gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

While many games have gotten the silver screen treatment, two (seemingly obvious) series have avoided it. Bethesda's Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Apparently, this isn't from Hollywood's lack of trying, they've apparently shot down every proposal for a movie they've ever gotten.

According to executive Pete Hines; the company sees video games as the "best form of entertainment in the world." Retaining the kind of creative control necessary to faithfully adapt Fallout or The Elder Scrolls for the silver screen would be a tall order--it might not even be possible.

So it got us thinking. If you had to pick one, which do you think would make the better movie -- Fallout or Elder Scrolls?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44364 Posts

Both would make for a good movie but chose Fallout just for something a bit different.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I prefer movie base on modernity of future than the old far past.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Fallout prefer the setting

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

I wouldn't watch either, most game movies are an embarrassment to gaming culture.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Elder Scrolls. There are already plenty of post apocalypse films and Fallout is heavily inspired by a few of them.

Apocfuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Apocfuzz
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

I'd rather see Elder Scrolls. I feel like there's just so many post apocalyptic movies out already.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

dude id pay for a fallout movie

hell yes mad max was friggin so fun i want a deeper quieter version and i love book of eli an all those kinda movies

imagine mutants an stuff an weird things that'd be such a great movie and you can do the master from fallout 1 that evil thingie

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44633 Posts

Fallout, but it'd have to be a TV miniseries as it's too much to cram into 120 minutes.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@GameSpot: There haven't been that many games in the fantasy structure like Skyrim. There have been many with post apocalyptic setting though

Warsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 Warsilver
Member since 2010 • 291 Posts

Not even close. Fallout easily has the better storylines.

skynight1729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 skynight1729
Member since 2014 • 26 Posts

Absolutely fallout

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Elder Scrolls. The fallout setting is not as fun and the back story is too strange to be easily explained.

sumokoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sumokoten
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts

One of the other posters says that the fallout backstory is too complex to explain but I don't think so. The Book of Eli is pretty much fallout with a religious angle, that movie had a nuclear apocalypse that destroyed civilisation as it's backstory. They even added the twist of religion being blamed and almost all copies of the bible being tracked down and destroyed. I think they explained that pretty well in the movie, why couldn't they do it for fallout?

In terms of genre fantasy is more popular than sci-fi but I much prefer sci-fi, although for sci-fi to be good in my opinion, it needs to be a little more cerebral whereas fantasy can get away with a hack n slash theme and still be fun.

Fallout all the way for me! Just have to make it good and do justice to the IP.

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

Neither one, really. Fallout was already hugely influenced by a variety of post apocalyptic movies such as A Boy and His Dog which had underground vaults, Mad Max which gave the franchise it's particular look, etc. I don't see how Fallout would really stand out in the film industry, post apocalyptic movies are already a pretty broad subgenre.

Same with The Elder Scrolls. To really pull off an epic fantasy narrative on the screen, I think that HBO's Game of Thrones is the best we've seen. I don't see an Elder Scrolls movie really competing with that. The Elder Scrolls' world isn't all that special, but it's very fleshed out through the books we can read. So I think that The Elder Scrolls excels in the video game field but wouldn't make a mark in the movie industry.

I wouldn't be interested in either one. Then again, I vastly prefer video games to movies as it is.

benny_boy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 benny_boy98
Member since 2015 • 485 Posts

To many films like elder scrolls where as there doesn't tend to be many films wwith a fallout setting apart from mad max and book of eli

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Fallout. Just look at what Mad Max has accomplished.

Meanwhile we have more than enough tolkien-esque fantasy movies.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I don't particularly want either to happen, but Fallout would be better by far. Skyrim would make an abysmal movie, Oblivion+Morrowind *maybe* ok, but would really need talented writing to do something that had a strong identity and didn't just cater to the lowest common swordsfireballsanddamsels denominator. Fallout could totally bomb too and be uber generic in the wrong hands, of course, but I think there's a more compelling framework there for a film. Survival/Adventure/Horror mash-up with it, without overreliance on CGI Super Mutants in lieu of developing other facets of the world and it could be good

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#19 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I can't see either working out very well in movie form. Sure, there's a lot of lore and everything with plenty of possible stories to tell. But I just can't see a 2 hour film capturing the amazing worlds of both of these series and also telling a really good story.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#20 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Fallout film in a Fallout 2 setting with a deathclaw and Sulik as companions. Good luck with that!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56290 Posts

Fallout movie.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Neither. Fallout and Elder Scrolls are only good because they let the player be part of an incredible, immersive, and expansive world with some intriguing lore surrounding it all. The actual plots in these two franchises completely suck ass though.

There already exists fantastic films/television shows in the post-apoclaypic and medieval fantasy settings.

Sorry, can't see either Fallout or Elder Scrolls working outside of video games. I voted Fallout though, because I think the games have a tad more personality and unique style to draw from.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Fallout.

ES will be just a mix of LOTR and Game Of Thrones.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Both would be equally as good imo, but it depends if you like that medieval fantasy setting, or the retro futuristic setting.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

*Cough* Book of Eli

Gagomkd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26 Gagomkd
Member since 2009 • 287 Posts

I like TES more than Fallout but the latter would make for an easier adaptation and I think the writers would have greater freedom writing the plot.

SanitySoldOut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SanitySoldOut
Member since 2015 • 82 Posts

Well i've always prefered the stories in Fallout. New Vegas could have had a bit more beef to it but there were great side stories.

But both would be great, done right. Don't give me that half-assed, overhyped rubbish.

Madc0w1011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Madc0w1011
Member since 2016 • 39 Posts

I would prefer neither one makes it to film. Because in film you can no longer create your character or make them yours. Would the film based on elder scrolls make the main character a vampire or a werewolf? What would the main characters race be? These are things that would ruin an elder scrolls film for many individuals. A Fallout film wouldn't have as many issues with creating the main character and I could see it working if it followed along a main quest line, but only focusing on that. Still games that get the big screen touch seem to bomb drastically.

Avatar image for tournamentgamer
TournamentGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TournamentGamer
Member since 2016 • 12 Posts

Absolutely fallout