Tell Me What I May Not Know (Console Gaming in General. )

Avatar image for deactivated-603e7e63a1cbb
deactivated-603e7e63a1cbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-603e7e63a1cbb
Member since 2020 • 10 Posts

So I built my current PC last summer. More of a budget machine (GTX 1060 6GB, i5-9400f. ). Always played on PC, never had a console (Not counting PSP and some Famicom bootleg ). Damn, not so long ago I actually started using a controller.

Now with Series X announced - I wonder if I should get that. It's said to have GPU as powerful as RTX 2080 which is nuts since that GPU alone costs way more than the price we expect the console to have. Also apparently a budget version that can't display in 4K or get to 120fps or whatever? Not like my monitor can display these anyway and I don't plan on buying a new one so count me in.

My current PC is capable of running most of the stuff that I want it to run but RayTracing is like a slowly-spreading disease and I fear that Bethesda's "Next Gen" RPG-s (Starfield, ESVI. ) might use this technology. In such case I prefer to have the best vanilla visuals even at the cost of modding. Also it's said that it'll be backwards-compatible with 360 so I could play some older SoulCalibur games that didn't get a PC port or maybe TestDrive 2 that has been pulled out of Steam.

My question is - In case in which I'll decide to buy it when it releases - what am I actually getting myself into? I heard something of some kind of subscriptions. How do they work and for what do I need them for? Any pros/cons of console gaming that I might be unaware of?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

Console gaming Pros:

• games and accessories will work without any hassle. No drivers or incompatible hardware to worry about
  • Might have to download an update, but that will generally happen automatically
  • user interface is more intuitive
  • cheaper hardware

Cons:

• Lower framerates. 30fps is generally considered acceptable on console. Honestly, when you are sitting further away from the screen on your couch, it is usually fine. But if you are accustomed to 60-120, it can be jarring
  • If a game doesn't run well, you really have no way to improve performance
  • No mods
  • You will have to pay for an Xbox live subscription to play online

In general, PC will give you a better gaming experience, but you may have to jump through hoops to get to that point. Console gaming may be a downgrade when it comes to visuals and performance, but in most of the time everything just works.