.

But I did like, and enjoyed DQ11

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39385 Posts

Never understood what people see in this series.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Ewww...

:P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Chutebox: I didn't either - on paper. But I bought P4G on PC just to give it a go and it really sucked me in. Not a huge JRPG fan either....

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

@sargentd said:

Well the current gen is now becoming the past and I just wanted to show my appreciation for the one Sony exclusive that really impressed me and that's Persona 5. This game was easily my favorite Turn Based RPG of this gen (possibly ever), very solid.

Everything from the artwork, music, combat mechanics, writing. Just overall an amazing game. I'm not a huge JRPG fan. I play them from time to time. I have played 2 shin megami tensei games, 4 and devil survivor 2 record breaker on the DS. Persona 5 was my first Persona game and I must say I'm just really impressed.

There have been some other heavy hitter turn based rpgs, FF7 remake, Octopath, DQ10, but man Persona 5... something about it just drips. It's just such a unique gem of a game.

Sony imo this gen... was well.. overrated TBH. A heavy saturation of 3rd person action adventure games and this game stood out as something really unique out of the bunch imo. Atlus did a hell of a job with this game. I find it almost criminal this is only available on PS5 tbh.. More people need to play it. After playing persona 5 I really want to play persona 4. Could get it now on PC but i'm hoping for a switch port. I want to play it on a handheld, like I did devil survivor a while back.

But yeah, easily my favorite Sony exclusive this gen is Persona 5.

Sidenote: i'm no weeaboo, quite the opposite. But I can recognize that this game is a diamond. Congrats to Atlus for making the best turn based RPG this gen, and congrats to Sony for locking down that exclusivity contract.. (i guess...)

Never got into the Persona series myself, but different strokes. And is that Dean Ween as your avatar? That's quite brown of you.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2255 Posts

Nahh it’s a good game, but definitely overstay it’s welcome quite a bit... and yeah there has been several better turn based rpgs in this gen!

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts

@i_p_daily: haha i like it :D but bullsh!t aside playing games like Persona 5 might increase your cute tiny IQ my friend.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@blamix said:

@i_p_daily: haha i like it :D but bullsh!t aside playing games like Persona 5 might increase your cute tiny IQ my friend.

Its true, you literally lose IQ points upon buying a Playstation, its a well known fact, there was even a study done and here are the RESULTS.

:)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts

What makes these games palatable is the great production values, good soundtracks, great localization, and the various activities help break up the monotony (juggle social and dungeon crawling bits). And NG+ makes each game in series worth a second run. It helps too most characters are quite likable and if they aren't there's more potential social links to explore instead.

It's nice too this being an SMT sub-series, whether that means going into it with knowledge of the various personas and their abilities and strengths and weaknesses, and for newbies this is knowledge they can take into trying out other SMT games and sub-series. Though it's worth pointing out trying out other SMT games and sub-series after starting out with Persona does make getting into others more of an acquired taste. Production values aren't anywhere near where these Persona games are, nor as gratifying in a kind of whole package approach, but they stand out for their challenge.

Downsides for me, I hate when the game sinks into the long stretches with no freedom. I get the game likes to stick to a calendar deadline and that pushes players to make most of time, and some of these mandatory parts are quite amusing, but some overstay their welcome and they drag on too long.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59169 Posts

Looks like a PS2 game.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16577 Posts

Most people don't play these types of games. It's very fringey, takes like 100 hours to beat and the story is heavy and messed up.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Most people don't play these types of games. It's very fringey, takes like 100 hours to beat and the story is heavy and messed up.

I wouldn't understand you out of all people to understand true art.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

If charizard1605 was still around, he be proud of this thread.

Anyway, Persona 5 was a great game for the PS4, another reason why PS4 remains as the top selling console of last-gen has to offer.

SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SheevPalpamemes

@davillain- said:

If charizard1605 was still around, he be proud of this thread.

Anyway, Persona 5 was a great game for the PS4, another reason why PS4 remains as the top selling console of last-gen has to offer.

Where did he go?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16577 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

If this was a multiplat no one would care about it, but because Sony paid for exclusivity its a game cows love lol.

umm...I have a ps5 and XsX, also switch. Wouldn't buy this game for any of the consoles. I remember I tried to get into the game on my ps vita like 7 years back and I couldn't do it. It was just...ugh. Well, I haven't enjoyed an rpg in a long time. The last jrpg that I actually enjoyed was tales of vesperia, which I originally played on my xbox 360. I got like half way and gave up on it bc it was too heavy for me. Incidentally they released the game again for gamepass and I started playing it again. Hopefully this time I can get through it. Well i'm a bit wierd though, I loved playing advancecd wars, fire emblem, golden sun, chrono trigger etc.

SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SheevPalpamemes

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@i_p_daily said:

umm...I have a ps5 and XsX, also switch. Wouldn't buy this game for any of the consoles. I remember I tried to get into the game on my ps vita like 7 years back and I couldn't do it. It was just...ugh. Well, I haven't enjoyed an rpg in a long time. The last jrpg that I actually enjoyed was tales of vesperia, which I originally played on my xbox 360. I got like half way and gave up on it bc it was too heavy for me. Incidentally they released the game again for gamepass and I started playing it again. Hopefully this time I can get through it. Well i'm a bit wierd though, I loved playing advancecd wars, fire emblem, golden sun, chrono trigger etc.

Some people are just too simple to understand true art.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

@sheevpalpamemes: He left GS for a good reason and had to delete his own account and this was almost 2 years ago.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

@davillain-:

What happened with charizard?