Respawn addresses underwhelming Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order gameplay, releases extended version

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59024 Posts

Are you still not entertained?

It's fair to say the initial public reaction to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order's gameplay was... subdued. In response to the 15 minute gameplay clip shown at EA Play before E3, fans said they felt underwhelmed by the combat, and expressed disappointment at what they considered to be bland and linear gameplay.

To add to the confusion, journalists were then shown an extended version of this demo later on at EA Play, which displayed a cinematic AT-AT scene, a brief look at the skill tree save points, alternative paths and additional combat combinations produced through the mastering of special abilities.

And then during E3 itself, several journalists (including me) were able to go hands-on with an extended extended version of the gameplay demo, which displayed more of the Metroidvania influences and gave critics an understanding of what the mechanics actually felt like.

Having watched the gameplay demo and played the game, I was surprised at the depth of the combat mechanics under the surface (they're solid even if they're not yet perfect) - but also that the Metroidvania elements were not initially shown to the public. Now, Fallen Order's game director Stig Asmussen has addressed the fan reaction to that public gameplay demo, and Respawn has released the extended gameplay footage shown to press.

"We spent months going back and forth discussing the best strategy to release this content, and ultimately decided for the first-look, it was critical to present a focused 15 minutes of raw, in-game footage highlighting lightsaber gameplay that speaks to the Jedi fantasy in an empowering way," Asmussen explained in the blog post.

"But it should not be mistaken that our combat is overpowered or easy," he continued. "I promise there is considerable challenge and depth to be found within our combat system. The same can be said about our approach to level design, which is crafted in a non-linear way with heavy influences from games like Metroid, Castlevania, and the Souls series.

"The game will feature several planets that the player can elect to travel to via starship. On these worlds unique abilities and upgrades can be found that open up new paths across other planets, making retraversal an essential part of the gameplay experience."

The reason for not showing all of this in the initial demo, Asmussen explained, was because it is "a lot to describe in 15 minutes of gameplay", and "getting hands on the full 25 minute experience is best to completely understand it".

While Asmussen believes the game is on track in terms of making the gameplay "feel good", he said Respawn is still "continually play testing to ensure the game challenges even the most skilled player, while not alienating those who want to take a more casual approach.

"And, maybe most importantly, we also want to make sure that the game is delivering on the core promise of becoming a Jedi."

ersonally, I think part of the problem with the gameplay demo was that the combat was executed flawlessly and without useful context (such as a tutorial): it was impossible for viewers to get a sense of the true technicality of those combinations. It's tricky, however, as Respawn would have wanted to display the full capabilities of a Jedi knight once the combat has been mastered.

Equally, I can also understand why Respawn wanted to keep things simple by not showing the Metroidvania-style maps and level design, but displaying these elements would have made the game stand out as more unique.

In any case, if you want to finally see some of those much-discussed features, check out the full 25-minute extended video above. And, if you want to follow Asmussen's advice in learning more about how it feels to play, have a read of my hands-on preview piece here.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purch

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44228 Posts

I thought it looked pretty good initially myself and I still think that it looks good now. ?‍♂️

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56150 Posts

I personally wasn't underwhelm what I saw at E3 2019, it look good to me and the gameplay is what I expected. Respawn did the be st they could but I been reading things about fans weren't happy there's very little dismembering while slashing the Lightsaber and it's due to Disney is a family friendly that's limited to what you can do. But then again, Knights of the Old Republic/Sith Lords, Force Unleashed didn't have dismembering so I'm more surprise this is an issue now. The whole dismembering seems to add more underwhelming statement.

Either way, I'm still looking forward to playing Jedi Fallen Order day one and I'm doing it for Respawn, not EA themselves.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Looks pretty fucking dope tbh.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The e3 presentation was the alpha build, right? I didn't think it wasn't anything to write home about in the state we saw it. What November brings is a different story......hopefully.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I think Greg was too hyped and ruined it for everyone. I liked it.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

Guess it looks good if you're a Star Wars fan--but then again, that's what I said about The Last Jedi too, then y'all ended up hating that thing more than I did.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

The game looked pretty generic on all fronts based off the e3 demo. Not sure what other perspectives you can show that would make it more interesting... they showed a whole lot of gameplay.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator

@enzyme36 said:

The game looked pretty generic on all fronts based off the e3 demo. Not sure what other perspectives you can show that would make it more interesting... they showed a whole lot of gameplay.

If they added Space Battles, then we'd be really talking.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

Did Disney allow for dismemberment in the extended gameplay?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator

@lundy86_4 said:

Did Disney allow for dismemberment in the extended gameplay?

