uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59314 Posts

Quake II: Remaster from a price and quality standpoint put other remasters to shame. It's the benchmark. Barely a flip.

As for overrated I don't like to be negative like you guys. Baldurs Gate 3 is a great game.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14944 Posts

Threads like this are interesting, it shows that critics are out of touch. This is what happens if you pit Octopath II against Sea of Stars.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/should-i-get-octopath-traveler-2-or-sea-of-stars.799164/

https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/186fqa0/which_jrpg_should_i_play_next_octopath_traveler_2/

And Octopath II dominates the debate on GameFAQs as well. Sea of Stars's gameplay is more limiting and the storytelling is worse by consensus in these threads.

This is the critics just not doing their jobs and actually analyze the games. The ride on hype trains instead.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44538 Posts

Not sure about what I might consider overrated but as for underrated I would say Lies of P.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59314 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

Threads like this are interesting, it shows that critics are out of touch. This is what happens if you pit Octopath II against Sea of Stars.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/should-i-get-octopath-traveler-2-or-sea-of-stars.799164/

https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/186fqa0/which_jrpg_should_i_play_next_octopath_traveler_2/

And Octopath II dominates the debate on GameFAQs as well. Sea of Stars's gameplay is more limiting and the storytelling is worse by consensus in these threads.

This is the critics just not doing their jobs and actually analyze the games. The ride on hype trains instead.

Essentially complimented yourself, implied critics live in a echo chamber, only to immediately cite another echo chamber to discredit them.

Alrighty.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58500 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Essentially complimented yourself, implied critics live in a echo chamber, only to immediately cite another echo chamber to discredit them.

Alrighty.

If anything, we are the ones that are out of touch. Not in like a cultural sense but more from like a "we take this shit more serious than most" sense.

We post on a video game forums; we don't really represent the "average video game player" who buys maybe one game every few months and is basically playing CoD or Halo or whatever most of the year.

We won't overlook things that a casual gamer might overlook, and we might forgive certain things if the game is niche and delivers well in other areas (for example, I will take heaps of Euro-jank in a game like Gothic or Risen if it gives me that rough and tough action-RPG goodness 😋 ).

Most gamers would be like "What is this? Why is this game janky? Why is the voiceacting terrible?"

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25059 Posts

Most overrated: Hogwart Legacy. Generic open wold RPG game but set in harry potter universe.

Most underrated: Robocop. Almost masteerpiece. remind me of early 00s FPS.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By texasgoldrush

@mrbojangles25 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Alrighty.

If anything, we are the ones that are out of touch. Not in like a cultural sense but more from like a "we take this shit more serious than most" sense.

We post on a video game forums; we don't really represent the "average video game player" who buys maybe one game every few months and is basically playing CoD or Halo or whatever most of the year.

We won't overlook things that a casual gamer might overlook, and we might forgive certain things if the game is niche and delivers well in other areas (for example, I will take heaps of Euro-jank in a game like Gothic or Risen if it gives me that rough and tough action-RPG goodness 😋 ).

Most gamers would be like "What is this? Why is this game janky? Why is the voiceacting terrible?"

However, the forum posting opinions are backed up by Octopath II's higher player review scores compared to Sea of Stars.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8383 Posts

Overated: BG3, another turn based rpg with elves blehhh

Underated: Pizza Tower, Fat Pizza man runs fast 🏃‍♂️

Avatar image for clockworkbanana
ClockWorkBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ClockWorkBanana
Member since 2022 • 270 Posts

Alan Wake 2 is the most overrated game I've played this year. Still a great game though

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

Sea of Stars is safe but charming and i don't see anything wrong with that, i rather play both than having to limit myself.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 texasgoldrush

@madsnakehhh said:

Sea of Stars is safe but charming and i don't see anything wrong with that, i rather play both than having to limit myself.

That does not make it one of the years best games or better than a game that players see as a masterpiece.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts

Underrated

1. Final Fantasy XVI

2. Sea of Stars

3. Diablo IV

Overrated

1. Octopath Traveler II

2. Dragon Quest Monsters The Dark Prince

3. Wandering Sword

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70390 Posts

Overrated

Sea of Stars

Baldur's Gate 3

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By above_average
Member since 2021 • 1639 Posts
@Chutebox said:

Underrated

1. Final Fantasy XVI

2. Sea of Stars

3. Diablo IV

Overrated

1. Octopath Traveler II

3. Wandering Sword

Never understood why Dragon Quest of all things go so much praise for such a basic cookie cutter turn based RPG.

After discovering the Atelier series on PS5 especially the DX versions (not the underwhelming Ryza saga other than pt2.) ,a series that actually goes back to what, PS2?, I've gotten all my turn based cravings fulfilled by these games made 10, 15, 20 years ago?

