Switch 2 announcement could be around the corner!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45314 Posts

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/nintendo-switch-2-reveal-set-173713838.html

The Nintendo Switch 2 reveal may be right around the corner, per insider sources. Nate the Hate, one of the most credible sources for Nintendo leaks, confidently believes this to be true. Developers may have already experienced the Nintendo Switch 2 reveal last August at Gamescom, but fans are still waiting to catch a glimpse of Nintendo’s future flagship device.

Rumors also suggest that Nintendo’s gaming partners are gearing up in anticipation of the huge reveal. Retail video game stores have started preparing for the release, as per new reports. Insiders also report that developers are preparing for ports and new releases for the upcoming hardware.

What do you think, SW? Will we finally get the Switch 2 announcement next month? Will you be quick to put in a preorder? I always go for the hype and FOMO!

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#2 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2966 Posts

I'm excited but interested to know what the launch titles might be.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23949 Posts

I will do as I always do. Wait until a system has 5 exclusives I want, and then buy it.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7223 Posts

We hear this same rumor every year. These clowns don’t know anything.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1332 Posts

A lot of new Xbox studios customers 👍

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Yup. It's pointless, but they do get attention from some gullible people.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70012 Posts

I can't wait to get more information on the Steam Deck Switch 2.😏

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8444 Posts
@Litchie said:
@mesome713 said:

Yup. It's pointless, but they do get attention from some gullible people.

Regardless of rumors that fall flat, we're bound for a new Nintendo console sooner than later, considering the age of the Switch. These leakers may make for clowns over their annual rumors, but they'll be right eventually much like a broken clock being right twice a day.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1137 Posts

Finally something else to talk about

I think they might wait 'til summer for that.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

I sure as hell hope so. I’m tired of hearing rumours and speculation on this. I want to get some official news about it finally.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46487 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I sure as hell hope so. I’m tired of hearing rumours and speculation on this. I want to get some official news about it finally.

Microsoft is set to announce the Switch 2 next week.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Sounds good to me. 😅

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BenjaminBanklin  Online
Member since 2004 • 11191 Posts

Nintendo don't need no dang Switch 2. According to them, you should be happy with playing games at 360p, massive lack of LoD and 12fps. That's a good working man's console.

Geez, people are so entitled, they better enjoy those potato modes like good fans! Folks will wait two more years for the Switch follow up and they'll like it!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 osan0  Online
Member since 2004 • 17849 Posts

Fingers crossed. I have become reluctant to play games on my Switch now as i'd like to play them at a higher res.

I wont pre order one though but i may get one day 1 if they are readily available and MP4 is a launch title. Assuming MP4 is there, i also have some games on the switch backlog to play and i'm sure there will be one or 2 other big shots at release (new 3d Mario platformer maybe? Odyssey was quite a while ago). So i'll have plenty to play day 1.

Not a disaster though if I can't get it at launch. No shortage of games to play in the meantime.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22819 Posts

Excites to see what Nintendo is cooking, though admittedly Im likely to not purchase the next gendheld with the same excitement I did for Switch 1. I was waiting for that device to be commercially relevant for years and hoped that a true AAA handheld would be a real thing and poof! There it is! Switch! Almost exactly the way Charizard and I drew it up in dm's. Lol.

Now that Valve has gone to the next level it means weathering the storm till Nintendo has a big lineup and establishes the console will be easier.

Very happy switch 2 will exist... I look forward to Nintendo earning my business.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic

@TheEroica said:

Excites to see what Nintendo is cooking, though admittedly Im likely to not purchase the next gendheld with the same excitement I did for Switch 1. I was waiting for that device to be commercially relevant for years and hoped that a true AAA handheld would be a real thing and poof! There it is! Switch! Almost exactly the way Charizard and I drew it up in dm's. Lol.

Now that Valve has gone to the next level it means weathering the storm till Nintendo has a big lineup and establishes the console will be easier.

Very happy switch 2 will exist... I look forward to Nintendo earning my business.

I thought you were completely dedicated to Steam Deck and are moving on from Nintendo?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16576 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I just hope it's not another handheld, that would be disappointing. I hope this next console takes us into a bootleg nintendo VR experience, something a bit cheaper, but thats fine as long as it's done for thr masses. Revisiting the virtual boy from 1995.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts

If they announce a sequel to Bayonetta Origins and/or a new Super Mario Maker, count me in. Unless that happens, I will wait 6-10 months. I have a big backlog and I intend to beat those games before I buy a new Nintendo console.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

I can't wait to see how Nintendo is going to dick over consumers this time.

I wonder if it won't be backwards compatible? Or perhaps it will come with an LCD screen and then get an OLED version a few months later? Maybe it will come with really bad hardware that makes games look like they're from the early 00's?

Who knows!? I can't wait to find out!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

@mrbojangles25: It's the middle one.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 706 Posts

I am so excited. The switch was a very smart, very creative device. I hope they are just as creative.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 osan0  Online

@Willy105 said:

@mrbojangles25: It's the middle one.

Could be all 3 :P.

I think anyone expecting OLED will be disappointed though. The market shows that many people are willing to double dip on upgrades like that so it's a nice little money earner. Like R* with GTA on the PC...nice easy double dip. Hopefully they do have an OLED option on day 1 though.

As for BC.....could go any way with Nintendo.

