I guess Microsoft really "Cracked Down" on the XBL modders...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Augie12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Augie12
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I just thought it was funny how it all happened with the Halo 3 beta that came with crackdown.
zsc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 zsc4
Member since 2005 • 5233 Posts
Yes there is a lot of irony behind it, but you have to remember you can't really beat the hackers, they will eventually come back :twisted:
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

Yes there is a lot of irony behind it, but you have to remember you can't really beat the hackers, they will eventually come back :twisted:zsc4

There is no coming back with a banned xbox. They can get a new Xbox but if they mod it again it will be banned also.

Nirvanarockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nirvanarockz
Member since 2006 • 216 Posts
oh they will be back
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
give them 6 months and they will find a way.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Deihmos

give them 6 months and they will find a way.lawlessx

They already found a way. it's called buyign a new Xbox. Once the xbox is banned that's it...it will never connect to live again.

gamer4life85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamer4life85
Member since 2003 • 1203 Posts
The only way to stop hackers is to  stop xbl really some hacker prob hacked it already there is no way to permently ban them cause they always find a new way.
Bungholio55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Bungholio55
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts
I've been gone for a while from the whole gaming thing. So what happened involving Modders and Microsoft?
CassiusVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#9 CassiusVII
Member since 2006 • 1658 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]give them 6 months and they will find a way.Deihmos

They already found a way. it's called buyign a new Xbox. Once the xbox is banned that's it...it will never connect to live again.

And people arent going to beable to afford to keep modding / buying new xbox's so basically they are screwed... it serves them right cuz whats the use of having a High level if you cant back it up Legit? 

BikingPhil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 BikingPhil
Member since 2006 • 1827 Posts
I just thought it was funny how it all happened with the Halo 3 beta that came with crackdown.Augie12
Ha, nice Pun in the title.  And yes they did.  It was mostly people that pirated games that were banned
rockhead1490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rockhead1490
Member since 2004 • 752 Posts

When he says they will find a way, he means they will find a way to hack. And they dont have to buy a new xbox theres a simple solution that will cost about 10 bucks that will get them back on live. 

CrackThaRipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CrackThaRipper
Member since 2007 • 603 Posts
dont you worry guys.... Hackers shall prosper... This battle is over, but the war shall continue! MUAHAHAHAHA!
jus2nyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 jus2nyce
Member since 2005 • 1574 Posts
In my opinion MS was a little too harsh. Reading through the article I saw that a person was banned playing a backed-uped version of their game and this is perfectly legal. Unless I'm missing something Microsoft went down on modders very brutally
-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
Microsoft thinks that they can stop these guys? This whole banning thing will just get them all pissed off. I say in about a year it will be worse
ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts
*self destruct in 5 ... 4....3 ...2. ...1*
*zaAAP*

cheaters got what they deserved
eric-2-2-er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 eric-2-2-er
Member since 2003 • 533 Posts
Actually the hackers already found a way to fix this issue. However, it would have to be done on an xbox which wasn't banned (because once an xbox is banned its irreversable)
kentpaul07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kentpaul07
Member since 2006 • 154 Posts
but there not cheaters they just dont pay for there games
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Deihmos

In my opinion MS was a little too harsh. Reading through the article I saw that a person was banned playing a backed-uped version of their game and this is perfectly legal. Unless I'm missing something Microsoft went down on modders very brutallyjus2nyce

Maybe you can find a way for them to know who owns the game and who doesn't and it's not perfectly legal. They banned the console not the person. They still have their gamertag and whatever.

Avatar image for boomshakalaka88
boomshakalaka88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 boomshakalaka88
Member since 2007 • 283 Posts

but there not cheaters they just dont pay for there gameskentpaul07

dude they are cheaters. They make take a game and make a copy of it on their 360 harddrive. When its on they can change the files of the game. Which lets them chainsaw everyone in gears when the match starts...ya thats cheating.  

Bigfoot_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bigfoot_Slayer
Member since 2003 • 211 Posts

[QUOTE="kentpaul07"]but there not cheaters they just dont pay for there gamesboomshakalaka88

dude they are cheaters. They make take a game and make a copy of it on their 360 harddrive. When its on they can change the files of the game. Which lets them chainsaw everyone in gears when the match starts...ya thats cheating.

