With Diablo and WOW losing players left and right, looks like Overwatch 2 is on life support

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll With Diablo and WOW losing players left and right, looks like Overwatch 2 is on life support (30 votes)

The days of old blizzard is gone and the decline will continue. 67%
The days of old blizzard is gone, but there is hope once Activsion drops the greed conquest. 33%

By The Feed

Jul 21, 2023, 01:06 AM IST

Activision Blizzard admits failure of Overwatch2, pins hope on ‘Overwatch 2: Invasion in Season 6’

The second quarter of the financial year 2022-23 has not been good forActivision Blizzardas its profit and revenue have come down. Confining it, the company has said thatOverwatch2’s engagement and player investment have declined considerably.

Overwatch 2 has not been performing well from the very beginning of last year. In a bid to shift the focus to more action and make it a thriller, the hero shooter was moved to 5v5 format. It has also made some adjustments and has made seasonal updates and introduced new heroes to attract players and bring them back.

As Overwatch created problems for Blizzard, PvE mode for the game was massively reduced. After which many questions have been raised. Consequently, the title was moved to its sequel.

Despite the setback, the financial condition of the company is not in bad shape as ActivisionBlizzardis earning billions of dollars every year from console and PC titles. The firm has not mentioned how much it has lost, but it has said that the business has been in decline.

However, Blizzard has pinned itshopeon ‘Overwatch 2: Invasion inSeason 6’ and thinks that the new avatar will trigger interest and bring the gamers back. Overwatch 2: Invasion Season 10 is most likely to be released on August 10.

https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/us/activision-blizzard-admits-failure-of-overwatch2-pins-hope-on-overwatch-2-invasion-in-season-6/amp_articleshow/101995719.cms

I really hope that Blizzard get their sh!t together, before MS takes control of them, because we have seen how MS destroys studios for profit.

• 
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39382 Posts

I wouldn't mind them being shut in a few years tbh. D4 is the first and only Blizzard/Actision game i ever purchased, so i ain't gonna miss much if they're gone.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

So these are the kind of threads we should be expecting from cows from this point forward...

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts
@lebanese_boy said:

So these are the kind of threads we should be expecting from cows from this point forward...

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11663 Posts

They've been garbage for years, that still won't and hasn't stopped people from coming back for every release thinking "this time it will be different".

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6982 Posts

I honestly really enjoyed Diablo 4. After beating the campaign and building my character I was thinking maybe Blizzard is back. Then they released a patch that nerfed just about every class into the dirt and the game actually just isn't fun anymore.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

@daredevils2k: Someone is still on copious amounts of copium over MS buying Activision.

Diablo IV player count is quite healthy. The "Boo Hoo, I'm deleting my account!" internet rant is overblown. it's so healthy, Blizzard is now worried that Diablo IV is going to cannibalize WOW player counts.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

Blizzard is one of the few big-name AAA makers I still sort of enjoy. WoW is still a fun game with a large community, and Diablo 4 is quite good as well, despite recent events.

People like to blow things out of proportion, and they also have short memories. Diablo 3 was not well received either but it ultimately went on to become quite a great game that people played for damn near a decade consistently. World of Warcraft is going strong since 2004 and has arguably released one of their better expansions not too long ago, and has really been cranking out a lot of excellent content and service for their game.

Blizzard is one of the few companies that provides a Game-as-a-Service that I actually appreciate the service aspect of. Most companies want the paycheck a GaaS provides, but they tend to fall short on the service part.

Stop reading the overblown bullshit that's literally just being used to generate ad revenue from clickbait. Don't become a victim of the media.

Gamespot was pissing on Blizzard with all this Diablo 4 negativity then the second 07/20 rolls around and Season 1 is out they've got 20 guides about it and suddenly no negativity.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

RIP Diablo.

Not a surprise, given how they managed Diablo 3. Console players had a slightly better experience, but PC players can tell you it was handled poorly from start to present. That D4 started looking golden only for it to end up being mediocre is the least surprising news of this year for those of us who played D3 on PC for years.

Path of Exile 2 coming in right on time.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts
@adrian1480 said:

RIP Diablo.

Not a surprise, given how they managed Diablo 3. Console players had a slightly better experience, but PC players can tell you it was handled poorly from start to present. That D4 started looking golden only for it to end up being mediocre is the least surprising news of this year for those of us who played D3 on PC for years.

Path of Exile 2 coming in right on time.

You mean since they didn't get to play the first version of D3 or after that? As D3 on consoles dragged behind and it was basically a solo-only game because before seasons finally hit consoles it was impossible to avoid cheaters as of character data being locally saved, not to mention the nephalem glory shit on consoles was a terrible mechanic

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6403 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:

Not from all cows, just from this cow in particular. Like lemwenzen he's a former lem, and they tend to be among the worst cows here.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19624 Posts

Last I heard, Diablo IV reached 10M players in its launch month.

10 million people "experienced" Diablo 4 in June, and none of them are happy right now

That's the biggest launch in Diablo history.

Not sure what players are unhappy about though (haven't played a Diablo game since Diablo III).

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3452 Posts

OP is a doctorate in butthurtism. You people should show some respect.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#13  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Erm, that's not what I heard from actual WoW players. They say WoW is actually in the best shape it's been in a long time, and while DF didn't sell as briskly as SL or BFA, it's retaining players much better.

