DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

So there are some things to be concerned about this film. The studio almost fired Pattinson and he was told to not do whatever he was doing. He was also criticized for not getting into shape. I've never seen Twilight but I did see Cosmopolis and he was good in that. I am having some doubts just looking at the trailer, however. But, oh, do I want it to be good. Catwoman is beautiful too.

What are your thoughts on this film? Are you going to see it in theaters, stream it, or at all?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

Unfortunately, while as a kid loved the character and prob fav superhero dude, just been barraged with him to the point he's now kinda boring.

Like, well, Snyder didn't work. Lets go back to Nolan, but make it angrier and more angst.

Seems more like Judge Dredd.

Looking forward to seeing Michael Keaton. Even if it's cheaply using nostalgia to excite my old balding ass. He's kinda my live-action Batman. Using him for something like Batman Beyond be down with.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2449 Posts

I'll watch it in a cinema. But it looks pretentious.

Director:

In my view, I just feel drawn to finding the grounded version of everything. So to me it would be a challenge in an interesting way to try and figure out how that could happen, even the idea of something like Mr. Freeze, that such a great story, right? I think there's actually a grounded version of that story, which could be really powerful and could be really great. So, I love the fantastical side of Batman, but this iteration, obviously, while being, to me, I think it is very comics faithful, but I don't think that this one is necessarily, it doesn't lean as hard into the fantastical, I guess. But I think to me what would be interesting would be to try and unwind the fantastical and see, well, how could that make sense here? And so that's kind of my view, how I see it.

"Grounded everything," lol. The sequel won't have Freeze. Even if it does, he won't be anything like the Freeze you know. He won't instantly freeze things with an ice gun. He'll probably walk around in a hazmat suit or some shit and spread a virus that gradually crystalizes cells. Because Warner Brothers can't deal with the fact that Batman was intended for kids and teens. Clayface, Freeze, Man-Bat, Poison Ivy, immortal Ra's al Ghul, not happening. Not without totally gimping them. Sort of like Bane, who doesn't even get his veins pumped with Venom in TDKR. Being gritty and realistic makes it important, don't you know? Can't have Batman in a textile outfit either. Full armor or it's not getting greenlit.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Im hopeful it would be good. Reeves has made some good films in the past, but I still think Pattinson is a poor choice for Batman.

That said, I have only seen Pattinson in two movies, Tenent and an art house firm, I think called The Lighthouse, which I didn’t like.

I suspect the film will be good, but it would be considered inferior to the Bale/Nolan trilogy.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Patterson can act, he was great in the Lighthouse. I'm on the "this has a lot of potential" team. I will say I've only watched the first trailer as I'm not keen on movies getting ruined by showing everything off in all the trailers on still release.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uninspiredcup

@warm_gun: Gotta agree, does kind of sound abit "i'm above this".

Heart Of Ice is generally considered one of the best TAS episodes not because of its fantastical elements but because of the basic underlying theme and execution.

Same with something like Baby Doll, which should be the dumbest shit ever but ends up being one of the best moments.

Loading Video...

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

It looks potentially good. We've seen the Batman again and again so this needs to be a fresh take on the character. The darker neo-noir direction Matt Reeves is supposedly aiming for could be an intriguing premise. Hopefully the execution will do it justice and the film won't be just "Edgy Batman".

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7314 Posts

I like that they are going for more of a detective story, but am disappointed it seems to be another "Gotham City is under siege" thing. We've had plenty of large scale threats in Batman movies, I was hoping this would be smaller. Like, Riddler tormenting a handful of people that the audience actually gets time to know and care about. If the director really wants a grounded, gritty, realistic Batman, the overall stakes should come down a notch too.

