Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 959 Posts

A while back I was going to get a Steam Deck but with the release of the Ally I decided to wait out a little longer. Being able to play Steam, Xbox, Epic, and etc all on one device is a huge plus. Just wondering who all has one and what ya think about it?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17849 Posts
Loading Video...

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

Kinda wish I waited, but didn't know about it at the time and got a deck. Might get the next iteration if it does well.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39389 Posts

Handheld tech is not yet there to take handhelds seriously. Who want to play a game for an hour, and have their batteries completely drained in such a short time?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

@BassMan said:
Loading Video...

That's too bad.

Is it a common issue, or maybe he just got a bad one?

@hardwenzen said:

Handheld tech is not yet there to take handhelds seriously. Who want to play a game for an hour, and have their batteries completely drained in such a short time?

Yeah this is why I avoid the platform/medium entirely. Among other reasons.

I know a lot of people will scoff when I say this, but...maybe read a book? Stare out the window and enjoy the landscape? Meditate and just breath?

There's nothing wrong with just doing nothing. Your brain doesn't need to be constantly engaged with a distraction. I would argue if it does, you might want to address that as a problem you need to work out.

There just seems to be too much baggage with mobile platforms for it to seem really viable. At least to me. I know many folks use it as their primary platform and that's cool.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Already had gotten a Deck late last year, but hearing about the teething issues the Ally is going though I would've waited at least several months anyways. The Deck also gave me appreciation for an appropriately crafted OS/UI, something Microsoft has apparently struggle with for the smaller form factor.

@mrbojangles25 said:

@hardwenzen said:

Yeah this is why I avoid the platform/medium entirely. Among other reasons.

I know a lot of people will scoff when I say this, but...maybe read a book? Stare out the window and enjoy the landscape? Meditate and just breath?

There's nothing wrong with just doing nothing. Your brain doesn't need to be constantly engaged with a distraction. I would argue if it does, you might want to address that as a problem you need to work out.

There just seems to be too much baggage with mobile platforms for it to seem really viable. At least to me. I know many folks use it as their primary platform and that's cool.

I've found these types of devices to be fantastic for visiting friends' (who don't have more advanced gaming devices or a 2 player library) residences for a fun evening or afternoon. Just load up on local co-op games, grab a bunch of controllers and HDMI/USB-C hub, and let the games begin. I do/did so with my best friend and last two and current S.O.s and it's a great bonding experience, especially if they're used to Wii graphics and the like.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts

I bought one because I'm trying to actually complete games in my backlog and this allows me to do it.

I was initially all in on Steam Deck but waited a year for them to get the Windows drivers ironed out....they still haven't and I don't want to fight to get thr controller to work.

Ironically, the ROG Ally has software issues atm where the controllers don't always register. It's been super annoying, but when it works the Ally is amazing.

I love that I can run at 720p and AMDs upscale makes it look 1080p on this small screen. Currently playing through Sleeping Dogs and max settings at 60fps while relaxing in bed

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44356 Posts

Wouldn’t mind getting one myself. However holding off for now. It’s a hot sector of gaming hardware right now and things are improving at a pretty good pace so going to wait a bit and see how things go in the next little while.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 navyguy21

@Archangel3371 said:

Wouldn’t mind getting one myself. However holding off for now. It’s a hot sector of gaming hardware right now and things are improving at a pretty good pace so going to wait a bit and see how things go in the next little while.

Nvidia NEEDS to make a more potent mobile GPU that supports DLSS, I think that would a game changer on mobile hardware.

The ROG Ally's power is what sold me but I do miss Nvidia's mature drivers and features.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44356 Posts

@navyguy21: Yeah I do like the power of the Ally. I also like that it supports Windows. As a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber I would have a lot to play on it from the get go. Hopefully Microsoft will be serious and put some solid functionality into Windows that will support the handheld aspect.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 navyguy21

@Archangel3371:

Definitely.

