When you think of great video game soundtracks, what comes to mind?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45307 Posts

I think of the Final Fantasy franchise, especially Final Fantasy 7. This battle music gets me pumped every time.

How about you, SW? When you think of great video game soundtracks, what comes to mind?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9826 Posts

Obvious answer is Ori, but Battlefield 1 was stunning…the way it rose to a crescendo towards the end of a round impressed me every time.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44176 Posts
Loading Video...

:P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46483 Posts

Sunset Synthetica was in my most played song list of last year:

Loading Video...

Watch Dogs is one I really like the percussion of:

Loading Video...

Came home yesterday, put on the Watch Dogs soundtrack and it really helped me relax. I searched some more Brian Reitzell stuff today because of it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

Homeworld has a pretty great soundtrack

Loading Video...

Metal: Hellsinger has one of the better soundtracks by known musicians. It's basically DOOM meets Hi-Fi Rush 😋

Loading Video...

The recent DOOM games are quite good. Wait, 2016 was eight years ago...guess it's not that recent. **** I'm old.

Loading Video...

Speaking of Hi-Fi Rush, it has a good OST

Loading Video...
@sealionact said:

Obvious answer is Ori, but Battlefield 1 was stunning…the way it rose to a crescendo towards the end of a round impressed me every time.

It really is a good one. Hell, just hearing it makes me want to install it again haha. 'fraid my Battlefield days are behind me though.

Wonder how the population is on that game...

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59124 Posts

Solids_le_basics disgusting another "post your fav music" in reworded.

Remember with Guild Wars, which has some of the best expansions of all time that puts modern garbage to shame, the soundtrack was a selling point. You knew you were in for a good time.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25: It's such a shame that Mick Gordon and ID software (Marty Stratton) had such a huge fallout.

His music in both Doom 2016 and Doom eternal was just perfect. It was heavy metal but it was also so much more than that, very brutal, very electronic sounding and I loved it.

He also provided the music for Wolfenstein by Machinegames and recently he collaborated on Atomic Heart.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24988 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I think of the Final Fantasy franchise, especially Final Fantasy 7. This battle music gets me pumped every time.

Loading Video...

How about you, SW? When you think of great video game soundtracks, what comes to mind?

This soundtrack scream Doom Eterrnal like. its definitely beautiful.

Loading Video...

This one also beautiful.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34696 Posts

Zelda, Metroid, Mario, DOOM, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Mega Man, Streets of Rage, Hotline Miami, Mafia, among others.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8441 Posts

I'm gonna give a shout-out to what I'm currently playing, because Penny's Big Breakaway has a real bop of a soundtrack.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
shamsher8885

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By shamsher8885
Member since 2024 • 56 Posts

it might be old but legacy of kain soul reaver 2, nothing can beat the nostialga feeling

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9826 Posts

@mrbojangles25: It’s pretty good. Bf2042 has made a comeback, before then bf5 figures ballooned and bf1 has stayed pretty solid.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k

@jaydan: Made by the Sonic Mania guys, I so want to check this out. How's the gameplay?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8441 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

@jaydan: Made by the Sonic Mania guys, I so want to check this out. How's the gameplay?

The game is a blast! It's destined to be a hidden gem in the 3D platformer genre, and I know quite a few already suggesting it's one of the best they've played in years.

I don't blame them, because it has very unique gameplay compared to other 3D platformers. There's a lot of cool tricks you can do with the Yo-Yo and building up momentum to fly across levels is very satisfying. Kinda puts 3D Sonic games to shame considering this is a 3D platformer that emphasizes building up speed.

It's not the most polished game ever, there's an occasional glitch. I fell out-of-bounds a time or two; or an audio glitch. But overall nothing that's that's been a deal-breaker for me since the game itself is so fun, and plus nothing that can't get fixed in a future patch.

I do highly recommend Penny's Big Breakaway to anyone interested in a fun new platformer.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@mrbojangles25: It's such a shame that Mick Gordon and ID software (Marty Stratton) had such a huge fallout.

His music in both Doom 2016 and Doom eternal was just perfect. It was heavy metal but it was also so much more than that, very brutal, very electronic sounding and I loved it.

He also provided the music for Wolfenstein by Machinegames and recently he collaborated on Atomic Heart.

