SWG, does anyone know if...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eitremn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 eitremn
Member since 2004 • 806 Posts
i'm just curious if there has been any rumor or word about wether or not they will try this type of game again with the Star Wars universe?  i really hope that they do, Star Wars is my favorite franchise as far as this type of stuff go's.  so i'm also curious if any of you feel the same way that i do about wanting another Star Wars MMO?
Lethal_Gopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lethal_Gopher
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts
The new Galaxies is still around, but it is a sad mockery of the original engine. The original is my all time favorite MMO. Its the only one that ever fostered true roleplaying beyond mindles grind and combat only characters. In how many other games could I have played a fat Mon calimari (or a fat any race, why does eveyone have to be perfect clones) merchant that built great druids, was pretty decent at the slith horn and would suprise even the hardedest warriors with his pistol skills. I miss old Omen Occo. Now it is just a dull, starndard pick a generic class and grind grind grind, like all the others. Its a real shame that there really is no MMORPG that actually lives up to the RPG part anymore. If they did bring back the old engine, it would be worth playing again. Sadly, I can't recommend the current version at all. Lets just say the pistol that Lando is holding in the picture for the merchant/trader class can never actually be equiped even at max level.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
*Sigh* Pre-CU/Pre-NGE 4/4/4/4 Gaurdian here.  Sadly, they won't let the game just die.  They won't announce a sequel either, the install base has to be around 10-20,000.  Faltering every day...most people log on once a day to check their harvesters and then log right back off.  I wanted that game to work out so much, I spent 3 years of my life playing it.  WoW was too linear...to kiddy.  SWG, it actually meant something to unlock things.  Being a Gaurdian was great... but whatever.  As far as I know there are no plans for a second, Smedley has hinted at it on occasion, but the fact that SoE might be behind the game again has me thinking that the Star Wars MMO genre will be forever reduced to hundreds of noob jedi wandering around whining about the Jedi Elder Robes/Crystal that they can't get.
eitremn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 eitremn
i know what you guys are saying.  that game to me, was what an MMO should be.  player driven everything, not grind/loot driven.  even player made cities, and some people put a lot of creativity into making there cities look great!  the jedi grind was LONG, but so it should have been, nobody seemed to realize that the game was set in a time when jedi were suppose to be all but extinct, there was never suppose to be thousands of jedi running around everywhere.  i myself was a bounty hunter (amongst other things, cause it was great how in that game you could make your character so unique to whatever play style you wanted) and killed my fair share of jedi, which was fun as hell.  of course i got my A kicked once in a while as well.  so hopefully another is made, and it's like the old SWG pre CU but new and improved.  i wouldn't even mind if they set it in a completely different time frame, say like when KOTOR is set or further into the future during the new jedi order.
Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts

They won't announce a sequel either, the install base has to be around 10-20,000. Faltering every day...most people log on once a day to check their harvesters and then log right back off. TheSystemLord1

Actually, the install base is still around 100,000 people. While the giant amjority of us left, it has brought many people back with some of the new additions they have put it. It's hurting but not dead. I miss Pre-CU/NGE as well.

eitremn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eitremn

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]They won't announce a sequel either, the install base has to be around 10-20,000. Faltering every day...most people log on once a day to check their harvesters and then log right back off. Velric

Actually, the install base is still around 100,000 people. While the giant amjority of us left, it has brought many people back with some of the new additions they have put it. It's hurting but not dead. I miss Pre-CU/NGE as well.

well those people need to stop playing so we can possibly get a new one out. 

Greyhound222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Greyhound222
Member since 2005 • 2899 Posts
[QUOTE="Velric"]

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]They won't announce a sequel either, the install base has to be around 10-20,000. Faltering every day...most people log on once a day to check their harvesters and then log right back off. eitremn

Hell yeah! It's sad that they murdered the heart and soul of the game for some generic grind-driven MMO.
eitremn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 eitremn
[QUOTE="eitremn"][QUOTE="Velric"]

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]They won't announce a sequel either, the install base has to be around 10-20,000. Faltering every day...most people log on once a day to check their harvesters and then log right back off. Greyhound222

Hell yeah! It's sad that they murdered the heart and soul of the game for some generic grind-driven MMO.

very sad, i don't understand the reasoning behind this considering most of the user base left with the decision to do so.  and since then no game has come close to all the freedoms that SWG had in it.  it was even awesome how you could find better materials to make things with sometimes.  to me in that game, everyone was on a level playing ground.  it also wasn't that bad to switch your character build around if you wanted to do so.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
[QUOTE="Greyhound222"][QUOTE="eitremn"][QUOTE="Velric"]

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]They won't announce a sequel either, the install base has to be around 10-20,000. Faltering every day...most people log on once a day to check their harvesters and then log right back off. eitremn

very sad, i don't understand the reasoning behind this considering most of the user base left with the decision to do so.  and since then no game has come close to all the freedoms that SWG had in it.  it was even awesome how you could find better materials to make things with sometimes.  to me in that game, everyone was on a level playing ground.  it also wasn't that bad to switch your character build around if you wanted to do so.

Unfortunatley, such a game is not conducive to mass numbers of subscribers.  Kids signed on every day, spamming "HOW DO I GET JEDI PLZ HELP ME PLZ PST PST!!!!!!!!!"  I got over 100-200 messages a week (I liked to be seen heh heh what fun is being a gaurdian if you can't show off?)  When I told them that it took me a year and 2 months they quit immediatley.  Said, "Oh, *&(*& that I have a real life bye loser."  When all you had to do was not dick around for hours and do the necessary grinding for a couple hours each night.

Lethal_Gopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lethal_Gopher
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts
Though I'm sorry that no game has lived up to original SWG, I am happy to see that I am not the only one that sees what the original had to offer.  I had heard good things about vangaurd in production, that it had some of the same philosophies about free creation over peg board archtypes, but lately I haven't heard the best things.  A good buddy of mine and fellow SWG morner started it and is already back into EQII and I.  Has anyone heard any news on a real MMORPG and not just MMO hack and slash
eitremn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 eitremn

Though I'm sorry that no game has lived up to original SWG, I am happy to see that I am not the only one that sees what the original had to offer.  I had heard good things about vangaurd in production, that it had some of the same philosophies about free creation over peg board archtypes, but lately I haven't heard the best things.  A good buddy of mine and fellow SWG morner started it and is already back into EQII and I.  Has anyone heard any news on a real MMORPG and not just MMO hack and slashLethal_Gopher

yeah i think vanguard had a lot of promise but got rushed out the door.  *sigh* such is the case with far to many games now-a-days.  people are to dang impatient these days.  a lot of people say that eve online is great, but that game just isn't for me.  way to slow paced, and you never get to leave your ship.  while i love the idea of space travel in MMO's, i also love the idea of exploring new planets and possibly starting up a settlement in an uncharted part of a new planet.  i don't like MMO's that restrict your freedom.  not that i'm saying games such as wow are bad, i'm just saying MMO's should have more freedoms like SWG did.