R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46479 Posts

Well 2023 has certainly been a fantastic year when it comes to awful games.

• The Last Hope - the shameless The Last of Us rip off that is so broken that you can't possibly have enough stamina in your stamina pool to beat all the enemies
  • Kong: Skull Island - gamemill's King Kong lincensed game with awful button mashing gameplay
  • Gollum - Daedalic's Gollum lincenced game that was overly ambitious and under delivered
  • Walking Dead Destinies - gamemill's Walking Dead lincensed game where you can't possibly hide in smoke but you do
  • Redfall - game could've been truly something with Arkane at the helm but the game seems like it was thrown under the bus by Bethesda
  • Daily asset flips releasing on Steam
  • Those awful, truly despicable NFT games where you are dropped into an empty asset flipped map and you can buy a house or a plot of land for $30.000 with crypto. It also features a ton of grindy mini game so you can earn more in game (read: worthless) cash.

Tell us about your experience playing, reading, hearing about 2023's most awful.

No troll awards. No Starfield or Diablo IV, we need truly awful games that scored 5s or lower across the board (so Modern Warfare 3 is allowed (also I hate Activision, seriously they are barely superior to Gamemill so it's allowed)).

I've only played Redfall and Gollum and out of those I would pick Gollum as my favourite WORST game of 2023. I actually had some fun with it and just laughed away or blocked out all the bad I guess.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8313 Posts

Gollum

The Agony of this generation

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 R4gn4r0k

@sargentd said:

Gollum

The Agony of this generation

Aw man, I liked that game :(

But yeah those gollum facial animations were truly something 😋

Game was also overhyped, got postponed several times and never amounted to their original promises/vision.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56255 Posts

King Kong 2023 game really takes the crown and I would rather play Gollum than King Kong. Worst game of 2023 for sure!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

@davillain said:

King Kong 2023 game really takes the crown and I would rather play Gollum than King Kong. Worst game of 2023 for sure!

Yeah King Kong was truly on a whole other level. I didn't really understand the hate at first, but the draw distance cuts off at PS1 levels, the level dressing feels like those parts of levels in other games that are out of bound and the combat is literally mashing three buttons.

Gollum at least tried to be a good game... and failed hard. But the intention was there.

Be sure to check out that Gmanlives video.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6344 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@davillain said:

Yeah King Kong was truly on a whole other level. I didn't really understand the hate at first, but the draw distance cuts off at PS1 levels, the level dressing feels like those parts of levels in other games that are out of bound and the combat is literally mashing three buttons.

Gollum at least tried to be a good game... and failed hard. But the intention was there.

Be sure to check out that Gmanlives video.

After reading this, you might wanna cut King Kong just a little bit of slack.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By R4gn4r0k
@last_lap said:

I think the first paragraph of Eurogamer's Modern Warfare 3 review also adds to the same feeling:

It's not the hard working people at the bottom that are at fault here. It's the publishers and managers at the top that feel pushing out this product is fine and asking money for it is okay.

Way better games have been cancelled. And yet Kong is being sold for 50 + additional skin packs.

Walking dead is being sold for 50, etc.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Saint-George  Online
Member since 2023 • 1319 Posts

Timed PlayStation console exclusive Quantum error!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k

@saint-george said:

Ouch, the worst game where you play as a firefighter since Resistance Burning Skies.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Saint-George  Online

@R4gn4r0k said:
@saint-george said:

Ouch, the worst game where you play as a firefighter since Resistance Burning Skies.

That's the one,but cows don't like being reminded Sony spent millions on Quantum error and Forspoken for a few months exclusivity.luckily i remember and can remind them 👍

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k

@saint-george said:

That's the one,but cows don't like being reminded Sony spent millions on Quantum error and Forspoken for a few months exclusivity.luckily i remember and can remind them 👍

I'm still not sure if I want to play Forspoken or not. It looks horribly outdated on PS5 - nothing like that original reveal trailer - it does look slightly better on PC. But I'm not sure I can stomach the gameplay and endless inane dialogue.

I know one thing though: I'd much rather play Final Fantasy 16 and the VII Remake Rebirth.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Saint-George  Online
@R4gn4r0k said:
@saint-george said:

I'm still not sure if I want to play Forspoken or not. It looks horribly outdated on PS5 - nothing like that original reveal trailer - it does look slightly better on PC. But I'm not sure I can stomach the gameplay and endless inane dialogue.

