Did you enjoy playing Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes? (GC)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
I hear we have some divided opinion over this so what are your memories?
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
I've never been a huge fan of Metal Gear. I thought Twin Snakes was a good game, just not my kind of game. I ended up trading my friend Twin Snakes for Paper Mario:TYD.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I actually enjoyed it. But of course the experience wasn't as memorable as playing it on the PS1 for the first time. I also died more on the PS1 version.

I think it's great for first-timers who never played MGS1 before. But for veterans, I think it's worth checking out just to see the extra stuff, differences, and the cleaner graphics. I know a lot complained about it, but I don't think it was bad. And no matter what anyone says, it is still a must-have game for the Gamecube since the GC has such a limited library in the first place.

But my biggest complaint is not the game itself but those horrendous, Matrix-esque, Kung-fu Hustle type, cut-scenes! I personally thought those were ridiculous, unneccessary, and cheeseball. What, a bomb is thrown at Snake and Snake does a tornado spin-kick in the air and deflects the bomb with his boot right into a tank nozzle blowing up the tank? Just as ridiculous as I described, even more so.

Snake isn't Neo, even though he's the One to many stealth fans.

P-r-e-y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 P-r-e-y
Member since 2007 • 124 Posts
I did enjoy playing MGS: TS, however the PS1 version had alot more feeling and gave an overall better display Metal Gear Solid: Twin Sankes 8.1 Metal Gear: Solid 9.6
KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts

Everyone sounds as though they're guilty for enjoying it????

Twin Snakes was awesome I remember seein the old PS1 version and it just looks dated now, I'm no graphics junkie by any means but the GC version was just superior, same goes for RE and REmake.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

I did enjoy playing MGS: TS, however the PS1 version had alot more feeling and gave an overall better display Metal Gear Solid: Twin Sankes 8.1 Metal Gear: Solid 9.6P-r-e-y

Amen to that.IMO Twin Snakes were great,even if it didn´t had the whole,awesome atmosphere that the original had,it was pretty much fun watching the re-directed and really awesome cuscenes.If you get it cheap,buy it.I´m still a bit complainig about the controls,but I think you can live with it.

KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Sankes 8.1 Metal Gear: Solid 9.6P-r-e-y

Yeah bearing in mind these scores are based on the fact that the PS1 version was completely brand new hence such a high score. TS is a just an airbrushed version so there's nothing that makes reviewers sit and say" holy flurking schnitt" that's cool, cos' it's all been done before.

But depends how much a hardcore gamer you are a lot of them prefer the originals, which is understandable.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
Not really.  The gameplay (most notably, the possibility of aiming in first person with the pistol) didn't mesh well with the level design/bosses (Revolver Ocelot didn't even rise to the level of pushover due to the new control scheme).  On a side note, the over the top cinemas worked well for Dante in DMC3 (same director), but they were a poor fit for Snake.
marty_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 marty_81
Member since 2003 • 2823 Posts
I enjoyed it. The first person shooting made Ocelot really easy as well as psycho mantis but most of the other bosses weren't greatly affected. I think it improved raven's tank battle considerably though since I thought the original battle was hampered by making it next to impossible to throw a grenade on the tank.
Avatar image for banjobear_basic
banjobear_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 banjobear_basic
Member since 2002 • 2643 Posts

I did enjoy playing MGS: TS, however the PS1 version had alot more feeling and gave an overall better display Metal Gear Solid: Twin Sankes 8.1 Metal Gear: Solid 9.6P-r-e-y

no. the original ps1 version got a 8.5 while its far crappier sequel mgs2 got the 9.6. The sequel left such a bad taste that most people didn't even pick up the third one.  

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Don't like stealth games that much, so I skipped this one, being a remake of a game I'd already played.
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
Personally, I loved every second of it.  :D
TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13 TonicBH
Member since 2004 • 720 Posts

There's only two reasons purists of MGS hate Twin Snakes: "It's too easy" and "Snake backflipping off a missile."

