Do you think Nintendo is sticking with cartridges from here on out?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I'm a digital only gamer now but I think it probably makes sense. Especially if their future consoles are going to be following the Switch.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes.

captainzoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 captainzoli
Member since 2019 • 13 Posts

For the foreseeable future at least.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#4 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@speeny said:

I'm a digital only gamer now but I think it probably makes sense. Especially if their future consoles are going to be following the Switch.

Yes, Nintendo should stay in the handheld\tablet business. They excel at it. The rom\carts are the best option for software distribution.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I really like cartridges. I think for as long as Nintendo is making game systems, they will use a cartridge format.

It's more expensive, but the games have no moving parts and can't be scratched. Discs have their definite advantages, but I think as time goes on and technology gets cheaper, we will even probably see other game companies consider alternative formats for physical games.

I also think a lot of people at Sony and Microsoft have to be looking at Nintendo and realizing... Wow, this company is really holding their own with less-powerful hardware, and maybe there are some advantages to not just making a console that is basically a gaming PC.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Speeny
@Ovirew said:

I really like cartridges. I think for as long as Nintendo is making game systems, they will use a cartridge format.

It's more expensive, but the games have no moving parts and can't be scratched. Discs have their definite advantages, but I think as time goes on and technology gets cheaper, we will even probably see other game companies consider alternative formats for physical games.

I also think a lot of people at Sony and Microsoft have to be looking at Nintendo and realizing... Wow, this company is really holding their own with less-powerful hardware, and maybe there are some advantages to not just making a console that is basically a gaming PC.

Great points.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34699 Posts

I hope so. They're tiny and cool.

greenmario27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 greenmario27
Member since 2019 • 3 Posts

Yes, because they're far smaller, and since nintendo makes their systems a bit on the older cheaper hardware side they don't need the extra space a disk offers, plus if they keep investigating on how to make bigger cartridges they may even make them with the same space as a disk. If they try to make portable systems, basically they have no other choice.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22400 Posts

@Ovirew said:

Agreed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fda9d56d5960
deactivated-5fda9d56d5960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By deactivated-5fda9d56d5960
Member since 2005 • 679 Posts

I have also gone totally digital download now for everything. As the micro SDs get cheaper and the sales for digital continue to improve eventually cartridges and discs may get replaced by download codes even if you buy the box from the store (they do have the codes on cards that look like gift cards now everywhere). I do miss the awesome box art and full length color manuals. The last physical games I bought literally would have nothing but the disc/card in them, kinda boring…

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Speeny

@dreamdust: I’ve actually just started collecting physically again. I guess I just wanted to own absolute favourites physically. For the stuff I don’t end up liking, sell it. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5fda9d56d5960
deactivated-5fda9d56d5960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

User Lists: 19

#13 deactivated-5fda9d56d5960
Member since 2005 • 679 Posts

@speeny: Some of the collector's editions are very tempting, if done right. I really dig OSTs and artbooks.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Speeny

@dreamdust: I personally haven’t purchased any collector’s editions in a long time now. Just fine with the main game. That, and I’m running out of space. Lol.

Thanks for the follow by the way!

DList4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DList4ever
Member since 2019 • 213 Posts

Carts are just more portable and it's as simple as that.

In fact, listen closely and you will hear anyone who is even remotely old enough to remember that f*(&)ing CD player skipping and/or freezing up entirely every time the car hit the slightest bump in the damned road cackling like mad every time they hear some young fool complain about the Switch not having BluRay.

:D

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Discs are dying. Just like how Solid State Drives are replacing the spinning disc hard drive.

The cartridges aren't that expensive to make, the capacity is endless (see micro sd advancements), and they're more durable. Sounds like a remedy for success to me.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#17 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Another related question is would Nintendo ever return to home console business? Just dont see them ever doing anything like PlayStation did with the UMD.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

Cartridge has been the standard of most video game worlds for like forever now and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. More than likely there will be all digital game systems in the future.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34699 Posts

Come to think of it, I've personally not used a disc for anything for years. I'm a Nintendo / PC gamer, and last time I used a disc was for Wii U. With Nintendo not using discs anymore, I doubt I ever will again. Pretty cool. Discs suck.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

Yep I think cartridges are what most Nintendo consoles will use for the future. All though they could just go digital only as what the PC games seem to be doing.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#21 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Yes. Less moving parts.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I would say yes Nintendo will stick with cartridges for what ever system follows the Switch in 2024 ish. Nintendo will just release a better version of their current game card. Cartridges are more expensive but I still have a soft spot for them.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

They will certainly not return to discs.