When will AAA games use AI speech recognition?

tpz4sheezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tpz4sheezy
Member since 2017 • 76 Posts

I’ve seen videos where people have used mods on some pc games enabling them to chat with random npc characters and it made me wonder when do you guys think this will be put into games like Elder scrolls, GTA, etc? I know some games are already doing this on a super small scale but when do you think the big games will start doing this? Next gen maybe???

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58352 Posts

@tpz4sheezy: Yeah I'd like to see this used more.

Sure, it's a gimmick, but it could still be fun. Or if not to have conversations, then to at least convey information.

First game I recall this (not AI, but voice communication) being used on was Tom Clancy's End War strategy game. I think there was also a Silent Hunter sub sim that used voice commands as well.

By all accounts it worked fairly well. At the very least it can be used to make things more immersive and easier; just imagine playing a game with an AI squad of allies and giving them voice commands. Then make it in virtual reality!

tpz4sheezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tpz4sheezy

I just want a rpg game or game like red dead redemption that I can make genuine conversations with npcs and that they will remember our interactions and what we talked about. I’ve seen some crude videos of games using chat gpt mods and it was super cool but it was really basic and basically functioned like a regular chat bot. I can’t wait until its gotten upgraded to where you can tell your npc companions that we should rob this character or kill this character and each npc has its own personality and will act accordingly and change based on what happens in the game. I think we are closer to that being a reality than many think especially with all the investments in AI technology that companies are putting forth. When do you guys seeing this becoming a reality? Will this be the next buzzword to sell next gen systems like ray tracing and path tracing are today??

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34629 Posts

When it's good. Give it 10 years or so.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

Definitely soon. Those youtube shorts (and I presume its from tiktok idk I dont use it) using AI text to speech and its mighty impressive tbh and this probably means npc chatter at least gonna be handled by AI recording.

For the AI generated voices, point and click noir or investigation style games seems the testing ground where AI used to generate gameplay and npc dialogues for players to interact with. Some big publishers definitely working something on it. For example Square Enix previewed such game but released to the masses but without the AI tech due to some concerns of inapopriate content that may be generated by users. Or it sucks cause its square after all they kinda suck at releasing anything unrelated to FF or DQ.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9406 Posts

Haven't personally tried any of the demos, but I am interested to see this tech used by game devs. An NPC that is able to have a unique conversion informed by the world that they live in would be awesome.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9563 Posts

Unless they pass some quick laws it's only a matter of time before it's extremely commonplace in not only the gaming industry but in about everything that exists. Perhaps make it a law to have a disclaimer that AI speech (or AI in general) is in use.

A couple of years ago when AI speech and art was taking off everyone said it was crazy to expect much... here we are a couple years later and it isn't difficult to envision a near future world where AI is nearly indistinguishable from sentient life in imitation and often times blowing away human skill... of course that begs the question... sky net confirmed?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
@WitIsWisdom said:

Unless they pass some quick laws it's only a matter of time before it's extremely commonplace in not only the gaming industry but in about everything that exists. Perhaps make it a law to have a disclaimer that AI speech (or AI in general) is in use.

A couple of years ago when AI speech and art was taking off everyone said it was crazy to expect much... here we are a couple years later and it isn't difficult to envision a near future world where AI is nearly indistinguishable from sentient life in imitation and often times blowing away human skill... of course that begs the question... sky net confirmed?

Going to laugh if gaming, not some shadow government or defense project, leads to a Skynet-type situation.

"Yeah, so there we were, playing games in 2024. We said 'ya but wouldn't it be cool if AI?' and so we did it. Which is why in 2030 the nukes were launched..."

"What are you saying? That it was all just part of a game?"

*laughs* "YUP! JUST ONE BIG GAME! BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!"

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4232 Posts

@mrbojangles25: lol, that would be the height of irony/ironic outcome.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25

@outworld222 said:

@mrbojangles25: lol, that would be the height of irony/ironic outcome.

Ya the thing is if you care about history at all, you'd realize crazy shit happens all the time. I mean, obviously not to that same degree of impact, but like...some really crazy stuff has happened in the past from really stupid people doing stuff or people just being curious.

Cold War for example, we had SOOOOOO many close calls.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4232 Posts

@mrbojangles25: agreed. WW1 started by mistake, as well. Anything’s possible, in the crazy world we live in.

tpz4sheezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tpz4sheezy

Tech is getting crazy. I just started using chat gpt for random things and some of the absurd questions I ask it and the fact it under stands my questions is mind boggling. For instance I was arguing about football with someone and asked it “ tell me recent elite wide receivers to win a Super Bowl”. It gave me precise and great info , exactly what I was looking for. We got to remember this is as bad as it’s going to be as far as being primitive and it’s already amazing. With anything close to exponential growth the next ten years are going to be spooky how sci fi Ai is going to get.