• It may have none. Their press release may basically state "Owners of existing switch titles will be able to continue play those titles....on the Switch....the system they bought those games for.". Remakes are big money at the end of the day.
  • They may actually do real good and (depending on the features of the console) not only have switch BC, but will also carry forward all purchases from the virtual console on the Wii, Wiiware, Wiiu purchases etc. Those titles could also be made available for purchase again. Optional addons could also be made available for older Nintendo controllers and also for reading older Nintendo Media (Various carts, GC discs etc). It could be a BC beast. Wishful thinking though. But the Wii U was a bit of a BC monster when it came out.
  • They could also have BC*.....where any switch title has to be upgraded for a fee to play on the switch 2. Nintendo have done this before on the Wiiu...though it was optional. People could upgrade their Wii VC games to WII U equivalents at a discount. It was optional as i say, but they could make it a requirement for playing Switch games on the Switch 2. Hopefully not though.

As for the hardware. More than likely it's basically going to be a portable PS4 in terms of horsepower with a few extra tricks up it's sleeve (DLSS, Some ray tracing chops (about 2X the steam deck maybe), more modern GPU compute features). Maybe it will match a PS4 Pro in docked mode. Anyone hoping for anything more will be disappointed I think.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23949 Posts

@TheEroica said:

That's how it is supposed to be.

I loved every Nintendo console I got. Even the Wii U. But they have to earn my purchase nonetheless. I usually wait a year or 2 before I buy Nintendo Hardware.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic

That would be amazing if they could enhance original Switch games

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70012 Posts

The Switch 2 having BC would be a game changer and would set the standard for the industry. Nintendo always pushes the bar. Hopeful MS and Sony follow their lead on this issue.😏

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39384 Posts

You can already buy toasters, and no annoucements are needed

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22819 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:
@TheEroica said:

I thought you were completely dedicated to Steam Deck and are moving on from Nintendo?

When did I say such a thing? I've only ever acknowledged that steam deck is the alpha in the room and it takes a ton of luster away from switch because steam deck does everything better and has a better library of games.... I don't regret my switch purchase though. It deserves it's sales and popularity as stated many times before....

I'm gonna wait to see how they handle backwards compatibility with downloadable games first, as a point to my comments above. If Nintendo doesn't honor my purchases from this Gen and I'm starting fresh again next Gen on switch 2 then yeah, I'll most definitely skip switch 2. If it's like, "hey welcome back! Here's all your stuff! Also we've got Metroid prime 4 and a few other bangers en route", well that makes switch 2 more relevant in the form factor I enjoy gaming on.

The pessimist in me though doesn't think Nintendo will be able to compete with steam deck and it's next iteration whenever that comes... What made switch so appealing FOR ME was the form factor and the promise (and delivery) of AAA games on the go. Steam deck is most certainly the more complete experience with a much better library of games overall. Like I said, they're free to earn my business. Switch 2 on day 1 is more appealing than Xbox and ps5 given the options available so that's good.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

@osan0: we won’t see hardware with as good BC as the Wii U because the Switch uses an entirely different hardware architecture. GCN -> Wii > Wii U was all the same family of PowerPC hardware so it could natively run all those games. Since Switch (and likely the next hardware) runs of Nvidia ARM, everything would need to be emulated and commercial/legal rights renewed.

Best case scenario is the next Nintendo is BC with Switch software, meaning all Switch rereleases/remakes of past Nintendo games (plus the emulated games on NSO) carry over.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 osan0  Online

@Willy105 said:

@osan0: we won’t see hardware with as good BC as the Wii U because the Switch uses an entirely different hardware architecture. GCN -> Wii > Wii U was all the same family of PowerPC hardware so it could natively run all those games. Since Switch (and likely the next hardware) runs of Nvidia ARM, everything would need to be emulated and commercial/legal rights renewed.

Best case scenario is the next Nintendo is BC with Switch software, meaning all Switch rereleases/remakes of past Nintendo games (plus the emulated games on NSO) carry over.

The tech wouldn't really stop them from a technical standpoint. Systems with different hardware architectures emulate other systems all the time.

I had a quick look around and, apparently, the current Switch can do a pretty good impression of a Dreamcast and all older systems (including handhelds). Hard to say how far the Switch 2 could go without a spec but, assuming it's basically a portable PS4, it should be able to emulate a Wii U also. The Steam Deck can do it after all.

There are of course the legal issues around distributing those old games from 3rd parties, as you mention. This would be the biggest barrier. I don't think it would be prohibitive mind as it would make a lot of sense for 3rd parties to give it the green light. I mean the 3DS Store is dead. Surely game publishers on that store would like to see their software available for purchase again.

There shouldn't be any legal issues on the hardware side. I very much doubt that Nintendo made the same mistake MS made with regards to hardware contracts for the OG Xbox.

In saying that, i do agree that it's very unlikely that Nintendo will really have much BC beyond the Switch and any older games that come with Nintendo Online. But I think the reason for that will be more down to a business decision rather than a technical limitation. Nintendo would prefer to remake older games and sell them for more instead of selling old games for 5 bucks.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 851 Posts

Switch is nearly seven years old, therefore a successor needs to be come soon. As long there are good games and backwards compatibility, I am good.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Mario and Zelda 5,423. Yay. lol :P

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

Can Nintendo get the output to 4k on the TV and possibly 1080p in handheld and keep the price competitive. That's my biggest question.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46487 Posts

@lavamelon said:

Switch is nearly seven years old, therefore a successor needs to be come soon. As long there are good games and backwards compatibility, I am good.

No wonder smartphones are able to emulate Switch, time sure flies.

On one hand I'm always excited to see new hardware, on the other hand, I still have plenty to play and enjoy on my Switch. I'm cautiously optimistic.