I think everyone is taking this the wrong way... Yes, they COULD cheat... But if you guys read up on the mod chips, and soft modding on xbox's, then you would know better to say that. The 360 only has limited mods... And the only thing it really has out, at least Publicly... Is to be able to play backed up games... Which is legal. It's illegal to pirate games you do not own, but there is no way to prove that they don't own it. Hackers are having a hard time with the 360 because of all the encoding and other things... So it's incredibly hard to change the files in the system. The only real thing they can do is make and play backed up games.

A lot of people are saying that once a console is banned, it's banned for good... But you do not know that. Hackers and other of the sorts can find ways around almost any security sector possible think of the psp, and how sony keeps updating it, but yet does no good). They may, or may not find a way to do it... But the homebrew community will definately try.

Not all modders or hackers are cheaters, or pirating theives. That's one thing to remember. Most of them do it for fun... Some do it because they want to make back ups for their games... Some figure out ways to change files in order to change games so they can have fun with them... Not so they can go on live and do that... Because once you do something like that, you are banned.

And whoever said that they wont keep buying new xbox's, and keep using their time to creating new ways to hack and mod... Then your wrong. Every single set of homebrew, mod, or anything else is tested on about 5-20 machine's (of any system)... So honestly and obviously, they have spent the money... And they will continue to do so.  

grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 grayoldwolf
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
In my opinion MS was a little too harsh. Reading through the article I saw that a person was banned playing a backed-uped version of their game and this is perfectly legal. Unless I'm missing something Microsoft went down on modders very brutallyjus2nyce
Everyone knows that "backup" is code for "illegally copied". Why would a legitimate owner of a game play a backup copy and not the actual game? Sure, there may be a few individuals who want to keep their original copies pristine, but the overwhelming majority of "backup" games are sold by pirates and played by either gullible chumps who think they're getting a great deal, or by guys who know exactly what they're buying and don't care that it's illegal. Piracy killed the Dreamcast, and I don't want to see it happen with the Xbox. Modders ruined Halo 2. Microsoft is absolutely doing the right thing by justifiably erring on the side of caution and assuming that anyone playing "backup" games is playing pirated games and/or cheating online. MS has made it very clear that modding the 360 is against the terms of use and that they wouldn't tolerate it in this generation. Anyone who ignored that warning deserves everything they get.
monkey2go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 monkey2go
Member since 2004 • 3760 Posts

[QUOTE="zsc4"]Yes there is a lot of irony behind it, but you have to remember you can't really beat the hackers, they will eventually come back :twisted:Deihmos

There is no coming back with a banned xbox. They can get a new Xbox but if they mod it again it will be banned also.

yeah but atleast you get to still play copied games ill just get another 360 and mod it again
smallville206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 smallville206
Member since 2006 • 817 Posts
Not familiar with the ins and outs of modding, but wouldn't one reason for people playing back-up copies is too keep from having to switch game discs all the time if they are all stored on your hard drive.
zeroproyect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zeroproyect
Member since 2005 • 465 Posts
THE BATTLE IS OVER, BUT THE WAR CONTINUES AND ITS A WAR WE WILL WIN!
monkey2go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 monkey2go
Member since 2004 • 3760 Posts
Not familiar with the ins and outs of modding, but wouldn't one reason for people playing back-up copies is too keep from having to switch game discs all the time if they are all stored on your hard drive.smallville206
20gb is not enough to hold 9 gbs of a dozen games
kentpaul07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kentpaul07
Member since 2006 • 154 Posts
you guys know NOTHING modded xbox 360's can ONLY play back up games i would know i have a modded xbox and i aint banned i dont drop 60 bucks on a game i drop 5 bucks
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts
Who cares. If you mod your 360 in anyway you should be banned. M$ has a way or vision of gaming that you abide by when you sign up for their products tou yadda yadda ya. Thats why for the most part I either only play with people on my friends list or just play by myself.
STiRacer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 STiRacer01
Member since 2006 • 137 Posts

dont you worry guys.... Hackers shall prosper... This battle is over, but the war shall continue! MUAHAHAHAHA!CrackThaRipper

and for everything stupid thing that hackers come up with.. MS will come up with something to counter... and they will laugh at you guys everytime.  

leave the xbox to people who enjoy games for what they are...  we dont want cheaters

eddy5791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 eddy5791
Member since 2004 • 986 Posts
god i wish hackers/modders/cheaters would get banned from gaming period. they all deserve to die in my opinion. a little harsh yea, but people value their gaming experience. and when REAL gamers encounter people who dont care for a game, it pisses them off. go kill yourselves modders and do it before septemper 25th
brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

Some of you people are really immature and dumb (sorry to be harsh poster above me). Most modders are doing it because its their hobby. Some people like to tune cars, some people like to build aircraft models and some people like to mod electrical machines.

