VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Peoples lives are always at stake, there's always some bug, virus, etc that can take us out.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#102 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@vfighter said:

@foxhound_fox: Peoples lives are always at stake, there's always some bug, virus, etc that can take us out.

Yes, but this one is new and exceptionally deadly. The numbers aren't "there" yet, but based on the time it's been active, the graphs of cases/deaths over time are exponential in nature.

There's reports that some Italian hospitals are just leaving people over 60 just suffocate to death because they don't have enough ventilators.

If the whole world OVER reacts to this, the financial cost will be high, but it will save lives. If the whole world UNDER reacts to this, the human cost will be high.

The US, if nothing changes, is on track for 7 million deaths now... which will have a massive economic impact. And even now Trump is encouraging people to go back to work after 15 days, despite state government's recommendations for shelter-in-place being indefinite.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1352 Posts

@KillzoneSnake said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@KillzoneSnake said:

The only thing collapsing hospitals is the mental hysteria. Never in my life i went to the hospital when i got the flu lol.

Lets take a look at the death count... 10,000 in a world of 7,700,000,000. Nothing. Lets take a look at swine flu deaths in 2009, oh my 575,000 deaths with 1.4 BILLION INFECTED. And no collapse? Maybe because there was 0 hysteria by the media, maybe because globalists/leftists gov/chicoms did not start shutting down the entire world? Oh gee that might be it....

Those 10,000 people could have been your family or friends. Estimates are currently at somewhere between 1-2.5 million Americans could die over the next year from COVID-19 or indirectly due to hospital bed space/equipment/staff shortages.

Is that "just a small percentage" too?

I guess i should hide in a hole because the flu kills way more. Nice estimates.... we will be lucky if it even hits 100K. Nothing compared to any past outbreaks. Look at the Spanish flu, that was way worse and nobody locked down the entire planet. Even the tribe people in America survived the conquistador invasion, not only they had to deal with the conquistadors killing them, but a flu that was like an alien bacteria, their bodies never experienced anything like it.

Millions of years of evolution, adapting to all sorts of bugs and here we are in 2020 hiding from a flu that kills like 1% of elder people who most have other illness. Instead of adapting to something we might have to live with. Has any child died? Yet they are locked up instead of adapting to this new cough.

But anyway, what will really kill people is the economic meltdown. Once this clears, if it even does, we will be left with a destroyed economy. Some countries will turn into Venezuela. Then you can enjoy a much higher death rate!

This is an incredibly ignorant view on the situation. If it was not that big of a deal the governments of THE WORLD would not be risking their own economy and financial stability by asking/forcing lockdowns and shutting down businesses and services. We are not overreacting by going to these lengths to stop the spread, we should have been doing this weeks ago but of course nobody would have realized how important or serious it was back then (including myself). We were ill informed from the start of this pandemic by China, and US did not do a good job at the beginning either, now we have to deal with the consequences, one of them inevitably being a negatively affected economy and struggling financially for a while after this. I would still take that over millions of preventable deaths.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Tomorrow our city is going under a stay at home work safe order.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Non essential jobs will be forced to close. Should only travel out of the house for job and essential trips like grocery shopping

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts

Well, here's news from TB Alliance:

COVID-19: a message of solidarity on World TB Day 2020

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14817 Posts

A lot of changes at work. Limited customers allowed in, strict placements with floor stickers for those waiting in lines, all employees received significant raises. I think our company is concerned that we're going to be under a lot of stress, with customers acting like animals and with employees; possible quarantine/self-isolation making it short-staffed.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

Im a bit sad at the moment as i've recently realized the abundance of extra masks i have lying around can not actually be donated to any local hospitals due to fraud.

Apparently there are a good number of fake masks circulating around by people trying to make money or something like that. My in-laws are Japanese and they typically send me care packages filled with clothes, snacks, etc. One of those things being masks just for when we get sick or whatever but a lot of the stuff is never in original packaging in order to fit them in a box. So the issue is hospitals have no way of verifying their legitimacy and thus cant take them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#109 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

Worried. Scared. Staying at home all day, juggling between work from home and video games.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I'm working more and got a temporary raise for working during this.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@vfighter said:

Warehouse? Grocery store?

