Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9874 Posts

Google just released a bunch of vids for its new AI model called Gemini (more accurately it's a family of models).

It's a multimodal model meaning it can handle text, audio, video, images, different languages and coding (+probably more things).

I have been following AI a fair bit for the last year, this demo is still mindblowing to me 🤯🤯🤯

I wonder how many more years I have at my work before it's bye, bye 😅.

It can also help you learn Chinese and cook omelettes 😂

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

liked how it said the cat's landing would be a "purrfect 10"

this stuff is getting crazy good.

imagining something like this embedded in a kids toy. reminds me of that freaky little bear from that AI movie years ago.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

Looks great in a demo but you could say that about basically any AI model. The real question with AI is always what % of the responses will be unusable garbage, which they obviously won't show any of in the demo.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@comp_atkins: Teddy Ruxpin?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sushiglutton

@comp_atkins said:

liked how it said the cat's landing would be a "purrfect 10"

this stuff is getting crazy good.

imagining something like this embedded in a kids toy. reminds me of that freaky little bear from that AI movie years ago.

Haha, I missed that 😅. But I did like the ”what the Quak” when shown another blue duck.

@Vaasman said:

Looks great in a demo but you could say that about basically any AI model. The real question with AI is always what % of the responses will be unusable garbage, which they obviously won't show any of in the demo.

That’s a fair point. It was a little bit unclear to me if this was one take, or stitched together from multiple short vids?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@comp_atkins: Teddy Ruxpin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JMvs5f0Mks&ab_channel=TheBellochio

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sushiglutton

Google fooled me 😔. This video is extremely missleading.

Google admits AI viral video was edited to look better - BBC News

Basically they used still images and text. Then they cut it together to make it seem way cooler than it actually was.

Subsequently, as first reported by Bloomberg Opinion, Google confirmed to the BBC it was in fact made by prompting the AI by "using still image frames from the footage, and prompting via text".

"Our Hands on with Gemini demo video shows real prompts and outputs from Gemini," said a Google spokesperson.

"We made it to showcase the range of Gemini's capabilities and to inspire developers."

Disapointing 😞

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44621 Posts

If the AI becomes a psychopath, Google's customer support funnels you towards their customer support forums, i.e. a DIY user forum that defines what it means to piss in the wind with futile efforts to fix your own problems because it's impossible to speak to a human being with the power to do anything, the space consists solely of other users who can only suggest to each other to abandon all hope, they know, they've been trying for years.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

This is cool but the only appealing thing out of that demo was the potential of learning a new language, with the possibility of helping me with pronunciation and things like that.

It would be like having an actual, responsive teacher but on your own time and, ideally, a lot less expensive.

Learning new languages is a lot of repetition and memorization in the traditional classroom, but having an AI to actually converse with would be like the best way to learn a language (immersing oneself into the actual culture/native speakers). If you could just sit down for an hour or two each day and have a conversation with the AI, with different levels or scenarios, and have it correct you or make suggestions on what to say, would be great.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts
@Sushiglutton said:

Google fooled me 😔. This video is extremely missleading.

Google admits AI viral video was edited to look better - BBC News

Basically they used still images and text. Then they cut it together to make it seem way cooler than it actually was.

Subsequently, as first reported by Bloomberg Opinion, Google confirmed to the BBC it was in fact made by prompting the AI by "using still image frames from the footage, and prompting via text".

"Our Hands on with Gemini demo video shows real prompts and outputs from Gemini," said a Google spokesperson.

"We made it to showcase the range of Gemini's capabilities and to inspire developers."

Disapointing 😞

Yeah I had a serious doubt that this was not unscripted/unedited.

Still, as a proof-of-concept, it is impressive.