What is the hardest game you have ever played.

• 52 results
Avatar image for masterkiller103
Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1 Masterkiller103
Member since 2022 • 468 Posts

I can't believe i couldn't find a topic like this so im gonna starr one myself. Tell me or (us), What is the hardest game you have played. We've all played hard game over the years that we found tedious. For me Sekiero: Shadows die twice is the hardest one i played so far.

Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Masterkiller103

Alogside Sekiero there's also some other games i found to be frustrating.

-Hollow Knight.

-Super Meat Boy.

-Cuphead.

-Crash bandicoot 4: It's About Time.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

Varies on game mode and certain challenges. A few I've done_

Devil May Cry 3: DMD Mode, Ninja Gaiden Black/ Sigma: Master Ninja Mode, Sifu: Flawless Run, CastleVania III, CV Vampire Killer, The Evil Within: Akumu Mode, MH4G: 140 Apex Rajang, & MHWI Fatalis.

Probably have more someone would consider challenging, but the ones I've noted are notoriously difficult. Even then all achievable given enough patience, I've beaten some of these more than once because found them fun.

Never considered the Souls ARPGs overly taxing, as such they wouldn't rank in my personal list.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Any MP game with skilled players.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
@warmblur said:

I know what you mean with this statement but the topic asked what game gave you the most trouble, by definition it would refer to programmed A.I./ game design.

Unless played locally at a competitive event and more likely online it works both ways. If you put a lot of time playing one game and are in the competitive scene, you're the one many players need to avoid, not to mention it all depends on a games popularity. With over 1,000 ranked games in TTT2 my win ratio was over 80%, that must mean I was fairly good I guess? Debateable, I recall a high volume of Mishima players spamming Spinning Demon and not much else, easy wins for set-up/ parry players. Compared to my time at the arcade, playing online was very manageable, at times downright easy.

If it's being played by a million at least, high volume of those players have barely scratch the surface of a games depth. Games like Splatoon and Fortnite are not hugely competitive for this reason. I would even argue Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike can be manageable assuming you're not stuck against auto-aim bots. Souls PvP is in the same boat, everyone follows meta meme builds that are easy to take down with some basic knowledge.

If I had to think of a game online that really had a solid player base it would be Quake. I loved Quake Live, Champions was still ok but due to the quality of game it just didn't have the support or mass-appeal. In QL my top leaderboard ratio was probably less than 10%.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@RSM-HQ said:
@warmblur said:

I know what you mean with this statement but the topic asked what game gave you the most trouble, by definition it would refer to programmed A.I./ game design.

Unless played locally at a competitive event and more likely online it works both ways. If you put a lot of time playing one game and are in the competitive scene, you're the one many players need to avoid, not to mention it all depends on a games popularity. With over 1,000 ranked games in TTT2 my win ratio was over 80%, that must mean I was fairly good I guess? Debateable, I recall a high volume of Mishima players spamming Spinning Demon and not much else, easy wins for set-up/ parry players. Compared to my time at the arcade, playing online was very manageable, at times downright easy.

If it's being played by a million at least, high volume of those players have barely scratch the surface of a games depth. Games like Splatoon and Fortnite are not hugely competitive for this reason. I would even argue Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike can be manageable assuming you're not stuck against auto-aim bots. Souls PvP is in the same boat, everyone follows meta meme builds that are easy to take down with some basic knowledge.

If I had to think of a game online that really had a solid player base it would be Quake. I loved Quake Live, Champions was still ok but due to the quality of game it just didn't have the support or mass-appeal. In QL my top leaderboard ratio was probably less than 10%.

Fair points I would say Battlefield 2 but with 64 size map all vehicle server and the other team has a good bomber pilot that can carpet bomb the shit out of the other team they can pretty much dominate the game same with a attack helicopter. When I use to play I got really good as the gunner of the helicopter and me and a teammate would just destroy the other team. It was so fun and funny that I would get accused of hacking and get kicked off the server because my kill count was in the hundreds it was the best lol. But I guess my other answer would be Arma I only played a little but that shit is on another level hard.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ

@warmblur: Only ever played a little Battlefield 1943, and from what was stated it's considered a departure of quality and quantity. Seems I dived into the series a little too late, though that's probably because I leaned more on Arena Shooters for my FPS kicks.