Considering the cheating topic, you guys should read up on the facts about modded xboxes before polsting, since the only thing a modded xbox can do is to play a backup.

I agree with you that piracy is bad, but alot of people that modded their xbox is because they dont want to mess up the original game. I, for instance, have the release console with Hitachi drive. It scratched several of my games (Oblivion, GRAW, Guitar Hero 2). Can you even imagine how annoying it is to pay 90$ for GH2 and a month later not being able to play half of its songs since the disc is scrathed?

I certainly whish it was legitible to backup your own games and be able to play them without getting banned, because if it was then I would get my xbox modded in a blink of a second.

scriptwrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 scriptwrite
Member since 2007 • 374 Posts

you guys know NOTHING modded xbox 360's can ONLY play back up games i would know i have a modded xbox and i aint banned i dont drop 60 bucks on a game i drop 5 buckskentpaul07

They're 60 bucks for a reason, you're not paying for the Disk, you're paying for the game, and that game took men and women to design it, countless man hours and a budget that you or I can only dream of. That is what you're paying 60 dollars for and when you pay only 5 dollars, you're insulting the men and women who developed that game and are damaging the industry...  your 5 dollars means nothing to the industry... but there are millions of people like you and that's what's doing the damage.

I can only hope that Microsoft has a way of finding these modded Xbox's and doing more than simply banning you from Xbox Live. 

Actually, to be honest, I believe it's because of these modders that games are 60 dollars because they have to recuperate the money back from its honest customers. 

scriptwrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 scriptwrite

I agree with you that piracy is bad, but alot of people that modded their xbox is because they dont want to mess up the original game. I, for instance, have the release console with Hitachi drive. It scratched several of my games (Oblivion, GRAW, Guitar Hero 2). Can you even imagine how annoying it is to pay 90$ for GH2 and a month later not being able to play half of its songs since the disc is scrathed?

I certainly whish it was legitible to backup your own games and be able to play them without getting banned, because if it was then I would get my xbox modded in a blink of a second.

brodelin

I have my original PS2 and Gamecube disks from years back, Hell, I have Final Fantasy VII from 1997 and all disks are in pristine condition, why? Because I take care of my disks, I have absolutely no need to make "back ups"   

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 brodelin
[QUOTE="brodelin"]

I agree with you that piracy is bad, but alot of people that modded their xbox is because they dont want to mess up the original game. I, for instance, have the release console with Hitachi drive. It scratched several of my games (Oblivion, GRAW, Guitar Hero 2). Can you even imagine how annoying it is to pay 90$ for GH2 and a month later not being able to play half of its songs since the disc is scrathed?

I certainly whish it was legitible to backup your own games and be able to play them without getting banned, because if it was then I would get my xbox modded in a blink of a second.

scriptwrite

I have my original PS2 and Gamecube disks from years back, Hell, I have Final Fantasy VII from 1997 and all disks are in pristine condition, why? Because I take care of my disks, I have absolutely no need to make "back ups"   

I also take good care of my games. My Resident Evil games for PS1 are in almost mint condition. But the drive of my xbox 360 messes up my disks and there is nothing I can do about it. If my disk is not in the tray then it's in the gamecase.

Avatar image for SMASHED_ASPHALT
SMASHED_ASPHALT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SMASHED_ASPHALT
Member since 2007 • 1777 Posts
Hackers will find a way to do it again and MS will find a way to stop them again. It is a vicious unfortunate cycle.
scriptwrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 scriptwrite
[QUOTE="brodelin"]

brodelin

I also take good care of my games. My Resident Evil games for PS1 are in almost mint condition. But the drive of my xbox 360 messes up my disks and there is nothing I can do about it. If my disk is not in the tray then it's in the gamecase.