I had not played the original PlayStation MGS, so Twin Snakes was good enough. And I thought it was a great remake. And in terms of the cutscenes: Weren't there a bevy of similar over-the-top scenes in MGS2 and MGS3? I just don't understand the hatred.

joyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 joyer
Member since 2003 • 979 Posts

There's only two reasons purists of MGS hate Twin Snakes: "It's too easy" and "Snake backflipping off a missile."

I had not played the original PlayStation MGS, so Twin Snakes was good enough. And I thought it was a great remake. And in terms of the cutscenes: Weren't there a bevy of similar over-the-top scenes in MGS2 and MGS3? I just don't understand the hatred.

TonicBH

lol ive just borrowed it off a friend.... i found the bit where he got hit by a tank shell a bit hard to swallow but the back flip off the missile was funny

really all the remade dialogue which was apparently serious once, coupled with the rubbish, in my opinion, cinematics... made me gag

it honestly made the whole thing unbelieveable to me and makes me question how much i really liked it when i was playing the original (on the pc)... but i liked the overall story and setting and objectives really 

joyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 joyer
Member since 2003 • 979 Posts

ohand im one of those people who think the controls are garbage... not as bad as resident evil 1 and 2, but to me the atmosphere made up for that... with the silly cinematics... it sortve took away my suspension of disbelief sadly

on an upside im gonna buy a cutprice ps2 to play all the games i havent played or are not the sortve games my friends play/ or one player games... mgs games being in the games my friends dont play category

can people tell me how things improve in mgs2 and mgs3? i remember one old friend couldnt stop talking about how awesome the mgs2 demo was.... and then never talking about the proper game, saying he enjoyed the demo more... apparently the cinematics ruined it for alot of people but then there are some who liked it more than 3... which seems to be the majority prefered of the series? all i know is that the controls are about the same? i remember two of the egm guys arguing about the controls staying the same hindered the online play of 3 vs. the controls work fine... any brief points about these games would be appreciated

niptuckSean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 niptuckSean
Member since 2006 • 2434 Posts
I loved the third game, but I had a miserable time playing this.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Not really. The controls were beyond awful (I know I won't get a lot of agreement here), the experience was really counterintuitive and at times overly complicated. I resigned myself to simply watching someone else to play which was actually far more entertaining.

Having played the PS1 version of the game years after it was released (after AFTER I played TTS) I am going to have to agree with many others that the PS1 version was better, simply because it played better.

As for the over the top cinemas...I don't think anyone who calls themselves an MGS fan is in a position to complain about that, do you? :P

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

ohand im one of those people who think the controls are garbage... not as bad as resident evil 1 and 2, but to me the atmosphere made up for that... with the silly cinematics... it sortve took away my suspension of disbelief sadly

on an upside im gonna buy a cutprice ps2 to play all the games i havent played or are not the sortve games my friends play/ or one player games... mgs games being in the games my friends dont play category

can people tell me how things improve in mgs2 and mgs3? i remember one old friend couldnt stop talking about how awesome the mgs2 demo was.... and then never talking about the proper game, saying he enjoyed the demo more... apparently the cinematics ruined it for alot of people but then there are some who liked it more than 3... which seems to be the majority prefered of the series? all i know is that the controls are about the same? i remember two of the egm guys arguing about the controls staying the same hindered the online play of 3 vs. the controls work fine... any brief points about these games would be appreciated

joyer

2's controls are a bit better than TTS since the PS2 controller has more buttons to spread it out (tbh I think MGS controls are worse than RE, RE only has directional issues, MGS has logic issues). 3's are flat out terrible, the developers simply kept piling on functions well after they had run out of buttons (moreover many of those functions should've been condensed with context sensitivty and some should've had different logic altogther). I'll shut up now cos otherwise I'll end up writing an essay on it.

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts

Its nothing compared to the original on PS1. But it does give newcomers to a series a good place to start I suppose.

Personally I thought it was okay. Nothing to write home about. 

