SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6955 Posts

In no way, shape or form should you consider this thread an investment recommendation.

Black mass is the name given to shredded and partially recycled batteries. It is basically the first steps in recovery of the valuable minerals. It seems to be an intermediary step where further refinement and separation is required.

I bring your attention to this because I follow the EV market and have seen so much disinformation around 'batteries will go to landfill'. I was already aware that a number of recycling facilities are in operation and I have been adamant that the minerals are too valuable to be thrown out.

What is new (for me) is the potential for this to be traded as an intermediary on global metals indices. In short, people will be able to trade it like gold, silver, platinum, etc.

S&P Global Commodity news release

Visuals, process, and more info

I view this as a very important step in EV battery recycling and evidence that capitalism is great at adjusting to new opportunities.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

Yeah people can get cynical when it comes to recycling and use it as an excuse to be personally wasteful, but there is A LOT of money in recycling en masse, especially when it comes to rare earth metals and electronics.

It's one of the great, pragmatic arguments about why we need to convert to renewables resources, foster even more recycling initiatives, and eventually convert to nuclear and finally green energy alternatives. These are not exactly new industries, they just haven't been fully utilized because there is already infrastructure in place for their more damaging alternatives.

But there is trillions of dollars of profit out there and millions of jobs to be created in "green" initiatives.

I will definitely be watching for new companies focusing in these sectors. Did not know it was called "black mass" @SUD123456 thanks for the info. Kind of cryptic given the meaning of "black mass" but whatever.