OT: Working from home for a month plus. The biggest negative is it ruined our vacation to the D.C. area last week, everything was closed.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127520 Posts

@vfighter said:

I got no raise, but a lot of overtime. We have been asked if we can work some extra during Easter.... Originally planned for one day off, so I will be working that day in addition to another extra day during Easter.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#113 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts

Wow. I'm essential, but no raise. Sucks.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 RatchetClank92

The first night that all the bans get lifted and the threat of corona has diminished is gunna be a memorable one. I’m looking forward to being able to work out at my gym again, the home workouts just doing body weight exercises isn’t as fun.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50619 Posts

@ratchetclank92: Seriously. Three sets of dumbbells just not cutting it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50619 Posts

So.... if I do the math correctly and the bill passes the Senate, I'm going to get a 4900 check lol

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 421 Posts

I'm home for the next 3 weeks or so until I hear more about when my place of work opens up again. Been playing games, binge-watching shows, and working out.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6955 Posts

I am in week 2 of working from home. It has been surprisingly successful in general.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 RatchetClank92

Was a beautiful sunny morning here, I got up at 7am and felt pretty inspired by the weather to get outside and go for a longer jog than usual and a killer home workout. Hopefully this weather keeps like this, it'll help keep everyone's spirits up.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#121  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I found a dead possum in my backyard just laying on the leaves. Its been in the same position since yesterday.

Well, there doesn't appear to be wounds on the body so maybe its still alive since there are nocturnal and sleep during the day. So, I'm going to check after midnight if its still going.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#122  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Walking outside in the same places is getting old fast I can't imagine another couple of months like this I miss going out to eat and mall walking.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

I’m out of work and I can’t go up to college at the moment because of it. It also keeps me from going to the store to get a new game for my Switch Lite.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#124 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

it causes the world stock markets to crash. Makes people lose their money.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#125 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@magnum3000 said:

Worried. Scared. Staying at home all day, juggling between work from home and video games.

Why are you worried?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#126 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:
@magnum3000 said:

Why are you worried?

Are you not worried?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 horgen  Moderator

@SUD123456 said:

I am in week 2 of working from home. It has been surprisingly successful in general.

And I am working overtime... :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

Wife has been stood down due to it and I have been reduced to 80% pay, so in total we're down to 40% of our usual income, pretty nasty. The government here predicts 6 more months of lockdowns at the current rate so going to be a tough time for most.

The housing market here will collapse as a result of this as well which is going to screw up a LOT of people, mostly those with a handful of investment properties who are in so much debt it's not funny.

Oldgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Oldgun
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

Situation is becoming quite serious. I live in the UAE and we are only allowed to work from home. I'm glad we haven't lost our jobs (working at gas company) which keeps the meter running, unlike what's happening in industries such as airline. Stay indoor folks, and spend time with your family. Me and wife talk to our relatives over the phone, watch some Netflix. I'm currently playing Witcher 3 with 140hrs and still haven't finished the 1st DLC.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#131 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@ratchetclank92 said:
@KillzoneSnake said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Those 10,000 people could have been your family or friends. Estimates are currently at somewhere between 1-2.5 million Americans could die over the next year from COVID-19 or indirectly due to hospital bed space/equipment/staff shortages.

Is that "just a small percentage" too?

I guess i should hide in a hole because the flu kills way more. Nice estimates.... we will be lucky if it even hits 100K. Nothing compared to any past outbreaks. Look at the Spanish flu, that was way worse and nobody locked down the entire planet. Even the tribe people in America survived the conquistador invasion, not only they had to deal with the conquistadors killing them, but a flu that was like an alien bacteria, their bodies never experienced anything like it.

Millions of years of evolution, adapting to all sorts of bugs and here we are in 2020 hiding from a flu that kills like 1% of elder people who most have other illness. Instead of adapting to something we might have to live with. Has any child died? Yet they are locked up instead of adapting to this new cough.

But anyway, what will really kill people is the economic meltdown. Once this clears, if it even does, we will be left with a destroyed economy. Some countries will turn into Venezuela. Then you can enjoy a much higher death rate!

This is an incredibly ignorant view on the situation. If it was not that big of a deal the governments of THE WORLD would not be risking their own economy and financial stability by asking/forcing lockdowns and shutting down businesses and services. We are not overreacting by going to these lengths to stop the spread, we should have been doing this weeks ago but of course nobody would have realized how important or serious it was back then (including myself). We were ill informed from the start of this pandemic by China, and US did not do a good job at the beginning either, now we have to deal with the consequences, one of them inevitably being a negatively affected economy and struggling financially for a while after this. I would still take that over millions of preventable deaths.

If anyone doubts the seriousness of the situation, consider this. When this post was made saying we'll be "lucky" if we hit 100k fatalities from COVID-19, the number of worldwide fatal cases was about 15k. Even with all the measures being taken by pretty much every country in the world, we just passed the 100k mark fewer than three weeks later (18 days) and we are nowhere near the end of this.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 horgen  Moderator

@Byshop: And unless it changes, we will reach 200K even faster =(

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#133 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

This shit is making me miss the old days so bad it's not even funny. I'm so glad I was able to grow up in the 90's what a amazing decade it was.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 horgen  Moderator

You should follow the SITH in these dark times.

shivani467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 shivani467
Member since 2020 • 50 Posts

To be honest not much, its like my normal routine only change is working frome home now.

shivani467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 shivani467
Member since 2020 • 50 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:
@magnum3000 said:

Why are you worried?