Then if that's the case, something is wrong with your Xbox, probably because you had it modded and it damaged the laser or something.  

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

Yes there is a lot of irony behind it, but you have to remember you can't really beat the hackers, they will eventually come back :twisted:zsc4

Eventually.

jus2nyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 jus2nyce
Member since 2005 • 1574 Posts

Furthermore with disc scratching the new next-gen discs are 1 layered (thinner than the usual disc used on the original Xbox), very easily stratched

There are dual layered disc but thats another time, another day

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 brodelin
[QUOTE="brodelin"][QUOTE="brodelin"]

scriptwrite

Then if that's the case, something is wrong with your Xbox, probably because you had it modded and it damaged the laser or something.  

My xbox isn't modded. And yeah there is a problem with my xbox, along with many others's who have the Hitachi Drive. I'm not the only person that has a flawed drive that scratches the disk.

Avatar image for Goldeneyemaster
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Goldeneyemaster
Member since 2003 • 6906 Posts

There are ways to get your 360 back on Live after it is banned.  That's all I can say for fear of the almighty mods unleashing their wrath on me.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#41 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Everyone knows that "backup" is code for "illegally copied". Why would a legitimate owner of a game play a backup copy and not the actual game?grayoldwolf
Because if your backup/burned copy gets wrecked, you're mostly out the cost of the blank disc to make a new copy. If your original gets wrecked, that's about $60 you're out. Pretty big (economic) difference there.
Sure, there may be a few individuals who want to keep their original copies pristine, but the overwhelming majority of "backup" games are sold by pirates and played by either gullible chumps who think they're getting a great deal, or by guys who know exactly what they're buying and don't care that it's illegal.grayoldwolf
Microsoft already assumes this risk with Windows. Yet they don't do a whole lot to prevent you from running a pirate Windows OS because they know it still means you're using their OS instead of something else like Linux.
 Piracy killed the Dreamcast, and I don't want to see it happen with the Xbox.grayoldwolf
Funny, it was modding/"piracy" that added several extra years of life and significant value to the Dreamcast for me. Just depends on how you use it. :)
 Modders ruined Halo 2. Microsoft is absolutely doing the right thing by justifiably erring on the side of caution and assuming that anyone playing "backup" games is playing pirated games and/or cheating online. MS has made it very clear that modding the 360 is against the terms of use and that they wouldn't tolerate it in this generation. Anyone who ignored that warning deserves everything they get.grayoldwolf
So the most I won't be able to do is play online? I hardly play online to begin with now.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#42 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I've had pristine UNMODDED PS1's and PS2's wrecking at least half my library of games before they would finally die on me. No amount of care can improve a system that starts scratching up your games.
Then if that's the case, something is wrong with your Xbox, probably because you had it modded and it damaged the laser or something.  scriptwrite
scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts
[QUOTE="boomshakalaka88"]

[QUOTE="kentpaul07"]but there not cheaters they just dont pay for there gamesBigfoot_Slayer

I think everyone is taking this the wrong way... Yes, they COULD cheat... But if you guys read up on the mod chips, and soft modding on xbox's, then you would know better to say that. The 360 only has limited mods... And the only thing it really has out, at least Publicly... Is to be able to play backed up games... Which is legal. It's illegal to pirate games you do not own, but there is no way to prove that they don't own it. Hackers are having a hard time with the 360 because of all the encoding and other things... So it's incredibly hard to change the files in the system. The only real thing they can do is make and play backed up games.

A lot of people are saying that once a console is banned, it's banned for good... But you do not know that. Hackers and other of the sorts can find ways around almost any security sector possible think of the psp, and how sony keeps updating it, but yet does no good). They may, or may not find a way to do it... But the homebrew community will definately try.

Not all modders or hackers are cheaters, or pirating theives. That's one thing to remember. Most of them do it for fun... Some do it because they want to make back ups for their games... Some figure out ways to change files in order to change games so they can have fun with them... Not so they can go on live and do that... Because once you do something like that, you are banned.

And whoever said that they wont keep buying new xbox's, and keep using their time to creating new ways to hack and mod... Then your wrong. Every single set of homebrew, mod, or anything else is tested on about 5-20 machine's (of any system)... So honestly and obviously, they have spent the money... And they will continue to do so.

Where can I get a copy of your biography?Â