When Star Citizen SP releases alpha footage its not ok but when others do it and is set to release next year its fine?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

Developers do it all the time showing pre-alpha/alpha footage a year before release and yall get hyped on 5 to 10 minute demo from EA and Ubisoft. Funny Beyond Good and Evil showed what they were doing and everyone was amazed with it. People were doing the same exact thing with NMS and they were showing far less gameplay before release even with Mass Effect Andromeda that was the same case. BTW Star Citizen 3.0 already blows NMS out of the water and that is one of the few final major updates before it goes beta. There are plenty of time to polish SQ42 and add final features because they had to hold it off because of the missing features but they still showed the game. Building planets and putting content into them surrounding by vast space isn't always easy.

If this wasn't called Star Citizen you know you would be hyped to play the game

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70035 Posts

@deathlordcrime said:

Developers do it all the time showing pre-alpha/alpha footage a year before release and yall get hyped on 5 to 10 minute demo from EA and Ubisoft. Funny Beyond Good and Evil showed what they were doing and everyone was amazed with it. People did the same exact thing with NMS and they were showing far less gameplay before release even with Mass Effect Andromeda that was the same case. There are plenty of time to polish SQ42 and add final features. Building planets and putting content into them surrounding by vast space isn't easy.

I was not amazed by any of the games you listed when they showed its "Alpha" footage especially Beyond Good and Evil.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DeathLordCrime

@Pedro said:
@deathlordcrime said:

Developers do it all the time showing pre-alpha/alpha footage a year before release and yall get hyped on 5 to 10 minute demo from EA and Ubisoft. Funny Beyond Good and Evil showed what they were doing and everyone was amazed with it. People did the same exact thing with NMS and they were showing far less gameplay before release even with Mass Effect Andromeda that was the same case. There are plenty of time to polish SQ42 and add final features. Building planets and putting content into them surrounding by vast space isn't easy.

I was not amazed by any of the games you listed when they showed its "Alpha" footage especially Beyond Good and Evil.

A lot people were and that was just doing things like exploring and messing around in the game.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

For some reason there are people who just want to see the most ambitious game ever and the most successful crowd funded anything ever fail. It would be a completely different matter it was a console manufacturer or publisher who were behind it. I really don't get how a conspiracy theory created by a failed and extremely narcissistic developer could have gained so much traction. I guess some people just want to watch the world burn rather than get behind something that could improve the entire gaming industry with it's boundary pushing advancements, I'm not even talking about the graphics.

Being a PC exclusive so far ahead of anything else that the crappy console hardware (only Xbox One X has a GPU that could maybe handle Squadron 42 but then you have that really poor CPU) in consoles couldn't hope to run doesn't help it's popularity among the mainstream gaming crowd either.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

SQ42 demo was just them walking around and roaming while interacting with people on planets. NMS did exact that and that was probably its selling point.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GarGx1

@TheFadeForever said:

SQ42 demo was just them walking around and roaming while interacting with people on planets. NMS did exact that.

I guess you missed the space combat and FPS sections then. Did you even watch it?

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheFadeForever

@GarGx1 said:
@TheFadeForever said:

SQ42 demo was just them walking around and roaming while interacting with people on planets. NMS did exact that.

I guess you missed the space combat and FPS sections then. Did you even watch it?

It was at the very end but it wasn't at all that impressive to be honest specially the FPS where it felt rather dull. Space combat was what 10 minutes at best? More than half of it was them just interacting with things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Yep. People are also excited for Death Stranding despite only seeing cinematic trailers. While whenever Star-Citizen shows up many people want it to fail.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Yes because we know the other games shown will actually get released...

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

There are a lot of people on these forums just begging for Star Citizen to fail. These people always have some far-reaching or hypocritical excuse to shit on whatever SC/S42 news or footage CIG releases.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

The problem is that they have never shown a section of gameplay that looks fun to play. The artstyle is also real dull and unispired. Showing a few minutes of exctiting gameplay is a great way to build hype. Since they haven't you just gonna have to assume there's no real gameplay hook. And therefor it's hard to get excited.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@TheFadeForever said:
@GarGx1 said:
@TheFadeForever said:

It was at the very end but it wasn't at all that impressive to be honest specially the FPS where it felt rather dull. Space combat was what 10 minutes at best? More than half of it was them just interacting with things.

Because that is how far in development it is? It was a mission walkthrough with all the main moving parts in there, that in itself is a major milestone.

