PS4 Pro's Blu-Ray drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

So I pre-ordered a PS4 Pro, even though it doesn't have a 4k Blu-Ray drive. Do you think Sony can make an External 4k Blu-Ray drive for the PS4 Pro that plugs into a USB 3.1 port?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@xhawk27: Nah. Theyll probably just release a new updated console at an affordable price.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Nope

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xhawk27

@MonsieurX said:

Nope

Any tech reason it couldn't work?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@xhawk27: Nah. Theyll probably just release a new updated console at an affordable price.

Probably already in the pipeline to be released next year

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xhawk27

@GarGx1 said:
@iandizion713 said:

Probably already in the pipeline to be released next year

The PS4 Pro +

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

I honestly believe this is a huge mistake on Sony's part.

This, coming from the company that pushed regular Blu-Ray so hard in the beginning.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xhawk27

@danjammer69 said:

I honestly believe this is a huge mistake on Sony's part.

This, coming from the company that pushed regular Blu-Ray so hard in the beginning.

That is why I am saying release an external add-on for $99 like six months after the release of the console for people that can choose to buy it or not.

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SuperFlyZero
Member since 2015 • 414 Posts

Sony doesn't believe in the format.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

So I pre-ordered a PS4 Pro, even though it doesn't have a 4k Blu-Ray drive. Do you think Sony can make an External 4k Blu-Ray drive for the PS4 Pro that plugs into a USB 3.1 port?

Not a chance. Sony has already stated that they don't see a future in physical 4K Blu-ray.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xhawk27

@emgesp said:
@xhawk27 said:

Not a chance. Sony has already stated that they don't see a future in physical 4K Blu-ray.

A format they started.... Ok. You guys do know they are making a stand-alone 4k Blu-Ray box.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that USB external drives are not HDCP compliant.

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SuperFlyZero
Member since 2015 • 414 Posts

@xhawk27 said:
@emgesp said:
@xhawk27 said:

A format they started.... Ok. You guys do know they are making a stand-alone 4k Blu-Ray box.

Sony's lack of faith in the future of physical media makes me think we might be in for a digitally exclusive path going forward.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xhawk27

@Shewgenja said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that USB external drives are not HDCP compliant.

you might be right. Though didn't the Xbox 360 have an external HD-DVD drive?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
@xhawk27 said:
@MonsieurX said:

Nope

Any tech reason it couldn't work?

None. No point for Sony to do that

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@xhawk27: it was not hdcp compliant if I remember correctly. Studios didnt start really implementing the token til late 07 but dont catch me lying thats some ancient history now lol

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#17 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

@xhawk27: Don't know if they made the 4k format. They did create the blueray format and it was a battle again the HDdvd format Microsoft was pushing at that time

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Wait for the PS4 Pro Duo :).

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12334 Posts

No idea but it wouldn't be a terrible idea tbh. Just one that might aggravate people with little positive outcome.

It may seem odd to see Sony turn a blind eye to UHD but the truth is streaming is the primary tool for delivering content. UHD Blu Rays are mostly for the enthusiast, which I'm afraid isn't the main market for PlayStation. If Sony wanted to build a box for enthusiasts, they'd make a PS5 with UHD etc. Think of it this way, if you own a 4KTV right now, your options of 4K content is incredibly limited to the point where 4K Blu Rays are the only real option but that isn't going to be the case forever.

4k streaming is going to be huge in the next 6-18 months and that's where the massive market is. Netflix and Amazon already have 4K / HDR content and they're only expanding. A lot of other OTTs are going to move over to 4K as well. A 4K content boom is going to happen very soon and it's going to be led by streaming.

Sony's decision to leave out UHD Blu Ray is a real sign that this is the new Sony and not the old.

Microsoft's decision to add UHD is very smart for them. They are in a position where they need to add value to their console because at end of the day, they couldn't and arguably cannot keep up with PS4. They won't be able to keep up with PS4 Pro either until Scorpio is released ..... 9+ months from now. You have to provide the consumer with an alternative or else they'll just leave you. Put it this way, if the Xbox One S didn't have 4K streaming or UHD Blu-Ray, PlayStation would mop the floor with them because of PS4 Pro. The PS4 Pro is only an alternative to Xbox One S, it's already an alternative for Scorpio. Smart move both parties.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

The bit-rate difference between Blu-Ray 4K Disc (which Xbox One S should be able to play) and the bit-rate of the streaming lossy stuff

is actually big, like comparing the Wav/Flac format to a MP3 file.

By using the Disc itself you can tell the quality of the camera the Director used while filming the movie.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22390 Posts

Man it's such a joke that it doesn't have 4k Blu-ray drive... unbelievably ridiculous.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

Pretty dumb decision to not include one.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

Next year's new $400 model should fix the problems of this year.

Thank you, Sony.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

It is a dumb decision to not include one... at face value anyway. The only way I can see that being somewhat justified is if it was actually the tipping point between being able to and not being able to sell this thing at $400. If including the UHD Blu-Ray drive would have forced the price upward in a major way... well then maybe I can understand.

What is clear is that Sony isn't going for "premium" pricing like Microsoft said they are for the Scorpio.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44620 Posts

I'm guessing either:

• Sony promises to firmware update PS4 Neo to make vanilla Blu-ray play UHD Blu-rays
  • Sony promises update to make your 1080p movies look like 4K movies
  • Sony announces new version of PS4 Neo with UHD Blu-ray drive sometime next year

Actually, I think one of those will be the inevitable outcome, can you guess which it is?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts
@PraetorianMan said:

It is a dumb decision to not include one... at face value anyway. The only way I can see that being somewhat justified is if it was actually the tipping point between being able to and not being able to sell this thing at $400. If including the UHD Blu-Ray drive would have forced the price upward in a major way... well then maybe I can understand.

What is clear is that Sony isn't going for "premium" pricing like Microsoft said they are for the Scorpio.

Microsoft didn't say it has premium pricing, they said it's a premium product.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@PraetorianMan said:

They said that in direct context to its price though.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@PraetorianMan said:
@dynamitecop said:
@PraetorianMan said:

They said that in direct context to its price though.

But that doesn't necessarily mean it will be priced high or even expensive, a lot of people are confusing what that actually means. It can easily mean it will have a higher premium than what is available currently which is the direct definition of what premium is.

The most expensive console available at the launch of Scorpio will be the PlayStation 4 Pro at $399.99, Xbox Scorpio being $449.99 or $499.99 for example would place it at a premium compared to what else is available and their costs associated with it on the market.

Premium is in addition to what is traditionally expected or available, it doesn't imply it will be highly priced, and for what they are saying the definition of premium simply means that their device is better than what is available.