What's Going To Be Your Vocation For Dragon's Dogma 2?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11672 Posts

A sequel fans have wanted for a very, very longtime. An open world ARPG experience given a second chance to shine with extremely satisfying physical comabt and adaptive magic systems just around the corner (Elden Ring who?!)

With day-one swiftly upon us those like myself have already played around with the free character creator in preparation. And while it is missing some features from the original game plenty have come up with interesting Arisens and Pawns to begin the adventure (personally just recreated my team from the OG game)

Seen a lot of love for the Warfarer Vocation too which adds switching Vocation movesets/ weapons at a moments notice, very similar to the Devil May Cry Styles system; this overwhelming flexibility does come at the cost of weaker overall stats though. So be cautious if you want a drop of stats so you have way more options at hand_

For the starting selection I went with Fighter yet will switch over to Warrior the first chance I get. I'm curious how stat growth will work in the sequel but I won't bother explaining that here; though needless to say in the first game found mostly leveling as Assassin for my Warrior was more productive than leveling as Warrior to max level.

Warrior is my go-to in DD with my Pawn remaining a Mage, I find the A.I. for these games fits best with a distance elemental and healer. Furthermore Warrior will now in the sequel focus heavily on parries and a heavy attack that auto mounts enemies on a successful strike.

Plus just playing as a Warrior has the benefit of just giving zero fucks to larger enemies.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56154 Posts

I'm impressed with the Lae'zel character creation, very awesome indeed.

Anyway, I'll be picking it up for PC day one purchase and will have the whole weekend off to play with it and as for class, Mystic Spearhand is the most promising I'll be going with as my main as its the replacement for my main in the last game aka Mystic Knight, I just love the Telekinetic magic spells Capcom given it where you can pull yourself towards enemies or pick up enemies at will. Other than that, I'll likely switch to something else but, we'll see.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ

@davillain: Interestingly enough we know from the artbook of DD that Mystic Knight only existed in the original game because they didn't have enough time to incorporate spear animations and moveset. The artbook doesn't show anything resembling Mystic Knight's kit but showed someone with a long spear, the mentor character in DD1 The Dragonforged. Who in-game is even stated to have fought the dragon with a spear.

This was further elaborated when they did a long interview retrospective before the reveal of DD2. So one can view Mystic Spearhand as the original intent.

Same with the lion race, that was intended for the original game.

It's why Assassin is also missing, while an insanely powerful Vocation it was simply reskinning Ranger and Strider. So an illusion of more Vocations because the team lacked time and funding to add anything more substantial.

It cannot be denied that Dragon's Dogma II is looking to be what the team intended the first game to be. & that's very exciting they get the chance and the funding/time to pull it off. I love DD and have been chatting about it on forums for years; yet it has always felt like a 'needs one more chance to shine' kind of games, because the first just didn't quite come together as one would hope.

I wonder what the Dark Arisen expansion will be like in 2025?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator

After looking at the performance on consoles and PC, it seems Dragon's Dogma 2 is having issues due to heavy CPU usage. I'm gonna have to read more reviews on the PC side and while I have a powerful machine, my 5900X will survive but wanna play it safe. I might wait till Capcom patch the game before paying full price but, we'll see.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ

@davillain: I got my copy early (PS5) and have five hours in DD2, performance is rough when the screen gets heavy with many NPCs or enemies sadly. Reminding me a lot of the framerate dips in Bloodborne, when it chugs? it chugs hard!

Not too shocked considering it's RE Engine. And the only game prior on RE using massive open areas/ many character models on screen at once was World Tour in Street Fighter 6. Which also had massive framerate dips.

DD2 is not only a much bigger map than anything in SF6 World Tour, but far more detailed models too.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator

@RSM-HQ: Thanks for the heads up. I decided to just get it and just work with it. I'll return sometime next week and give out my impression.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RSM-HQ

@davillain: Over ten hours now, and while it does get hectic at times, the boss encounters have been stable for me and the game overall is fantastic.

I'd be very surprised if another game tops DD2 as my 2024 GotY. The combat is just amazing!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator

@RSM-HQ: Looking at the Steam reviews users which I take there words over mega gaming site reviews that tends to overlooks technical problems within the game itself. Only issue I don't like seeing in any game is performance issues. It's really bad on PC and inexcusable, it should be patch asap!

Those microtransactions shouldn't exist but let's not ignore when RE4 Remake did the same thing. There not needed at all IMO. That being said, I will wait for Capcom patches to fix everything before I purchase Dragon's Dogma 2.

Decided to get Horizon: Forbidden West on PC and I'm really enjoying it as I did with the first game. I hope you enjoy Dragon's Dogma 2 to the fullest.

I don't know about you, but I'm really surprised and shocked there's no one posting on the game if they like it or not.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#9 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9562 Posts

Rolling double Thief, but my Arisen will probably get a bit of everything. 5 points in Thief and 3 in Archery so far.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ

@davillain: Resident Evil 4 Remake? has music, maps, and alt costumes. Along with later tickets.

Devil May Cry V and even DMCIV had the same kind of microtransactions with Yellow, Blue and Red Orbs. I don't know why people are pretending that this is a sudden change for Itsunos Capcom games and are saying it's only just happened. & furthermore let's not pretend Capcom are selling Lootboxes, because they're not, you're buying items to skip steps of single-player games. If anything it's for people who don't like a challenge, or just want a game finished quicker.

Almost every Capcom game for the past decade (whether I'm happy with it or not) has some form of easy mode microtransaction/ add-on. Even MH after a year offers free baby-mode armor for those who don't like games and wants to blitz through the Low Rank Story. At least you got to see the credits, G-Rank however won't offer any handholding

I'm not going pretend that these games don't offer people to pay & cut corners. However some people want to skip games I guess to say "I beat it".

It's not creators intent to farm port crystals and ferrystones; explore the world and have fun is the DD2 that's the game I'm playing, heck I didn't even touch the pre-order pack because I want non of that casual shit. I waited over a decade for Dragon's Dogma 2 and am going to enjoy it.

Capcom did the research, and outside cosmetics the most downloaded 'mods' for majority the games they make are infinite items and section skips. So if anyone is to blame it's 'fans' putting this into Capcoms head. They're giving 'fans' what they want, and a quicker way of doing so.

I don't know about you, but I'm really surprised and shocked there's no one posting on the game if they like it or not.

If I've learned one thing from Game Spot Forums is 'fake' opinions are fairly common. If you are familiar with another sites meme-

"don't mess with gamers we don't even play video games"

I find that mentality to hold strong here.

Other than me it seems maybe two other users of this site had any intention of playing DD2. The rest are either too busy playing the game to use this site (maybe three users if lucky). The rest are probably watching a Vtuber or something and have no intent of playing the game, but will tell me why the microtransactions are awful and "gameplay is bad".

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RSM-HQ
@WitIsWisdom said:

Rolling double Thief, but my Arisen will probably get a bit of everything. 5 points in Thief and 3 in Archery so far.

Always the best when gaining Augments, even the magic Vocations offer good ones for physical builds.

Still Warrior but I've bounced to get the last of the Fighter Vocations and making my way through Thief as well (Stamina Augment)