neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#51 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4401 Posts

I'd much rather buy physical copies - but local stores that actually sell physical copies of PC games is getting harder and harder to come by.

GameStop used to (8+ years ago) be a great spot to find PC games. They hardly carry any PC games now, plus they open the boxes to remove the game CD and install Keys from the case. To me, that doesn't feel like a "new" game. I don't stop at GameStop anymore because of these two reasons (lack of games and boxes opened by staff). I have 3 or 4 GameStop stores within about a 20 mile radius from where I live and I used to frequent the stores about once a month and buy cheap, discounted games....those were the good days for buying physical copies.

Target used to have a shelf lined (at least my local Target store) with PC games - up until about 5 years ago. As every year passes the amount of PC games drops by about 25%. They only have about 2 dozen games now instead of the nearly 60+ they carried and most of them are Sims, Blizzard games, CoD and Battlefield games. They also used to be a good place to find discounted PC games. This is where I picked up the first 3 entries in the Assassin's Creed series for $4.99 each.

Walmart - I don't frequent it very often, but similar situation to Target.

Best Buy - similar to Target and Walmart. Their selection of PC games has greatly dwindled. I remember walking up and down 2-3 aisles (20-30ft long) and drooling over all the PC games and having issues trying to decide what I wanted to buy. I used to find good deals on games at the local Best Buy stores....but they haven't had any good selection of PC games for the past 6+ years. What they do offer isn't anything different than what Target or Walmart has. They have a small section on the shelves for PC games - probably about an 1/12th of what they used to carry 6+ years ago.

MicroCenter - this used to be a treasure trove of PC games. It's across town from me and takes about 30 minutes (depending on construction and traffic) to get there, so I don't go very often....I always buy something when I go so I have to limit my visits to keep me from buying unnecessary computer stuff. They had PC games galore! I found a physical copy of Gears of War there when no one else had them and they were getting hard to come by. I purchased many games from there....but what they offer has declined by half (or even more) when compared to 4-5 years ago.

It gets harder and harder to find physical copies of PC games as each year goes by in local stores. Sometimes the only physical copy you can buy is online and it's some stupid "collector's edition" that costs you an extra $50+ (and that's not something I can easily afford nor would buy even if I could).

I have maybe 120-130 physical copies of PC games in my current collection. Out of those, I believe I still have 15-20 games I've never opened and had a chance to play (I'd blame that on having a family now).

I don't buy many games through digital - most of the digital games I do get are gifted to me through Steam from my younger brother because he knows I'm broke and he enjoys playing co-op games online with me. But if I do see a game I really want and physical copies aren't available or they're horribly overpriced compared to digital, then I'll get a copy of it digital. Nowadays, most physical copies I do buy are online from Amazon....I'd much rather buy a copy from a local business, but it's becoming a rarity to do that.

TheSeptopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By TheSeptopus
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts

@MuD3 said:

people complaining about clutter: Do you not have room for a shelf? I've got over a 100 physical game cases and it's taking up less than 1/3rd of one shelf....

I have a little over 400 physical game cases at my parents house. I've used multiple shelves before, now they're all stacked on top of each other in various cabinets and desk drawers. I have books to place on shelves. Transporting all of those back and forth would require a couple trunks and my apartment's bedroom isn't as spacious as my childhood bedroom, especially with two people living in it.

FuncoLand4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By FuncoLand4eva
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

I keep the games I love most at arms reach, and i always buy physical copies on consoles, I cant take a digital copy to a friends house, and there the same price.

And do have an awesome game room, i also have a 3 year old. The back of the room for all you PC guys. PC games I download.

tatman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 tatman87
Member since 2015 • 227 Posts

I prefer phygital games myself.

Alexk91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#55 Alexk91
Member since 2010 • 51 Posts

If I'm looking to receive a bunch of bonus physical merchandise (Fallout NV, Skyrim), then I buy the physical collector's edition. If I'm looking to be practical and save space and couldn't care less about physical casing, then I buy the game digitally through GoG, Steam, or another digital service.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#56 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

I know physical products are slowly becoming outdated, but I still enjoy just having something tangible to attach to my game. even when I buy a PC game I sometimes look for a hard copy of the game despite possible issues with modding, compatibility, etc., just because I enjoy collecting I guess

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Kind of hard , when you put a great pic like this , to pick digital.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

#58 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts

Of course I prefer buying them physically, but since I mainly started PC gaming most of my games are digital so I don't care much these days.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#59 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@loafofgame said:
@davillain- said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

@GameSpot: Physical>Digital

The refund policies are so bad atm, so i prefer physical

As things stand, digital forces the customer to give up too many rights. Unless and until that changes, I will stay with physical media whenever possible if giving the chances but I have bought few digital games on PS4.

