My fellow gamers, which consoles was the biggest monster for it's time surpassed what PC doing in that time?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

DaVillain  Moderator

Poll My fellow gamers, which consoles was the biggest monster for it's time surpassed what PC doing in that time? (16 votes)

NES 0%
SNES 25%
Nintendo 64 6%
PSX 31%
Dreamcast 6%
OG Xbox 6%
Xbox 360 6%
Neo Geo console 13%
Other: 6%

It's been a long time since I made a thread in this place, but not sure if it fits here for not being on System Wars but whatever.

Anyway, I'm talking about when it first came out surpassing even what PC's were doing at the time/era. I'll go and say N64 definitely had the technology for it's time. From using fog to mask a second set of draws, to full scene antialiasing, super nice texture filtering for the time, alpha channel textures, a processor that was literally 3x faster than the competition and the first console afaik to use a dedicated 3D acceleration graphics coprocessor inside the console it's self, which alone was about twice as fast as the PS1's CPU.

It might not have been as fast as PC 3D cards of the era, but it held it's own fairly well. I don't think PS1 even could do alpha blending, and all it's 3D had to be done on the main CPU. N64, Dreamcast, and OG Xbox are all right up there, though. Dreamcast for just being the first console of it's generation mostly and I guess the first really online-centric console in the west, and OG Xbox for having pixel shaders and being the first HD console and the first HDD centric console. Voted N64.

What's your take on this?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

SNES

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16017 Posts

Which console with the SEGA does what nintendon't advert? That one.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'd say PS1, Dreamcast and PS2 all easily surpassed PC at their specific times.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

16-32 bit era definitely felt like consoles were doing better games in general. After that console gaming started feeling like PC gaming with bad controls.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1130 Posts

PS1 was before 3d accelleration was mainstream or well supported on PC (though that changed a within two years or so).

PS3 and 360 were better than most high end rigs at their launch.

Nes/Genesis had dedicated spirte/scrolling hardware that was difficult for PCs to compete with at decent speeds even though their CPUs were way more powerful.

Consoles being weaker than PCs at launch is a relatively modern thing.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

The 16-bit era was really the one time when consoles were WAY ahead of anything a computer could do, at least early on. DOS PC gaming was only just starting to really come into its own, and the Genesis and SNES games were routinely outperforming anything you'd see on the Amiga or Atari ST. The 32-bit era's when we started seeing graphics cards really take hold, which allowed Win95 PCs to really sing. That's really when you started seeing how easy it was to just buy performance pretty much on a whim.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

If I'm remembering right, the SNES and Genesis could do games better than the PC back then. This persisted into maybe the PS2/GC/Xbox era. One game that comes to mind is N64's Turok, which was a technical showcase for the system at the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Nvidia said that mid PS2 era was when PC started to stretch its muscles.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56400 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

If I'm remembering right, the SNES and Genesis could do games better than the PC back then. This persisted into maybe the PS2/GC/Xbox era. One game that comes to mind is N64's Turok, which was a technical showcase for the system at the time.

Yep, the N64 for its time was seen as powerful, when the expansion pack came for the N64, it was like upgrading a GPU at the time, most games couldn't run without it such as Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark, & Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask comes to mind. Turork was a technical achievement, I always ask myself why this game is so foggy but when the PC version came out, it really showed that the N64 was limited in ways but still a technical showcase as you pointed out.

c_doody_1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 c_doody_1999
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

The 3do was a monster when it released i understand. Doing things no one had seen. I never interacted with it though.

To be honest the ps5 is still now a leap ahead of what pcs are doing untill windows 11 adds direct accsess for faster loading times.

Yea the psx was impressive on launch. But their was a section of pc that had that capability it was just nieche and very expensive in the pc space and psx made it affordable. Which is what the consoles generally do.