emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone else out there bought themselves some flash carts for their cart based consoles.

I would love to collect copies of the actual games, but the prices have skyrocketed to ridiculous levels. Even some of the most common game out there are fetching $30+ dollars for a loose copy. Thank God Everdrives exist so I don't have to pay a crazy amount of money to play some of my favorite retro games.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'm looking into buying a few. The resellers that run shops don't seem to realize that the false price increases being created are actually going to hurt business down the line. Over time the market is being pigeon holed to the collector and in effect is losing the everyday customer. Just look what has happened with Everdrive. The retro market got so big that someone actually started a new market of sorts within the said retro market.

I'm just unsure how to go about buying. Through Stoneage or the official site and through what pay method. I've had identity theft a few times so I'm rather paranoid about where I use any type of card.

AlCapwnUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AlCapwnUK
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts

I have a dream of getting a GBA Micro and flashcart, and then having my whole GBA collection available on a single cart

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21706 Posts

Live the Ever Drive? No, but I do have have some reproduction carts of Japanese only games that go for obscene prices.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By emgesp

@Heirren said:

I'm looking into buying a few. The resellers that run shops don't seem to realize that the false price increases being created are actually going to hurt business down the line. Over time the market is being pigeon holed to the collector and in effect is losing the everyday customer. Just look what has happened with Everdrive. The retro market got so big that someone actually started a new market of sorts within the said retro market.

I'm just unsure how to go about buying. Through Stoneage or the official site and through what pay method. I've had identity theft a few times so I'm rather paranoid about where I use any type of card.

I got my SD2SNES via StoneAgeGamer. I just bought the board with the NA shell option which saves you like $50 compared to the deluxe version.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By emgesp

@Renegade_Fury said:

Live the Ever Drive? No, but I do have have some reproduction carts of Japanese only games that go for obscene prices.

I actually own a couple of Sega Genesis repros of some of the more expensive games like M.U.S.H.A and Alien Soldier. LOL, only payed $16 for both games. It might not be the legit copies but they do play just like the originals and that is all that matters to me. I'm not going to pay over $100 for a single game.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Renegade_Fury

@emgesp said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

I actually own a couple of Sega Genesis repros of some of the more expensive games like M.U.S.H.A and Alien Soldier. LOL, only payed $16 for both games. It might not be the legit copies but they do play just like the originals and that is all that matters to me. I'm not going to pay over $100 for a single game.

$16? Wow, that's pretty cheap. I have the real version of MUSHA, but my reproduction cart of Alien Soldier was $30. My stance is that if it's a game that was released in the US and I really want it, I'm willing to spend in the hundreds since I don't buy many games per year, but screw throwing away something like $700 for Eliminate Down, when it isn't even that special. Price tags like that are just beyond asinine.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emgesp

@Renegade_Fury said:
@emgesp said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

$16? Wow, that's pretty cheap. I have the real version of MUSHA, but my reproduction cart of Alien Soldier was $30. My stance is that if it's a game that was released in the US and I really want it, I'm willing to spend in the hundreds since I don't buy many games per year, but screw throwing away something like $700 for Eliminate Down, when it isn't even that special. Price tags like that are just beyond asinine.

Nice, did you have to pay a ton for MUSHA, or did you buy it before the insane price increases? I'm really hoping the retro game price bubble will burst soon.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@emgesp said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@emgesp said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

Nice, did you have to pay a ton for MUSHA, or did you buy it before the insane price increases? I'm really hoping the retro game price bubble will burst soon.

I think it was right before the super crazy prices started, because I remember I spent either $50 or $80 for it and Shinobi III together. I've been hoping for the price bubble to drop too, but it's been a long time and nothing has changed, but luckily I got most of the games I wanted a few years ago, so I haven't been too burnt. It is interesting however to see stuff like Crusader of Centy and Grind Stormer, games that I got not that many years ago, basically more than double in price in such a short time span. Genesis games have really skyrocketed in value as of late.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@emgesp said:
@Heirren said:

I got my SD2SNES via StoneAgeGamer. I just bought the board with the NA shell option which saves you like $50 compared to the deluxe version.

Likely going to pick up one for Genesis and N64. I've read the v3 N64 finally hit a mark that makes it worth it. Part of it is for convenience. 90 percent of my N64 games were in a flood. I figured they were all dead. Waited maybe 4 years to clean them up and some of them still work. Accumulated some games more recently and moving around 30 to 40 carts is not ideal. While there is that factor of being disgusted by false inflation, it isn't like I don't have most of the games--or at one point owned them. Another positive are the fan translations. I'm playing Mother 3 on an emulator not because of cost but because it literally wasn't deemed viable for a given market.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Want to get some Everdrives someday for dat convenience.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By emgesp

@Heirren said:
@emgesp said:
@Heirren said:

Likely going to pick up one for Genesis and N64. I've read the v3 N64 finally hit a mark that makes it worth it. Part of it is for convenience. 90 percent of my N64 games were in a flood. I figured they were all dead. Waited maybe 4 years to clean them up and some of them still work. Accumulated some games more recently and moving around 30 to 40 carts is not ideal. While there is that factor of being disgusted by false inflation, it isn't like I don't have most of the games--or at one point owned them. Another positive are the fan translations. I'm playing Mother 3 on an emulator not because of cost but because it literally wasn't deemed viable for a given market.

