above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By above_average
Member since 2021 • 1579 Posts

As many Xbox fans have pointed out (an I agree with) Sony has been unusually lazy recently with 1st party content.

Now that doesn't mean there isn't a large amount of Sony games that can be anticipated, but Sony studios specifically have been MIA in recent events or even hinting at upcoming titles.

What's Sucker Punch doing?

What's BluePoint doing?

What's Team Asobi (Japan Studio :'( )doing?

What's Bend Studio (GREEN LIGHT DAYS GONE 2) doing?

& WTF is....NAUGHTY DOG doing?

This is just a theory of mine, but it makes sense:

Sony KNEW what MS was about to be doing FOR A WHILE now and they subsequently just took their foot off the gas with making AAA first party production titles that are infinity more expensive than simply picking up 3rd party exclusive contracts from promising looking games.

It's already been reported that Hellblade 2 and Indiana Jones are ALREADY in development for PS5 now.

Hellblade 2 Rumors Claim a PS5 Release Is Coming

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/hellblade-2-ps5-report-xbox/

If that's the case, just how long were these titles in development? Let's just say a year for conversation sake. If that's true, is it even possible that SONY wouldn't know?

THIS is why CONSOLE EXCLUSIVES and competition is important!

If Sony already KNOWS Microsoft's upcoming would be "system sellers" are already coming to their platform, what is Sony's incentive to make $100+million AAA COUNTER exclusive titles to convince gamers to buy the PS5 instead??? THERE IS NONE!

Despite the peanut gallery here at System Wars, having all games on one platform is the worst thing that can happen to gaming and will lead to LESS key words HIGH QUALITY games to choose from in the industry. All the console exclusives PC gamers claim they wish were everywhere and not tied to console WOULD NOT EVEN EXIST WITHOUT HEAD TO HEAD CONSOLE COMPETITION & A NEED TO SELL CONSOLES!

Sony isn't the same company who resurrected the PS3 today & MS just made it easy for them to sit on their laurels and they seem happy to do it.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8273 Posts

Worried that PS will make less quality games and let MS do that for them instead? Lol?

We went from "xbox has no games" too... "Sony is just going to rely on selling us MS games!" Lolololol

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39119 Posts

As i've bitched about so many times, all their studios were working on GaaS games. Be it with a collab with another studio, or one they're making themselves. All this time that could've been invested into creating quality shit, they wasted it for nothing, because not only are GaaS titles are not video games but mtx stores, they cancelled most of them.

Its a fucking disaster like we've never seen from Sony.

Nothing EVEN SHOWN from Housemarque and Bluepoint is insulting.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 674 Posts

Sony's job is to get good games on to its platform.

If there are good games people will continue to buy the console and Sony will keep getting their cut of the game sales.

There are enough games for me on the PS for this year - I do not give a rats behind if they are 1st Party, 3rd Party or exclusive.

Did I care whether Elden Ring was exclusive or 1st party - no I just enjoyed playing it.

As for competition - FromSoftware want to sell games as do Larian and even the likes of Ubisoft. You need competition for the games rather than the hardware if you want a good gaming environment. The first two have done more for games than both Sony and MS's first party division. Despite that PS would still have competition from PC manufacturers if the PC manufacturers got their fingers out their backside and created an $800 gaming PC and actually bothered advertising it. Sony knows there is a top price that we will pay for a console even if there is no more Xbox generations.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69699 Posts

Sony is fine. They will continue to compete against themselves. Xbox is not needed for them to not be lazy. This is just the facts.😎

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By above_average
@sargentd said:

Worried that PS will make less quality games and let MS do that for them instead? Lol?

We went from "xbox has no games" too... "Sony is just going to rely on selling us MS games!" Lolololol

That's not entirely untrue.

To an extent, MS would be allowing Sony to simply be the hub for all AAA console games.

If that's the case, Sony really wouldn't need to invest money into their own games to "convince" gamers to choose PS5 over Xbox for next generation games.

