Will Sony charge for PS5 pro upgrade patches?

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Will Sony charge for PS5 pro upgrade patches? (14 votes)

No 50%
Yes 50%

Yes they will. For instance, Spider Man 2 players on the base PS5 will need to pay around $10 or so for the privilege of playing at 4K120 on the Pro. They already do this now with PS4 to PS5 upgrades.

PS4 to PS4 Pro game patches were free. That will no longer be the case for the PS5 Pro. Sony lost $10B in stock valuation last quarter, they need the revenue because their shareholders are pissed off.

• 
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56154 Posts

No one truly knows if there's ever gonna be a PS5 Pro and even if there is, do we really need it? PS5 to me is as powerful as they come from what I've seen and played so far.

Also, no insane person is gonna start charging patches. Patches are there to fix the problem of game developers discovered by the players. You cannot simply charge patches because it's never the gamer's fault, it's the developers for not discovering bugs/glitches/framerate drops during test gaming if they still do those.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

If we go by last gen PS4pro upgrades, no. but it will be interesting if sony does charge its games.

GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3108 Posts

@davillain: please read more carefully. I never claimed Sony would charge for corrective patches, no one in their right mind would charge for those.

Sony is charging gen 8 game owners for gen 9 ports, I can absolutely see them charging for the privilege of playing base PS5 games at PS5 Pro specs. Starting with Spider Man 2 and God of War Ragnarok.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9562 Posts

More than likely? Can't say I blame them.. personally I won't be upgrading any of my games unless they're free or multiplayer, because I'll have already played through them before if I had the interest, and I don't usually play through single player games more than once unless they are shorter games.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WitIsWisdom

More than likely? Can't say I blame them.. personally I won't be upgrading any of my games unless they're free or multiplayer, because I'll have already played through them before if I had the interest, and I don't usually play through single player games more than once unless they are shorter games.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WitIsWisdom

More than likely? That is to say if there is any significant upgrades that need actual tweaking behind the scenes and aren't just automatic... if they are automatically converted then probably not. Can't say I blame them.. personally I won't be upgrading any of my games unless they're free or multiplayer, because I'll have already played through them before if I had the interest, and I don't usually play through single player games more than once unless they are shorter games.

That said PS5 Pro day 1 either way and if the Enhanced versions for the Pro cost more from the start.. well, I'll be getting those versions.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4374 Posts

@davillain said:

No one truly knows if there's ever gonna be a PS5 Pro and even if there is, do we really need it? PS5 to me is as powerful as they come from what I've seen and played so far.

Also, no insane person is gonna start charging patches. Patches are there to fix the problem of game developers discovered by the players. You cannot simply charge patches because it's never the gamer's fault, it's the developers for not discovering bugs/glitches/framerate drops during test gaming if they still do those.

so.... that was a thing in ps3,360 era, start of ps4 era/one....

GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3108 Posts

I am shocked that Sony didn’t charge for the Valhalla update for Ragnarok. Sony is infamous for nickel and diming their customers and one solitary instance of doing something for free does not negate their many other instances of reaching and grasping for more cash.

Oh and before I get accused of Sony hate: Microsoft is a despicable reprehensible corporation that should be broken up and operated as individual entities. Nintendo rehashes its games and hasn’t had an original idea in five years. Anyone who fanboys over these corporations and actually believes that these companies care about them is a moron.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17826 Posts

Nah i don't think they will. They did chance their arm a bit with the PS4->PS5 stuff with some games but, at the same time, that's also like giving you a remastered version of the game for a small fee. Some of the improvements over the PS4 game to the PS5 were quite substantial. Better textures, lighting, character models etc. It's not unheard of for companies to do this for those kinds of upgrades.

However for existing PS5 games, if they even do get patched, it will be more just for shader recompilation and a new settings preset. I don't think Sony will charge for that. I don't see many developers going back to their old PS5 games and doing mroe substantial rework....mainly because the upgrade to the Pro is so small anyway.

Nintendo on the other hand....hmm. I could very well see them charge a fee to unlock your existing switch purchases for the Switch 2. It's unlikely...but still quite a bit higher than 0 chance.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9818 Posts

Seeing Sony fanboys squeal at the prospect of Dragons Dogma at 60fps on pro before realising that that 10% clock increase makes equal to a standard XSX actually made me chuckle.

Pretty sure Sony are well aware that there’s no point in a pro console at this point. The difference would be barely noticeable until you analyse it microscopically.

Next gen consoles need a CPU buff. Image quality is about as good as it’s going to get.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7239 Posts

I think it's possible think Xbox got it right by doing smart delivery.