Phil Spencer comments on Microsoft Studios game quality

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Interesting read, enjoy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/xbox-boss-on-microsoft-s-struggles-with-game-quality-an-1835740535/amp

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Wait, he's hyped for the games he didn't show at E3? lol

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Ant_17: I guess so lol

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Talk is cheap. They need to deliver on AAAA titles and then I'm willing to hear it.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

@Shewgenja: Yeah, I am still waiting for that AAAA game announcement. I hope he wasn’t talking about halo infinite.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44230 Posts

Good read. Yeah they’ve had a few games with rough launches that could have used a bit more polish like Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, and State of Decay 2 but they do already have a number of studios that make great games like The Coalition, 343i, Turn 10, and Playground Games. They’ve also recently acquired some very good studios that can definitely make quality games as well as creating a new studio in The Initiative which sounds very promising indeed. I have faith that they’ll have plenty of good talent that will make great games.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11106 Posts

Man, those games have been trash. If it's not Halo/Gears/Forza related, then those 1st party games have been looking spooky. You know things aren't good when they barely want to show off Gears 5 footage. MS needs good games, instead of spending all that money astroturfing ResetEra.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Not even interested in a Phil Spencer interview. 5 years of them without delivering is enough.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

All in all he had to NOT show anything.

I think after MS committed to E3, after Sony said they weren't coming, and MS bragged about how it was going to be their biggest E3 EVAR, they realized that Sony played them on multiple levels.

Putting on a great show and giving us all we expected and wanted to see would have a negative leveraging effect against Sony in the end.

When Sony jumped ahead of them detailing all the next gen console key points before they could do it at E3 I think the situation started to sink in for Phil.

It was a lose lose situation:

Let's say MS Showed off their blockbuster AAA next gen games such as FABLE, Gameplay of Halo infinite, (still confused why no Gears gameplay but wutevs) a new Perfect Dark (guessing here) next gen Forza Motorspot. Now say they gave specific details of Scarlet such as GPU speed, CPU speed, TF's ect.

Now...

What do they have to show for E3 2020 that will excite people??? Also, Sony knows EXACTLY what MS is working with in terms of upcoming games and hardware to totally KO them E3 2020.

That is why ultimately they HAD to have a shit show with nothing in the end because they realized Sony played them.

Sony will not reveal PS5 PSX2019 as I had previously thought because MS hasn't done anything to increase their profile and because they're going to release PS5 holiday 2020 instead of March 2020.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

More Phil Spencer talk..... lol loser lems will never learn

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Man, those games have been trash. If it's not Halo/Gears/Forza related, then those 1st party games have been looking spooky. You know things aren't good when they barely want to show off Gears 5 footage. MS needs good games, instead of spending all that money astroturfing ResetEra.

Not showing off gears is confusing. Gameplay must really be ass.

As for the rest, I completely agree with not showing off upcoming games even though they look like idiots in the process. Sony would use that information to savagely slaughter MS E3 2020.

Ultimately Sony was smarter than everyone else.

The part that makes me laugh and say, "Gotcha bitch" is knowing everyone was saying Sony isn't attending E3 because they had nothing to show; then finding out MS also had nothing to show LITERALLY NOTHING BUT CGI TRAILERS and ended up looking even worse for showing up than Sony who stayed home and saved millions in the process.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BenjaminBanklin
@boxrekt said:

As for the rest, I completely agree with not showing off upcoming games even though they look like idiots in the process. Sony would use that information to savagely slaughter MS E3 2020.

The part that makes me laugh and say, "Gotcha bitch" is knowing everyone was saying Sony isn't attending E3 because they had nothing to show; then finding out MS also had nothing to show LITERALLY NOTHING BUT CGI TRAILERS and ended up looking even worse for showing up than Sony who stayed home and saved millions in the process.

Say what you will about Sony's E3 last year, but at least they showed off GAMEPLAY from their upcoming games. MS was on cruise control this year with their Youtube highlight reel basically sleeping at the wheel. Marketing a bunch of games that will sell 3 times more on Playstation with the rest of the first party better off being played on PC.

Ninja Theory almost sounded apologetic for Bleeding Edge, "We have other games on the way". And how does a game that's supposed to be made for PC end up being the Xbox game of the show? Didn't stop Xgoons from damage controlling the shit outta that trainwreck though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58348 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@boxrekt said:

Say what you will about Sony's E3 last year, but at least they showed off GAMEPLAY from their upcoming games. MS was on cruise control this year with their Youtube highlight reel basically sleeping at the wheel. Marketing a bunch of games that will sell 3 times more on Playstation with the rest of the first party better off being played on PC.

Ninja Theory almost sounded apologetic for Bleeding Edge, "We have other games on the way". And how does a game that's supposed to be made for PC end up being the Xbox game of the show? Didn't stop Xgoons from damage controlling the shit outta that trainwreck though.

I think we've been in it for a while now, but this is the era of market first, develop later. Someone comes up with a neat idea for a game, they pitch it, executives are sold on it, they develop some cool videos for it that don't show gameplay but get people hyped, and maybe they develop a test level for gameplay.

*BTW what is Bleeding Edge? Overwatch clone?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69589 Posts

Its always interesting seeing the usual essay writers in Phil Spencer thread. :)

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BenjaminBanklin
@Pedro said:

Its always interesting seeing the usual essay writers in Phil Spencer thread. :)

It's always interesting to hear from the usual white knights in the Phil Spencer thread.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#16 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69589 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Pedro said:

It's always interesting to hear from the usual white knights in the Phil Spencer thread.

Please feel free to share the white knighting comments in this thread. :)

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Since zero epyon's thread seems to be more active than this thread despite being created after this thread I will lock this thread so that people can discuss this topic in zero epyon's thread.