I think it's been apparent for a while now that ID software, or really, Marty Stratton, tried to deflect some of their problems onto Mick Gordan. It's really a shame too, because while it worked for a while, it ultimately blew up in ID software's face pretty badly. I almost wonder if this situation didn't poison the well for whatever sequel they have/may have in the works for Doom Eternal. There's no controversy anymore since Mick spoke up with some evidences to back him up, but Marty did a poor job on Doom: Eternal, Mick pointed his mistakes and tried to help him, Marty took that as a personal attack and decided to device a plot to ruin Mick's reputation online. The only culprit is Marty here. Mick was forced into an impossible situation by Marty's incompetence, then made a scapegoat so that Marty could save his reputation. And now it blew right back at his face, a fitting end for such a pathetic ego crisis.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@davillain said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I think it's been apparent for a while now that ID software, or really, Marty Stratton, tried to deflect some of their problems onto Mick Gordan. It's really a shame too, because while it worked for a while, it ultimately blew up in ID software's face pretty badly. I almost wonder if this situation didn't poison the well for whatever sequel they have/may have in the works for Doom Eternal. There's no controversy anymore since Mick spoke up with some evidences to back him up, but Marty did a poor job on Doom: Eternal, Mick pointed his mistakes and tried to help him, Marty took that as a personal attack and decided to device a plot to ruin Mick's reputation online. The only culprit is Marty here. Mick was forced into an impossible situation by Marty's incompetence, then made a scapegoat so that Marty could save his reputation. And now it blew right back at his face, a fitting end for such a pathetic ego crisis.

Yeah I briefly heard about this a while back, I didn't realize it was this bad. That's some petty nonsense.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:
@davillain said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah I briefly heard about this a while back, I didn't realize it was this bad. That's some petty nonsense.

Yeah it seems like an avalanche effect because Marty kept piling up lies and lies to cover up his mistakes.

It's a damn shame, because personally I feel that Doom is the best it's ever been under Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin:

Loading Video...

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts

Pokemon Red/Blue. Guitar Hero 3 as well.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Halo 3

DMC 4

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44344 Posts

Some random games that have my favourite soundtracks are:

- Chrono Trigger

- Final Fantasy III/VI, VII, VII Remake, VII Rebirth

- Blazblue

- King of Fighters ‘96

- Sparkster

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade Game)

- Contra III: The Alien Wars

- Mega Man 2, X

- Devil May Cry 5

- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39335 Posts

We don't need to go far. BG3 and Helldivers 2 both have great soundtracks.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 913 Posts

I think of the 1,000 other threads you created over the years with this same topic

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17845 Posts

At the moment i am listening to music from:

• Homeworld 2 (End Times and Core Transfer),
  • Gravity Rush (just remembered it after the GR2 PC announcement),
  • Everybody has gone to the rapture (The Mourning tree and The light we cast).
  • Aftergold from sackboy a big adventure (that was licensed for the game),
  • er...FF7 Advent Children: The promised land (Best rendition of the song)...but that is cheating :P.
  • CP2077: Makes me feel better.

And of course, eternally, music from the Xenoblade games. SOOOOO frickin good.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
@ghosts4ever said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Loading Video...

This soundtrack scream Doom Eterrnal like. its definitely beautiful.

Loading Video...

This one also beautiful.

If you think Remake is great, the soundtrack in Rebirth is also really good. And I’m only 9 hours in!

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3490 Posts

Loading Video...

Video game music is underrated imo, especially Persona

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1351 Posts

I’d have to say any of the Tony Hawk games or Skate 3, but if we’re talking about games with original soundtracks (not recorded musician’s discography), then I’d have to say Final Fantasy XV, XIII or VIIRemake

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 760 Posts

Nier Automata

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Right now the game that's coming to my mind is Beyond Good and Evil.

The music stood out to me, but also this specific quote in the context of a game all about propaganda.

"Safe and sound in it's shell, the precious pearl is the slave of the currents"

Loading Video...

Loading Video...
sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2085 Posts

Halo definitely strong contender, KOTOR 1 and 2 again very strong purely for how star warsy they managed to make the compositions, but for an individual track I'd go with:

Loading Video...

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

oh snap