Call me naive, but this lack of rights only becomes problematic when something goes wrong, the chances of which seem relatively small. While complaints are certainly justified, in some cases it reeks a bit too much of doomsday thinking. Sure, there are probably a lot of stories of people with problems, but the actual percentage is probably not as large as perception suggests. Personally I never have to worry about refunds, because I know what I buy before I buy it or because the product is so cheap that it doesn't really matter. I've been using Steam since its inception and I've never had any problems. Anecdotal argument, but still...

Also, it seems a clear distinction needs to be made between consoles and pc. That said, I voted for both, even though I solely buy digital. I see the collector's value and how strongly people feel about having to 'own' something.

And how many times has it gone wrong lately? A lot...

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#60 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

i only buy physical copies . i like collecting limited and special editions

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#61 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

I went digital back in 2012, more convient for me, plus I don't trade in my games. I buy what I think I like, and it works out for me.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@The_Last_Ride said:

Well, that's the problem: what does 'a lot' mean? how much is 'a lot'? What are the actual percentages?

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

physical.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 The_Last_Ride

@loafofgame said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Well, that's the problem: what does 'a lot' mean? how much is 'a lot'? What are the actual percentages?

Battlefield 4, SimCity, Driveclub, Diablo 3, Halo MCC, Batman Arkham Knight, War Z, Earth: 2044, Motorbike, etc

Avatar image for hikarutakaheshi
HikaruTakaheshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 HikaruTakaheshi
Member since 2015 • 29 Posts

Well I could get used to the digital versions, they are way easier, but the prices in my country at leas twice of the physical version

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 loafofgame
@The_Last_Ride said:
@loafofgame said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Battlefield 4, SimCity, Driveclub, Diablo 3, Halo MCC, Batman Arkham Knight, War Z, Earth: 2044, Motorbike, etc

Yeah, doesn't seem to be that much, considering the amount of games coming out every year. Besides, a bit of hesitance in purchasing and a bit of pre-launch research and those problems can be avoided. But well, the general consumer seems impulsive and lazy... That seems to be a far bigger problem.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 The_Last_Ride

@loafofgame said:
@The_Last_Ride said:
@loafofgame said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Yeah, doesn't seem to be that much, considering the amount of games coming out every year. Besides, a bit of hesitance in purchasing and a bit of pre-launch research and those problems can be avoided. But well, the general consumer seems impulsive and lazy... That seems to be a far bigger problem.

It isn't acceptable to release those game

AQWBlaZer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 422

#68 AQWBlaZer91
Member since 2010 • 869 Posts

I always buy the games in physical form.

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#69 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:
@loafofgame said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

How exactly would refund policies in physical stores be better in situations like this where technically there is nothing wrong with the physical game? You can easily exchange the game for another copy, but that isn't going to help the situation.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 loafofgame
@The_Last_Ride said:

It isn't acceptable to release those game

How acceptable it is depends on the consumer.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 The_Last_Ride

@judog1 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:
@loafofgame said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

How exactly would refund policies in physical stores be better in situations like this where technically there is nothing wrong with the physical game? You can easily exchange the game for another copy, but that isn't going to help the situation.

If the game is broken as hell it will

XCrimsonxSynX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 XCrimsonxSynX
Member since 2015 • 928 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Same here. I also buy digital game sales. Sometimes I don't get a game right away, but after 6 months or so I'll check it out.

onionking108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74  Edited By onionking108
Member since 2007 • 193 Posts

Physical. I'm very nostalgic and I just love the look of my shelves. Plus I'm still not huge on Internet connectivity constantly, so physical makes more sense for me

Plus, if you wait a bit, you can often find a cheaper deal for the physical copy via Amazon or ebay. I'm very much a collector.

Bruujah81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Bruujah81
Member since 2015 • 12 Posts

@GameSpot: digital any day of the week. Doesn't matter how careful you are wth the disc it will always be scratched somehow and you have thrown your money in the sea..

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 5

#76  Edited By VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

Both. On PC digital games seem more and more preferable as they are easy to be managed via one's digital game library; moreover, downloading games (e.g., via Steam) usually includes them being kept up-to-date. On console I mostly prefer(red) physical copies, but next-gen games now have to be installed on the HDD anyway in order to be played, so not having to remove discs might even be more comfortable. On the Vita, on the other hand, I often prefer buying the game on cartridge since the memory cards are so expensive...

One argument against the digital, though: physical copies are still easier to be traded...

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#77 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Digital.

cheaper, quicker, easier, better for the environment.

jonzilla_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#78 jonzilla_basic
Member since 2002 • 2334 Posts

@GameSpot: I love having the physical copies!

Nymphonomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Nymphonomicon
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts

I don't see why we can't support both. Current gen consoles have considerable hard drives, so you can download a fair supply of games and put that disc drive to good use playing physical copies.

starkiller410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 starkiller410
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts

I Like To Do Both. I Will Buy Physical Went I Plan To Trade In To Get Something Else. I Will Buy Digital If It's Something I Want And It Is On Sale.

