Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2588 Posts

From Windows Central

Xbox's new policy — say goodbye to unofficial accessories from November thanks to error '0x82d60002'

What you need to know

• From November 12, 2023, Microsoft will no longer allow unauthorized third-party accessories to be used with its Xbox consoles.
  • Players are reporting a warning message displaying on Xbox when plugging in unauthorized accessories, notifying them of the date their accessories will be blocked with "error 0x82d60002."
  • Xbox advises returning the accessory and instead referring to its list of authorized products on its website.
  • The message is shown due to the latest console build, which is said to be causing console issues when using these third-party accessories.
  • UPDATE: We've heard from sources familiar with Microsoft's plans that this may be related to Microsoft expanding its program for approved third-party wireless Xbox controllers. Most Xbox third-party controllers right now are wired.
  • Windows Central has reached out to Microsoft for comment.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50617 Posts

Wow lol, that's trash if true

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

Damn! It is almost like Xbox is a console.🤔

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44360 Posts

I never use third party peripherals for my system, let alone unauthorized third party peripherals. First party all the way for me so I’m good.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts

I'm surprised unauthorized accessories worked to begin with.

Why should they allow unauthorized accessories? So they can be vulnerable to hacks and pirated games?

It says right in the article that they are expanding the authorization so I don't see the issue

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6428 Posts

@ghostofgolden: Click bait title mate. You forgot the unorthorised part.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

"Pro-consumer" Microsoft, everybody...

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Last_Lap

@nintendoboy16 said:

MS has never been pro consumer just like Nintendo and Sony, except for when these companies stand to gain something from it.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#9 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

Is there an example of an "unauthorized" accessory that's being blocked?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I wasn't aware there were "unauthorized" accessories.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GhostOfGolden

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

On twitter I see folks using USB hubs, m/kb saying they’ve been impacted. A number of fighting stick folks too, but no official list so far. I’ll update the thread when something lIke that comes available

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GhostOfGolden

@Pedro said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I wasn't aware there were "unauthorized" accessories.

When buying 3rd party, that’s the tag you’ll need to look for. Xbox is reportedly looking to expand licenses to more 3rd parties, but the “authorized” 3rd party accessories will carry this tag on the packaging.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro

@ghostofgolden said:

When buying 3rd party, that’s the tag you’ll need to look for. Xbox is reportedly looking to expand licenses to more 3rd parties, but the “authorized” 3rd party accessories will carry this tag on the packaging.

I am aware of this. What I am not aware of is the unauthorized versions, as I haven't seen accessories without that sticker.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#14 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

On twitter I see folks using USB hubs, m/kb saying they’ve been impacted. A number of fighting stick folks too, but no official list so far. I’ll update the thread when something lIke that comes available

Hm, interesting, curious on what need would a USB hub have for an Xbox. Equally interesting for fighting stick folks, since that's quite the niche base for non-third party supported devices.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

@Pedro said:
@ghostofgolden said:

I am aware of this. What I am not aware of is the unauthorized versions, as I haven't seen accessories without that sticker.

Normally you would see 3rd-party accessories like in a Flea Market or from Gamestop.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

I wonder whether Xbox is going to set a precedence on blocking unauthorized third-party accessories, as PlayStation and Nintendo will eventually follow suit. The idea of blocking unautorized third-party accessories reminds me of Galoob's Game Enhancer which Nintendo was unable to block in the early 1990s. Is what Xbox doing today is any different from Nintendo in the early 1990s?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nintendoboy16

@last_lap said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

MS has never been pro consumer just like Nintendo and Sony, except for when these companies stand to gain something from it.

Not the defenses I was reading when it comes to them buying out the industry (Bethesda, Activision, the mere concept of them buying Nintendo).

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

shooter players should rejoice, maybe finally you dont have to play against mouse+kb players that also rock aim assist

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Last_Lap

@nintendoboy16: Are you still upset about that? Geez mate build a bridge and get over it already.

On a side note, I never once cheered for the acquisition (don't believe me then go check the FTC thread) so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

And I wouldn't want MS to buy a company like Nintendo, nothing but games for a younger audience.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I'm very happy with my 3rd party controller. I bought it because my previous 2 official controllers suffered from drift. Those official controllers are not cheap. I hope I'm not affected.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3456 Posts

That shouldn't be done halfway through a gen. People already spent money in something they expect to work with the hardware they bought. Sucks even more because it can affect people with less money that go for cheaper options.