And as for Diablo IV, it's one update. Far more important will be Blizzard's response to it, which is TBA. Live service games don't die suddenly from one bad decision, but slowly waste away from an accumulation of a series of bad decisions.

Kinda like what's currently happening to Overwatch 2.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

Blizzard not having to build games with monetization at the forefront could help.

Why anyone believes that approach will change after the MS merger is delusional.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7222 Posts

@Basinboy: Gamers will eventually get use to it. Its like when DLC first started, gamers cried then folded. Then microtransactions started, gamers cried then folded. Companies just using the bend dont break method.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts

I didn't consider buying Diablo IV myself because it'll be on Game Pass soon anyways. And surely I'm not the only one. I'm pretty sure it'll see continual growth once the merger goes through.

Can't speak for Overwatch 2 except I never got the appeal in the first place and never bothered with it myself. But I know there were a lot of people who didn't like the changes. I thought it was rather dumb to make a whole new game myself, they should have gone the Fortnite route, just kept expanding on gameplay modes and maybe gave the game itself a next gen overhaul, and relying on keeping that player base up to make money on the microtransactions.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23949 Posts

Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2? Yeah I can see the criticism there.

But WoW: Dragonflight is arguably the best WoW has been since at least Legion.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39382 Posts

@last_lap said:
@lebanese_boy said:

Not from all cows, just from this cow in particular. Like lemwenzen he's a former lem, and they tend to be among the worst cows here.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16576 Posts

blizzard might not be as popular as they used to be, but to say they're done is a joke. The company is an absolute monster.

When they release a new starcraft or a new warcraft RTS, i'll be on board.

Jippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jippo
Member since 2018 • 183 Posts

i'm having a blast playing don't see why there alot of hate if they are

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

I knew this thread would be from TC. That salt. XD

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59163 Posts

I hope they also get physically ill.

Nothing serous, diarrhea or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

100 hours logged into Diablo iv. Great game, there's just no endgame content once you complete the story other than dungeon repetitions and world bosses.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19587 Posts

Blizzard peaked in the mid 2000s. I'm honestly surprised that people still expect greatness from them.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

"With Diablo and WOW losing players left and right"

Huh? Pretty sure those games have a shitload of players. And especially D4 is most likely gaining players every day. I know some have made whiny YT videos of the latest update, but most people don't care.

OW2, though, I don't know. I know I stopped playing, because I thought the changes they made from OW1 sucked ass. Maybe other people agree, I don't know.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Blizzard hasn't released a good game since 2010 (Starcraft II). Cannot expect much from them ever.

D4 was the final nail in the coffin.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

Blizzard in the past year is on a "slight" upswing tbh.

Im all for complaining about how blizzard isnt the same as back in the "good ole days".

But dragonflight for wow is mostly seen as a turn in the right direction. (i no longer play, but those i know that still do say its been much better compared to shadowlands and BFA).

Diablo 4 is insanely popular ( complain that you do not like it.. fine..idc)

Its popular and people are putting a lot of time into it. Its making big money

OW2 i will agree, Failure. Mainly because it never actually came out!! it got canned.

Basically OW2 should have never existed, the whole point of OW2 was this new PVE mode that got canned.

OW2 should have just stayed OW when it went to the F2P model. But even though this happened... OW is still played by many, even if it is on a decline... it came out in 2016... so its an 8yo game.. OW overall has been very successful.

MS has an opportunity to use Blizzard to its benefit and i hope it does.

Include WOW sub with gamepass. They do that.. ill come back for dragonflight.

Revive Starcraft, give us SC3

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59163 Posts

They should have kept the elf's slutty looking.

They deserve this.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

So salty here my eyes are burning. lol :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mrbojangles25

@Planeforger said:

Blizzard peaked in the mid 2000s. I'm honestly surprised that people still expect greatness from them.

The entire AAA game industry peaked back then.

Blizzard is just one of the few at the top of the shit heap, and they support their products well.

I mean let's be honest here: between Ubisoft, EA, Activision, and a slew of others, Blizzard still makes some decent stuff.

And as I said earlier, they're one of the few publisher-developers that actually provides the service aspect in their GaaS models. Very few actually provide a service. I've had nothing but good experiences when dealing with their customer service, and despite the occasional stumble and step backwards, then always work to improve, balance, and support their games for years upon years after release.

But yes I agree, I miss the Blizzard of old.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrbojangles25
@sargentd said:

Blizzard in the past year is on a "slight" upswing tbh.

Im all for complaining about how blizzard isnt the same as back in the "good ole days".

But dragonflight for wow is mostly seen as a turn in the right direction. (i no longer play, but those i know that still do say its been much better compared to shadowlands and BFA).

Diablo 4 is insanely popular ( complain that you do not like it.. fine..idc)

Its popular and people are putting a lot of time into it. Its making big money

OW2 i will agree, Failure. Mainly because it never actually came out!! it got canned.

Basically OW2 should have never existed, the whole point of OW2 was this new PVE mode that got canned.

OW2 should have just stayed OW when it went to the F2P model. But even though this happened... OW is still played by many, even if it is on a decline... it came out in 2016... so its an 8yo game.. OW overall has been very successful.

MS has an opportunity to use Blizzard to its benefit and i hope it does.

Include WOW sub with gamepass. They do that.. ill come back for dragonflight.

Revive Starcraft, give us SC3

Don't forget that Diablo Immortal was a huge success for them, despite the giant outcry against it's microtransaction practices.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 760 Posts

The legendary people that made Blizzard North are long gone...