I know the older P.C. versions of BF games are known for having high player count (for the time) and very interactive maps. Pushing hardware.

From what you note seems like a lot of fun. Not long ago I recall new users asking for Warhawk and MAG to come back because they miss these glory days of large scale battle FPS games. It's a shame everyone is jumping on the Battle Royale train when many these IPs have a lot to offer outside that bubble.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@RSM-HQ said:

@warmblur: Only ever played a little Battlefield 1943, and from what was stated it's considered a departure of quality and quantity. Seems I dived into the series a little too late, though that's probably because I leaned more on Arena Shooters for my FPS kicks.

I know the older P.C. versions of BF games are known for having high player count (for the time) and very interactive maps. Pushing hardware.

From what you note seems like a lot of fun. Not long ago I recall new users asking for Warhawk and MAG to come back because they miss these glory days of large scale battle FPS games.It's a shame everyone is jumping on the Battle Royale train when many these IPs have a lot to offer outside that bubble.

Yeah, MP gaming IMO was much better back in the day not only the games themselves but EA back then wasn't as bad sounds crazy I know people where actually able to rent servers and mod the game alot more freedom in the 2000's.

Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Masterkiller103

>MP better back in the day

Black ops is my personal fav, don't like MP in anyway now.

>Much more freedom in 2000's

How? Wasn't playing MP myself until 2011, examples?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#11 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@masterkiller103:

I don't care if I get called a "noob" but basically every Dark Souls type of game. Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne mainly. 😢 I tried to get good......I really did.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

nioh nioh 2 sekiro elden ring demons souls bloodborne dark souls series cuphead celeste hollow knight

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts

Ninja Gaiden on the NES. It's beyond me how anyone can beat it.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

Ninja garden on og xbox and super meat boy are brutal.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

Depends on a difficulty level I'm playing. I want to say it was Horizon Zero Dawn on the very first play-through (when I did not upgrade almost anything, and the fights took way too long), but I've got to say that it was Vampyr, because the difficulty was unbalanced as hell. I was playing on normal, but, if the enemies were 2 levels above you - you had a hard time + the drops from killed enemies were more or less few and abysmal. However, I tried the game on story mode (first difficulty level; normal was second), and holy hell, was the game a joke - you could breeze through enemies that were 10 levels above you without taking much damage + the drops from killed enemies were enough to craft multiple gears per night, which you could not do on normal. See what I mean about dis-balances in difficulties? But actually, what I'm going to say is - Dark Souls.

Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Masterkiller103

>Depends on difficulty

Indeed, i mean i oubviously meant the game on the normal difficulty, cuz that's the treu experience of the game.

>Dark souls

Completed it? I gave up on it midway through since I wasn't very skillful at it the first time i played it.

Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Masterkiller103

@nepu7supastar7: The only souls game i completed was demon souls.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Sekiro on the first try was probably the hardest game I ever completed. But after my 4th run I only died 2 time in the entire game from start to finish (both deaths came against Isshin, all others were first attempt...!)

But overall God of War on GMGoW difficulty has to be the hardest.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mozelleple112

@masterkiller103: "Obviously meant normal",

Uhh so many games are designed to be playe on hard difficulty, if not the hardest. Ghost of Tsushima is meant to be played on 'Lethal' mode, and GOWR should be any easier than Give me a Challenge / Give me No mercy

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RSM-HQ
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@masterkiller103:

I don't care if I get called a "noob" but basically every Dark Souls type of game. Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne mainly. 😢 I tried to get good......I really did.

They're still considerably hard games, especially compared to majority of games coming out in the 2010's to now; however Soul games always come across as feasible, and not overly taxing when compared to some truly punishing and demanding games that barely give an inch of error.