@Sushiglutton said:

The problem is that they have never shown a section of gameplay that looks fun to play. The artstyle is also real dull and unispired. Showing a few minutes of exctiting gameplay is a great way to build hype. Since they haven't you just gonna have to assume there's no real gameplay hook. And therefor it's hard to get excited.

It's a space sim.... and a slow patrol mission, its not meant to keep ADHD in check every 2 seconds. They built up hype by demonstrating a pretty solid proof of concept of all the features working together (even with bits missing) to finish a mission. This is not Battlefield/Star Wars/Call of Duty .. I'm sure there would be epic moments, but a good portion of it will be... "on the job" design.

The Art Style is realism... and I can't really agree because the ship designs and even player designs are far better than games in the similar themed areas (E.G Mass Effect).

If you don't like Sims then fair enough, I feel the same way about most of Sony's first party offerings.. ADHD event after event for 10 hours then your left with nothing to look forward to... I believe there is a good middle way somewhere.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11805 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

For some reason there are people who just want to see the most ambitious game ever and the most successful crowd funded anything ever fail. It would be a completely different matter it was a console manufacturer or publisher who were behind it. I really don't get how a conspiracy theory created by a failed and extremely narcissistic developer could have gained so much traction. I guess some people just want to watch the world burn rather than get behind something that could improve the entire gaming industry with it's boundary pushing advancements, I'm not even talking about the graphics.

Being a PC exclusive so far ahead of anything else that the crappy console hardware (only Xbox One X has a GPU that could maybe handle Squadron 42 but then you have that really poor CPU) in consoles couldn't hope to run doesn't help it's popularity among the mainstream gaming crowd either.

The Xbox One X doesn't even have enough RAM to meet the minimum requirements for Star Citizen

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NoodleFighter

This guy perfectly shuts down 95% of Star Citizen haters

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

The problem is that they have never shown a section of gameplay that looks fun to play. The artstyle is also real dull and uninspired. Showing a few minutes of exciting gameplay is a great way to build hype. Since they haven't you just gonna have to assume there's no real gameplay hook. And therefor it's hard to get excited.

I agree with you. I have watched the hour long single player footage and nothing excited me.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 scatteh316

@NoodleFighter said:

This guy perfectly shuts down 95% of Star Citizen haters

Loading Video...

Of course this guy is going to defend it, he prolly gave them all his money to make the game and has even re-mortgaged his house to give them even more money ?

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#17 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@deathlordcrime: Star Citizen is not being developed traditionally like those other examples you gave. When you use your own money to take forever and delay and screw around, that's fine. If you take money to develop the game, you put yourself in a class where this sort of protection can't be applied.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By scatteh316

And people bash PS4 and Sony for having 'walking simulators'

PC is getting the biggest and most boring one ever made ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

Wasn't this game released back in 2035, when we actually flew to Mars? Anyways I am of to buy that dang book with the lotto numbers in them. Doc keeps working me out over it. Marty out.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@deathlordcrime: None of the other games you mentioned continuously released "pre-alpha" footage for 5 years; maybe that has something to do with it. Also, 4 years past the initial release window can also kill hype; see the Last Guardian. Another difference is this one has taken people's money already, some for thousands.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DeathLordCrime

@asylumni said:

@deathlordcrime: None of the other games you mentioned continuously released "pre-alpha" footage for 5 years; maybe that has something to do with it. Also, 4 years past the initial release window can also kill hype; see the Last Guardian. Another difference is this one has taken people's money already, some for thousands.

SQ42 had footage shown at the end of 2017. They never showed much of it since it was announced.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DeathLordCrime

@scatteh316 said:

And people bash PS4 and Sony for having 'walking simulators'

PC is getting the biggest and most boring one ever made ?

Didn't stop ppl from hyping them or muh game score 8 and 9 after reviews

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@deathlordcrime said:
@asylumni said:

SQ42 had footage shown at the end of 2017. They never showed much of it since it was announced.

But it was a part of Start Citizen, which has been shown off since 2012 and had an initial release window of 2014.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheFadeForever

@asylumni said:
@deathlordcrime said:
@asylumni said:

But it was a part of Start Citizen, which has been shown off since 2012 and had an initial release window of 2014.

One is a single player while the other is a MMO. Scope changed since so they changed the date but they never showed any gameplay footage for it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pedro  Online

@GarGx1 said:

Loading Video...

750 TI with 8GB of system RAM. Consoles would be fine running this game.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GarGx1

@TheFadeForever said:
@asylumni said:
@deathlordcrime said:
@asylumni said:

One is a single player while the other is a MMO. Scope changed since so they changed the date but they never showed any gameplay footage for it.