With that said, I don't know how vast the list of authorised peripherals will be. Anyway, shouldn't be done mid gen.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

lol :P

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

This isn't new in fairness. I remember buying an unofficial PS3 controller (it looked like the genuine article) and it worked for a while. Then Sony released a firmware update for the PS3 and it stopped working. They didn't even show an "unauthorized accessory" message.

On a side note: The knock off was also nicer to use than the genuine article :P.

Anyway that's just one example but I'm sure there are loads of them from all console makers throughout history. Hardware wise, console makers make more profit from accessories than they do from the console hardware itself so it's big money for them.

It sucks though. Just going to be more waste now as perfectly functioning controllers get binned because the console maker didn't get their slice. One of the many downsides of consoles: You get told what you can and cannot use on hardware that YOU bought. Gotta love that walled garden.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GhostOfGolden

From The Verge

“Third-party Xbox controllers that are part of the “designed for Xbox” hardware partner program are unaffected, but any that haven’t been officially authorized by Microsoft run the risk of generating this error and being blocked for use. This might also block third-party cheat devices like XIM, Cronus Zen, and ReaSnow S1 from working on an Xbox console.

Cronus devices have been growing in popularity on console, and Microsoft’s block will likely affect some of these unauthorized adapters. Brook Gaming, which manufactures an adapter that supports PlayStation controllers on Xbox, says its device is affected by Microsoft’s block. In apost on X(Twitter), Brook Gaming warns of “functional disruptions in the near future” for a variety of its products, including a fighting board, controller adapter, and steering wheel adapter.

Microsoft’s block could adversely affect the fighting game community, though. “This is essentially a death sentence for local fighting game events that run on Xbox, much less, others that can only afford one arcade stick,”says Maximilian Dood, the biggest fighting game channel on YouTube. “The Brook Gaming converters are not cheat devices. They’re a huge boon to the fighting game community. Please reconsider!”

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GhostOfGolden
@davillain said:
@Pedro said:
@ghostofgolden said:

Normally you would see 3rd-party accessories like in a Flea Market or from Gamestop.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13049 Posts

I am not really surprised. PS5 doesn't support the Xbox controller, and the Xbox doesn't support the PS5 controller.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

Microsoft strategy

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GhostOfGolden

@kvallyx: That’s not entirely true. You can use a PS5 controller and spoof a Xbox controller via 3rd party hardware. Well not for long…

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3141 Posts

@onesiphorus: Galoob v Nintendo was more about possible copyright violation, not whether an unlicensed product had any right to be allowed to work.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13049 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:

@kvallyx: That’s not entirely true. You can use a PS5 controller and spoof a Xbox controller via 3rd party hardware. Well not for long…

Well, anyone can find work arounds or hacks. Even after this update I am sure they will.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendoboy16

@last_lap said:

@nintendoboy16: Are you still upset about that? Geez mate build a bridge and get over it already.

On a side note, I never once cheered for the acquisition (don't believe me then go check the FTC thread) so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

And I wouldn't want MS to buy a company like Nintendo, nothing but games for a younger audience.

I'll keep bringing it up so long as MS keeps up this trend, which is only going to get worse as the recent buyout opened Pandora's Box. Hell, when I say MS is awful about it across the board, I mean it. Even The Simpsons takes the piss out of the company for it on several occasions (ironic with Simpsons games' history on Xbox). That's how bad it is.

Too bad Greasy Phil seems to be a fan of Ninty, because even he doesn't agree with you. PLENTY of kids games on Xbox without them, despite that.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

Is there a connection between licensed third-party accessories and their quality? That is, are licensed third-party accessories have better quality than unlicensed accessories?

Another question: can Xbox legally block unlicensed third-party accessories from its systems? Is it different from Atari in the early 1980s that was unsuccessful in blocking third-party developers like Activision (not the Activision-Blizzard of today) from releasing games on the Atari VCS (now Atari 2600)?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

I thought that was always the case? It's their platform, why let people make money off of it?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

@ghostofgolden: Ya know, you can't used un-licensed peripherals on a PS5, either.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GhostOfGolden
@dabear said:

@ghostofgolden: Ya know, you can't used un-licensed peripherals on a PS5, either.

That’s not what’s being discussed here. Did you read your link? Who is talking about not being able to use a PS4 controller to play PS5 games? I swear some of y'all only read the headlines