Nothing has been change but however, I mean, dismembering is their, just from the scores that is and to me, it's how a Lightsaber should work. I don't expect Respawn to do anything about it, PC modders will make it better by having a proper dismembering similar to Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast.

I say, let Disney keep the friendly Star Wars for family and PC Modders will do all the work.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14417 Posts

I'm sure Ea will ruin it with surprise methods.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

@davillain- said:

Nothing has been change but however, I mean, dismembering is their, just from the scores that is and to me, it's how a Lightsaber should work. I don't expect Respawn to do anything about it, PC modders will make it better by having a proper dismembering similar to Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast.

I say, let Disney keep the friendly Star Wars for family and PC Modders will do all the work.

Haha, I know. I was being facetious. It's just such a silly requirement, given the game is directly addressed at an older audience. Disney do what Disney do.

Yeah, hopefully modders are actually able to do some decent work.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

@davillain- said:
@enzyme36 said:

If they added Space Battles, then we'd be really talking.

You got me there... if you can swap from space to ground gameplay on the fly, that would be something.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Not enough force use in the demo. I really enjoyed Force Unleashed. This seems to play somewhat similar.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

It still looks really wack.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58348 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

The e3 presentation was the alpha build, right? I didn't think it wasn't anything to write home about in the state we saw it. What November brings is a different story......hopefully.

That's what we call context right there: it was the alpha build. People, including the PR folks for the game, need to slow their roll and understand that this is just a taste. The game might be completely different when it comes out, might be the same but polished...honestly though the one thing we should all take away from showings like this is that it's not to be taken as gospel that what we are shown is remotely close to final build quality.

@Ant_17 said:

I think Greg was too hyped and ruined it for everyone. I liked it.

Yeah, hype is the destroyer of hope.

Publisher/Developer: "Are you guys ready for an unfinished alpha build of rough-looking gameplay?"
Fans:"Yeah!"
P/D: "I said...ARE YOU GUYS READY FOR SOME ALPHA BULLSHIT YOU SHOULDN'T REALLY LOOK AT IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE GAME!?!?!?
F: "OMG MY BODY IS READY! SHOW ME SHOW ME!"
***15 minutes later***
P/D: "WOW! That was incredible, hope you're as excited as I am"
F: "Meh..."

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

The game sucked. I'm not going to waste my time watching this video, need to watch other more priority videos. Also, I'm trying to cut my watching time.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

If they want to recreate the uncharted experience then show us the amazing setpieces. That is boring as heck. If they are trying to go dark souls show us the impossible to beat enemies not fodders. If they want to show metroidvania show us the open ended exploration not linear uncharted style.

I came away very underwhelmed, i am already bias agains EA, this weak af trailer not helping anyone. But I do hope its a success, if it fails I imagine EA will move away from single player cometely using this game as scapegoat.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I wasn't overly impressed with it. Looks like a slightly more polished TFU and those games were shit.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts

Might be a good game but tbh it looks very meh, it's attached to EA and Disney have killed much of my enthusiasm for anything star wars related.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34628 Posts

EA. Disney. Star Wars.

Sorry, but there's no way this could turn out good.

As long as EA and Disney have Star Wars in their clutches, Star Wars doesn't exist. Now we just have some weird, crappy alternate version of Star Wars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Such pandering out of desperation.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8477 Posts

Can this franchise die, please? I'll never understand what people find interesting in Star Wars.

Oh and the game still sucks.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24937 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

Can this franchise die, please? I'll never understand what people find interesting in Star Wars.

Oh and the game still sucks.

star wars is incredibly overrated. either in games or movies.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

So, basically, they made an E3 demo to appeal to average joe Star Wars fans and forgot that E3 is a gamer oriented show open to criticism by gamers?

All of the mechanics they talk about after the fact is exactly what would have gone a long way to having a better presentation and reaction from the audience. Maybe stop treating core gamers like an afterthought?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Feel very torn about this game. It has some presentation problem. Not 100 % sure what it is. But some things looks really off (like the water and the face of the wookie at the end). Also combat is a bit unimpactful. Giant spider enemies is such a dull trope. Some of the gameplay is a bit unimaginative like the platforming sections.

Those negatives being said I still think there's a lot of good in there too. Sometimes combat does look cool. There seems to be a good selection of moves and some creativity in how you combine them. I do like the metroidvania structure in general, so that's cool. The robot companion is cute and charming.

Overall I do want to play it. I think the reception I have seen is a bit too harsh in general based on some fairly shallow issues. It all comes down to how fun combat actually is to play and that's just real hard to tell from promotional footage.