All that said, I think this movie could be cool. Here's to hoping anyway.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

I'm just indifferent to this release. I think I'm just burned out on Batman in general, and another movie isn't exciting anymore. Everything has to be high stakes--usually with the fate of the city hanging in the balance--and always with someone from his Rogues' Gallery. I would be more interested in seeing a more low key movie with an original criminal. who's not intimidated by his weapons or mythos. It might not be action heavy, so make it a miniseries, and throw it on HBO Max. It be a different change of pace, at least.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

@hallenbeck77 said:

I'm just indifferent to this release. I think I'm just burned out on Batman in general, and another movie isn't exciting anymore. Everything has to be high stakes--usually with the fate of the city hanging in the balance--and always with someone from his Rogues' Gallery. I would be more interested in seeing a more low key movie with an original criminal. who's not intimidated by his weapons or mythos. It might not be action heavy, so make it a miniseries, and throw it on HBO Max. It be a different change of pace, at least.

Pretty much described Mask Of Phantasm.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@uninspiredcup: Really, I did? Huh.

I just want something where the stakes are not so extreme--how many times can they do a story where millions of Gotham's citizens are at risk? I want a smaller, intimate story, where he tries to save the life of maybe just one person. It's may not be as exciting but could be compelling to see.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Warm_Gun
@hallenbeck77 said:

I just want something where the stakes are not so extreme--how many times can they do a story where millions of Gotham's citizens are at risk? I want a smaller, intimate story, where he tries to save the life of maybe just one person. It's may not be as exciting but could be compelling to see.

You just described Batman and Mr. Freeze: Subzero. Was weird to watch a movie where the plot was just Batgirl getting kidnapped (for Nora). The last animation to use the original Animated Series art style.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15943 Posts

Its another origin movie idk how many times I can take batman naivety and justice, just kill those fuckers.

Which why kind of disappointed Batfleck didnt want to continue. About time we get a very jaded batman who is angry towards the world. Too bad Justice League happened and killed his anger.

Definitely day 1 tho.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Warm_Gun

@sakaixx said:

Its another origin movie

Source?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup
@hallenbeck77 said:

Think said before, but IMO Mask Of Phantasm is very obviously a low-key remake of Batman Returns, better done.

Plotline is exactly as highlighted, Andrea (Phantasm) stands in for what Batman could be. Have Batman setup, almost scene per scene, extremely similar to Returns, only without the grandiose plot of Penguin trying to murder everyone. Joker effectively stands in for Max Schreck. Andrea more of a coherent and compassionate character than Selina Kyle.

Basically a cult classic at this point. Bit of a flop on release, poor marketing.

Unrelatedish, love to see the original cut of Batman Forever. Not expecting some sort of masterpiece, but would certainly be interesting.

Joel Schamumacker being able to make something more tonally like Returns, while keeping his totally comic book aesthetics seems like a missed opportunity. A lot of the basic plot was ripped out.

Loading Video...

Actually really liked Batman Forever as a kid. As an adult, obv stupid as hell, but has that zip zam boop comic feel. He didn't even refer to it as a movie but a "comic book".

Loading Video...
sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15943 Posts

@warm_gun: it will set around year 2 of batman existence. Not that fresh or experienced. Just another batman origin movie to me the whole batman still learning.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DEVILinIRON

@uninspiredcup: Interesting stuff. Never was into Batman Forever but now I can at least appreciate it a bit more. My step-brother couldn't stop watching Batman Forever on DVD. That giant bat is creepy as f*ck.

Loved Mask of the Phantasm when it came out on VHS. Haven't seen it in a while.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58382 Posts

I don't hold my breath any more for live-action DC stuff, to be frank. It's all about the animated films and series for me.

With that said, The Batman has a good cast, so hopefully it does well.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Batman is my favorite superhero so I'll be seeing it in the theater. Hopefully it's a good one. Reserving judgment until then.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup
@DEVILinIRON said:

@uninspiredcup: Interesting stuff. Never was into Batman Forever but now I can at least appreciate it a bit more. My step-brother couldn't stop watching Batman Forever on DVD. That giant bat is creepy as f*ck.

Loved Mask of the Phantasm when it came out on VHS. Haven't seen it in a while.

Same. Warn A Bro generally didn't give a shit about it until word of mouth on the internet started propping it up, gave it a Bluray release.

That bat scene gets compared to the cave-scene from Starwars, but it's partially replicated Dark Knight Returns.

