NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1045 Posts

As of last month (as spotted by PushSquare and captured by the Internet Archive), the page included Japan Studio in the list, referring to it as “the long-standing talent behind some of PlayStation’s most original titles”.

As the page stands now, however, Japan Studio is no longer present. In its place is Team Asobi, the studio behind the pre-installed PS5 game Astro’s Playroom.

People with knowledge of the matter told VGC that Sony Japan Studio simply hasn’t been profitable enough in recent years.

Japan Studio was Sony Interactive Entertainment‘s oldest first-party studio, with a focus on introducing new styles of gameplay.

The developer was known for games such as Knack, LocoRoco and Ape Escape, as well as its collaborations on the likes of Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Everybody’s Golf. It most recently worked on PS5’s Demon’s Souls with US studio Bluepoint.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/playstation-has-officially-removed-japan-studio-from-its-list-of-studios/

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44611 Posts

"People with knowledge of the matter told VGC that Sony Japan Studio simply hasn’t been profitable enough in recent years."

Maybe they should have tried putting some of those games on PC, some Shadow of the Colossus perhaps.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39246 Posts

When they worked on BB and Demon's, what exactly were they doing? Demon's was made by Bluepoint and BB by Fromsoft, so what was Japan Studio's actual work?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@lamprey263: Knack on PC would have saved them.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

DIdn't they do Gravity Rush and its sequel? Shame to see Sony ripping out and disposing of their roots.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1467 Posts

@hardwenzen: Japan Studio is the producer/publisher of Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. They planned, budgeted, scheduled, marketed, and launched those games.

Edit: Technically, Demon's Souls (2009) was published by SCE in Japan, Atlus in North America, and Namco Bandai in Europe, and Bloodborne and Demon's Souls remakes were published by SIE. So it wasn't accurate that I called Japan Studio its publisher. But what I wanted to say was that members of SIE Japan Studio, including a Bloodborne producer Masaaki Yamagiwa, who recently left the studio, were in positions such as producer and manager of those games and helped develop and release them.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39246 Posts

@st_monica said:

@hardwenzen: Japan Studio is the producer/publisher of Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. They planned, budgeted, scheduled, marketed, and launched those games.

Well that sux then.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

RIP. There goes Bloodborne 2 and any form of remasters/PC versions, I guess.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Nobody cares, some joined Team Asobi and rest of them formed a new Studio Bokeh and some got laid off that’s life that’s business, maybe gamers should support them by buying their games instead of investing millions in crap games like Fortnite. Don’t blame Sony for loosing money on them and shutting them down. Great studio i still have most of their games

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

It's sad. Great dev, great games, tons of talent. It's not their fault word didn't get around.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

Sony's move towards being fully mainstream movie games is what sickens me most.

This studio had most of the "heart" left in the company.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Trimming the fat. Good work, Jimbo.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6953 Posts

@hardwenzen: Polishing up the udders.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@casey-wegner: You're almost as much of a one trick pony as Ghost, keep up the work you'll get there soon enough I'm sure.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

how weren't they profitable, i thought that all cows bought exclusives?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

Nice to see them getting rid of the little good they have left. One step closer to FIFA / CoD / 3rd person action/walking game console. Brodudes rejoice.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@Litchie said:

Nice to see them getting rid of the little good they have left. One step closer to FIFA / CoD / 3rd person action/walking game console. Brodudes rejoice.

For real. Can't understand why new Sony wants to be like old Xbox so badly, when they had it all before going woke and moving to the US.

What evs, Sony. I'll still pick up a digital PS5 just for a few exclusives this gen and absolutely nothing else.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:
@Litchie said:

For real. Can't understand why new Sony wants to be like Xbox so badly, when they had it all before going woke and moving to the US.

What evs, Sony. I'll still pick up a digital PS5 just for a few exclusives this gen and absolutely nothing else.

Sony wants to be as boring as the people, because they get more money that way. Not that hard to understand..

Just like the movie industry makes the same Avengers movie again and again earning billions on fucking crap, Sony wants the FIFA / CoD crowd. With this crowd, they can introduce their 3rd person action/walking games that even FIFA playing monkies can play, since they mostly play themselves. These are the people who get impressed by shit games with shiny coats that Sony is known for.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21  Edited By Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24978 Posts

@Litchie said:
@shadyacshuns said:
@Litchie said:

For real. Can't understand why new Sony wants to be like Xbox so badly, when they had it all before going woke and moving to the US.

