SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

Interesting but likely not for me. I freaking hate commercials/ads so much anywhere they appear, but I suppose for some this could work.

Would you be for this or against?

Sound off SW.

Partial Story.

For full story hit the link.

-----

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/shopping/xbox-game-pass-for-free-microsoft-is-experimenting-with-ad-views-for-access-to-hundreds-of-xbox-games/ar-AA1llBFJ?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=184168c1f8af46ec9ca4b282f1bf2ab1&ei=13

Xbox Game Pass for free? Microsoft is experimenting with ad views for access to hundreds of Xbox games.

What you need to know

• Microsoft Gaming CFO Tim Stuart recently described how in the future, you may be able to view ads to gain access to Xbox Game Pass.
  • Recent Xbox Series X|S code strings we've seen seem to corroborate this, with the ability to earn 15 minute blocks of Xbox Game Pass access in exchange for watching ads.
    • Game Pass across PC, Xbox, and Cloud features hundreds of games in exchange for a low monthly fee.

Microsoft Gaming CFO Tim Stuart recently caused a furore during a Wells Fargo summit where he suggested Xbox is seeking to bring Xbox Game Pass to competing platforms, such as PlayStation and Nintendo Switch. Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer later denied those plans, which seemed to be more of a north star aspirational goal rather than an actual true to life one.

Microsoft hasn't been shy about wanting to get Xbox Game Pass onto every screen possible, but of course, many platforms aren't particularly forthcoming. Apple, for example, blocks Game Pass on its iOS app store, as it sees it as competition for its own game sales. Still, that hasn't stopped Microsoft from exploring further innovation for its platform.

Recently, I noticed a report from table enthusiast and generally lovely chap Derek Heape at TweakTown that describes some comments from Tim Stuart that I'd missed. Stuart describes a scenario for Xbox Game Pass expansion, by which Microsoft may offer Xbox Game Pass access in exchange for viewing advertisements.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

No, thanks. Turned off Gamepass for the moment cause I'm not using it. And yesterday, during gameplay, a screen popped up, telling me to check out their plans en resubscribe.

Nasty.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2252 Posts

I mean I have no interest in it since I am an adult with disposable income and hate adds, my younger self would definitely have been intrigued though, depending on how intrusive the adds are!

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I could cut off the xbox plan (I don't use it - tried to download Star Field on the PC since I do pay for a sub to it and the download failed after 100GB. The XB pass couldn't just restart the download from where it left off and I would have to redownload that 100GB, plus the last 50GB that it never got to....F that. Fix your servers MS. So glad I'm not paying for use of it myself) and let my daughter watch some ads to get a free sub if she wants. It won't be $16 or $18 out of my pocket a month.

If it was an option for me, I still wouldn't watch ads nor pay for it myself. Based on the one time I wanted to use the service myself it absolutely blows and isn't worth it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69765 Posts

More options.🤷🏽‍♂️

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1107 Posts

I never go for the ad tier on anything but maybe some people will. Ads are creeping into every service lately.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

I never go for the ad tier on anything but maybe some people will. Ads are creeping into every service lately.

Ads are the best cure for my internet addiction. I don't want to spend a single minute longer on these ad ridden sites.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

That's a nice option to have, but not for me.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2547 Posts

Not surprising. They‘ve got to explore every revenue stream

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8160 Posts

options are good.. 👍

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44295 Posts

Interesting. I may or may not try something like that in the future myself.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1253 Posts

If there was a game I wanted to try.... I might be willing to give this a shot

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56216 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@girlusocrazy said:

Ads are the best cure for my internet addiction. I don't want to spend a single minute longer on these ad ridden sites.

I can tolerate certain ads on certain sites but definitely not on YouTube as I like Premium due to me using YouTube music/YouTube itself all the time, having ads poppin up while I'm watching a video (even very important ones) is always a deal breaker. Tubi ads are tolerable which helps me take restroom breaks lol.

As for the topic at hand. I unsubscribed to Game Pass last month as I was barely using it and I like to purchase my games anyway. There's zero nothing I want to play on Game Pass, MS really needs to offer better certain games that will make me come back and as Crazy said, I too never go for ad tier...especially on any gaming sub for that matter.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts

I'd be good with that.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

Would rather just pay the subscription for ad free but depending on the amount of ads that could be a good deal.

Depends when they shove them in