Ilhan Omar MAY HAVE spouted Somali nationalist rhetoric that she would otherwise decry in the US.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

And I say "may" due to some subtitled translations found on Twitter based on her speaking Somali. But... if the subtitles are true, especially after accusing both the current and former US Democratic presidents of war mongering...

I don't know about Somali affairs, but when the subtitles literally add that she is speaking a "genocidal mantra" for saying "Somali is for Somalians only" and bringing up the percentage of people living there, that alone doesn't make her look good. And if it IS as bad as it says, then that just quadrupled my feelings for her as a Congresswoman ever since she voted "present" during a vote to acknowledge Armenian Genocide years back.

A lot to answer for, either way.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

It's always concerning when you hear a politician using terms like "brothers and sisters" and "we are the same blood" and "we are *insert country/race/ethnicity* first".

I think Omar has gone through a lot and being a.) brown, b.) female, c.) foreign, and d.) Muslim has probably exposed her to a lot of shit, but the sympathy I have for having to endure that will only let me tolerate so much bullshit from her.

...If those translations are true (and thank you @nintendoboy16 for including that warning in your initial post).

Not too familiar with Somali affairs, either, tbh. This woman in the tweet is the ambassador of "Somaliland" which I guess is a separate state that may be officially recognized? I'm not sure. She might be extra hostile against Omar and not a reliable source of information.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6955 Posts

Omar is a terrible representative and it isn't because of her gender, color, ethnic origin, or general political beliefs.

She's terrible because she is shallow, does not actually understand most issues, and is nothing more than the left equivalent of the maga crowd throwing out nonsensical emotional rhetoric. If you peel away the BS being spewn you uncover a vapid soundbite machine with at most 3 brain cells and utterly incompetent.

By contrast, I compare her to AOC who has similar politics in general but who is very well informed, has her own well developed views, is very articulate without being obsequious, and can defend her positions with reasoned facts. She is highly competent regardless of your agreement or otherwise with her politics.

The difference between the two is uninformed rhetoric vs reasoned public policy.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@SUD123456: Yup. These bomb throwers in Congress are a waste of time and space.

Avatar image for deactivated-661eae767772c
deactivated-661eae767772c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 deactivated-661eae767772c
Member since 2022 • 245 Posts

Ilhan Omar is the left-wing's version of Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert (who, by the way, will likely be booted from her position this year. I can't wait for her OnlyFans account).

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44621 Posts

GOP and their base of deplorable rubes are Russian cheerleaders, and there a 100x time better case to make there, and the ill effect that is having on our country, and the world.

As bad as she might be, she should be replace with another Dem. A solution of voting GOP isn't a solution, it's fascism in action.

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

Or not...Unless you think saying "America is only for Americans" is the same as saying "America belongs to all Americans (i.e., not merely some Americans)"

Minnesota Star Tribune Fact Check

A Somali speaking reporter verified that the following "more accurate" transcript posted on X, to which the Congresswoman's office directed the paper, was accurate.

Abdirashid Hashi

@AnalystSomalia

For those seeking an accurate and verbatim translation of what Congresswoman

@Ilhan

said, here it is:

[The context is: she was addressing her Somali-American constituents, who were alarmed by Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed’s announcement of his intention to assist a region/province in Somalia in becoming a sovereign state. Additionally, he stated he will acquire land and sea l for his landlocked country through this province. Somalia, the African Union, the USA, the European Union, the UK, and the global community stand with Somalia, stating that dismembering Somalia and annexing its land is unacceptable]

Here is what the Congresswoman said:

————————————————

“We Somalis are people who love each other. It is possible that some of us are rough with each other, but when the going gets tough, we are people who have each other’s backs. We are sisters and brothers, supporting each other, people who know they are Somalis and Muslims, coming to each other’s aid and aiding their brothers and sisters.

And the other day, when we heard that some Somalis, or those who say they are Somalis, entered an MoU with Ethiopia, many people called me and said, “Ilhan, you should talk to the US government; what is the US government going to do about this?”

My response was: the US government will do what we ask it to do. We should have this confidence in ourselves as Somalis. We live in this country. We are taxpayers in this country. This country is one where one of your daughters sits in Congress. While I am in Congress, no one will take Somalia’s sea. The United States will not back others to rob us. So, do not lose sleep over that, O Minnesotans. The lady you sent to Congress is on this, and she is as cognizant of this interest as you are.

I would like to tell President Hassan Sheikh that we are impressed with the great work you have done. You have made it known to those living in Somalia and other places that, in spite of the many challenges we face as Somalis, we are nonetheless competent people. People who believe in their country and will not allow it to be endangered.

Thus, I want to congratulate the Somalis in Minnesota and everywhere on how united you are. How you all stood by our president, because he needs our solidarity. Somalia belongs to all Somalis. Somalia is one. We are brothers and sisters, and our land will not be balkanized. Our lands were taken from us before, and God willing, we may one day seek them, but what we have now will not be balkanized.

I thank you all for how you always welcome me and honor me; may the Lord honor you. Peace and blessings of God be with you.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

This is much ado about nothing. Apparently the official stance of the US is against Ethiopia taking over the land because it will destabilize the horn of Africa.

But sure, believe MTG and her misinformation to spark outrage for maga.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nintendoboy16

@LJS9502_basic said:

This is much ado about nothing. Apparently the official stance of the US is against Ethiopia taking over the land because it will destabilize the horn of Africa.

MTG didn't start this, but don't be surprised if MTG wins another censure against a Squad member though. She did Tlaib over "River to the Sea" which is dangerous rhetoric, no matter which side of that part of the Middle East says it.

I no longer have much respect for the Squad knowing their inconsistent values as "progressives".