So, Sony making those expensive AAA blockbuster games going forward would simply be by grace of their GOOD WILL to give gamers an amazing experince instead of a NEED TO COMPETE. Not a good looking prospect IMO.

Maybe that's why Sony has gone on a REMASTER spree seemingly all of a sudden in anticipation of Xbox fans who never played those franchises before because the expect or KNOW there is a xbox exodus about to happen.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1609 Posts

No Bloodborne PS5/PC port has got to be the dumbest streak ever. Literally everyone wants it.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@above_average said:

If Sony already KNOWS Microsoft's upcoming would be "system sellers" are already coming to their platform, what is Sony's incentive to make $100+million AAA COUNTER exclusive titles to convince gamers to buy the PS5 instead??? THERE IS NONE!

I'd disagree that there is no incentive. The incentive is reduced, for sure, but the PlayStation brand is as strong as it is for feeding the base software they enjoy. And some of that software must continue to be developed by internal studios who may be willing to take swings that third parties can't/won't.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1104 Posts

Hopefully Bluepoint is/will be doing a Bloodborne remake...

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By above_average

@jcafcwbb said:

If there are good games people will continue to buy the console and Sony will keep getting their cut of the game sales.

There are enough games for me on the PS for this year - I do not give a rats behind if they are 1st Party, 3rd Party or exclusive.

Did I care whether Elden Ring was exclusive or 1st party - no I just enjoyed playing it.

As for competition - FromSoftware want to sell games as do Larian and even the likes of Ubisoft. You need competition for the games rather than the hardware if you want a good gaming environment. The first two have done more for games than both Sony and MS's first party division. Despite that PS would still have competition from PC manufacturers if the PC manufacturers got their fingers out their backside and created an $800 gaming PC and actually bothered advertising it. Sony knows there is a top price that we will pay for a console even if there is no more Xbox generations.

SMH sigh....it's funny you mention Elden Ring.

Do you even know the history behind the Souls games?

Do you realize that it was Sony who flipped the entire bill for the creation of Demon's Souls which was the platform by which the entirety of the Souls franchise was created?

Yes, if it wasn't for COMPETITION to make a compelling EXCLUSIVE game NONE of the Souls games would be what they are today. Your owe Elden Ring's very existence to Sony's need to make an exclusive. You're welcome!

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#11  Edited By Star67
Member since 2005 • 5173 Posts
@jcafcwbb said:

This right here.

We have Helldivers 2, Rise of Ronin, and Stellar Blade coming out all before May

I'm sure more games will be announced for the fall BUT

It takes 5 to 7 years to work on and complete a major single player AAA game. Most of Sony's major studios just released games (4 years ago) and are still working on their current projects. I totally understand why Sony has had to rely on 3rd/2nd Party studios this year. And Im glad they did, since they could fill in some gaps with their first party release schedule.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44269 Posts

My guess is that they are working on a bunch more remakes and remasters. 😅

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 above_average

@shellcase86 said:
@above_average said:

I'd disagree that there is no incentive. The incentive is reduced, for sure, but the PlayStation brand is as strong as it is for feeding the base software they enjoy. And some of that software must continue to be developed by internal studios who may be willing to take swings that third parties can't/won't.

You sure?

Looks to me like Sony is just scouting Chinese and Korean devs to do the work and they simply toss a check to slap their logo on top of it. Other than that, I see a bunch of remasters.

Your argument isn't matching the actions Sony has been displaying as of late.

shamsher8885

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shamsher8885
Member since 2024 • 54 Posts

SONY needs to stop the Last of Us Re master for the PS5 and concentrate on updating Primal or other less known PS1/2 Tittles

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By above_average
@Star67 said:

This right here.

We have Helldivers 2, Rise of Ronin, and Stellar Blade coming out all before May

I'm sure more games will be announced for the fall BUT

It takes 5 to 7 years to work on and complete a major single player AAA game. Most of Sony's major studios just released games (4 years ago) and are still working on their current projects. I totally understand why Sony has had to rely on 3rd/2nd Party studios this year. And Im glad they did, since they could fill in some gaps with their first party release schedule.

