Are your hobbies consumption or creation?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

Generally speaking, are your hobbies on the creative side ( writing, cooking, woodworking etc.. ) where you are creating something new, or on the consumption side ( reading, videogames, movies, etc... ) where you are consuming the work of others?

I guess fitness / sports would fall in to the "neither" category here.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

Both! I love to cook (create) and eat (consume)!

@comp_atkins said:

Generally speaking, are your hobbies on the creative side ( writing, cooking, woodworking etc.. ) where you are creating something new, or on the consumption side ( reading, videogames, movies, etc... ) where you are consuming the work of others?

I guess fitness / sports would fall in to the "neither" category here.

Fitness and sports I would say fall into creative or if only because they are productive.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

Creation

• Writing
  • Mathematics
  • Art (drawing a comic, that is too disturbing for me to want to publish)

Neither

• Cycling

Consumption

• Reading
  • Video Games
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8781 Posts

I have both. But I definitely have been weighing heavily on the consumption side this year (books, video games, arcade games).

On the creation side I play bass guitar. Have made collages in the past, as well.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17845 Posts

Definitely consumption. Basically playing games, watching TV, listening to music.

...I suppose registering my general disgust on the internet is a form of creation....right? :P.

I struggle with maintaining the patience to create things or taking the time to learn the things i need to be able to create a thing. I have loads of ideas and absolutely 0 focus. I mean right now i'm thinking of writing a 3D software renderer for a little handheld device that lacks a GPU. Will I do it? Probably not. I'll see the maths involved and probably leg it :P.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

Depends on the day.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3449 Posts

I love making music and listen to music. To eat and to cook. To play games and to make games. Like to play around with video too. I'm a creative and a consumer.

I also like trekking, running and diving. Which are hobbies not about consumption or creation, maybe more about exploration, which is an aspect I deeply value in games.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts

Consumption, mostly. I love reading and watching sports (especially hockey).

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 513 Posts

Bit of both honestly. I read more than I play anymore. It keeps my mind sharper than playing a video game. I do some woodworking, but my main time sponge is home improvement and general house maintenance. Upkeep on your home takes alot of effort, but adding equity to your home is the most satisfying thing. It's a great feeling to learn how to work on something yourself and build a self sufficient skill set for future fixes.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

Creation

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59121 Posts

Creation for sure. Got into 3D modeling about 2-3 years back, donno how many hours sunk into Blender but it's a lot.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59121 Posts

@girlusocrazy: Udemy is like an online school. The prices are £200 - £300 but 90% of the time they have steep sales where they are actually £10 - £15, so if you just want to randomly learn something, anything, can take a punt.

And Blender unlike other software is 100% free. Can download it off Steam right now with no bullshit attached.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

Little of both, though, I guess, the main hobby, which is now playing guitar, is creative one.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

I'm lean more toward consumption rather than creation, though I do have both. If I had to put a percentage to it, I would say 30% create, 70% consume. The issue is that though I can create and I'm good at it, I don't find pleasure in them. For example: I can draw, but I don't like to draw as a hobby. I will draw if someone requests a design from me, but other than that, I have zero enjoyment out of it. I mostly read things now'a day.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Consumption

Kitkat60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kitkat60
Member since 2023 • 4 Posts

I used to draw and I had a really guge collection of my arts but now my hobby is only creating UI landing pages

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Some of those go hand-in-hand. I make gaming videos on YouTube.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

I'd say it's a mix that leans more towards consumption. Obviously tv, movies, and books are all consumption, as well as audiobooks and podcasts which I probably consume more of than any of the first three.

As far as creation goes, a lot of it is more in collaboration with my wife with ger taking the lead. For example, she has written a short story called "The Mad Queen" for which I helped her figure out the the big ending, and she is currently writing a book called Ambition's Revenge where I'm essentially a co-auther. She created the world and characters and much of the story, and I read it and help her come up with the next thing based on what she's written. It's sort like a puzzle that I help both finish and come up with new pieces for along the way. For example there's an upcoming villain that's been mentioned in a couple of different ways, but not yet written as a character and we were discussing what his character motivations would be so we could figure out how he would react to the two protagonists when they met and I eventually suggested that my wife go back and write his backstory to better write the upcoming scenes and now she's going to do that. I've also come up with really f***ed scenarios that she's written into the book with some existing characters and some new ones.

As far as personal creation hobbies, I got really into creating my own bitters, and extracts a few years ago, which mostly consists of soaking various food items in vodka such as vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, lavender, rose petals, etc for weeks or months at a time. For bitters you do the same thing and then mix the flavors, along with a bittering agent that is also mixed in vodka (for me this was wild cherry bark, but there's plenty options). Beyond that, I also enjoy learning to cook new things.

The creation hobbies are more fun to talk about than the consumption ones I think.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#23  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19617 Posts

Nowadays, my hobbies are more on the creative side and less on the consumption side.

gamergirl1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamergirl1313
Member since 2023 • 1 Posts

I have numerous creative hobbies, and among them, cosplaying is one of my absolute favorites. I've heard that Gamespark boasts a thriving video game cosplay community. Are there any fellow enthusiasts here who enjoy cosplaying? I also really like to paint, and I collect dolls.