After Tim Burtons Returns wanted kid friendly stuff to sell toys and shit. So obv a big ass bat and PTSD was out.

Which is a shame, it's the first Batman movie outside MOTP to give a shit about "Batman". The finished movie still has the themes of his dealing with his duality and all that, but it's all undermined by studio influence.

Joel Schumacher infamously gets flogged for his Batman stuff, Batman And Robin making studios run a mile from him, but he (with the magic of hindsight) made the best Joker movie haha

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Warm_Gun

Four months of training in 1997 to '98:

Loading Video...

CG-assisted kicks in 2020:

Loading Video...

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DEVILinIRON

@warm_gun: Impressive progress.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#24  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@DEVILinIRON:

In the trailers, I saw Pattinson's biggest weakness. He's just not intimidating at all. I'm actually worried that it will drag down the movie in a lot of its most crucial moments.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#25 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3647 Posts

Probably see it as I like Batman unless reviews are bad.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 uninspiredcup

@warm_gun: Always liked that part in Returns where he whipped out his CGI Batman Game Gear boomerang. Should be stupid as ****, but honestly, to this day it's still awesome.

Also Poodle Lady.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Warm_Gun
@uninspiredcup said:

@warm_gun: Always liked that part in Returns where he whipped out his CGI Batman Game Gear boomerang. Should be stupid as ****, but honestly, to this day it's still awesome.

Also Poodle Lady.

The idea of superheroes and villains is pretty absurd, no matter how much the filmmakers try to remove the more fantastic comic-like elements, so I want those movies to have stuff like that. Avoiding it all just makes your work look confused and pretentious. More infantile than if it just embraced what it intrinsically is. Watched Joker a few nights ago. I don't think we needed a movie about him, but if I did make one it would have been more on the comedic side, while still being a down in the dumps sort of story. As someone said in response to my Joker comments, at the end of the day it's a fucking comic book about men in tights, not a serious adult drama. I want theatricality and entertainment from Batman. Rewatching the animated series right now makes me feel that even more again.

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

Ive just given up on comic books altogether.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

Can't they make Batman more like he is in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon?

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#30 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

I hope the story is good enough. I don't know how good Pattinson will be as Bruce Wayne/Batman but we'll see. My problem is I'm biased towards Batman, which kind of ruins it for me in a way I think.

On a side note I would've liked to see more from Batfleck lol

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

I mean, I'll always be at least moderately excited for a Batman movie, keyword being moderately. I think Batman should return to a campy phase, like maybe a parody of the Adam West series or the Schumacher movies to freshen things up before going dark and moody again.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DEVILinIRON

The Batman is 2 hours and 47 minutes! WTF

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Warm_Gun
@DEVILinIRON said:

The Batman is 2 hours and 47 minutes! WTF

2 hrs 56 min

Yeah, a little annoying knowing I'll have to dehydrate for several hours before watching the movie. And I'm going in the morning to avoid crowds, so my throat will be very dry from sleeping.

Some filmmakers just don't know brevity. It's a superhero movie, not The Godfather.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@warm_gun: Never thought I'd pine for the days where a movie was under two hours. I like comic movies and all, but jeez, life's too goddamn short to be dicking around with 3 hour movies most days.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

@warm_gun: Never thought I'd pine for the days where a movie was under two hours. I like comic movies and all, but jeez, life's too goddamn short to be dicking around with 3 hour movies most days.

2 or 3 hours of a movie doesn't bother me much just so as long as the pacing is engaging of course. Lords of the Rings does it well on 3 hours long & Star Wars IMO. Also, I heard the pacing moves fast as there's no set up from early reviewers stated so it may not be such a drag. Like Warm_Gun said, I'll go in super early to avoid the crowd if possible. I'm really bum this isn't HBO Max day one showing but oh well. (I still wondering if The Batman will beat out The Dark Knight as its still the best Batman film?)

By the way, I heard there's no post-credit scene. This isn't MCU, so no point in staying for anything setting up for future Pattinson's Batman.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Warm_Gun
@davillain said:

By the way, I heard there's no post-credit scene. This isn't MCU, so no point in staying for anything setting up for future Pattinson's Batman.

