dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts

A completionist is someone who insists on finding every hidden item, going through every labyrinth/dungeon/shrine and doing all of the side-quests in a game. I personally am not one; what about you guys?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts

Not at all. I just like beating the game without collecting or doing every little thing. I guess you could say I'm a minimalist.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1137 Posts

This can often ruin games for me. There are only a few games where I would actually want to 100% everything and keep playing. Usually I have to finish it first and then if I still feel like I want more, which is a great feeling, then I will do everything. There are a few games where I did 100% them and then started new games just to 100% them again.

As a rule I don't insist on it or get OCD about it, I try and temper that if the feeling creeps up on me, because it can turn fun into a chore.

It's ok. Having more than you want to do in a game is good, it means you can choose the best parts suited to you, and others can do the same for their tastes.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

I play games mostly for fun. I just complete the main story and drop the controller.

Aiming for 💯 percent completion feels like a chore to me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

No, in fact I don't finish most of my games. I need to change that. Been working on just focusing on main story for the games I need to finish and it seems to be working fairly well. Yes, I'll miss out on a lot of great content if I don't do side quests and such, but it's better to finish than game in a direct fashion than to wander about and not finish at all.

Still, I enjoy both methods well enough I don't have any regrets.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts
@danishanwar said:

I play games mostly for fun. I just complete the game and drop the controller.

Aiming for 💯 percent completion feels like a chore to me.

Yeah all my favorite games tend to be sandbox in nature, without an actual end to them.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts

It depends on the game. Many I will discard early on when I realize I won't love it. Most I usually stop playing after beating it; some if I love it I push further, and depending on how engaging I find it I can sometimes get into a fervor of just getting every last morsel. Like The Witness was a game I wasn't expecting to want to 100% but even the environmental puzzles I had to get every last one because that game just rocked my core so deeply with its quality.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4252 Posts

No. But if there are achievements available, I love getting some. Whether by chance or working for it.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 706 Posts

I find completionist runs very tedious. They also need a ton of free time which I wish I had but I don't.

I usually just finish games once and only rarely will finish all side quests. I never bother with finding all items, it seems overwhelming.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10  Edited By GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

Aside from games such as the first three Harry Potter games, where it is quite easy to do everything, the only time that I actually completed everything was Arkham Asylum, because due to its semi-open world, which is not that big, an metroidvania nature, where you go back to previous areas with better tech, it was quite easy to get all the Riddler trophies and scan all the Riddler puzzles etc.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

Get 100% on my favorite games. So any game I have given the highest of praise for, I have beaten multiple times, will revisit for the sheer joy, and beaten every challenge the game has to offer, maybe more than a dozen times. In the case of multiplayer games I've swung as can physically-go and had those kind of matches for hours on end, enjoying the experience fondly. With again the aim to revisit and have a good time.

I play games mostly for fun.

Those that view this as "you're not having fun" don't understand the subjective concept of fun. Throwing self-ideology as the be-all-to-end-all.

Not everyone likes a challenge and that's ok.

Personally one of the things I enjoy most about gaming is playing with the system mechanics, the limits for how far they go, and what can I experiment with in the games rules and functions. This is never explored or demanded in easier settings for people who solely play for presentational flair; in fact many easier games hand-hold the player like a child at a theme-park. Giving the player less control, as they don't trust your casual actions to get far in the game. To me that is less fun, and can feel very condescending to the player.

Fun is very subjective. Some want the meat-and-bones gameplay, some want the general presentation. Neither is wrong.

Though, going back to the "are you a completionist?"

overall no. Never was.

If a game is struggling to hold my attention I probably won't even get to the half-way point before uninstalling it, if even that. And usually this is factored by general input control, gameplay depth, level design, and pacing. If it's not up to my standards I don't want to play it.

Simply put. I have particular standards that favor enjoying good gameplay and giving me time to enjoy stated gameplay.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17850 Posts

Not really no. I have no interest in achievements/trophies and just tend to complete as much as i want before moving on.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

Depends on the game but I do like finding every crum of hidden items though. If I have enough time on my hands, I'll gladly find hidden junk.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

No I get my milage off of self imposed challenge

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

It depends on game tbh. I do go out of my way to complete everything if its easy enough even if its mindnumbingly shit task like collectibles in Ass Creed games. But if game really goes out of its way to hide secrets like those unlockable Kingdom Hearts series secret movies where u gotta either play on hard mode or 100% everything on normal then I wont.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 514 Posts

When I was younger and had more time I was but not so much anymore. If I get 60% out of a game I'm fine with it, especially when the other 40% is collection crap that's simply a time sponge. My completionist self died during the N64 days, when every Rare game was a collect-a-thon from hell. Collecting 100 Stars/honeycombs/bannanas as the main objective for a game killed it for me.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

Nope. The only game i have done everything on was gran turismo 4 but any other game would be hard too hard.

Without cheating how do people find like all the hidden packages in gta or something.