Sony wants to be as boring as the people, because they get more money that way. Not that hard to understand..

Just like the movie industry makes the same Avengers movie again and again earning billions on fucking crap, Sony wants the FIFA / CoD crowd. With this crowd, they can introduce their 3rd person action/walking games that even FIFA playing monkies can play, since they mostly play themselves. These are the people who get impressed by shit games with shiny coats that Sony is known for.

True. even some of my real life friends barely play games impressed by sony third person because "OMG animationz" I can see what thier target audience is.

Microsoft are far and far above sony and its not even funny.

Microsoft have RTS, FPS, RPG and different variety of genre whereas Sony only have third person movie games.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8489 Posts

@Litchie said:
@shadyacshuns said:
@Litchie said:

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Well that sucks. The Playstation I used to love is pretty far gone at this point. I preferred their offerings for a long time because of the more distinctive Japanese and indie-centric flare they supported alongside the usual mainstream schlock. But unless things improve I am not sure I'll buy another PlayStation at this point

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45268 Posts

It's a tough business. They can't make games for 5 people 😄 Just a reminder to support your favorite franchises when you can.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44611 Posts

They never got to remaster Patapon 3... man, they should have done a remastered trilogy from the get-go, not this milking it trickle out.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

This is quite unfortunate for the first-party developer, but the fact that Sony moved its major corporate operation from Japan to California is more unfortunate. Why would Sony incorporate in a state that is one of the most business-unfriendly in America? California is losing businesses like Tesla to other states because of the heavy taxes and regulations imposed on them. Sony could have moved its operations to business-friendly states like Texas or Florida, but bring the woke nonsense with it.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44156 Posts

Closing studios is about the only thing Phony is good at these dayzz. lol :P

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#28 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Well that sucks. The Playstation I used to love is pretty far gone at this point. I preferred their offerings for a long time because of the more distinctive Japanese and indie-centric flare they supported alongside the usual mainstream schlock. But unless things improve I am not sure I'll buy another PlayStation at this point

Yep. How I feel too. Sony is becoming as generic as the rest of the AAA industry.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#29 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Same. The PS I loved died with the PS4, as the PS3 was the last to carry the variety from 1 and 2. And makes me glad I've been with XBOX and Nintendo primarily.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Still not a fan of this new Japan-less direction Sony is going in.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

So, all the wailing and keening aside, apart from "assistance" to other Sony teams (which is fine, but nothing unique or exciting), Team Asobi (who still exist) and the Knack games (lol), Japan Studio didn't actually make anything of note in the past decade?

What exactly is everyone going to miss? Knack 3? Bluepoint doing their next port by themselves?

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Litchie said:
@shadyacshuns said:
@Litchie said:

pretty much. it's typical business to get rid of what doesn't sell and make more of what does. Their walking simulators heavy on cut scene and story sell the most (TLOU, uncharted, etc) so that's what they will push more of. The market decides it more than anything and money talks.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Cya later kid You didn't make games I liked or bought....have a good one. Go quietly into the night.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#34 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69821 Posts

Sony sure knows how to kill off studios. How many studios of have died under Sony in the past 6 years?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts
Loading Video...

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7319 Posts

@onesiphorus: Been hearing this same talking point repeated my whole life. When you get down to it, all the business friendly states can manage to do is syphon off California's success. The debate about "why?" could be its own forum, but the fact remains technological innovation happens in California, not Kansas.

Avatar image for Amin_and_Azizah
Amin_and_Azizah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Amin_and_Azizah
Member since 2011 • 143 Posts

@nnoyinghusband said:

As of last month (as spotted by PushSquare and captured by the Internet Archive), the page included Japan Studio in the list, referring to it as “the long-standing talent behind some of PlayStation’s most original titles”.

As the page stands now, however, Japan Studio is no longer present. In its place is Team Asobi, the studio behind the pre-installed PS5 game Astro’s Playroom.

People with knowledge of the matter told VGC that Sony Japan Studio simply hasn’t been profitable enough in recent years.

Japan Studio was Sony Interactive Entertainment‘s oldest first-party studio, with a focus on introducing new styles of gameplay.

The developer was known for games such as Knack, LocoRoco and Ape Escape, as well as its collaborations on the likes of Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Everybody’s Golf. It most recently worked on PS5’s Demon’s Souls with US studio Bluepoint.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/playstation-has-officially-removed-japan-studio-from-its-list-of-studios/