How good is an Xbox one S/X as a streaming device? Does Disney+ support HDR?

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By wolfpup7
Member since 2004 • 1937 Posts

How good is an Xbox one S/X as a streaming device? Does Disney+ on S/X correctly support HDR?

I’ve got a launch Xbox one, and a Disney+ subscription, and kind of need to buy some sort of streaming device that supports both 4K and HDR… With the upcoming sale, an Xbox one s is virtually the same price as an Apple TV, Making it IMO a vastly better deal.

Normally hate to use a game console as a streaming device simply because I don’t want to wear it out, when it’s real value is playing games that only run on it, BUT for basically the same price as an Apple TV, it probably makes more sense to get another Xbox. Does anyone know if it correctly supports 4K and HDR for the big streaming services though? Disney+ in particular right now? I’ve heard that there’s some problem with HDR on the Netflix app for both Xbox One and PlayStation 4, like almost certainly it’s Netflix’s screwing up, but still.

(I’m also torn on buying an X...it’s amazing hardware, but I don’t need it yet because of my backlog, and of course Scarlet hits next year, and I’m even more loath to waste an X as a streaming device)

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

I use my 1X A LOT for streaming 4K content on Netflix, Amazon Video (and now Disney +), and rent all my movies on it using the Vudu app.

Have you looked at cheaper solutions? Seems you are a little on the fence buying a new console just for streaming. Have you checked out the likes of a Roku Ultra or Firestick 4K.....depending on features you need the various ones range from $30-$100.

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By wolfpup7
Member since 2004 • 1937 Posts

@mobius_basic: that’s good to hear it works! I’m even more tempted now that it's on sale for $200/350 with a game I really want (Star Wars)

Do you happen to know if The Mandelorian actually supports 4K and HDR? I finally logged in on my 2016 Samsung tv, and some movies are listed as both (explicitly listing what types of hdr they support even), but the Mandelorian only lists HD, and sure doesn’t look like 4K or hdr, which I’ve seen on this tv on Netflix like Jessica Jones and Daredevil, where it’s quite obvious.

The Mandelorian doesn’t look like either to me (I’m not sure it looks as good as stuff I’m watching on Hulu, which is 1080p and I think only 3.2Mb/s) and searching about it it sounds like at least at launch it was supposedly both, but maybe not really either, and maybe Disney just pulled the “4K/hdr” versions because it wasn’t really either.

Or maybe it’s just this Samsung app is no good.

I’d probably just do a firetv or roku, but all the firetvs and the higher end Rokus leave themselves in WPS pairing mode 24/7 which is stupidly insecure. The Xbox One uses WPS, but implements it correctly where it’s only on for a few seconds then shut off.

I hate to start The Mandelorian until I get the best possible version. Tried Toy Story 3 for a couple of minutes just to see since it is listed as 4K and hdr, and while it looked good/fine, it didn’t actually seem any better than a Hulu stream either.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

The Mandalorian does support 4k but is has been found to be using faux HDR in a recent test. I'm watching on a 80"4k TV and it looks pretty good! On the Xbox version of the app I launch the show from the UHD and HDR section. Even the app on my phone has it listed as 4k Ultra with HDR and Dolby Vision/Atmos support. So not sure why it isn't showing for you.

I read that article about some of these streaming sticks leaving WPS open on ARS Technica a week or so ago. That's too bad. I myself don't really worry about it where I live. You would have to be sitting on my front or back porch to pick up the signal anyways. Living in a condo or apt (or one the go), yes I could see where that could be troublesome. I also do not to use it. I was a router/switch network tech earlier in my career and prefer to set devices up manually and not use features like WPS.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

@wolfpup7: it’s acceptable. I mainly use Apple TV 4K. The issue with the gaming consoles is the slow ass CPU.

But, if you don’t mind waiting for netflix, Hulu, Disney plus and other streaming services to load and the occasional slow interface. Consoles are fine.