br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Slow servers, no community interaction, hell I bet the guys in charge now don't even know how to handle the (very) old code.

What are the plans for this place, I wonder?

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Been bogged down for a while. There's literally malware in the forums.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

As long as System Wars exist, I'll stick around.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14815 Posts

I bet they won't let the community know when they will close the forums. One day we won't be able to access them. They haven't answered feedback questions in the bug forums in years.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10494 Posts

the forums are in maintenance mode. no-one actively working on them so no new features or improvements, at best just an on call person or team tasked with keeping the servers up

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6  Edited By Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

Video game journalism in general is going the way of physical media; Outdated and no longer needed. It was fun while it lasted though.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@dariency: Wait, really? I'd have thought that as the number of titles released grows, so does the need for reviews and other industry coverage.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 horgen
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@dariency: Wait, really? I'd have thought that as the number of titles released grows, so does the need for reviews and other industry coverage.

Maybe they will use AI to review games?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15949 Posts

The forum seems in maintenance mode so I doubt there will be any refresh. I think the search function also broke few years ago and no action was taken. Oh well been here since the good old union days with my older acc (kinda lost the password) so I probably be here until the forum finally died.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dariency

@mattbbpl said:

Not really, at least not on a professional level. Platforms like YouTube and Twitch allow anyone to review games and do gameplay-related content, and even do it for a living. This is a big reason why G4 can't be successful today. G4 was great for video game content back in the day before video game content was readily available on demand online.

Similarly, Gamespot was a great community for gamers to gather and talk about games because back then there wasn't too much competition. Other sites may of had forums and written reviews but Gamespot had a lot of video coverage not seen anywhere else, from their weekly On The Spot show to their extensive E3 coverage. But when everyone started posting gameplay videos on YouTube and video game news started being leaked way ahead of time, appeal for these services really declined eventually leading to E3 being outright cancelled due to "lack of interest". Times really have changed.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

We need avatars.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

Slowly stripping it all away... the unions, the reviews, many of the collection features, like/dislike system, avatars... we are dinosaurs.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dariency

I still see avatars on the desktop site. They must just be hidden on mobile.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39335 Posts

eh that would be the day i finally bother to make a twitter account.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

@dariency said:

I still see avatars on the desktop site. They must just be hidden on mobile.

honestly that the only way i recognize most people.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59124 Posts

At least I have soup.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5174 Posts

@SOedipus:

@SOedipus said:

I bet they won't let the community know when they will close the forums. One day we won't be able to access them. They haven't answered feedback questions in the bug forums in years.

UGH, you're probably right. One day I'll try to access system wars or off topic and boom, it'll be gone.

I wonder if we should make a fallback rendezvous point on reddit or something for everyone to go to?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44621 Posts

@nod_calypse: "Been bogged down for a while. There's literally malware in the forums."

It's in the ad services. I pointed this out to them numerous times in past honestly GS staff and mods hate me for even bringing it up when I did I heard they had to cut ties to ad services because of it and now they refuse to acknowledge my posts in the bug reporting feedback threads probably because they don't want to cut off their ad revenue.

You'd think over years they'd ask for support from their parent companies to get assistance on this end but meh doesn't ever seem to happen.

It use to be much worse though, ads would hijack the browsers and open up spammy sites with the whole "you won a free iphone" etc etc kind of ads. The worst kind of experience, so, improved greatly in that regard I'll give them that.

Right now ads create security vulnerabilities and I wouldn't doubt some are malware ridden spoofing legit ads.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44621 Posts

When I fiest started using they were bridged with the GameFAQs forums which was great, it was nice to use those forums to discuss individual games. Then, whatever, they split, was never the same after that.

Worth noting moderation on site then was awful and it got so bad, it was totally arbitrary, power tripping, then about a decade ago they overhauled things, been great to be here ever since. So, got better in that regard.

Lot of fanboys split along the way, they'd take a game getting an 8/10 as a spit in the face and left. Sheesh, some people.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3740 Posts

GameSpot is like Atari. It's been bought and sold so many times that it's been watered down to a fraction of what it used to be. This and IGN used to be the only sites worth visiting.

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 276 Posts

Gamespot is like an old Ford Pinto compared to much more robust forums like Neogaf.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4247 Posts

IMO it’s slower than it has ever been. Which is sad. This was the place to be 10-20 years ago.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

GameSpot doesn't have the views or revenue to maintain all the features it used to have.

I remember when there was an active community manager that maintained the community of the site, showcasing blogs and user videos and unions and more. But now blogs are hidden in user profiles to never be seen again, user videos have been deleted, unions have been deleted, and all the cool social features the website team developed that were ahead of its time (eventually other social media would implement them) have been left to not work anymore.

Fandom is not going to provide budget to get GameSpot back up and running, especially since according to Giantbomb, they only allocate resources based on how much impact to revenue it provides.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1130 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

Gamespot barely does reviews. I tried thanking them in the comments every time they did one to show appreciation.

They probably have more opinion pieces on tv/movie media than games. They have editorials about the game industry and rumors which is alright bug the ratio is overwhelming compared to any preview/review material. Even when they have them, they get buried by 20 different articles with 1 tip each about a game.

The site is badly organized. They keep surfacing old articles with tiny updates. They have many fluff pieces on s*** you can buy off online markets.

It's not getting any better. No wonder nobody's getting attracted to the forums and people are leaving. On mobile you can't even click on to the forums without going into a drop down nobody will find.

And the site keeps going under new ownership that tries to sabotage this site.