What gaming moments you enjoy breaking the 4th wall?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

And by that, I mean anything from the characters talking directly to the gamer to requiring unusual actions to be taken outside the game itself which can be a number of anything. Anyway I like:

• Witcher 3 Expansion Blood & Wine - Geralt winks at the screen to the player out of nowhere.
  • Icey - The narrator acknowledges the existing player telling them what to do next
  • The Simpsons Hit & Run - is pretty much a meta/4th wall breaking in a similar way but knows how to break the 4th wall.
  • Nier: Automata - at the end of the game, you can shoot at the game credits to open a special message for the player.
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - 3 alarms and the mission is over? Of course not, this is not a video game.
  • Hellblade - mainly this involves using the headphones but Sensua will look at the screen directly at the player as if she's listening to you.
  • High on Life - massive 4th wall breakers

Those are the ones that come to mind, but I'll say all the MGS games have broken the 4th wall, MGS4 however is the one I like when it comes to 4th wall breaker. All the Neptunia games are 4th wall breakers so it's hard to narrow down as to what's the best.

So system warriors, what games have some amazing 4th wall breaks that you find interesting and amusing?

Boiled-Hotdug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Boiled-Hotdug
Member since 2022 • 309 Posts

The Stanley Parable

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39331 Posts

If you disagree, you're a clueless gamer and don't deserve a drop of my attention.

Loading Video...
SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8316 Posts
Loading Video...

I dont know if this counts, but came back to dead cells (I skipped all the dlc so went back to check it out) and the everyone is here dlc is dope. You read a plaque at the spawn and it's a brief description of a bunch of other characters from blasphemous, guacamole, hollow knight, hyper light drifter, katana zero, skull, I came across the plaque and had no idea this was part of the dlc. When I read it I was like.. "why's it talking about these other game characters, then I found hollow knight nail weapon and it clicked

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8316 Posts

@davillain: and yeah high on life is like a nonstop 4th wall

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7326 Posts

There are a few good moments in Metal Gear Solid, but I will never forget when the DARPA Chief tells you Meryl's radio frequency is on the back of the CD case. Went straight over my head. I wandered around all over trying to find this CD case. Complained about this to a friend, who then told me it actually meant the case the game comes in. I nearly smacked my head and fell over like an anime character.

By the way, does anyone know how that part is handled in digital releases of the game? Do they just figure people will look it up online?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59121 Posts

In old games they use to leave messages in the code. Typically wishing death on pirates.

This is a good channel and a good watch barely gets any views. Guess to busy watching quality content like Logan Paul checking out suicides for fun or The Quartering spamming 4 10 minute videos a day.

Loading Video...
Avatar image for clockworkbanana
ClockWorkBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ClockWorkBanana
Member since 2022 • 263 Posts

Blick Winkel

Loading Video...

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45306 Posts

MGS games for sure, especially during the dialogue when you know it’s tongue in cheek.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#10 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Dragon Ball FighterZ - The end of the Super Warrior arc with Whis.

Conker's Bad Fur Day - When Conker speaks about context sensitive moments, and to the game devs.

Duke Nukem 3D - "What are you waiting for? Christmas?"

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44344 Posts

The fight with Psyco Mantis in Metal Gear Solid immediately springs to mind. Very cool seeing what other Konami games that I had played by reading my memory card file saves.