The difference between Squadron 42 and Star Citizen is them keeping the "story" separate from the online universe. It allows them to be more focused on each rather putting the single player element through the online game (which would be very restrictive on people who do not want to be bothered by a military carrier while they are trying to build their own empire in an MMO). Assuming you've played other MMO's then you'll know that they all have arcing story lines for the players most of which can be played and completed solo.

The absolute best example of this is Star Wars The Old Republic, where every single character class has their own story, with cut scenes and all the rest of single player RPG trimmings. You can actually play all of SWtoR on your own if you choose to do so. C.I.G. went the opposite root, separating the single player side from the online one. That's not to say there won't be linked story missions but it's not the primary focus of the online side. The primary focus is building your empire (I don';t mean controlling worlds and fleets of ships, although there are some pretty big Organisations already) be that through trade, bounty hunting, piracy, exploration, salvaging, mining etc.

They are in all essence the same game. It's the reason why it appears to on lookers that Squadron 42 game play is being hidden, when in actual fact it has been in plain view the whole time time. What is being hidden from everyone outside of C.I.G. is the Squadron 42 story and that, quite frankly, they can keep hidden until the day it launches.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GarGx1

@Pedro: Uhuh, the game is still in alpha and limited, wait until there are fleet battles with cap ships, fighters, bombers and support craft fighting each other all in the same area. That system will crumble a die.

Edit: What's your take on the i5 6600, consoles don't exactly have one of those in the tin, do they?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro  Online

@GarGx1 said:

@Pedro: Uhuh, the game is still in alpha and limited, wait until there are fleet battles with cap ships, fighters, bombers and support craft fighting each other all in the same area. That system will crumble a die.

Edit: What's your take on the i5 6600, consoles don't exactly have one of those in the tin, do they?

The claim that the game CANNOT run on consoles is unfounded. That's my take.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

@Pedro: what console has 8GB of ram available for just the cpu to use?

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By scatteh316

@appariti0n said:

They got Doom 3 running on OG Xbox...... that is all.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NoodleFighter

@scatteh316 said:
@appariti0n said:

You do know that the Xbox version of Doom is incredibly dumbed down right? The Xbox version had much smaller and more linear levels to the point a lot of content from the PC version was removed from the Xbox version.

@Pedro said:
@GarGx1 said:

The claim that the game CANNOT run on consoles is unfounded. That's my take.

Are you serious man, first of all the the video you linked the PC running it did not have a GTX 750 ti, it was a GTX 1050ti. Also all the way back in 2014 they stated Star Citizen couldn't run on consoles and that Star Citizen wasn't nearly as advance as the one we're getting now. Squadron 42 which is the just the single player campaign is now asking for 16GB Ram and a SSD, at this point possible even next gen console won't be able to run the game.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Star Citizen gets the justified hate because $176 Million+ of gamers money are used to make it.

Gamers money is not on the line for random EA and Ubisoft games.

That is the reason the other companies don’t get as much hate.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By scatteh316

@NoodleFighter said:
@scatteh316 said:
@appariti0n said:

You do know that the Xbox version of Doom is incredibly dumbed down right? The Xbox version had much smaller and more linear levels to the point a lot of content from the PC version was removed from the Xbox version.

Exactly my point!!!! But they still pulled it off....

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

It's the chinese democracy of the gaming world.

jokoloko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jokoloko
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

I watched 40 minutes and there is nothing exciting about me

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NoodleFighter

@scatteh316 said:
@NoodleFighter said:
@scatteh316 said:
@appariti0n said:

The amount of dumbing down they'd have to do to get Star Citizen to run on consoles, they might as well make it a completely different game. It'd be like Battlefield 32 players vs 64 players but instead its 32 players vs 300 players.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

It all looks so underwhelming. I think the issue with this game is that the hype has been going for so long, that expectations will be impossible to meet. I also feel that the value for the money people have invested will simply not really be there. I want the game to succeed, but I will keep my expectations realistic. It is just another game.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By scatteh316

@NoodleFighter said:
@scatteh316 said:
@NoodleFighter said:
@scatteh316 said:

The amount of dumbing down they'd have to do to get Star Citizen to run on consoles, they might as well make it a completely different game. It'd be like Battlefield 32 players vs 64 players but instead its 32 players vs 300 players.

So it won't be any different then? Poor analogy on your half....

Only thing that'll really suffer will be textures, lighting and shadows but it'll still look and play like SC.

Doom 3 on OG Xbox... it still plays like DOOM 3 and you know by looking at it that it's DOOM 3.

