Ubisoft: Get used to not OWNING your games...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41560 Posts

GamesIndustry.biz

The big talking point in question, as Christopher Dring simplifies in his tweet:

And... no, eff that, Ubisoft. I buy it, I own it. Sick of companies allowing this to happen and consumers letting them.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

Ok Ubisoft, I'll get used to not owning your games. Not a big deal.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22772 Posts

If you're buying anything digital, you only "own" it on PC services like steam.... And even then it can be removed. The real question here is what type of gamer are you and how do you consume the hobby? For some there is little meaning between renting and buying because they want the game experience and to move on.... I reckon things like this only perturb those who look backwards at their content and have the time to replay old content in the face of new experiences. I do not have that kind of time and so new experiences is what I'm after in almost every case when I game. Rent? Buy? What's the difference when you're one and done....?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

lol :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@SecretPolice said:

Me when Ubisoft/Youtube/Netflix ups their subscription cost and claims it will lead to higher quality:

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1107 Posts

They seem to confirm people own their games. Good to know a big publisher sees it that way.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

I am comfortable enough in the "too big to fail" status of companies like Steam, Ubisoft, EA, and even GoG to trust that they aren't going anywhere. Additionally, even games that have been removed from the market on Steam are still available in my library if I have already purchased them, something that can't be said for console users and their respective market places.

Until a company clearly states "we are making all purchases timed ownership" or "you can't buy, only rent", this whole debate is nothing but a whole bunch of people claiming the sky is falling. You're like the people that read an article about how an asteroid or comet is flying by Earth and think there is a risk of us getting hit, but the context of the article is that "close" means a few hundred million kilometers away. In other words, zero chance of issues.

@TheEroica said:

If you're buying anything digital, you only "own" it on PC services like steam.... And even then it can be removed. The real question here is what type of gamer are you and how do you consume the hobby? For some there is little meaning between renting and buying because they want the game experience and to move on.... I reckon things like this only perturb those who look backwards at their content and have the time to replay old content in the face of new experiences. I do not have that kind of time and so new experiences is what I'm after in almost every case when I game. Rent? Buy? What's the difference when you're one and done....?

Pretty much this.

I don't really see the problem.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

Me when Ubisoft/Youtube/Netflix ups their subscription cost and claims it will lead to higher quality:

Ubisoft has been on a roll lately, to their credit. They had quite a drought for a while, though, so I get the hate. But this last half of 2023, the sub has more than paid for itself.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7255 Posts

I've already gone full digital this gen it was just the right time for me physical media just doesn't interest me anymore. They should give gamers the choice though it shouldn't be thrown at people.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10480 Posts

oh god if ubi start moving to a rental model, that's even more cut and paste filler content being added to their games.

plus inevitable monthly "expansions" to keep you subscribing.

just when you thought their games couldn't get away with any more padding

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

I don't mind renting these days, I'm confident I'll never go back and play a game again. Too much in backlog with great games coming out on a consistent basis.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8488 Posts

Wait, a Nintendo fan talking about owning games?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8870 Posts

@nintendoboy16: You don't own it now - you own a license.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:

Ubisoft has been on a roll lately, to their credit. They had quite a drought for a while, though, so I get the hate. But this last half of 2023, the sub has more than paid for itself.

I happen to have just finished Far Cry 6, right in time for Prince of Persia

Over the past couple of months we got 3 good to great games by Ubisoft: Mirage, Avatar and now Prince of Persia;

Avatar was my personal favourite and POP has scored a ton of 9s across the web.

I can't fault the coders and developers, they are doing a great job.

But I don't like what Ubisoft is doing. Yesterday I started my PC for another coop session in Far Cry 6 and Ubisoft had 'upgraded' my Uplay launcher to the ubisoft connect BETA launcher without me asking.

It's more cumbersome, slower, it shoves ads in my face and it defaults to the store and not my library. I gave them as feedback:

It is supposed to be a game launcher, it's supposed to launch my games;

Cuz that's the thing really, you have no choice. Ubisoft is gonna force you to use stuff (like their store) without you choosing to do so. Ubisoft wants to display it's Uplay + subscription front and center, you have no choice in the matter.

I make a big deal out of this now because I don't want to end up in a Dystopian future where I have to beg to play my own games (eventhough again, the games are of great quality).

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

Dear Ubisoft, I really like your games and all but, this is what I'll say here. A pirate should feel comfortable with all the booty they get! If they owned it, they wouldn't be a pirate. And a pirate is still a gamer, so...

And as always #UbisoftNeverDisappoints

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

Let's hike the base game price, make content exclusive to subscribers, and give subscribers early access.