It's hilarious that people hated Windows 8...but that would be perfect for a handheld PC lol

Brayheel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Brayheel
Member since 2021 • 5 Posts

Planning to get one shortly after I buy a ROG laptop.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

I sold my Deck for an Ally with the 2022 Radeon eGPU. Any game, ultra settings at minimum 100fps.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Nah. I'd rather upgrade my PC than get a weak and expensive handheld one.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46488 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

I love that I can run at 720p and AMDs upscale makes it look 1080p on this small screen. Currently playing through Sleeping Dogs and max settings at 60fps while relaxing in bed

Honestly that sounds amazing, been meaning to give sleeping dogs another try.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 719 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

@navyguy21: Yeah I do like the power of the Ally. I also like that it supports Windows. As a Game Pass Ultimate subscriber I would have a lot to play on it from the get go. Hopefully Microsoft will be serious and put some solid functionality into Windows that will support the handheld aspect.

It is the Microsoft Surface and the Window Phone 10 - Microsoft configures Windows for the handheld aspect with success. The software exist and is waiting for solid hardware.

Windows can do any thing. You can see running Smart Projector, Surface Board, the embedding device, Windows can configure + run on any thing and worked perfectly!!

ASUS launch this with co opration of Microsoft and feature the Xbox Game Pass 3 months for premium Xbox handheld.If there is the problem it is not the problem of Windows and Microsoft and Xbox.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThatForumUser
@theam0g said:

I sold my Deck for an Ally with the 2022 Radeon eGPU. Any game, ultra settings at minimum 100fps.

The Xbox Series X better than the eGPU you can play on the real Xbox and Cross Save on you Game Pass for the ASUS ROG Ally and like ultra settings on Series X 😁

@Litchie said:

Upgrade to XbSeX!!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

@thatforumuser said:
@Litchie said:

Upgrade to XbSeX!!

Hard to think of dumber things I could do.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23950 Posts

I have one, considering the illness I have been diagnosed with, being able to lie down rather than sitting on a desktop to play video games has been a godsend.

Overall I am satisfied, even if the machine aint perfect.

Since there are people who mock me for still using a 1070. Keep in mind, that I could have used that money to buy a 40XX graphics card, but I chose a ROG Ally instead ;) And I certainly got way more out of a ally already than a 40XX.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23950 Posts

@theam0g said:

Got a link to that?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9581 Posts

I've got one and it's great. I'm very happy I waited to get one. The newest update allows it to push 30w on a lower power supply. It plays most games at 60 fps or higher. I have it hooked up to my big screen and I have a lapboard with a wireless mouse and keyboard for playing my current favorite game on PC DC Dual Force and its amazing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

@Maroxad said:
@theam0g said:

Got a link to that?

Link

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

I am interested in a Steam Deck, but the ROG Ally seems like a problem to everyone who ever bought one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

@Willy105 said:

I am interested in a Steam Deck, but the ROG Ally seems like a problem to everyone who ever bought one.

The Deck will also be a problem when you find out that every good title on your Steam library isn't compatible because of anti-cheat and playing AAA titles at 20fps on low settings is the best you're going to get on a $300 device.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 navyguy21

@Willy105 said:

To be fair, Steam Deck also had a ton of issues at launch.

I think the ROG Ally easily fixable since it runs on windows. It has about 50% more power than the deck and features the deck doesn't have.

The VRR screen and integrated FSR makes a huge difference on a handheld.

The Software bugs will be ironed out, I'm really enjoying the power of this thing.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

The PC games I enjoy the most don't translate well to a small screen (or trackpad/thumbsticks tbh), and a device like this is kind of overkill for retro emulation. It could be fun as a short-haul travel system, but that's not something I need either.

Impressive system all the same!

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ThatForumUser

@sancho_panzer: It is impressive like the portable Series S with Game Pass!!

@navyguy21: Every player know how to use and fix Windows but if something wrong on Steam Deck no body know what to do you so Steam Deck is most risky compatibility problems nothing works and no body can help you.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts
@navyguy21 said:
@Willy105 said:

To be fair, Steam Deck also had a ton of issues at launch.

