qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/03/05/report-disc-less-xbox-one-to-release-in-may

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2019/03/06/xbox-reportedly-releasing-a-brand-new-disc-less-xbox-in-may-and-that-could-be-a-game-changer/#108a508176fd

Rumors have been swirling for a few months now that Microsoft is planning to release a new version of their Xbox One console without a disc drive, effectively making a digital-only console. Now reports are coming out that the digital-only Xbox One is not only real, but it will release in just a few months in May.

According to Windows Central, the console is codenamed the Xbox Maverick. The actual name, however, is reported to be the "Xbox One S All-Digital" edition. The console will be a normal Xbox One S, but all games will be digital, like a PSP Go or a tablet or phone. The idea is certainly not alien, but very rarely used on consoles.

The hope is for the console to be cheaper than a regular Xbox One S, but it is unclear how much money removing the disc drive will save both Microsoft and consumers. Still, for users who don't want to buy physical games and publishers who want to stop making physical games, the prospect is likely appealing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Hopefully it tanks hard in sales as I can't see myself going fully digital ever.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

The question is how cheap can they go with this thing. They have to bundle it with gamepass in some way.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#4  Edited By Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Hopefully it tanks hard in sales as I can't see myself going fully digital ever.

I don't want it to tank. I think there are a lot of people that want it, but I don't think I can go fully digital either unless it's forced.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Shantmaster_K said:
@i_p_daily said:

I don't want it to tank. I think there are a lot of people that want it, but I don't think I can go fully digital either unless it's forced.

Full digital needs to tank, having only 1 option (Xbox live marketplace) to buy games creates no competition and thus little incentive to lower prices.

Once full digital goes ahead there is no turning back, at least with physical I can shop around for a better price and I can trade in and get money off my next game. Digital is ALWAYS dearer upon release and yet there is no middle man, packaging/manual etc and is still higher in price, its ludicrous.

Don't get me started on ownership rights either as that is another can of worms when it comes to digital.

This console NEEDS to fail for competition to thrive, but I feel this is the beginning of the end for gaming, well for me anyway :(

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@Shantmaster_K said:
@i_p_daily said:

Full digital needs to tank, having only 1 option (Xbox live marketplace) to buy games creates no competition and thus little incentive to lower prices.

Once full digital goes ahead there is no turning back, at least with physical I can shop around for a better price and I can trade in and get money off my next game. Digital is ALWAYS dearer upon release and yet there is no middle man, packaging/manual etc and is still higher in price, its ludicrous.

Don't get me started on ownership rights either as that is another can of worms when it comes to digital.

This console NEEDS to fail for competition to thrive, but I feel this is the beginning of the end for gaming, well for me anyway :(

So true, even though I like the convenience of being able to download a game with just the push of a button, I know it will come at a cost eventually. Even though I'm on the fence with the whole Digital vs Disc argument, I know it will be just like you said, it will be no turning back if digital becomes the standard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@MarcRecon said:
@i_p_daily said:
@Shantmaster_K said:
@i_p_daily said:

So true, even though I like the convenience of being able to download a game with just the push of a button, I know it will come at a cost eventually. Even though I'm on the fence with the whole Digital vs Disc argument, I know it will be just like you said, it will be no turning back if digital becomes the standard.

I get the convenience argument but think its an excuse. We leave our homes everyday to go to work, shop, re-fuel our cars etc, so there is multiple opportunities to get games.

I think gamers are getting lazy these days and are willing to forgo cheaper prices, competition etc for "convenience"

I own only an X console and support MS, but on this I will not. If physical goes then so will I :(

Pcmasterrace69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pcmasterrace69
Member since 2017 • 373 Posts

I will be honest. If they made one x digital only for 100€ less it would be a blast. But one s at 50€ price cut is not enough to make people go crazy. Unless price goes down significantly in black friday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@pcmasterrace69 said:

I will be honest. If they made one x digital only for 100€ less it would be a blast. But one s at 50€ price cut is not enough to make people go crazy. Unless price goes down significantly in black Friday

How is no competition & higher prices a blast???

It will be interesting if video game sellers even stock this console as it directly attacks their business, and they have every right to not sell it.

xboxfanonly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -5

#10 xboxfanonly
Member since 2011 • 53 Posts

Doesn't gamestop sell digital codes? I'm sure we'll be seeing retailers something akin to that

also have you guys not heard of steam?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@xboxfanonly said:

Doesn't gamestop sell digital codes? I'm sure we'll be seeing retailers something akin to that

also have you guys not heard of steam?

Its not about buying digital codes at Gamestop, its about keeping physical media as its often cheaper than digital and then there's the trade in factor & allowing to lend games to your friend who might be going through hard times money wise and can't buy games etc.

Digital kills off competition period.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Not bothered by this personally but I think it will annoy a lot of people with large disc collections.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

Better off taking out the 3 game downloads and charging £199 1 month of gamepass.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@robert_sparkes said:

Better off taking out the 3 game downloads and charging £199 1 month of gamepass.

Even better if they just scrap it.

scarpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 scarpad
Member since 2005 • 300 Posts

I just bought a One X bundle, Fallout 76, TitanFall2 and Sunset Overdrive, for $336, $94 bucks more, who would buy this ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@scarpad said:

I just bought a One X bundle, Fallout 76, TitanFall2 and Sunset Overdrive, for $336, $94 bucks more, who would buy this ?

Casuals, young people who are use to digital EVERYTHING like movies, music etc.