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

I actually enjoyed it quite thorougly, and yes, I played the heck out of MGS on PS1. The problem was that first-person aiming, rolling, and 60 frames per second are so engrained in my mind that it's nigh impossible for me to play the original. Some of the music was better in the original, and it put together a bit better (the Ocelot fight comes up a lot; SK messed it up by not changing his AI to compensate for the first person aiming), but everything else just makes the original hard to play for me.

It's a clas$ic no doubt, but the difference between some game series and Metal Gear Solid is that Solid 2 added so much to the gameplay that even before TS came out, I was having severe trouble playing the original. Even against Liquid, after I'd been playing it for a while, I'd still try to roll only to find myself laying down before him. :? And yes, the cutscenes are over the top, but quite honestly, I don't care. They're entertaining.

The only things about the game that they needed to change were the Ocelot fight to compensate for the new aiming system, and they either should have redesigned the levels to give you more of a chance to use hanging and other MGS2 moves (like they did in Metal Gear's hangar), or added new places altogether (this I feel like was a missed opportunity). MGS3 is still my favorite game in the series, but I'll still take Twin Snakes over Sons of Liberty any day. 

teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts
I'm getting it soon to play it on my Wii and I think I'm going to like it.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gaminggeek

I played the original PS1 version and then bought Twin Snakes a few years later. I really enjoyed it, not only the better presentation but the new mechanics from MGS2 intergration. At first I found the controls too complex but I soon settled into it.

I cannot really understand the people who hold the PS1 version as superior unless it's the feeling that the game gave you at the time you are talking about and not the actual game. I find Twin Snakes to be by far the superior version, I wish the graphics were better though, SK Knights were never too good with this on their two GC titles.

I enjoyed the cutscenes alot too. Perversely I could never get into MGS2 as it seemed to be rambling on and never hooked me in. It sits on my shelf even today, I would sell it, but I'm not desperate for a couple of pennies on ebay.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I played the original PS1 version and then bought Twin Snakes a few years later. I really enjoyed it, not only the better presentation but the new mechanics from MGS2 intergration. At first I found the controls too complex but I soon settled into it.

I cannot really understand the people who hold the PS1 version as superior unless it's the feeling that the game gave you at the time you are talking about and not the actual game. I find Twin Snakes to be by far the superior version, I wish the graphics were better though, SK Knights were never too good with this on their two GC titles.

I enjoyed the cutscenes alot too. Perversely I could never get into MGS2 as it seemed to be rambling on and never hooked me in. It sits on my shelf even today, I would sell it, but I'm not desperate for a couple of pennies on ebay.

gaminggeek

Yeah, MGS2's story and main characters (including the hero, Otacon's sister and the villians) weren't nearly as as gripping as those of MGS1.  The drab level design wasn't all that it could have been either (the first hour, which happened to be the demo, contained a lot more interactive elements than the rest of the game). MGS3 indicates that Kojima listened to criticism about 2 though.

ShadowFFVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 ShadowFFVI
Member since 2004 • 378 Posts
Still far and away my favorite Gamecube game, I don't care what anyone says, I just really liked playing the remake with the updated graphics. Sure its not quite the same as the original, but that doesn't matter to me.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts
I never got to play the original (I will one of these days), but I really liked MGS TTS. Gripping story, cool boss fights; some of the cinematics were over the top but I didn't mind unlike (DMC3). Aiming was a pain in the .... with that controller, but I found everything else to be an engaging game.
MasonHarry22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26 MasonHarry22
Member since 2005 • 753 Posts
actually Metal Gear Solid the Twin Snakes is the ONLY Gamecube game I own right now. I still have the original and play through it about twice a year on PS2 and played through my friends copy of the PSone version at least 3 times the same week it was released back in the day. I like both the PSone original and GC remake equally they both have their advantages and small negatives. The PSone original + the best musical score/actually DIRECTED by KOJIMA himself/ better voice acting even though 90% of the original cast came back for the twin snakes. the Gamecube remake + better graphics = the way I always envisioned the game should have looked like/ better cutscenes (sure some MGS purists say they are too flamboyant but I luved the cutscenes in the twin snakes) BUT the one BIG NEGATIVE for the Twin Snakes is that is it far too easy a game for any real hardcore Metal Gear fans since the original wasnt designed for use with a first person perspective.
Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts
I never played the original Metal Gear Solid for PS1, so I bought The Twin Snakes to get my chance at the Metal Gear franchise.  I had seen someone play the original though, so I knew what it was about and the gameplay.  Overall, I thought it was a great game, but my perspective was from a newcomer to the franchise.  Good graphics, gameplay, and the presentation was really polished in my opinion.
Toaster_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Toaster_Cell
Member since 2006 • 3062 Posts
...yes?
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
I picked it up cheap and I don't regret it although I do prefer the original.  Being able to aim in first person didn't mean as much as I thought it would because the game was not really that changed other than that, and I find the alert system they pinched from SoL to be a pain in the prosterior.  I didn't really like the way they changed the cutscenes they were too over the top, classics should really be left alone or just slightly updated.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

It was a great game imo, but not as great of a remake as Resident Evil was, which isn't surprising considering RE had the actual RE team do it, and not an outside studio who were most likely limited in what they could change.

Resident Evil was just as impressive as the original game imo, thanks to all the extra's, surprises, and revamped (perfected) old school gameplay. Not to mention the most impressive pre-rendered graphics ever.

Twin Snakes on the other hand wasn't anywhere near as impressive as MGS was, since it didn't really add anything other than cutscenes, good but not great graphics (Kojima's version would have looked twice as good as SK's version), and the first-person mode that hurt the game as much as helped it. It wasn't as much of a true REMAKE as Resident Evil was.

Still though, I loved playing it and am sure I'll end up doing it again one of these days.

shoesfromhell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shoesfromhell
Member since 2005 • 195 Posts

TonicBH

Personally, I dig MGS:TTS.  The PS1 original was awesome, ground-breaking, etc., but TTS just simply looks, feels and, yes, even plays much better than it's predecessor.  And as far as the way over-the-top cut scenes go, anyone who's ever played through MGS2 should know that no matter how many wacky, Matrix-esque shenanigans SK threw into Twin Snakes, they pale in comparison to the completely incomprehensible (but still fun) storyline of Sons of Liberty.  Seriously, I don't where Kojima got his stash while he was writing that gem of a script, but it was a relief to see that he put away his pipe for Snake Eater.  

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gaminggeek

It was a great game imo, but not as great of a remake as Resident Evil was, which isn't surprising considering RE had the actual RE team do it, and not an outside studio who were most likely limited in what they could change.

Resident Evil was just as impressive as the original game imo, thanks to all the extra's, surprises, and revamped (perfected) old school gameplay. Not to mention the most impressive pre-rendered graphics ever.

Twin Snakes on the other hand wasn't anywhere near as impressive as MGS was, since it didn't really add anything other than cutscenes, good but not great graphics (Kojima's version would have looked twice as good as SK's version), and the first-person mode that hurt the game as much as helped it. It wasn't as much of a true REMAKE as Resident Evil was.

Still though, I loved playing it and am sure I'll end up doing it again one of these days.

EdgecrusherAza

Make a: Did you Enjoy playing REmake thread. No seriously I would like to put in my thoughts. Nice to go back and think about these old classics.