Haha gamers. You mowons. Ubiswoft da best

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39212 Posts

Its my job to hate on Ubisoft, so please calm down with the negativity.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 513 Posts

I can't really draw a line in the sand for this since Steam has been my go to for years. Ironically, the only time I buy physical anymore is Nintendo special edition items, because I'm going to keep them sealed and resell it for a profit down the road.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6911 Posts

This is the mindset of every company that wants to focus on monthly subscription services. Don't get mad at Ubisoft for saying it out loud. Microsoft feels the same way.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6266 Posts

@dabear said:

Oh, you're one of those🤦‍♂️

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

People don't own physical media either. A publisher can patch a game and make it unplayable at any point. It's literally in the license people agree to when the begin a game. Most disks don't even have the full game on it and a day 1 download is needed. It isn't 1998 anymore. The constant internet connection has ruined game ownership.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69771 Posts

Owning, renting.🤷🏽‍♂️

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

@last_lap said:
@dabear said:

Oh, you're one of those🤦‍♂️

I mean, he's not wrong.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

@nintendoboy16: they are right, owning is dumb...we are all renting at the end of the day, since nobody lives forever. Especially these days with the shift to digital.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69771 Posts

Just subbed to Ubisoft+😎

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nintendoboy16

@silentchief said:

This is the mindset of every company that wants to focus on monthly subscription services. Don't get mad at Ubisoft for saying it out loud. Microsoft feels the same way.

Sucks when MS does it too.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

All you fools paying for games/movies/music that are only useable with a specific digital platform.

Back when PC games were on physical media (which pretty much doesn't exist anymore) there was a time when you could do what you want with the game. Install it on whatever computer you want, play it when you want, how you want and so on. Eventually Steam came along. You could download a game or even physical copies of some games started requiring a Steam activation, even though the game was on the CD/DVD, you still needed to link the game to Steam to activate it.

When Steam started to take off and digital only was becoming more of the norm, the physical games became fewer and fewer and by this time any physical games (for example: Assassin Creed games to Uplay, Mass Effect games to EA and so on) required a digital DRM link to a digital platform and you were at the mercy of needing these digital platforms active in order to play a game you paid for.

Soon movies/shows and music were on the same path. Rarely do you see a new album release on CD and many movies/shows are no longer transitioning to physical media after they've left the theater or ran their run on TV. Many of these shows/movies are being produced and only available on some streaming platform or they're ran on TV or the theater and instead of going to physical they drop into a streaming platform that the developer/distributor owns. 5 years ago you could go into any local store such as Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy and so on and you'd walk down several aisles of physical media for movies/shows/music (on CD) and now when you go into these stores you see a small end cap with DVDs or in the case of Best Buy, they no longer carry DVDs/Blu-Ray media.

People today are so okay with giving up their control for the idea of convenience of all these streaming channels or digital gaming platforms and then they have the audacity to turn around and bitch when they're told they will no longer own games. Ha, you fuckingretards, you brought this upon yourself. You already surrendered your control years ago. We won't get it back so shut the fuckup and take it up the ass.

I'm personally on a mission to get as much physical media as I can for older PC games (already sitting on 120+ older games I can play when I want) and movies (over 1300 movies and 40 complete TV show series owned on media which I've got all on my plex server) that I can watch on Plex or if I really needed to I can pull out one of my multiple DVD/Blu-ray players and connect them to my TVs to watch media that way. Any new PC games I get I strictly purchase off of GoG because I can download the game files to my side and install the game when I want, where I want and I don't need any kind of digital platform to run the games.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3078 Posts

Do any of these companies allow you to rent single games, or do you need to have a subscription? I don't mind the idea of renting. Hell, I used to do it all the time as a kid. But I have no interest in subscriptions, so that might actually get some money from me. Well, probably not for Ubisoft. The last game of theirs I played was Child of Light. Whenever that was.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#29 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9732 Posts

Ubisoft are a bunch of assholes for saying this. Ubisoft can go kick rocks. Ubisoft needs to shut the hell up. I like owning my games damn it. Ubisoft is a piece of crap.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nintendoboy16

@neatfeatguy: This is a point Christopher Nolan was trying to make with movies when he criticized streaming platforms on how they handle them, especially HIS projects.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34669 Posts

I'm already used to not owning Ubisoft's games. Haven't bought or played a game from them in 11 years.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15946 Posts

I don't understand why this is an issue when people sub Gamepass/PSExtra or other subscription services. Even if ur buying on PS/Xbox/Nintendo/PC unless ur buying physical technically your purchases is just license that these store fronts could revoke. Heck even if you purchasing physical you are pretty doomed when that provider decides they don't want to support legacy software

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tdkmillsy  Online
Member since 2003 • 5983 Posts

Over the last 10 years

More people rent houses

More people lease cars

More people watch subscription series/films

More people rent games

I just got my Samsung fold 5 on a subscription thingy so I get a new one in 2 years.

Its the way of the world.