And lets be honest, SC is about a barren as a game can get so it won't be that hard to run on console.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's just some fanboys being afraid that if SC releases, it'll show how far behind the consoles really are.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheFadeForever

@scatteh316 said:
@NoodleFighter said:
@scatteh316 said:
@NoodleFighter said:

So it won't be any different then? Poor analogy on your half....

Only thing that'll really suffer will be textures, lighting and shadows but it'll still look and play like SC.

Doom 3 on OG Xbox... it still plays like DOOM 3 and you know by looking at it that it's DOOM 3.

And lets be honest, SC is about a barren as a game can get so it won't be that hard to run on console.

Barren? I'm sure you missed the video where they showed a planet with massive cities like from star wars.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GarGx1

@stuff238 said:

Star Citizen gets the justified hate because $176 Million+ of gamers money are used to make it.

Gamers money is not on the line for random EA and Ubisoft games.

That is the reason the other companies don’t get as much hate.

Why would someone hate something that other people have voluntarily put money into? What difference does it make to them and what on this earth makes that a justification?

What it is, is sour grapes and a completely unfounded sense of jealousy because it's not being released on a platform owed by a multi-billion dollar company. Quite frankly the hate that Star Citizen (a game that will push the boundaries of our much loved hobby far beyond anything else being made today) gets is just sad, especially as it comes from people who claim to be "gamers" and others who for some bizarre reason are a part of the gaming industry.

Any self respecting gamer, whether they are a backer or not, should be wanting this game to succeed because the tech they are developing will be adopted and copied for years to come. Instead we get a bunch morons who shout and whine about how they "hope" the game fails, so as they can what? Laugh at backers and say we told you so! F*cking idiots don't know a good thing when they see it.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I have to admit that video tech demo is pretty impressive, be even more impressive if you can walk around that city and go inside buildings.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17679 Posts

Ummm....are you completely unfamiliar with this game’s controversial development? There’s a good reason for such double standard.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GarGx1

@MirkoS77 said:

Ummm....are you completely unfamiliar with this game’s controversial development? There’s a good reason for such double standard.

The only controversy I've seen has come from the "we hate Star Citizen" camp, they've tried all kinds of crap from sexism, racism and even embezzlement accusations, none of it has stuck. I quite imagine that Chris Roberts is a royal pain in the arse to work for, perfectionists are, but that's not controversial or reason to hate.

Then we have the recent "controversy" in the Crytech law suit. It's amazing how Crytech's claims were spread all over the internet, especially the click bait sites but what they haven't done is largely show C.I.G's response which completely destroys any and all claims Crytech has made and have requested that the claim be dismissed. It's obvious that Crytech is a desperate failing company looking to get any and all money they can in the door.

This video is from a copyright attorney who goes through the details of C.I.G's request for dismissal, on the face of it Crytech have nothing. (it's long and full of legal jargon but detailed) The very start is probably enough for most people.

Loading Video...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pedro  Online

The interesting thing about the pro Star Citizen folks is that they respond as if the developers can do no wrong. Just look at the nature of the response before me. There is a lack of objectivity and the same parroting that is found on the other side.

Let's not forget it missed two release dates that were two years apart. Now there are no release dates and it's almost 7 years later with more than 3 times the funding of Horizon Zero Dawn.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

People think it takes a couple months to make a game.

Bethesda has been talking about 2 major projects for over 2 years now ... and just because they started to mention these projects, doesnt mean they werent being worked on for years prior. The only difference is, they havent released any footage or game titles or themes of any sort.

Star Citizen has been open and fairly transparent to their backers since day 1... and they are getting creamed for it.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GarGx1

@Pedro said:

The interesting thing about the pro Star Citizen folks is that they respond as if the developers can do no wrong. Just look at the nature of the response before me. There is a lack of objectivity and the same parroting that is found on the other side.

Let's not forget it missed two release dates that were two years apart. Now there are no release dates and it's almost 7 years later with more than 3 times the funding of Horizon Zero Dawn.

Come up with a new argument and you'll get a new counter argument, why change the response when the accusation doesn't change?

Let's not forget it has been 5 years 3 months since the crowd funding ended and work properly commenced on the game 5 years ago next month with about 20 employees, when the first studio opened in Austin. Also Star Citizen is how many times larger than Horizon Zero Dawn, has a full cinematic single player game and a persistent universe.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pedro  Online

@GarGx1 said:
@Pedro said:

Come up with a new argument and you'll get a new counter argument, why change the response when the accusation doesn't change?