IMHO, V3 really isn't worth the premium over the V2.5 unless you really need to play Animal Crossing. The only other big plus the V3 has over the V2 is you don't have to reset to save your files since there is a battery backup. I'd say just go with V2.5 if you don't mind having to press the reset button every time you want to save your files.

My next flash cart will be the Turbo Everdrive V2 whenever that gets released.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@emgesp:

The reset thing is why I'd prefer the v3. After what you said I'm unsure of even how it works. I think the Mega Everdrive will be the first one, though. There are two versions of that one as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@emgesp:

Alright I going to likely pick 2 today, or in the next few days. Was going to go with just one but I figured if I'm going to order why not get 2. Genesis is a definite. I'm confused though as to which model to go with--the Everdrive-MD v3 or the Mega Everdrive v2. The Megaeverdrivev2 is twice the cost. What are the real world benefits? I see that it writes memory differently. Correct me if i'm wrong but the cheaper MDv3 writes in a finite fashion, no? I'd like to spend less as that would dictate the other everdrive I buy. My thought is to get the cheaper Everdrive MDv3 along with either the N8 or ED64v3, OR the more expensive MEDv2 and the GBeverdrive.

I'm also not sure where to buy from. I'm told the official store is the way to go. Seems obvious but it is located outside the US and I've read in the krikzz forums that there are issues with the carts occasionally. Meaning sending it in for repairs would be a hassle. Still leaning towards the official site and I think it is cheaper than stoneage.

Any thoughts or general insights?

...I thought about the sd2snes or super everdrive but they seem to lack the chip variant compatibility which is quite a few great games.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By emgesp

@Heirren said:

@emgesp:

Alright I going to likely pick 2 today, or in the next few days. Was going to go with just one but I figured if I'm going to order why not get 2. Genesis is a definite. I'm confused though as to which model to go with--the Everdrive-MD v3 or the Mega Everdrive v2. The Megaeverdrivev2 is twice the cost. What are the real world benefits? I see that it writes memory differently. Correct me if i'm wrong but the cheaper MDv3 writes in a finite fashion, no? I'd like to spend less as that would dictate the other everdrive I buy. My thought is to get the cheaper Everdrive MDv3 along with either the N8 or ED64v3, OR the more expensive MEDv2 and the GBeverdrive.

I'm also not sure where to buy from. I'm told the official store is the way to go. Seems obvious but it is located outside the US and I've read in the krikzz forums that there are issues with the carts occasionally. Meaning sending it in for repairs would be a hassle. Still leaning towards the official site and I think it is cheaper than stoneage.

Any thoughts or general insights?

...I thought about the sd2snes or super everdrive but they seem to lack the chip variant compatibility which is quite a few great games.

When it comes to the Mega Everdrive vs the Everdrive MD there is no contest.

Mega Everdrive's benefits.

- Instant loading time (Everdrive MD can be rather slow when writing the roms to ram).

- Snapshot Saves

- Sega CD Ram Cart feature

SD2SNES will run the vast majority of all SNES games. Here is a list of games the SD2SNES is not currently compatible with.

https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

Trust me, even though there are a good number of games it can't currently run its still worth it just for the fact that most good SNES games these days are quite expensive on the used market. The SD2SNES costs about as much as you would pay for 5 quality SNES titles on Ebay.

I personally would wait for the V2 of the ED Gameboy, or if you have a Gameboy Advance the EDGBA. Krikzz is going to implement what he learned from designing the new Turbo Everdrive V2 for future projects.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@emgesp:

I actually held off buying until I heard what you had to say:).

Are you suggesting there are issues with the GB one, or any version1? I am hesitant on these because I see all the revisions. I really want to pick up the NES one but it is v1. I see Mega Everdrive is v2, sitting next to a ED64v3. Honestly the benefits of the Mega EDv2 still don't seem like much, but I guess why not? I'm indecisive I think because I'd just like to buy already and there are too many options with too many people saying this or that way is worth it.

***you have any opinion on "new" NES controllers at stoneagegamer? ....or any general insight into any products associated with these consoles, be it controllers, AC plug, etc...

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By emgesp

you have any opinion on "new" NES controllers at stoneagegamer?

@Heirren said:

@emgesp:

I actually held off buying until I heard what you had to say:).

Are you suggesting there are issues with the GB one, or any version1? I am hesitant on these because I see all the revisions. I really want to pick up the NES one but it is v1. I see Mega Everdrive is v2, sitting next to a ED64v3. Honestly the benefits of the Mega EDv2 still don't seem like much, but I guess why not? I'm indecisive I think because I'd just like to buy already and there are too many options with too many people saying this or that way is worth it.

***you have any opinion on "new" NES controllers at stoneagegamer? ....or any general insight into any products associated with these consoles, be it controllers, AC plug, etc...

The current GB everdrive is pretty darn slow at writing roms. I mean if you don't care about loading times then go for it, but V2 will most likely be a much faster version. Anyways, I'd personally just wait for the GBA Everdrive as it will be able to run GBA, GBC and standard GB games.

Also, thanks for telling me about those New OEM NES controllers. $26.99 isn't too shabby for a brand new NES controller. I mean that is only about $15 more expensive than what you would pay for a used NES controller on Ebay.