Honestly, I've spent more time playing these games than everything else released this generation.

Since were on the topic of over rated or underrated, I provide my recommended list for anyone interested.

This is my recommend for anyone looking for a deep crafting MULTI-STORY, MULTI-ENDING, open ended crafting turn based Japanese RPG that is LITERALLY designed for multiple play thru new game plus.

CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED TURN BASED JAPANESE RPGS {AVALIBLE ON PS+)

1. Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky (My first classic PS3 Atelier title played thru PS Plus on PS5 that made me go out an purchase the DX version and 4 or 5 other Atelier games without hesitation)

2. Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk

3. Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland

4. Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea

*Many of these games are available on PS Plus for no additional charge but most of them are the raw PS3 NON-DX versions which don't hold ur hand and will GAME OVER for you before 1/5 of the game is explored* DX VERSIONS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6698 Posts

Overrated: Resident Evil 4 Remake, Alan Wake 2, Balders Gate 3, Spiderman 2, Zelda TotK, Super Mario Bros Wonder.

Underrated Remnant 2, Formula Retro Racing (think Virtua Racing), Atlas Fallen.

Avatar image for clockworkbanana
ClockWorkBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ClockWorkBanana
Member since 2022 • 270 Posts

@above_average said:
@Chutebox said:

Underrated

1. Final Fantasy XVI

2. Sea of Stars

3. Diablo IV

Overrated

1. Octopath Traveler II

3. Wandering Sword

Never understood why Dragon Quest of all things go so much praise for such a basic cookie cutter turn based RPG.

The mainline Dragon Quest series is the most creative RPG out there. Have you even played them?

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Underrated:

Star Ocean SS R

Know a lot of people liked it, but not getting the rec it deserves. Best remake I've played, ever. They absolutely nailed it.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 texasgoldrush

@clockworkbanana said:
@above_average said:
@Chutebox said:

Underrated

1. Final Fantasy XVI

2. Sea of Stars

3. Diablo IV

Overrated

1. Octopath Traveler II

3. Wandering Sword

The mainline Dragon Quest series is the most creative RPG out there. Have you even played them?

And this is not a mainline title....but yeah....I think DQIX has one of the best JRPG combat systems ever. Tension system and job system.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34766 Posts

Overrated:
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Dead Space Remake
Hogwart's Legacy
Spider-Man 2
Alan Wake 2
Diablo 4
Starfield

Some people gave those games 10/10. What the actual ****.

Underrated:
Don't know. Most games I've played have good ratings.

Edit: I'll include Super Mario Bros. Wonder in overrated. It's good, but not that good.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Last_Lap

@Litchie said:

Overrated:

Resident Evil 4 Remake

Dead Space Remake

Hogwart's Legacy

Spider-Man 2

Alan Wake 2

Diablo 4

Starfield

Underrated:

Remnant 2 is criminally underrated.

PC Invasion (who the **** are they) gave it a 4/10 other sites giving it 6's and this site gave it a 7.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Litchie

@last_lap: Ok, maybe then. I'd personally give it a 7. An 8, tops.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Last_Lap

@Litchie said:

I'm more in the 9 camp. When it comes to content, gameplay including gunplay it's a 10 for me.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Litchie

@last_lap said:
@Litchie said:

I'm more in the 9 camp. When it comes to content, gameplay including gunplay it's a 10 for me.

Sweet. Personally found the gameplay a bit basic, kind of clunky at times. But the many different classes and builds you can do shakes things up nicely. Also don't like having to google what things do because of bad or non-existent explanations. "More dmg if you have a big weapon". Ok. What's a "big" weapon? Huge ass sword? Big machine gun? Like.. why not just write the rest of the needed information? It had some other things I found subpar or annoying, but overall, good game. 4-6/10 is definitely too low. Will stay tuned for more games from these devs.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Last_Lap

@Litchie said:
@last_lap said:
@Litchie said:

Sweet. Personally found the gameplay a bit basic, kind of clunky at times. But the many different classes and builds you can do shakes things up nicely. Also don't like having to google what things do because of bad or non-existent explanations. "More dmg if you have a big weapon". Ok. What's a "big" weapon? Huge ass sword? Big machine gun? Like.. why not just write the rest of the needed information? It had some other things I found subpar or annoying, but overall, good game. 4-6/10 is definitely too low. Will stay tuned for more games from these devs.

It's pretty self-explanatory when it comes to big weapons, any gun that fits into the main gun slot (rifles, machine/shotgun guns etc) is a big weapon, and any gun that fits into the second slot (pistols sub machine gun etc) is obviously a smaller weapon. All melee weapons are the same some just do more damage than others. Also rings/hearts/amulets explain what they do, so explanations are there.