LordCrash88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#81  Edited By LordCrash88
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

All digital. Haven't bought a single boxed games in months but dozens of digital ones only the in the past view weeks. Only console folks, people living at the north pole or people living in the past still buy games on a disc... :P

Praise Lord Gaben!

wickedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#82 wickedd
Member since 2004 • 66 Posts

For me it's most of the time all about money. Besides the games I wanto to have a physical copy (GTA5, Witcher 3, some others) I will get a digital in a heartbeat if it's 1/4 price of the physical.

Ethario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Ethario
Member since 2014 • 196 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: refund policies... I have played games all my life and have never asked for a refund. Maybe you should do some research on the product you buy before purchasing.

ccanfield1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 ccanfield1
Member since 2009 • 55 Posts

@GameSpot: Usually I buy physical disc video games because it has resale value. I'll buy digital if it is a good sale price though

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 The_Last_Ride

@ethario said:

@The_Last_Ride: refund policies... I have played games all my life and have never asked for a refund. Maybe you should do some research on the product you buy before purchasing.

So if it is so stupid to do it, why did Batman Arkham Knight pull their game on steam? Reason? Refund policy... I have never asked for a refund either. But if a game is broken, you are entitled for a refund

xmads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 xmads
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts

i don't even have a disc drive in my computer and have not needed one since i build the computer 2 years ago. does not mean that i wont buy a physical copy of a really good game just to have it on the shelf,but i mostly dont.

Bravo632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Bravo632
Member since 2015 • 207 Posts

Generally speaking It makes more sense for having older games as physical copy, where the game would just run as intended - no game update is required to be downloaded to run the game with glitch fixes.

Nowadays I just go full digital for PC games (thanks to Steam), since backward compatibility is not an concern as to older console releases (hint: PS3, PSP, PSVita)

It all varies on which system you're talking about, for example:

• For PSP games - they're not all available digitally unfortunately, so physical copies will tend to add value as old retro games
  • For PSVita, you're required to rely on the PSN region which you have selected - going digitally is a pain with it at some point, you would need a memory card per each region for example
  • PS3 games - how long would Sony host servers to support PS3 users from downloading their games digitally? You just hope your PS3 system hard disk would not die on you in the future

Digital copies are very convenient, they save space if that's a big concern which is to most collectors.

I used my examples from Sony systems in general, the same can also be applied on other consoles for the same too.

Hope that made sense.

4am

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 4am
Member since 2015 • 28 Posts

First things first: digital downloads are very convenient and something I've occasionally resorted to. However...

As someone who's been playing video games for a few years now, some of my most treasured possessions are those old 8-bit cassette cases and carts with their inlays and associated artwork. I can still load any of them and play them today.

I think it's a real shame that many of you who are avid players now aren't going to be able to have tangible assets of your own to get all misty-eyed over in a few years time.

Because you'll probably wish you had.

Smurggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Smurggel
Member since 2015 • 37 Posts

For console I prefer physical, because of the great feeling I get by inserting the disc. I'm serious, it's pretty sad. Looking at my physical game collection also feels better than looking at my digital, which I have on PC.
As long as the physical copy isn't much more expensive than the digital one I will probably buy it. But for PC I think I prefer digital games. The only thing I do if it's a physical copy is taking the code in the box, write it on Steam or whatever, and then hide the box. If it's not a cool special edition, of course.

Ethario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Ethario
Member since 2014 • 196 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: Like I said do some damn research about your product. I was hyped as shit for the new Batman, it came out it got horrible reviews for pc because of bugs, fps limit cap etc I DIDNT BUY A BROKEN PRODUCT

Francois_L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Francois_L
Member since 2015 • 45 Posts

Digital for pc and physical for console

airboygt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 airboygt
Member since 2005 • 137 Posts

Physical Games mostly.
Digital for indies, and retro emulation.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 The_Last_Ride

@ethario said:

@The_Last_Ride: Like I said do some damn research about your product. I was hyped as shit for the new Batman, it came out it got horrible reviews for pc because of bugs, fps limit cap etc I DIDNT BUY A BROKEN PRODUCT

So if you buy a bread, and you get home and it's totally rotten and bad inside you don't want a refund?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#95 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9412 Posts

Digital. Physical media is obsolete.

@xmads said:

i don't even have a disc drive in my computer and have not needed one since i build the computer 2 years ago. does not mean that i wont buy a physical copy of a really good game just to have it on the shelf,but i mostly dont.

Heh. Yeah I can't think of any more useless PC components.

Azure64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Azure64bit
Member since 2015 • 54 Posts

Physical all the way for me.

Avatar image for lucianocasanova
lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 lucianocasanova
Member since 2014 • 813 Posts

Both are equally good.

GeorgeBouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#98  Edited By GeorgeBouie
Member since 2014 • 47 Posts

In my opinion, digital games are more popular these days.