Being optimistic is nice but

1. Helldivers 2 is live service fodder

2. Rise of Ronin looks like an architect PS3 graphic Nioh rehash

3. Stellar Blade looks amazing and I will play day 1, but again was scalped by Sony simply tossing a check to a Korean dev for the cheap to slap their logo on top which was my entire point. Why spend 100+ million on your own games when you can now just scalp for a discount.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jcafcwbb

@above_average: Maybe the future of good games then is Sony helping fund good 3rd Party games and/or helping them get on the PS rather than having to make 1st Party games.

A good game is a good game. Whether it is first party or not doesn't come into it.

Most people buy their PS5/Xbox to play FIFA, Madden or the likes of COD or GTA. Lets not delude ourselves that gaming has grown because of Sony or Microsoft.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 above_average

@jcafcwbb said:

@above_average: Maybe the future of good games then is Sony helping fund good 3rd Party games and/or helping them get on the PS rather than having to make 1st Party games.

A good game is a good game. Whether it is first party or not doesn't come into it.

Most people buy their PS5/Xbox to play FIFA, Madden or the likes of COD or GTA. Lets not delude ourselves that gaming has grown because of Sony or Microsoft.

You don't think gaming grew because of Sony?

You might want to brush up on your game history a bit my friend

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jcafcwbb

@above_average: Nope. Gaming grew because of the games. The Playstation was just the vehicle for it.

I got invites to play Tekken not to play Playstation.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 above_average

@jcafcwbb said:

@above_average: Nope. Gaming grew because of the games. The Playstation was just the vehicle for it.

I got invites to play Tekken not to play Playstation.

That's the same as saying Nintendo didn't grow gaming but the games did...disregarding the fact that Nintendo created those games that helped to grow gaming in the process.

Silly word games but I'm not going to argue the point

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Hopefully of games I haven't had a chance to play yet, then its gonna be...

awwww yeahhh, day fucking one. :D

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1286 Posts

cows being critical of sony..HAH

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel3371  Online

@Heil68: Same here. I never got around to getting a PS4 last gen. Seems to be paying off now. 😅

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 512 Posts

I think Sony's made a ton of excellent games in the past, the problem is the recipe for their AAA games isn't sustainable, and now I feel like their success has made them lean on sequels and remasters.

Their AAA games are extremely expensive, which is why they're currently remastering so many games, selling more and more exclusives on PC, focusing on live service games, and 3rd party contracts for rights to help recoup costs. I would not expect an onslaught of new IPs and AAA games from them moving forward, more like Nintendo where you get one big already established game a year with some smaller AA games released every quarter.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Dunno. But Sony definitely knew that, given time, MS would bow to them.

Then it happened.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69699 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

"We believe in generations of remakes"

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Archangel3371  Online

@Pedro: No lies detected there. 😅

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8485 Posts

All I wanted from Sony is to release the TLOU2 MP. It would have served two purposes: a continuous stream of memes and my boy wenzen had to leave SW and come back with an alt. Sony are such cowards, at least MS had the courage to release Infinite.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20124 Posts

I doubt these devs are sitting around doing nothing. But I also believe they’ve pivoted away from live service games a bit and that explains the radio silence.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3077 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

@Pedro: No lies detected there. 😅

Jesus Christ, you guys are cute.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2434 Posts
@pc_rocks said:

All I wanted from Sony is to release the TLOU2 MP. It would have served two purposes: a continuous stream of memes and my boy wenzen had to leave SW and come back with an alt. Sony are such cowards, at least MS had the courage to release Infinite.

Releasing Uncharted 4 and TLL on PC without the MP was so bone-headed. Not like I'm short of active third-person MP games on PC. /sarcasm

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#31 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5173 Posts

@above_average: I think you missed my point.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34660 Posts

Yeah, Sony being lazy is Microsoft's fault.

