So.... The Switch Lite... You gonna get one?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Admittedly I'm sort of considering it. Seeing it in person sparked some interest.

I guess for me as an existing Switch owner, the appeal would be a less expensive Switch I could bring with me in public, less flashy and easier to carry around.

I have to think the upcoming launch of Pokemon is a big reason for it too, since I could trade locally with friends that have the game.

One concern I have is how well sharing my account between two systems will work. Supposedly this is being addressed or will be addressed soon. I also wonder if I will use it enough to merit the purchase.

I'm partial to the grey system, doesn't stand out too much. I think the yellow one could end up being the most popular, it looks kind of nice and pops a bit. Turquoise isn't bad either, I just think it might be difficult from a style perspective.

I'm still debating. What do you guys think?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts

Maybe next year.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Coolyfett just got a Switch Lite! First Nintendo system since NES. Its been that long lol. Fits right in the pocket. It is about the same size at the OG PSP, but a little thinner. Add Coolyfett and lets play SW-3991-1430-7229

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Ovirew said:

Admittedly I'm sort of considering it. Seeing it in person sparked some interest.

I guess for me as an existing Switch owner, the appeal would be a less expensive Switch I could bring with me in public, less flashy and easier to carry around.

I have to think the upcoming launch of Pokemon is a big reason for it too, since I could trade locally with friends that have the game.

One concern I have is how well sharing my account between two systems will work. Supposedly this is being addressed or will be addressed soon. I also wonder if I will use it enough to merit the purchase.

I'm partial to the grey system, doesn't stand out too much. I think the yellow one could end up being the most popular, it looks kind of nice and pops a bit. Turquoise isn't bad either, I just think it might be difficult from a style perspective.

I'm still debating. What do you guys think?

switching between accounts. everything you need to know

Loading Video...

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

no.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22400 Posts

I already have a Switch, so no.

But the Lite is perfect for those that want to play Ninty's exclusives, without having to spend too much.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

It's cool, I could see myself getting one if I didn't already have a Switch. But I have a Switch, and I play it docked a majority of the time.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

NO

If I want another Switch it's going to be the orginal model, the 100 bux difference is no object.

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 SBan83
Member since 2019 • 119 Posts

I'm really thinking of getting it. Question...will existing Switch cartridges work with Switch Lite??

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@sban83 said:

I'm really thinking of getting it. Question...will existing Switch cartridges work with Switch Lite??

of course

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

No, I already have a Switch. And I rarely play it in portable mode unless I'm pooping

NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#12 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts

I'm tempted by it, since I travel a lot. I own a PS4, but I've hardly played it because of that. The price of the console is OK, but some of the games are way too steep in price, especially Skyrim.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

So since I ended up getting one, I guess I'll give my ten cents on the purchasing decision.

First of all, system is pretty great. Very lightweight, definitely prefer to take it along in public over the regular switch. And the screen size is fine in my opinion.

There are some downsides and unexpected issues that some of you might be unaware of, however:

1. You can update your save progress via the cloud between two systems, but this is tedious and you'll likely only use it for certain games. So when you play Pokemon on the go, or somesuch, you will have to remember to upload your save data and then download it on your home console before the next time you play.

2. You can match current versions of software with nearby consoles, however, I think both systems need to be able to go online in order to do this? I might not be 100% correct on that one.

3. You can trade save data between systems. BUT, you can only send data one way, it is erased from the system you trade it from.

4. Splatoon 2 is an odd case. It is an online shooter, but does not use cloud save backup, and none of your progress is stored anywhere except for your console. This means that whenever you start playing Splatoon 2 on the Switch Lite, you are starting a brand new save file, and can't access any of your old data with the Lite. Not a big issue for me personally, since I kind of wanted to restart, but it is a major inconvenience for most people.

5. One thing you might overlook is that you will need to download any updates and DLC for all of your owned games before you can play them. Make sure you have a good wifi spot for downloading from.

6. You will likely want to purchase another microSD card for your Lite. I got a smaller-capacity one for my Lite. The system has quite a bit of internal memory, but I am sure that won't take terribly long to fill up.

7. This should be common knowledge, but you can't play most games on the lite that require alternative control methods, or else you might be able to but will need to buy the supported controller to play it with.

8. A lot of accessories for the Switch may or may not work with the Switch Lite, and there isn't a whole lot of official Switch Lite stuff out yet aside from the system itself. If you're hoping to pick up a case you might need to wait a while, and if you want to buy an adjustable charging stand I am not sure if that is compatible with the Lite yet or not.

9. Some games will look better than others on the Lite. A game with tons of detail and super-tiny font to read will not be ideal for this. It makes sense why this was launched alongside the Link's Awakening remake - because it pops well on the Lite's screen!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Nay, I have no use for it. Already have a Switch, don't need the gimped one.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

* Nods slowly * I still feel as though Nintendo used the Wii U as a beta test for the switch, and I'm not too happy about it, but I guess I'll go ahead and get the lite since it's only $200.

NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts

I've decided against buying the Lite now. I'm going to purchase the updated original switch. With sturdier joycons on the updated switch, true to colour and brighter screen, better battery life than original and lite. I think Nintendo made enough improvements to go with that one instead. The ability to dock and play in tabletop on a bigger screen wins out for me.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#17 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 363 Posts

I got one, traded my Switch for it. I'm very happy with it, I mainly care about the portability and the original Switch was too big and clunky for my liking.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

I'm thinking of getting one towards the end of the month to play links awakening loved that game as a kid.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#19 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

Some of my friends are already using the lite now but I just wanted the regular with a better battery so just upgraded that, and since the Switch has gotten far more use.

Usually still play in portable mode but the better battery life is always the winning factor for me.

Plus, even if I don't use the Switch on the television much it's good to have the option.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

I really kind of like having both. I sort of prefer to play certain games on the Lite, and others on my original Switch. I think the transfer of save data locally would be great for people who own both. But the requirement of online access to exchange cloud save data kind of makes me keep that division there a bit.

neojotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 neojotic
Member since 2019 • 24 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I already have a Switch, so no.

But the Lite is perfect for those that want to play Ninty's exclusives, without having to spend too much.

I have a Switch already so it's also a no for me. Even if I didn't I would still go for the original Switch. Being able to link it to the TV and change your joy cons is a necessity.

Sure, the Lite is a good option for those who aren't looking to break the bank but honestly, it's a better deal for Nintendo. This is a play to grow their market. The Lite is plagued with that joy con issue. You would think after all the flaws with the first one the next version would be problem free.

The Switch has somewhat been a comeback for Nintendo after some dreadful years but it's been a far from perfect way to right the ship. I'm curious to see what their strategy is for Gen 9.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#23 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I considered it, but really wanted to have full capabilities with the Switch Heavy so I bought that

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#25 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Just to add along with my previous post, my sister got one today actually. So it will be good to play games like Animal Crossing: New Horizons with her once it's released.