I'm usually that one guy left in the cinema while the employees come in to clean. Almost always sit/stand through the credits. Although, at home, I typically make the movie into a smaller window if it's modern, especially one released this century, since everyone is credited now (caterers, web designers, lawyers, freakin' production babies/pets), the reason they had to move the credits to the ends of movies in the first place, save for the most important staff and actors.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VFighter

@warm_gun: Comic book movies can be whatever the directors want them to be, thank God they aren't all goofy nonsense.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 uninspiredcup

@hallenbeck77: That what really app about Dredd.

Like classics Predator or Robocop, super tight movie.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 uninspiredcup

Having watched it, found it "meh" boring and didn't bring anything new to the table.

Not Synder bad, just meh. It's there.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DEVILinIRON

@uninspiredcup: Darn. I take it the Riddler wasn't all that great then?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 uninspiredcup

@DEVILinIRON: Didn't feel like the Riddler at all imo.

Just some rando serial killer trope

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Saw this past Tuesday. Loved it. Probably my favorite Batman movie now.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dave123321

Very much a fan of it being first and foremost a detective story

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dave123321

@DEVILinIRON: I liked what they did with the character here but it is a pretty different take. Reeves has said that the villains in this aren’t yet what they will eventually become so we are seeing their origins. You can see some glimpses of what he might eventually become given the right guidance.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Even free tickets and free refreshments wouldn't persuade me to view this film in the theater or at home. Maybe it is my age or what ever but most of the franchises I watched growing up are not ones I will watch or have watched with the newer versions. The live action Transformers? Never saw one. James Bond with that Craig character? Nope. Batman with either this actor or the previous Bale? Same. The trailers, for any of the films I listed, do absolutely nothing to compel me.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VFighter

@Solaryellow: I mean you do you, but you're missing out on a lot of great movies. Minus the Bay transformers , they're actually ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Best Batman movie since Dark Knight. Probably even better than that. Have to watch it again soon.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Warm_Gun

One guy brought up The Long Halloween when I said it doesn't feel enough like Batman. The movie only took what wasn't too comic and out there from the graphic novel, which had an ensemble of fantastical villains. I didn't even like the graphic novel that much, but at least the soul of Batman was there in full, unrestrained.

The movie left me wanting. I just didn't find it that enjoyable. The theatricality and fun of Batman was thinned out by too much grounded realism, for a mystery story that isn't really that good. It gets muddled up in the end as yet another Gotham must pay/die disaster story, like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises. I'm tired of the idealists simply out to destroy. Was disappointed by the portrayal of Riddler, just a sad, screaming crazy person who probably wouldn't have the marbles to pull it all off anyway.

"White privilege" line really didn't need to be there, but whatever.

The hard-hitting combat was cool, but I didn't like the use of CG and Batman being able to take all those shots. Bullet-proof Batman is a boring concept. It takes so much of the sense of danger away.

Liked the look of Gotham, for the most part. The music probably had something to do with my lack of excitement/joy. I want more melodious soundtracks. Can't even recall any but the discount Imperial March. Not a fan of Nirvana. Was disappointed to learn it wasn't just part of the trailer but the movie's theme song.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

Just came back from seeing it. It was ok. Nowhere near as good as The Dark Knight. It tried too hard to be dark, disturbing, and preachy. I liked the investigation parts which helped to bring more of that detective Batman to the screen than other films. Maybe I’m just getting bored and tired, but the Batman narrating parts in the beginning and end of the film reminded me too much of Cartman’s The Coon superhero from those South Park episodes where he’s saying “this is my city” and whatnot in a gravelly voice. It’s overdone, I feel.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Warm_Gun
@poe13 said:

Maybe I’m just getting bored and tired, but the Batman narrating parts in the beginning and end of the film reminded me too much of Cartman’s The Coon superhero from those South Park episodes where he’s saying “this is my city” and whatnot in a gravelly voice. It’s overdone, I feel.

So true.