P-r-e-y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 P-r-e-y
Member since 2007 • 124 Posts
MGS: TS was a good game, but, I didn't enjoy it more then the original.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#35 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
Yes, but the controls sucked hard with the gamecube controller. Wasn't as crisp as it was on the PS1. I did appreciate the revamped graphics and gameplay techniques with the same excellent story though.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#36 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Basically, TS did some things better than MGS1, and some things worse: Better -Certain redone cutscenes, like the Ninja massacre -Graphics -re-recordings of certain characters, like Ninja and Liquid Snake -Newer cutscenes, like Ocelot when he tried to spin his gun left-handed -Improved gameplay...basically, it was MGS2 gameplay with MGS1's storyline. Worse -Addition of some cheesy moments, all of them involving Solid Snake. One was already mentioned--the missile flip, but what about his handling of the sniper rifle when he dealt the final blow to Sniper Wolf? I mean, was that necessary? Sniper Wolf must've been like "WTF are you dancing around for?" -Frame rate wasn't stable, despite the game looking much better -Naomi Hunter didn't sound as good as in the original. -Where did the VR training go? -Music wasn't as good as MGS1's. -The MGS2 gameplay made an already easy game easier.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

I hear we have some divided opinion over this so what are your memories?gaminggeek

The game was flat out terrible. The VA and added dialogue from that game provided for unintentional comedy. Silicon KNights needs to stick to demons and vampires and all that.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]I hear we have some divided opinion over this so what are your memories?MarcusAntonius

The game was flat out terrible. The VA and added dialogue from that game provided for unintentional comedy. Silicon KNights needs to stick to demons and vampires and all that.

Konami handled the voice acting, script, and dialogue. Silicon Knights handled the game engine and pretty much everything that involved player interaction.
trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts

I thought it was decent at the time of it's release, and inferior to the original for sure.   The graphics were a downgrade from MGS2, a game that was released sometime before TTS.  Many of the cinemas were transformed into hollywood stylized trash, it's hard to believe the same guy who did them went on to direct DMC3's.  In 1998 MGS's enviornments were breathtaking, in 2004 they felt clausterphobic.  Some new and/or expanded areas like the REMAKE and TR: Anniversary should have been put in.  The sound design was butchered in some areas.

So in the end, what did the game improve from the original?  Other than the average graphics and better enemy AI(which is pointless if the enviornments are limited), nothing at all.  So in that sense it's a complete failure, even Nintendo's Zelda OOT re-releases added more meaningful content. 

CanadianEh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CanadianEh
Member since 2002 • 7173 Posts

I never had a chance to play the original... In fact, I ended up playing MGS2 before Twin Snakes, but I was impressed by the game. It might've been a little easy and the cutscenes made me shake my head in frustration (minus any scene with Ninja), but it was a fun, well-made game.

And for the record, MGS3 is still the best in the series.

Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts

Yuck.

The gameplay... running away from soldiers isn't new or anything. Well, maybe it was back then, but I don't really expect the gameplay to be amazing in third-person games. So then the story... Well, I guess back then, I thought the game was cool. But now it's just cheesy. Yea, that snake doing the backflip and then cyborg ninja slicing a bullet in half with his katana... I mean MGS tries to spend a lot of time trying to be "real" with this history stuff and "stylish" with this cyborg ninja on a revenge stuff, but... I find it lame.

It also doesn't work when the game tries to get emotional.

I don't find anything about the series special at all, somewhat like Halo.

L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts
I never did like Metal Gear :(
Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
My only gripe with MGS: TT is that the first person aiming made the game a lot easier. Other than that I loved it.
Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hulabaloza
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts

I've played every 3D metal gear game, and haven't enjoyed one of them.   The gameplay is incredible overrated, the graphics are nothing special and the cutscenes are a nightmare.   The gameplay also hasn't really changed since the PS1...I'm not a fan of Splinter Cell, but it blows away MGS for both REALISTIC story, better graphics and better action (and online play).

Even if I'm not a big fan of the game, if it's a huge title, like Halo or Final Fantasy, I can usually understand why.   With MGS, I don't get it.   

overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 overfeind
Member since 2004 • 2984 Posts
I rather enjoyed MGS TTS, having never truly gotten the chance to play the PS1 version.  It remains in my (Wii)GC Library to this day.
KixDanis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KixDanis
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts
Like a lot of people are saying I enjoyed quite a bit but it just wasn't like when I played the PS1 version.