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic

@nintendoboy16: I'm not a follower of the squad & MTG is trying for removal.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrbojangles25

@nintendoboy16 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

MTG didn't start this, but don't be surprised if MTG wins another censure against a Squad member though. She did Tlaib over "River to the Sea" which is dangerous rhetoric, no matter which side of that part of the Middle East says it.

I no longer have much respect for the Squad knowing their inconsistent values as "progressives".

It's always interesting comparing progressives and far-left to folks that are regressive and far-right in the context of the "horseshoe" theory of political alignment; that is, the more extreme you get to one side or another, the more you have in common with the opposing extreme.

I don't fully subscribe to that idea, but it's easy to understand why in general terms some folks do.

I think extremism, in either form, is not exactly a great thing and rarely is it warranted. The issue these days is we have lost our zero point, so slightly left and slightly right policies are often seemed as not enough.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#12  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19617 Posts

Meanwhile, tons of corrupt genocidal American politicians are pledging allegiance to another foreign nation...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jag85
@mrbojangles25 said:

It's always interesting comparing progressives and far-left to folks that are regressive and far-right in the context of the "horseshoe" theory of political alignment; that is, the more extreme you get to one side or another, the more you have in common with the opposing extreme.

I don't fully subscribe to that idea, but it's easy to understand why in general terms some folks do.

I think extremism, in either form, is not exactly a great thing and rarely is it warranted. The issue these days is we have lost our zero point, so slightly left and slightly right policies are often seemed as not enough.

I stopped subscribing to these "left-wing" and "right-wing" labels years ago. As far as I'm concerned, it's all just a point-scoring game for one side to gain the upper hand over the other. As Malcolm X explained 60 years ago:

Loading Video...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic

@Jag85: You know he was speaking on one issue and the world isn't quite the same now as it was. Sure magas want to go back to that era but not anyone else.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jag85

@LJS9502_basic: Actions speak louder than words. While Trump was threatening to bomb the Middle East... Biden and Obama have mass-murdered far more people in the Middle East than Trump ever did. While Trump was threatening to deport all Mexican immigrants... Obama deported more Mexicans than Trump did. What Malcolm X said about Democrats in the 1960s still holds true today. They're hypocrites who don't practice what they preach.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Jag85 said:

@LJS9502_basic: Actions speak louder than words. While Trump was threatening to bomb the Middle East... Biden and Obama have mass-murdered far more people in the Middle East than Trump ever did. While Trump was threatening to deport all Mexican immigrants... Obama deported more Mexicans than Trump did. What Malcolm X said about Democrats in the 1960s still holds true today. They're hypocrites who don't practice what they preach.

Trump used drones to kill noncombatants. Don't hold him up as a moral authority. Not sure what deportation has to do with anything except to point out Trump didn't do his job.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jag85

That only proves my point. The fact that Democrats like Biden and Obama murdered and deported more people than a POS like Trump speaks volumes. Actions speak louder than words.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nintendoboy16

@Jag85 said:

Meanwhile, tons of corrupt genocidal American politicians are pledging allegiance to another foreign nation...

Okay, but it's not worth defend ANY nationalist rhetoric here. I don't care who says it. Left or Right.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jag85

...And yet I've never seen you call out any of the corrupt US politicians pledging allegiance to Israel.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nintendoboy16

@Jag85: For this particular topic, that's just deflection at this point. Man, that part of the Middle East has broken way too many people.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Jag85 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I stopped subscribing to these "left-wing" and "right-wing" labels years ago. As far as I'm concerned, it's all just a point-scoring game for one side to gain the upper hand over the other. As Malcolm X explained 60 years ago:

I'm afraid you're letting your apathy get the best of you, disliking the way it makes you feel, and turning to your emotions.

Yes, it is a point scoring game...and you have to pick a side. Yes, both sides suck...and you still have to pick a side.

When we have more than a two-party system, then maybe we can talk about options. But until then...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jag85

@mrbojangles25: Like you said in the other thread, you should vote based on your values, not blind allegiance to a party. There's nothing rational about pledging allegiance to a party, but that's based on irrational fears and emotions, the kind of thing that 1984 talks about.

As far as I'm concerned, neither the Republican or Democratic party aligns with my values. But since I'm not American, it's a moot point, since I won't be voting in US elections anyway. It's down to American voters who they vote for. But in the UK, I certainly won't be voting for either Labour or Tories, since neither party aligns with my values either. We have more than two options in the UK, so we don't have to vote for the "lesser of two evils" like the two-party US system. That's how the Scots were able to get the SNP in power, by refusing to vote Labour or Tories.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mrbojangles25

@Jag85 said:

@mrbojangles25: Like you said in the other thread, you should vote based on your values, not blind allegiance to a party. There's nothing rational about pledging allegiance to a party, but that's based on irrational fears and emotions, the kind of thing that 1984 talks about.

As far as I'm concerned, neither the Republican or Democratic party aligns with my values. But since I'm not American, it's a moot point, since I won't be voting in US elections anyway. It's down to American voters who they vote for. But in the UK, I certainly won't be voting for either Labour or Tories, since neither party aligns with my values either. We have more than two options in the UK, so we don't have to vote for the "lesser of two evils" like the two-party US system. That's how the Scots were able to get the SNP in power, by refusing to vote Labour or Tories.

Ah OK that makes more sense, forget what I said.

So I always hear about Labor and Tories, are the other parties actually viable? Do they stand a chance?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jag85

@mrbojangles25: Alternative UK parties are viable for regional or coalition governments. For example, SNP is an alternative party that rules Scotland. But in England, it's Labour and Tories that dominate. However, two parties can form a coalition if a single party fails to win a majority of seats. We had that a decade ago, when Tories and Lib Dems had a coalition government.