This is all debateable from player to player but I personally never found a Souls game too difficult. Just require a little observation and patience.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3455 Posts

@Mozelleple112: I have my doubts that Ghost of Sushi was meant to be played on Lethal since the game wasn't released with that option. I do agree that once they added Lethal it made better. Still not great but better no doubt, I was seriously considering quitting the game until they added it.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 284

User Lists: 37

#22  Edited By heguain
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts

Sekiro, Sifu, Dark Souls expansions, Bayonetta, Doom Eternal, Nioh 1-2, DMC3, Overwatch series.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Its challenging but more due to being very time consuming I guess. Platinumed both World and Iceborne pre crown quest. One of the most time consuming thing I ever done in gaming I killed almost 300 great jagras for the small crown lmao. There werent many guides then as everyone still completing the game so I kinda just guess and miss each time 😂.

For actual challenging game probably Last Remnant. Game can fk you up if you overleveled. The whole rally system randomness means facing boss you potentially can be 1 shotted even with good squad. I think the remaster fixes some of the issues.

tronia191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tronia191
Member since 2023 • 5 Posts

I completely agree with you - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is definitely one of the most challenging games out there. From the unforgiving combat system to the relentless bosses, it can be an incredibly frustrating experience. However, I also found it to be one of the most rewarding games I've ever played. Overcoming each obstacle and finally defeating a tough boss feels like a genuine accomplishment.

Another game that comes to mind when I think of difficult games is Dark Souls. Similar to Sekiro, it's known for its brutal difficulty and steep learning curve. The game doesn't hold your hand - you have to figure out how to progress on your own and be prepared to die multiple times before finally mastering a particular section or boss. However, like Sekiro, it can be incredibly rewarding once you start to get the hang of it.

That being said, I think it's important to remember that everyone's experience with difficult games will vary. What may be challenging for one person might not be as challenging for someone else. It's all about personal preferences and skill levels. Nevertheless, it's always interesting to hear what games others find to be the most challenging and why.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

I'm replaying Sekiro right now actually. Very fun game. Basically all you need to do is slice, parry, mikiri counter and jump counter. Do that well and it will get you through the whole game. In order to do that well, you need to know the enemies' attacks. Learning those takes a different amount of time for different people, of course.

I find Ikaruga to be much more difficult. That game is already a very hard shmup, but then it wants you to do combos too with the color flip system. I can't. I need another brain to do that. Already busy trying to not die.

Then there's some NES games that are just stupid. Dragon's Lair for example. Probably the hardest (and one of the worst) games I've ever played.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

Pretty much all soulsborne-type games. Elden Ring, Dark Souls, Nioh, and The Surge.

Avatar image for deactivated-642c1157b8e80
deactivated-642c1157b8e80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-642c1157b8e80
Member since 2023 • 262 Posts

@dracula_16 said:

👆🏻

No one in my hometown when it was new could beat it. Not one of us, and we were elder millennial kids! Tigers! But despite how hard games were then on average… it was beyond us. Even that one rich kid with a Neo-Geo everyone wanted to be friends with couldn’t beat it.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts

There was/is? a shareware a 2k game which was essentially 1 pixel stars coming at you like shooting stars. And you without any weaponry of any kind. I think the ship did have a boost, however. My best is 10 seconds, something like that. There is no way to beat it aside from having a kick ass time.

I miss that game. It was Japanese, so I don't know the name of it. If anybody recognizes it, let me know, plz.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3455 Posts

Life

😎,

🎉

Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Masterkiller103

@kathaariancode said:

Life

😎,

🎉

Well sorry to hear that.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

@quiggling said:
@dracula_16 said:

👆🏻

No one in my hometown when it was new could beat it. Not one of us, and we were elder millennial kids! Tigers! But despite how hard games were then on average… it was beyond us. Even that one rich kid with a Neo-Geo everyone wanted to be friends with couldn’t beat it.

Damn, never really understood this when I'd see this on forums. I was a little kid when I was beating those games lol. Distinctly remember getting NG2 (NES) for my 9th bday and beating it that same day.

There were way way way harder NES games than those.

-

On topic, hard to say. Mostly older games. If you mean just beating a game, NG2 (360) on Path of the Master NInja was pretty brutal. Intentionally tough as nails, made worse by being rushed out unbalanced.

But beating a game is rarely the challenge. For example, DMC games are a walk in the park compared to NG games if you're just playing till the credits roll. But mastering something like DMC4 Dante is entirely different, basically out of every gamers pay grade. Could dedicate years to that and still be mid.

