Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3112 Posts

My pointless musings:

-1080p60 standard graphics (no 4K, no HDR10, no Dolby Vision, no 120hz VRR, no HDMI 2.1)

-5.1 surround (no spatial audio such as Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and no expanded surround like 6.1 or 7.1)

-new Joy Cons will be marginally improved mostly via better battery life and better button placement.

-will require new accessories; current Joy Cons and Pro Controller will not be forward compatible.

-8” LCD screen (no OLED).

-current Switch games will be backward compatible but will not be patched for higher rez or higher framerate.

-Nintendo Online will increase to $50 per year.

-Switch 2 will be launched with the next 3D Mario game, or Mario Kart 9, or Super Smash Ultimate 2; Metroid Prime 4 or next gen Zelda will be launched a year later.

-standard price for Switch 2 games will increase to $70.

-one SKU priced at $400.

-November 2024 launch worldwide; as per Nintendo SOP, first year supply will be artificially constrained to stretch out demand (IT’S THE CHIP SHORTAGE!).

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17850 Posts

Well the basics I think will be basically a portable PS4 in a size similar to the switch. Still a 720P screen (saves on power). Probably LCD at launch because they can always upsell an OLED model later.

Basically a steam deck in terms of horsepower (though it will more than likely be ARM/Nvidia based) but a bit smaller and a few more tricks up it's sleeve (better ray tracing support (may not still be very usable though), some AI acceleration capacity (though DLSS may only really be used for docked mode....maybe).

It will, at least, also have the same feature set as the switch more than likely. They could require people to either buy joycons or use their existing ones if they are going in a different direction....but i don't think it will be that different.

Games wise I suspect Metroid Prime 4 is a launch title along with a new 3D mario platformer. I suspect we will also see the next Mario Kart within the first year and Smash within 18 months of launch.

The big question around the switch 2 is the extras....the wacky Nintendo doodad. Is it literally going to just be a Switch 2.0 or are they going to try something a bit different?

I saw a couple of interesting patents where it could potentially have Wiiu gamepad functionality when docked and also be turned into something more like a 3DS for portable mode (they patent also mentioned a 3rd screen for reasons... :S). But, while technically possible, this could make the system expensive.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#3 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2966 Posts

My predictions:

1080p60 standard graphics

Joycons, controls that come with the unit aren't detachable. (Can still sync Joy-cons as a controller separately)

LCD screen. Approximately same size as Switch. 1080p resolution.

Backwards compatibility with Switch.

Nintendo Online will stay the same price.

Launch titles: Animal Crossing, Pokemon, F-Zero, Super Mario Galaxy 3, Metroid Prime 4, GameCube HD collection.

Heavier, bulkier unit than the original Switch. Rubberized or textured grip where you hold the unit. More ergonomic design.

Price: $300.

Name: "Super Switch"

Launch: March 2025

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1137 Posts

Hopefully a stereoscopic 3D screen, cardboard VR support, trophy/achievement system, modern online features, and keep SD card support.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17850 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

Hopefully a stereoscopic 3D screen, cardboard VR support, trophy/achievement system, modern online features, and keep SD card support.

I'd love to see a return of the 3D screen. That would be a nice extra for portable mode. They did a great job improving the 3D when going from the og 3DS to the new 3DS and that was ages ago. There has probably been more improvements since.