Today, which do you prefer: 2D or 3D game mechanics?

Saurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Saurus
Member since 2024 • 6 Posts

Out of curiosity, today, which do you prefer: 2D or 3D game mechanics? Because? Reason your answer.

3D is like 2D, but better.? Because ?.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11672 Posts

Both are splendid.

In the right game, that is.

So depends how the game itself is designed and how it's taking advantage of what they're using.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16010 Posts

I prefer 3D games. There's more variety in the 3D category. However, my favourite game of last year was a 2D game; Super Mario Bros Wonder, so there's that.

Saurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Saurus

Are there video game genres, which were born for 2D, lateral, vertical and isometric game mechanics? What could these video games be?

On the contrary, all genres of arcade video games can go from 2D mechanics or game development to other 3D mechanics, if their programmers and designers know what things they should modify, to adapt them from 2D mechanics to other 3D ones. And if so, why haven't they done them all well? Has it been due to lack of experience when converting them from 2D to 3D mechanics?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7292 Posts

Overall, I tend to prefer 3D games. Feels more like you are in that world when you stick a z-axis in it. Makes exploration more interesting.

But its just a slight preference, plenty of 2D masterpieces out there.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11672 Posts
@saurus said:

Are there video game genres, which were born for 2D, lateral, vertical and isometric game mechanics? What could these video games be?

Most of the successful Beat em' Ups, Fighters, and Platformers are 2D, while majority 3D counterparts are considered clunky. This is heavily due to the transition to 3D being poorly handled and used more as a gimmick rather than the game designed for it in mind. Sonic the Hedgehog for example is more-than-not a joke in 3D while Sonic Mania was peak platforming joy.

With a few exceptions mind; Sifu is an amazing 3D BeU, Tekken Tag 2 is an amazing 3D Fighter, and Super Mario Galaxy for Platformer.

Still think both are great but it will depend who's working on it and does it fit the game they're designing.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7239 Posts

Grew up during the 2d days and saw the transition to 3d during the ps1 days. 3d for me.

Saurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Saurus

@RSM-HQ: Today I read about shoot'em up on wikipedia, that: " Video games with free movement in a 3D environment are not considered shoot 'em up per se; The word refers to video games where movement is limited to two two-dimensional axes (although the graphics may be rendered with three-dimensional polygons)." Run' gun video games consider it a subgenre of shoot'em up; not a separate genre, like brawlers, or platformers.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matamarcianos