Most of my toughest experiences with single player games are about chasing scores/ranks/times.

Though the absolute toughest shit would be my time with fighting games. Sure, any MP game can be hard with skilled players. But not all MP games are created equal. The amount of difficult things you have to be decent at before you can even competently compete in fighting games, really on their own level. Forget the skill ceiling, the skill floor itself is a beast. Only competitive genre that ever compared was RTS. Anyways, extremely rewarding, well worth the effort.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

Doom on nightmare.

Game even warned you this mode aint even remotely fair

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1352 Posts

Elden Ring hands down for me. I even tried using a guide/walk through to get started and just couldn’t get it. First time playing a souls like game, probably the last.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RSM-HQ

@ratchetclank92: The advice I always give to those coming into a Soulsborne game fresh is they're all about slow methodical pace when adventuring.

Look out for traps and ponder solutions before jumping in the fire, simply attacking is rarely the best solution, because the difficulty of combat is heavily positioning-based rather than enemies being unforgiving, take advantage of your surroundings.

As for bosses it's more of the same plus preparation. Usually bosses share an element or attack similar to the enemies in zone they guard, and these areas typically hand items that make these bosses easier.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 514 Posts

Xcom 2 war of the chosen on Ironman mode. It was brutal.

FredSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FredSC
Member since 2023 • 57 Posts

Definitely Resident Evil, I just don't have the psychology for horror games, I'm always scared, I do things wrong, I spend hours on childish riddles to solve, it's not easy...

blindgamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blindgamerz
Member since 2023 • 5 Posts

The hardest game I've played is Swordigo .

Swordigo is a 2012 action-adventure platform game created by Finnish indie studio Touch Foo.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RSM-HQ
@girlusocrazy said:

I found the first Castlevania to be more of a PITA...

Maybe I just played too much of the first CastleVania growing up but I never found it that tough. CVIII is probably the most extreme in my experience.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RSM-HQ

@girlusocrazy: May have noticed it's on my list of most challenging games.

Never played this entry till the collection but found it manageable up until the final level which is probably the toughest boss gauntlet in the entire series. Took me at least ten attempts to get a rough victory.

As an overall entry though I don't think it's quite as cruel as III. Which can come across as cheap, designed around taking your lives in some cases, the timer is also just a pain for how long some of the levels stretch in III.

The SEGA game could easily be made as a case for the second most challenging game, Rondo is also among the most difficult, though Rondo has a finely tuned balance despite its difficulty.

Not to belittle the challenge of the series in other entries, these games outside the Metroidvania formula are tough as nails. They just also have a rhythm to them as well. I also love the MetroidVania games but they're not that tough when looked at the most difficult games in the franchise.

Stolen Seal while can be grinded out, is a difficult one too. Love that game, doesn't get enough love. Still hoping we get a DS Collection someday.

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 timemasheen
Member since 2015 • 489 Posts

Total Recall on NES gave me a lot of trouble. I still have never beat it. It was also one of the first games I've ever owned.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 719 Posts

Halo on top difficulty. It is the hardest and most rewarding game that I can imagine!

FreeCredits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 FreeCredits
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

Elden Ring

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mozelleple112

@ConanTheStoner: Dude, DMC5 Dante is so fucking hard to be good at. I'm replaying DMC5 at DMD and sheesh it sucks to play with Dante as opposed to Vergil or Nero. Still trying to man up for a H&H run

HanzoDiamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HanzoDiamond
Member since 2023 • 26 Posts

Sekiro, first time in any game that I spend 60+ tries in just one boss. Then the next morning I did it in one try. lol

*The power of ZEN*

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#47 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6101 Posts

Elden Ring was so difficult for me I got a refund from MS after two days of playing.

CupHead was another. Frustrated with these two games the most in recent years.

ldbreadface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ldbreadface
Member since 2021 • 3 Posts

should be world of warcraft, it's too complicated, if there're no addons, it will be so hard to play this game, and the map is too big, too many items in game, it matches the word 'world'

alextage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 alextage
Member since 2023 • 8 Posts

The lion king for sega and Batman forever also for sega im telling you no one has ever beat these gaming lol

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4252 Posts

Kid Acuras for NES.