I think the ROG Ally easily fixable since it runs on windows. It has about 50% more power than the deck and features the deck doesn't have.

The VRR screen and integrated FSR makes a huge difference on a handheld.

The Software bugs will be ironed out, I'm really enjoying the power of this thing.

The ROG Ally seems to be the better product in nearly every way. The only advantage Steam Deck really has over it is the trackpads. ROG Ally supports UHS-II so you can utilize Micro SD cards 2-3 times faster than the ones supported on the Steam Deck. It's easier and less intimidating for beginners to be able to upgrade the SSD on the ROG Ally compared to the Steam Deck. The ROG Ally is quieter and cooler than the Steam Deck at the same wattage. The ROG Ally charges faster.

The only real major flaw with Ally is that the placement of the SD card reader is near the exhaust has been reported to cause cards to melt. I really want an ROG Ally but until that is fixed I will have to get a Steam Deck instead.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4580 Posts

I will be getting one soon. I am getting this as well as upgrading my pc. Both will happen by the end of the year. I have been going back and forth between this and Steamdeck, and the big issue I have with steamdeck is that some games just won't work due to anti-cheat software.

My buddy has one and it is the only way he plays right now.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ThatForumUser

@iambatman7986: The Steam Deck is no support - no body know how to do any thing on it. ROG Ally is full Microsoft Windows support and every body understand it and does not have the problem and bug of steam OS - the Steam OS is not a real OS. You can not even find the EXE and do not know where any thing install. File is every where and do not know where the configuration file are and no reg edit to fix any problem you can not back up any app you download there is only script hell for install apps - you can not find any zip file to download apps easy like Window for the steam OS!! And when you install Windows it is more money waste on Steam Deck and batter die in 30 minute!!

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ThatForumUser

@NoodleFighter: Go back to school Gabe Newle!!! 😁

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

I'll be selling my Ally setup (Ally, radeon 6850xt egpu, dual stand for both the handheld and egpu, rog earbuds, and rog Ally official case for $1300 on ebay soon if anyone is interested. All boxes included.

$500 savings 🫶

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

@theam0g: Why are you selling it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
@nod_calypse said:

I use it at work. If money isn't an issue, touting around a simple 4090 laptop will be much easier than a portable monitor, a handheld and its case, an eGPU and its case along with an hdmi cord, external SSD and power cord.

So I just ordered an Alienware m16 with a rtx 4090. I love this handheld setup though. I just finished Cyberpunk in ultra settings running at a silky smooth 70 fps in 1080p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@theam0g said:
@nod_calypse said:

I use it at work. If money isn't an issue, touting around a simple 4090 laptop will be much easier than a portable monitor, a handheld and its case, an eGPU and its case along with an hdmi cord, external SSD and power cord.

So I just ordered an Alienware m16 with a rtx 4090. I love this handheld setup though. I just finished Cyberpunk in ultra settings running at a silky smooth 70 fps in 1080p

Damn, nice. I'm looking at the m16 as well. Not wanting to drop 3k at the moment, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
@nod_calypse said:
@theam0g said:
@nod_calypse said:

Damn, nice. I'm looking at the m16 as well. Not wanting to drop 3k at the moment, though.

There's a sale now at Dell: A m16 with a 4090, 32gigs RAM and the high end Ryzen processor for $2700. With tax normally that would be $3500+. Plus Dell financing is always nice. Pay it off slowly but surely. No interest if paid off within the first year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@theam0g said:
@nod_calypse said:
@theam0g said:
@nod_calypse said:

There's a sale now at Dell: A m16 with a 4090, 32gigs RAM and the high end Ryzen processor for $2700. With tax normally that would be $3500+. Plus Dell financing is always nice. Pay it off slowly but surely. No interest if paid off within the first year.

Nice. Thanks. Checking it now.