We all should be worried if this breaks out everywhere. Look at Italy, Spain & now USA. This is not a joke anymore sadly. Lot's of people loosing their lives & loved ones.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#139 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

week 5 of both my wife and i WFH and having our two young children with us.

tired of trying to balance having the kids home and still being expected to be productive w/ work.

we're both fortunate enough to be fully employed still and neither of us work in essential businesses in that we have to leave the house, so that is nice. it's just been a real grind trying to manage the kids and work simultaneously. it's 1 am now and i'm trying to make up for work missed during the day. sleep has taken a MAJOR back seat lately.

lather, rinse, repeat.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#141 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

week 5 of both my wife and i WFH and having our two young children with us.

tired of trying to balance having the kids home and still being expected to be productive w/ work.

we're both fortunate enough to be fully employed still and neither of us work in essential businesses in that we have to leave the house, so that is nice. it's just been a real grind trying to manage the kids and work simultaneously. it's 1 am now and i'm trying to make up for work missed during the day. sleep has taken a MAJOR back seat lately.

lather, rinse, repeat.

My wife's a former middle school teacher and still works in education, but managing our two boys (6 and 8) for homeschool plans put out by the school district is challenging even for her. I can't imagine how it must be for people who have never had to do it before.

Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Sunsha
Member since 2005 • 20662 Posts

I work in nursing and I'm so glad I switched to working in a mental hospital a few years ago instead of medical or a nursing home. We have to wear a surgical mask 24/7 on the units. It's one of those surgical masks that are supposed to be disposed of as a one time use but we have to wear them for 3 - 7 of our 12 hour shifts. Considering the severe shortage of supplies I won't be surprised if they have to change that and we just wear cloth masks and have to wash them after using them.

My aunt works at the local library and they've closed that and she's been out of work for about 3 weeks now. Luckily the city government chose to pay them for the hours they should be working. I can't imagine the panicky feeling people who aren't getting a paycheck are feeling. So while it kinda sucks that I'm "essential" I'm glad I have a job and don't have kids to be worrying about.

I'm getting super annoyed by all the people trying to brush this all off like it's nothing. Those people should be forced to spend a day with a nurse or a doctor working on the front lines in a larger city hospital so they can see what it's like to know you have no more available ventilators to use for patients that need them to live. The death rate in the states is largely due to a lack of equipment and people being complete morons. They all need classes in how to properly wash their hands and wear face masks...and I'm not even going to start on how stupid the people wearing medical gloves are.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#143  Edited By Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

This Covid-19 pandemic is similar to the flu pandemic before a vaccine was created. People were dropping like flies from the flu in the pre-vaccine era. Once the vaccine is distributed and when more people get infected and recover from the virus and build up antibodies, things will be back to normal.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#144 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

just hit closer to home.

found out my cousin who is in the us navy has it and is in quarantine

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 horgen  Moderator

@comp_atkins said:

just hit closer to home.

found out my cousin who is in the us navy has it and is in quarantine

How long since he most likely got it?

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

A lot and not that much. I work from home and run my own non-profit, so it's the same. I'm still receiving grants, which was mainly our source of revenue until we launch our project. However, it's bizarre dealing remotely, since we'd usually at least meet at our office space 2-3 times a week. I can see, it's both easy and hard since I'm not used to micro-managing that much. But it's helped lower some costs.

Personally, really hard. I usually liberate stress during the weekends - clubbing and going to bars with my friends. Beach, movies. Not doing that is making things dull. In addition, not being able to have sex makes me which I wasn't so stubborn and had a partner. Now gotta watch them' porn sites until this is over because I ain't risking getting the virus.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts
@Guy_Brohski said:

This Covid-19 pandemic is similar to the flu pandemic before a vaccine was created. People were dropping like flies from the flu in the pre-vaccine era. Once the vaccine is distributed and when more people get infected and recover from the virus and build up antibodies, things will be back to normal.

Which flu pandemic, though? There's been several throughout history and moder times.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#148 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Musician here. All I can say is "lol". My entire life is pretty much cancelled

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#149 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6102 Posts

I'm gaining quite a bit of weight and I am still an essential worker, getting depressed a little, lonely, I have a bus load of games, Netflix, music, etc.... I do get out five days a week to go to work, but with nothing open, my two days off work a week is still two days too long. I can relate to the one's that have to stay in to quarantine for seven days a week, I suffer from mental illness and went months not moving much or leaving the house.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 horgen  Moderator

@virusvaccine21 said:
@Guy_Brohski said:

Which flu pandemic, though? There's been several throughout history and moder times.

I don't think any of the flu pandemics have had people dropping like flies though. Does he mean the Spanish flu? Black Death?