I know one thing though: I'd much rather play Final Fantasy 16 and the VII Remake Rebirth.

laughing at cows aside,i never judge a game by review scores,if a trailer sparks my interest i'll check it out,Forspoken didn't do nothing for me,returnal the same but days gone was good imo But spoiled by 30 hours of cut scenes,HFW has several very long dialog sections that spoil the Game a bit for me

I have played one FF game,it may have been 14 a few years ago through gamepass,i uninstalled it.

Saying that i haven't tried Diablo 4,BG3,elden ring,Monster hunter either nothing screams try me...different tastes and all that jazz 👍

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

Gollum is the worst I didn't even expect a masterpiece just an enjoyable time it was horrible in every way.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44174 Posts

The only game BS Jive has. ;o

The Sales game, what a bore. lol :P

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13041 Posts

The Last of Us Part 1 for PC. The dumpster fire of all dumpster fires 😳

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k

@saint-george: It's black friday currently, you should try and score Final fantasy VII remake for cheap somewhere, I think you're gonna have a blast! It comes with the free upgrade for PS5.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1046 Posts

Gotta go with Redfall. They’ve fixed it up quite a bit since launch. At launch I played it for 2 hours, absolute trash. Came back later after updates and beat it, really enjoyed it. They were able to do what couldn’t be done with Forspoken, turn a turd into a great game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k

@nnoyinghusband said:

Gotta go with Redfall. They’ve fixed it up quite a bit since launch. At launch I played it for 2 hours, absolute trash. Came back later after updates and beat it, really enjoyed it. They were able to do what couldn’t be done with Forspoken, turn a turd into a great game.

How's the second part of that game? In fact how is the end boss nowadays?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39297 Posts

Games like Gollum don't deserve to be compared to AA/AAA titles, so if we're talking about games that could've been great, there's no bigger failures for this whole generation than the 4/10 Redfall. Miserable video game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k

@hardwenzen said:

Games like Gollum don't deserve to be compared to AA/AAA titles, so if we're talking about games that could've been great, there's no bigger failures for this whole generation than the 4/10 Redfall. Miserable video game.

Both Gollum and Redfall surprised me a ton.

I thought Gollum could've been great. The stealth, platforming, even the cinematic talking secions could've taken cues from better game. It was pretty miserable.

Redfall was an abomination and one made because Bethesda dictated the creation of a game that didn't fit the developers portfolio.

Kinda like how Ubisoft is dictating their singleplayer focussed studios to poop out a online live service hit.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Now I'm going to have to play Gollum

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9874 Posts

It probably is Gollum, but I haven't played it. But I remember watching skill-ups review and it was hilarious 😅. That bird breeding mini-game 😂

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k

@Heil68 said:

Now I'm going to have to play Gollum

Drop all other games and play this gem.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#25  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17838 Posts

@kvallyx said:

Launch was shit, but it is superior to the PS5 version after patches.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k

@BassMan said:
@kvallyx said:

Iron galaxy is often hated on but far from the worst developer/porter.

They have made the infamous Arkham Knight game for PC but they've also been responsible for a ton of other ports.

I played both Uncharted 4 and TLOU at launch on PC, or slightly after launch and both were very playable.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

Probably Redfall. I haven't beat the game, but from what I played, it doesn't deserve a 4. Maybe it is because I am just playing it after the patches, but I am not hating the game. It is no masterpiece, but it is a decent game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69943 Posts

@iambatman7986: The patches didn't change the game. The hate for the game is just that. You are correct that it is decent, nothing more or less.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13041 Posts

@BassMan said:
@kvallyx said:

Sounds like most games. Still a dumpster fire and rated as such at Metacritic.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k

@krystalharper said:

The Lord of the Rings:Gollum,released in September 2023,is widely considered to be the worst game of the year.It received a Metascore of 34,and critics slammed it for its poor gameplay,uninspired graphics,and lackluster story.The game's negative reception led to the closure of its developer,Daedalic Entertainment.

You forgot a link to your sketchy website where you sell organs or some ****

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

@iambatman7986 said:

Probably Redfall. I haven't beat the game, but from what I played, it doesn't deserve a 4. Maybe it is because I am just playing it after the patches, but I am not hating the game. It is no masterpiece, but it is a decent game.

Map is kinda empty and bland, in that there is nothing to do in between missions.

It feels like it needed to have vehicles but those were dropped or something along those lines.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@last_lap said:

I think the first paragraph of Eurogamer's Modern Warfare 3 review also adds to the same feeling:

It's not the hard working people at the bottom that are at fault here. It's the publishers and managers at the top that feel pushing out this product is fine and asking money for it is okay.

Way better games have been cancelled. And yet Kong is being sold for 50 + additional skin packs.

Walking dead is being sold for 50, etc.