Let's not forget it has been 5 years 3 months since the crowd funding ended and work properly commenced on the game 5 years ago next month with about 20 employees, when the first studio opened in Austin. Also Star Citizen is how many times larger than Horizon Zero Dawn, has a full cinematic single player game and a persistent universe.

Accusation? The game has been in development since 2011. It release date was in 2014 then it changed to 2016. Its now 2018. 7 years has passed and an end is not in sight. And you are surprised by the flak the game is getting for being vaporware? It has the budget that is equal to Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, No Man's Sky and The Witcher 3 combined and its still not finished after missing two deadlines which AGAIN were two years apart and AGAIN still no release date. The flak is well deserved and not as remotely as unfounded as you and your fellow apologist would try to make it out to be. You can argue that its ambitious until your head pops but ambition without an end insight is just ambition. We will all see in the end whenever the game is complete and if it lives up to the ungodly hype surrounding it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17853 Posts

i think the devs perhaps shouldnt have been as open about whats going on as they have been. in fairness they said they were going to develop this in the open and they have stuck to that. combine that with the very long dev time (its been in the oven a very long time now by any metric in games development) and i think fatigue is setting in for some.

but the modern alphas and betas we see for some games from the likes of EA: those are not alphas or betas. those are nearly finished games where they are just looking for player feedback and load testing. what we are seeing with the SS alpha....thats proper alpha software. messy, bugs galore, runs like a pig, broken in places and incomplete features. thats what an alpha is and its perfectly normal. but i think thats freaking people out because they think an alpha is polished and pretty much done and is close to release.

they probably should have focused on SQ 42 first also. get the planet stuff, space fighting and FPS stuff up and running (which is still a lot) and get a great game out. leave all the mmo, galaxy building stuff for later and just get a great game with a solid lump of the technical challenge done out and into peoples hands. even if SQ 42 is a more structured freespace style mission setup...is that a deal breaker? i mean i think that was the original goal.

but the very long dev time is now starting to take the sheen off the game. going by the state of the alpha; i would be very surprised to see it released this year and to be honest dont be surprised to see a Q4 2019 release (though i hope im proven wrong). they really do need to get product out though and getting a great SQ42 would get people off their backs.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GarGx1

@Pedro said:
@GarGx1 said:
@Pedro said:

Accusation? The game has been in development since 2011. It release date was in 2014 then it changed to 2016. Its now 2018. 7 years has passed and an end is not in sight. And you are surprised by the flak the game is getting for being vaporware? It has the budget that is equal to Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, No Man's Sky and The Witcher 3 combined and its still not finished after missing two deadlines which AGAIN were two years apart and AGAIN still no release date. The flak is well deserved and not as remotely as unfounded as you and your fellow apologist would try to make it out to be. You can argue that its ambitious until your head pops but ambition without an end insight is just ambition. We will all see in the end whenever the game is complete and if it lives up to the ungodly hype surrounding it.

The game started full development in February 2013, that's when the first studio opened it's doors (they moved to bigger premises the following April as production stepped up). The crowdfunding campaign ended in November 2012 and that's what gave them the money to start hiring people and open a studio. Even Cloud Imperium Games didn't exist as a company until April 2012. They didn't even have so much as a license agreement to use Cryengine until 2012 (which has been well documented recently). So are you saying that Star Citizen was in production before there was a development company, any funding, a studio, employees or a game engine? Work on Squadron 42 started even later in 2013 when the Manchester Studio opened.

The initial release for the original concept for Star Citizen was indeed 2014, then do you know what happened? They got a lot more funding than anyone could ever have anticipated, so they asked the backer community, should they continue with the original idea or go for making a game that could potentially be the most complex and ambitious game ever? The backers overwhelmingly voted for the later (85% or there about). We knew then that the 2014 release was never going to be on the cards. The fact that the funding is still rolling in ($34 million last year) says the backers are happy with the progress and at this stage, that's all that really matters.

Are there flaws and risk? of course there are. Have things happened that are worthy of criticism? Of course there has been and there will likely be more, some justified and some not. There have also been plenty of hiccups and things being pushed back, hell the crap with Ilfonic and the the FPS side very nearly cut out the heart of the game and took over a year to rectify. At the end of the day hurdles are there to be got over, some of them will be a simple jump but others will need to be clambered over. The progress is undeniable as anyone who has watched this game go from an idea, to a hanger with a couple of ships, to an arena fighter sim, to 3.0 will be able to tell you.

Squadron 42 will be released, Star Citizen will be be fully featured and have 99 working solar systems and there will still be people saying "they promised 100 solar systems, it's a scam".