Problems with my mom

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UnknownUser433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UnknownUser433
Member since 2016 • 2 Posts

Hey guys. So im currently 15years old and turning 16 in december and i've worked this summer to earn some money and i've been thinking about buying an xbox one and a monitor to have at my moms house so one day i decided to ask if i can buy it and she said no. I asked why and then she said you have to get good grades. To be honest my grades are really bad and she knows i love gaming. She kept saying that and stuff likely to that. She says i should buy clothes with the money, u guys probaly wonder how much money i have. I have around 580$ and also my mom sometimes said i should save it for the future or something which i'm not doing. I really need help with this situsation.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Yup,get good grades first.

Shadowdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shadowdragon
Member since 2016 • 12 Posts

Save for the future

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44637 Posts

just get good grades and you're parents will let you do what you want, it's not that hard to get good grades, I earned detention like every other day because of a teacher who hated me but just that extra hour here and there took care of most of my homework needs

anyhow, fresh school year, so fresh clean slate, just do well and your freedom will come

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#5 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I have to agree with others buddy. Get the grades. It really is important. I slacked off a lot at your age. And I regret it. I had to do remedial math in my first year of college because I didn't want to study in HS. Get the grades, be truthful and you'll get the things you need in life. But you'll also get rewarded a bit as well.

Avatar image for rosinmonkekyx17
rosinmonkekyx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rosinmonkekyx17
Member since 2015 • 3019 Posts

Go Asian try-hard and get all A's

Problem solved

SoupyFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 11

#7 SoupyFlow
Member since 2014 • 136 Posts

I am probably not the best example to live by.

But in high school I did not care about my grades at all except for the classes I cared about like History and Tech. My high school report card would usually look something like this:

English: C+

AP European History: A+

Technology: A+

Spanish: D

Algebra II: D-

P.E.: A

My parents would normally have a WTF face every time they looked at my report card. I also got a horrible score on my ACT due to being hung over from the night before and just doing the abracadabra trick where I would write in ABBA CA DABBA in the bubbles. I only took it once.

Anyhow, I went into the military(USMC) for four years after high school where my high school grades did not matter. My ASVAB scores were high enough where I was offered any job, but like a dumb 17 year old, I chose Infantry. Then after the military I went to an expensive private college, where again my high school grades did not matter, yet I was Valedictorian of my class and had close to a 4.0 GPA.

Now I am making six figures in the tech field and can do and buy almost anything I want. I am 34, only 30 if you subtract the time I spent in the military, and I am on track to have a ton of money saved for my retirement.

However, I am not saying your high school grades don't matter. Most public/private colleges require good grades and good ACT/SAT scores to get in, so high school grades do matter. :)

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@unknownuser433:

Man, **** the future!! What has the future ever done for you?! You need games now, dude! Just buy it! It's your money, you earned it! You shouldn't have to ask how you can spend it cuz that's why we work!

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I remember your age well. In all honesty, enjoy gaming while your young. I think it was more fun and magical than it seemed as I got older. Good grades could help you in regards to college but really, so long as you can graduate HS, you can get higher education...I did. I had a C/D average throughout 2-12 grade.

It's your money. You worked for it, your mom did not. But understand she wants you to have it better....but sorry to say that $580 isn't even chump change in the real world, saving it for the future is going to do what exactly? Help you retire? Buy you a brand new car? A home?.....LMAO. My last months credit card payment was over $700 alone so don't be too concerned that $580 should go towards your future, it might barely pay for 1 month's dorm rental in college. Life isn't hard, it just takes consistancy and priorities but you're in HS, enjoy that age for everything it's worth because it's a fun age...age of stupidity too but fun.

I grew up poor, worked throughout HS and bought whatever I wanted. I'm mostly self taught, more so than the sorry educational system has done. I partied hard in college but so long as your the type that can be consistent and focused on priorities, it's not a big deal. So go out and buy your Xbox. For me it was a Sega CD and later the Playstation....and I enjoyed the hell out of them. As I got older, I got really finicky about the games I play nor do I have as much time...so might as well enjoy it.

For me now, those memories of Playstion, N64..etc are well cherished and I often replay those games I enjoyed so much back then, I'm sure you will too .

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Do you have an idea of how she will react if she walks in and its all setup in her home? If she makes a fuss over it, but you think she will settle down and leave it alone after a very short time, then go for it. If she is a super strict mom and you have a good idea that she will do something with it when you are gone, like sale it or put it away so you cant use it, then probably not worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

So you worked for the money, i'd say go buy what you want with it, your mum isn't paying for it. You can always study when you get older an get a good job like I did, you're still a kid, go play like one, save the grown up shit for when you are one.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

I spent a lot of my teenage years gaming, drugs, f*cking and partying. My grades were awful, couldn't get into a good college.

I'm fine now, make plenty of money. But it took me much longer to get to this point than if I just did what my parents said and concentrated on school.

Listen to your mom dude

xbox2232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 xbox2232
Member since 2016 • 25 Posts

Now seems to be the time for the school year to begin,so if I were you,I would study more/harder to slightly improve the grades.That way maybe your mom will see your giving more of an effort and be more flexible on letting you buy a console.Good luck to you Sir.