Would consoles be viable witout aim assist?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I remember playing Turok and it didnt have any aim assist. It really highlights all of the flaws that controllers have. At least with aim assist, it makes controllers enjoyable to play with. It just feels weird with no aim assist.With the mouse your able to change how fast your aim goes with ease. Thats what aim assist on controllers do for you automatically.

Do you think consoles would be viable without aim assist?

I think pc would be more popular than the consoles had there not been aim assist. Without aim assist controllers are pointless for fps games.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By slipknot0129

@Motokid6 said:

*sigh*.. i cant edit posts on my phone with this new system .

To answer your question.. consoles with no aim assist .. no. Itd be terrible. I remember awhile back playing Halo 2. We'd all just be nessing around trying to kill eachother on the same team. Theres no aim assist with friendlies. We.. could not .. hit.. shit.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Thats a good example.

weisguy119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 weisguy119
Member since 2006 • 3393 Posts

FPS games would be nearly impossible on consoles without aim assist. It's just to awkward to move a thumbstick cursor to aim with. With a mouse, it's as easy as zipping the cursor around the screen. In Quake 3, there was cross-platform multiplayer and PC players absolutely dominated their console counterparts, proving the superiority of the mouse/keyboard for FPS games.

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts

I reckon that if Activision released a Call of Duty game without aim-assist, the community backlash would be insane.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Aim assist isn't needed. Don't believe me? Play Killzone : SF on the PS4. It's so fluid and high res, combined with the DS4's precision analog sticks - aiming and sniping is an absolute breeze. And this is coming from a hermit. If you need aim assist in a console game, then you're a pretty big newb (IMO).

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 slipknot0129
@KHAndAnime said:

Aim assist isn't needed. Don't believe me? Play Killzone : SF on the PS4. It's so fluid and high res, combined with the DS4's precision analog sticks - aiming and sniping is an absolute breeze. And this is coming from a hermit. If you need aim assist in a console game, then you're a pretty big newb (IMO).

I'm so used to playing on consoles because they have aim assist. I probably wouldnt have a good time playing without aim assist. I either have aim assist for my controller or play on pc with the mouse. Their aint no in between for me.

All the single player games on pc have aim assist for the controller. So I only play with a controller when playing single player on my pc.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:
@KHAndAnime said:

I'm so used to playing on consoles because they have aim assist. I probably wouldnt have a good time playing without aim assist. I either have aim assist for my controller or play on pc with the mouse. Their aint no in between for me.

All the single player games on pc have aim assist for the controller. So I only play with a controller when playing single player on my pc.

Why not take the extra challenge? It's not that hard to play without aim assist. In fact, I feel like you're cheating yourself out of the experience if you're using it. It's so much more gratifying actually earning your shots and kills. But then again, I'm the kind of guy who likes to play things at a harder difficulty - and I suppose every one isn't like that.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

I turn it off when games give me the option to.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

Killzone, socom, other sony game do not use and play just fine. Some game have aim assist as part of overall expereince like COD or halo. I guess is design choice and wanting to make easier for wider audience. This why halo and cod game sell so much because even children can have success without investing so much time learning strategy, just point and shoot.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

For shooters of any kind? I don't know. I tried it once without on Halo3 and it was a bitch. I'm sure you can get used to it and be competitive, but for me, I'm going to use it.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

Actually, if you've been gaming on PC a while and are used to no aim assist, going back to consoles is tough. Take BF4 for example. In PC, you're used to having to move the mouse to aim only without any kind of pull from an aim assist. Then you try to do the same thing with a controller (PS4) and it throws you off. You can turn it off in BF4 apparently. But yeah, Halo and CoD need it to attract the larger audience of casuals.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

of course it is I did'nt even know about aim assist until call of duty