I like that the game doesn't tell you too much and just let's you explore and figure things out on your own through experimentation.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16017 Posts
@above_average said:
@Chutebox said:

Underrated

1. Final Fantasy XVI

2. Sea of Stars

3. Diablo IV

Overrated

1. Octopath Traveler II

3. Wandering Sword

After discovering the Atelier series on PS5 especially the DX versions (not the underwhelming Ryza saga other than pt2.) ,a series that actually goes back to what, PS2?, I've gotten all my turn based cravings fulfilled by these games made 10, 15, 20 years ago?

DQ spin off is overrated. most have either shit gameplay or clones of more popular series. Do give DQH 2 and DQ builders a try tho both really fun especially in DQ builder 2 online play. Still, clones of minecraft.

Do play the Atelier PS2 games and the Mana Khemia spin off. The PS2 games is far more traditional JRPG with the whole hero saving the world concept (and using alchemy as part of upgrading if I recall) while the Mana Khemia spin off focuses on school life. The Mana Khemia series used to be really well loved and kind of hidden gems that people always bring up alongside Radiata Stories. I honestly prefer the PS2 Atelier games over the HD counterparts.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Overrated...

Phony and Nintendont

Underrated...

MS.

lol :P

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By above_average
@clockworkbanana said:
@above_average said:
@Chutebox said:

Underrated

1. Final Fantasy XVI

2. Sea of Stars

3. Diablo IV

Overrated

1. Octopath Traveler II

3. Wandering Sword

NANI?

lmfao, have you played any Atelier games I mentioned in my post?

1. Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky

2. Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk

3. Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland

4. Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea

I love turn based RPGs and come thru the sea of filler titles to find the good ones but the latest Dragon Quest was just uh.

On top of being cookie cutter, the music in XI is the WORST most irritating battle music I've ever experienced I just wished I could mute it, but it's most glaring issue I had was gameplay...and maybe that's my biggest gripe. Just was not fun...or was that just the battle music making my ears bleed lol?

Why even ask something so silly as, "Have I played them"? To be fair, I haven't played all the older Dragon Quest titles but if they are anything like the latest title I experienced then yeah.

Gaming really has regressed over the years. Yes sir, I have tried Dragon Quest and I DESPERATELY wanted to enjoy but I stopped lying to myself about games I wanted to like after the PS3 era.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By above_average
@sakaixx said:
@above_average said:
@Chutebox said:

Underrated

1. Final Fantasy XVI

2. Sea of Stars

3. Diablo IV

Overrated

1. Octopath Traveler II

3. Wandering Sword

DQ spin off is overrated. most have either shit gameplay or clones of more popular series. Do give DQH 2 and DQ builders a try tho both really fun especially in DQ builder 2 online play. Still, clones of minecraft.

Do play the Atelier PS2 games and the Mana Khemia spin off. The PS2 games is far more traditional JRPG with the whole hero saving the world concept (and using alchemy as part of upgrading if I recall) while the Mana Khemia spin off focuses on school life. The Mana Khemia series used to be really well loved and kind of hidden gems that people always bring up alongside Radiata Stories. I honestly prefer the PS2 Atelier games over the HD counterparts.

Yes it's alchemy, ironically Dragon Quest is very similar in that aspect they just don't call it that.

The main issue is the story being EXTREMELY generic and the gameplay being well....ass lol.

Generally I don't like the NEWER Atelier titles however If I was to compare Atelier Ryza *2* (specifically 2 the others were HORRIBLE) to Dragon Quest XI. The GAMEPLAY in Ryza 2 was damn near flawless(and the game overall was great as well), where as DQXI had me scratching my head wondering how the hell anyone spent more than 10 hrs playing that mess.

I'd love to go back and retry DQXI...but I just can't get past the horrible battle music that plays every time you enter combat.

Music is also an area where Atelier titles simply EXCELS compared to DQ, or most games in general to be honest.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 madsnakehhh

@texasgoldrush said:
@madsnakehhh said:

That does not make it one of the years best games or better than a game that players see as a masterpiece.

Yeah ... masterpiece? definitely no, one of the best game of the year ? probably ? again there is nothing wrong with that statement, is not like the game is bad, is just very safe but with some amazing art and amazing music. I can see why some people liked it that much, wouldn't put it on my personal list, but i'm actually glad that i played it.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 texasgoldrush

@madsnakehhh said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@madsnakehhh said:

Yeah ... masterpiece? definitely no, one of the best game of the year ? probably ? again there is nothing wrong with that statement, is not like the game is bad, is just very safe but with some amazing art and amazing music. I can see why some people liked it that much, wouldn't put it on my personal list, but i'm actually glad that i played it.