I wonder if the 10 year PlayStation deal had something to do with it. This is what I was thinking. They can't just not release a CoD game now without MS getting into some trouble or making it look like they did it on purpose.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts
@kvallyx said:
@BassMan said:
@kvallyx said:

Sounds like most games. Still a dumpster fire and rated as such at Metacritic.

Sad state of gaming. And most games will look bad now in reviews and DF, because the game is either missing content, broken in some ways or needs performance fixes.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k

@HalcyonScarlet said:

I wonder if the 10 year PlayStation deal had something to do with it. This is what I was thinking. They can't just not release a CoD game now without MS getting into some trouble or making it look like they did it on purpose.

I think it all comes down to the inner workings of Activision:

When it comes to the dev side of things, there's a few facts we know.

• Development time was halved at least (from 3 years down to a year and a half)
  • Much of the content was recycled from previous games
  • COD may have gotten too big for its own good (singleplayer campaign, various coop modes, zombies, online, incl. various new modes over the year [Kill confirmed, war mode] along with the new warzone [of which there are two versions])
  • Was supposed to be a DLC to MW2
  • Price and scale got increased along the way

But that is just the daily nitty and gritty that the people at the bottom have to deal with, it gets more interesting when we get to the publisher side of things.

I think Activision wanted to keep its stock price high and since they only have COD and COD alone, they wanted to make a full priced game this year. As to not lose face or some silly corporate stuff like that.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#37 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 362 Posts

Probably doesn't count as it's still in early access, but if you haven't already, you should give Selene's Unbearable Night a look. Gman also has a video on it. It's janky af, but I also kinda like it. It's got a certain charm to it and the AI voice acting is funny.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k

@pixievalerie said:

Probably doesn't count as it's still in early access, but if you haven't already, you should give Selene's Unbearable Night a look. Gman also has a video on it. It's janky af, but I also kinda like it. It's got a certain charm to it and the AI voice acting is funny.

Gman doesn't review a ton of bad games but when he does it's usually hilarious, like those weird dating sims where everyone looks like a anime character. Thanks for the recommendation!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59115 Posts

@davillain said:

Didn't even know there was a King Kong game released.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:
@davillain said:

Didn't even know there was a King Kong game released.

It's not as good as the Peter Jackson movie tie-in game

If you can believe that

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#41  Edited By pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 362 Posts

@R4gn4r0k:

Oh no problem! The video was pretty entertaining, and made me want to check it out for myself. It's on sale right now too. It's very much inspired by Resident Evil but it also feels like there's some Tomb Raider thrown in there.

Loading Video...

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

the walkind dead destines redfall forspoken gollum

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Best worst game? Has to be Starfield.

I spent over 50 hours in that!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@Mozelleple112 said:

Best worst game? Has to be Starfield.

I spent over 50 hours in that!

Well that's the sign of a good bad game then :)

I'm 80 hours in so far and definitely still enjoying my time. Have you done the Ryujin quest line? Definitely don't quit the game before finishing that.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 1120 Posts

Fortnite I guess? I don't know if it's bad, but it's dumb and fun at the same time and people here doodoo all over it.

I'm picky about what I play because there are so many games that it's difficult to even choose from the good ones. I've only been playing what I know I will like, and also going into my backlog and clearing out games from that too. It's crazy but I feel like I don't remember the last bad game I played at this point...

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16572 Posts

@iambatman7986 said:

yeah, its wierd because I'm also playing the game and I don't see how its a 4. I'd give it a 6 or even a 7. Nothing ground breaking, but decent overall. It might be the patches, who knows.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 R4gn4r0k

@girlusocrazy said:

Fortnite I guess? I don't know if it's bad, but it's dumb and fun at the same time and people here doodoo all over it.

I'm picky about what I play because there are so many games that it's difficult to even choose from the good ones. I've only been playing what I know I will like, and also going into my backlog and clearing out games from that too. It's crazy but I feel like I don't remember the last bad game I played at this point...

Yeah good pick, I wouldn't consider fortnite or PUBG bad games, but I do know they are not for me.

I dropped into a game of PUBG once and its map felt like asset flipped and the gameplay was so not for me.

As for Fortnite, all I've played is that Alan Wake tie in and after that I uninstalled it, but I know some people that are really having a blast playing it.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I'm 99% sure I never finished a single storyline, I started a little bit of everything, doing a few quests from literally every storyline in the game hah.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11179 Posts

Every other clip I've seen from Walking Dead: Destinies is a complete howler, so it's got to be that

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Saint-George  Online

PlayStation timed exclusive quantum error!