And yeah totally, we will have no more quality games without console competition. Competing with games instead of hardware? There is no such thing.

@above_average said:

Helldivers 2 is live service fodder

Scuse me?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9575 Posts

@Archangel3371: Right? People act as though MS is making a huge blunder, but the way they see it is leaving money on the table, and at least they aren't just releasing a couple/few remasters each year... Neither are blowing things out of the water with new games, but at this point I don't think it matters.

It seems the industry is moving back to securing 2rd party games and AA works. AAA exclusives have gotten too risky.. 100s of millions to produce and by far the riskiest endeavors. I don't really care where the games are coming from as long as they do indeed release.

SONY and MS games on one platform? Sign me up, leaves me more to spend on games and both still prosper. Win/win in my book.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9575 Posts

Rise of the AA devs are well on their way to taking over again. Smaller risk, larger reward, more innovation, better gameplay, less political correctness, more developer leeway, less publisher/stock holder interference, and getting back to just worrying about games being fun again.

I can't remember who the dev team was, but I remember reading years back somewhere that one of the bigger teams like Capcom (someone like that) said that the money was in the much cheaper to produce AA games and that AAA games are little more than posturing within the industry.

The console/PC debacle is coming to a close and it's only a matter of time until the two sides merge... physical media is already 4 and a half feet deep to their goal of 6.

Unfortunately this means that we won't actually own our games anymore, but will be a huge step forward in marrying most games into being available for single ecosystem.

As fun as it's been watching people meltdown over the years here, I think realists know the console wars are coming to an end.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KathaarianCode  Online
Member since 2022 • 3430 Posts

See guys, PS has no games... because of Xbox.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26104 Posts

Hopefully with Microsoft porting their games to PS5 as well, the poor cows wont be starving anymore.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15940 Posts

I will always criticize Sony for ignoring Bloodborne.

But honestly their output not that bad if you consider 3rd party exclusivity as strategy. I personally really dont give a shit about most of Sony 1st party studios other than Naughty Dogs as I dont really form attachments to games those studios make. I am way more hyped when I see known brand like FF, Persona or studios like From Soft, Team Ninja or KojiPro doing PS exclusive stuff.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@above_average said:
@shellcase86 said:
@above_average said:

You sure?

Looks to me like Sony is just scouting Chinese and Korean devs to do the work and they simply toss a check to slap their logo on top of it. Other than that, I see a bunch of remasters.

Your argument isn't matching the actions Sony has been displaying as of late.

I think there may be a misunderstanding. I'm saying Sony must continue to pump out first party content. I'm not saying they're doing it well currently, this is probably the worst it's ever been, just stating that they need to not let their internally developed software continue to lack.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1104 Posts
@sakaixx said:

I will always criticize Sony for ignoring Bloodborne.

🤜🤛

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I wouldn’t say they are being lazy, but playing chess by keeping their games always facing down. Which is smart , because no point to show off your cards. Especially when their competition keeps coming in last place .the problem with MS is that they were playing checkers , always rushing to show off and have nothing to show for in the long run of things I’m pretty sure we will see something from all the game dev soon, but why should they rush to show /shrug

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 912 Posts

It's too bad they want to bury most of their history. Releasing older games or remasters of stuff from PS3 or older would atleast be something more compelling than Until Dawn

SatoriHanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SatoriHanzo
Member since 2023 • 20 Posts

We know games are coming. One look at Insomniacs leaked list of upcoming games confirms that. And that's just one studio. As for worrying about Sony putting out less because MS going 3rd party, I don't think that's true either. Sony wouldn't have purchased all the studios they have recently to not put out games. Besides, game devs want to make games. Less competition isn't gonna make them suddenly stop making what they're passionate about.

It's obvious the live service push is what slowed things down. Now that many of those have been cancelled, of course it's gonna be a while til we see what's next from their first party studios. Sucks for us all cuz the live service push was dumb to begin with