Its Overwhelmingly Positive with 95% on Steam, pretty high for a SquareEnix title. Its higher than Sea of Stars 88%

Its not some people, its the vast majority of people who played OT2 love the game. I have even heard people not liking the first, like the second.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22414 Posts

Don't know about underrated, but three games that deserved more attention are Bayonetta Origins, Dredge & Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. Great games.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 693 Posts

@texasgoldrush: You do realise that for both games that vast majority of players for either game enjoyed it.

If we are being honest Octopath Traveller 2 is under rated whilst Seas of Stars is correctly rated.

I do not get why you cannot just praise OT2 without feeling you have to trash SoS. Played a bit of both and they are both good games in different ways.

The real clunkers this are Starfield and Spiderman 2 for delivering nothing new. And despite liking the series, Persona 5 Tactics is just milking the series with a dumbed-down turn-based tactics game. SoS and OT2 are better than all three of these games.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2965 Posts

Most underrated: Starfield.

Most overrated: Sea of Stars. I know many of you guys love the game. I found the combat too simplistic, and the story couldn't keep my interest.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#35 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70390 Posts
@jcafcwbb said:

I do not get why you cannot just praise OT2 without feeling you have to trash SoS.

The real clunkers this are Starfield and Spiderman 2 for delivering nothing new.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 texasgoldrush

@jcafcwbb said:

@texasgoldrush: You do realise that for both games that vast majority of players for either game enjoyed it.

If we are being honest Octopath Traveller 2 is under rated whilst Seas of Stars is correctly rated.

I do not get why you cannot just praise OT2 without feeling you have to trash SoS. Played a bit of both and they are both good games in different ways.

The real clunkers this are Starfield and Spiderman 2 for delivering nothing new. And despite liking the series, Persona 5 Tactics is just milking the series with a dumbed-down turn-based tactics game. SoS and OT2 are better than all three of these games.

Sea of Stars has some poor writing and storytelling and a way to simplistic combat system.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 693 Posts

@texasgoldrush: I think they tried to update it. If you time it right you get a double hit or you can lessen damage. Like other turn-based games they have tried to add to the formula.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 777 Posts

Overrated: Sea of Stars

Underrated: Hero's Adventure: Road to Passion

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By madsnakehhh

@texasgoldrush said:
@madsnakehhh said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@madsnakehhh said:

Its Overwhelmingly Positive with 95% on Steam, pretty high for a SquareEnix title. Its higher than Sea of Stars 88%

Its not some people, its the vast majority of people who played OT2 love the game. I have even heard people not liking the first, like the second.

Great, i didn't sat that OT2 was anything but extraordinary, glad to had this 2 great JRPGs this last year.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 madsnakehhh

@jcafcwbb said:

This is the correct answer to this pointless debate about OT2 and Sea of Stars.

Xavigaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Xavigaming
Member since 2023 • 14 Posts

I'll base this on the Metascore

Overrated: Spider-Man 2

Underrated: Lies of P

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Overrated: Zelda TOTK, Super Mario Maker, Alan Wake 2

Underrated: Lords of the Fallen, Lies of P, Robocop

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@Litchie said:

Overrated:

Resident Evil 4 Remake

Dead Space Remake

Hogwart's Legacy

Spider-Man 2

Alan Wake 2

Diablo 4

Starfield

Underrated:

Edit: I'll include Super Mario Bros. Wonder in overrated. It's good, but not that good.

Exactly how is Starfield "overrated" when GS scored it a 7/10? Are you saying you think it should be a 5/10?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Litchie

@dabear said:

Exactly how is Starfield "overrated" when GS scored it a 7/10? Are you saying you think it should be a 5/10?

I take into account more stuff than just GameSpot. I think Starfield has received more praise and sales than it deserves, thus find it overrated. Were I to play it, I think I'd give it a 6/10. So even if I'd only take GameSpot into account, it'd still be overrated.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@Litchie said:
@dabear said:

I take into account more stuff than just GameSpot. I think Starfield has received more praise and sales than it deserves, thus find it overrated. Were I to play it, I think I'd give it a 6/10. So even if I'd only take GameSpot into account, it'd still be overrated.

A 6/10... really. Starfield is in the same class as Gun Grave, Pay Day 3, or Aliens: dark Descent?

Ok, bro. Sure.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10544 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

Overrated: Zelda TOTK, Super Mario Maker, Alan Wake 2

Underrated: Lords of the Fallen, Lies of P, Robocop

can you elaborate a bit? i'm desperate to hear some positivity about it, had really high hopes for it

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts

Overrated:

Hogwart's Legacy

Spider-Man 2

Diablo 4

Starfield

Underrated:

Star Ocean SS R

Blasphemous 2

Remnant 2

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3502 Posts

I'm playing through BG3 and imo it's overrated.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

I'm playing through BG3 and imo it's overrated.

You have such incredibly poor taste, bro.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3502 Posts

@hardwenzen: To be fair, I only have 30 hours of gameplay and most of it has been idle watching Starfield videos.