Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19617 Posts

One Piece (2023) One Piece: Season 1 (Rotten Tomatoes)

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 697 Posts

I am not still not watching a live action version of an anime, if I really feel like watching this, I will just search for the anime.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jag85

@nirgal: Have you watched the anime yet?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 697 Posts

@Jag85: not yet. I am Abit intimidated by how long it is.

But I probably will at some point.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14815 Posts

Are you telling me that Netflix didn't go woke on this?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59124 Posts
@nirgal said:

I am not still not watching a live action version of an anime, if I really feel like watching this, I will just search for the anime.

Same. Similar sentiment with Ahsoka, enjoying it, but this should have been animated. No reason for it to live action other than the Wests dismissive attitude towards it.

Just waiting for them to **** up Dragonball again, it's coming. They won't leave it be.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

I think people should be willing to give live-action adaptations an honest chance. You don't have to like it, but you shouldn't just automatically write it of because it isn't the anime.

With that said, I get it if people are initially skeptical.

@uninspiredcup said:
@nirgal said:

Same. Similar sentiment with Ahsoka, enjoying it, but this should have been animated. No reason for it to live action other than the Wests dismissive attitude towards it.

Just waiting for them to **** up Dragonball again, it's coming. They won't leave it be.

Yeah, no shade at live-action Ahsoka as I have really been enjoying it, but I'd be lying if the whole time I was watching it I wasn't thinking "They should have just done season 5 of 'Rebels'".

Yes, I know Ahsoka is essentially season 5 of Rebels, but at the same time...it isn't.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

A successful anime/manga adaptation? Now, that is not something you see every day.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
@mrbojangles25 said:

I think people should be willing to give live-action adaptations an honest chance. You don't have to like it, but you shouldn't just automatically write it of because it isn't the anime.

With that said, I get it if people are initially skeptical.

@uninspiredcup said:
@nirgal said:

Yeah, no shade at live-action Ahsoka as I have really been enjoying it, but I'd be lying if the whole time I was watching it I wasn't thinking "They should have just done season 5 of 'Rebels'".

Yes, I know Ahsoka is essentially season 5 of Rebels, but at the same time...it isn't.

It has its upsides.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7326 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Ha! Gotta admit, the actresses are all very attractive.

Show is pretty good so far. I agree with the general sentiment that the first two episodes were a slow start, but still had their moments (in no way 2 out 10 bad though). Third was great.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

@judaspete: EP3 was prob fav thing since Tales Of The Jedi.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jag85

@nirgal: That's kind of why the Netflix show was made. So many newcomers are intimated by the large number of anime episodes. So the Netflix show condenses the first 40 episodes down to 8 hour-long episodes.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jag85
@Maroxad said:

A successful anime/manga adaptation? Now, that is not something you see every day.

I had a feeling the One Piece adaptation would work out the moment I saw a sneak peak interview with the lead actor Inaki Godoy last year... He's basically a real-life Luffy. That's where previous adaptations failed. The lead actors just didn't feel like the anime characters they're portraying. But Inaki looks and feels just like Luffy.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jag85

One Piece debuts at number one in 84 countries, smashing the global opening records of Stranger Things and Wednesday:

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jag85

I just realized the One Piece anime was the most watched show in 2022:

So it's not all that surprising the live-action adaptation set a Netflix debut record.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jag85

Just watched the first three episodes of the Netflix show... I'm really enjoying it so far. It's somehow broken the live-action anime curse. It's a faithful adaptation that sticks closely to the manga and anime, though condensed to fit a relatively shorter run time.

While it can be a little jarring at first seeing over-the-top anime shenanigans in live action... it works. What makes it easy to suspend disbelief is the fact it's set in a fantasy world, with its own internal logic, rules and world building.

It's been so long since I watched the first East Blue saga (back in the 2000s) that the Netflix show serves as a nice recap. There's a bunch of stuff I'd forgotten about the East Blue saga that I suddenly remembered while watching the Netflix show.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jag85

Just finished the show:

One Piece somehow managed to pull it off: a legit great live-action anime. It does a great job adapting the first East Blue saga (first 95 manga chapters and 45 anime episodes), condensed down to eight hour-long episodes. It's mostly faithful to the source material, but condenses down some stuff and makes some changes for a live-action format.

For One Piece fans, it's a great way to revisit the early East Blue saga. I watched the anime version of that saga almost 20 years ago, so it felt fresh watching a live-action version after all this time. The story beats and character development have been mostly preserved, with some foreshadowing added (referencing later anime episodes), and the fights are very well-choreographed (especially Zoro's fights).

The only thing I found disappointing are the shortened fight scenes. I really enjoyed the anime's long drawn-out DBZ-style fights spanning multiple episodes. But that would be very difficult to pull off in a live-action format, so I can understand why the fights had to move along at a quicker pace.

The original Japanese anime is a 10/10 show for me. The live-action does fall short of the anime in some ways, but it's as close as it gets. At the very least, the live action is far better than the terrible 4Kids anime dub.

9/10

Comparing the different versions I've watched:

1. Japanese anime sub - 10/10
  2. Netflix live action - 9/10
  3. 4Kids anime dub - 6/10

For newcomers, the Japanese anime sub and Netflix live action show are both good entry points into the franchise... But avoid the 4Kids dub! Not sure if a better English anime dub exists, but I never bothered to find out after trying out the rubbish 4Kids dub.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

@Jag85: I was skeptical at first, but...I like the sets! It's actually real and not some CGI mess I was expecting to be. The acting and direction is pretty stiff at times, but the actors of Luffy and Nami are great though. You can tell they are really fans of the Anime/Manga thus they put efforts into this live. I wasn't expecting Buggy to be that scary in this version. (Not Pennywise mind you) I gotta say, the actor was pulling a bit from the Heath Ledger joker which was a nice touch indeed. (R.I.P Heath Ledger)

I'm glad Netflix finally understood what works and doesn't. Still not sure about Netflix Yu Yu Hakusho live cause that seems to be a tough one to follow and do it right.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Just finished the show:

One Piece somehow managed to pull it off: a legit great live-action anime. It does a great job adapting the first East Blue saga (first 95 manga chapters and 45 anime episodes), condensed down to eight hour-long episodes. It's mostly faithful to the source material, but condenses down some stuff and makes some changes for a live-action format.

For One Piece fans, it's a great way to revisit the early East Blue saga. I watched the anime version of that saga almost 20 years ago, so it felt fresh watching a live-action version after all this time. The story beats and character development have been mostly preserved, with some foreshadowing added (referencing later anime episodes), and the fights are very well-choreographed (especially Zoro's fights).

The only thing I found disappointing are the shortened fight scenes. I really enjoyed the anime's long drawn-out DBZ-style fights spanning multiple episodes. But that would be very difficult to pull off in a live-action format, so I can understand why the fights had to move along at a quicker pace.

The original Japanese anime is a 10/10 show for me. The live-action does fall short of the anime in some ways, but it's as close as it gets. At the very least, the live action is far better than the terrible 4Kids anime dub.

9/10

Comparing the different versions I've watched:

1. Japanese anime sub - 10/10
  2. Netflix live action - 9/10
  3. 4Kids anime dub - 6/10

For newcomers, the Japanese anime sub and Netflix live action show are both good entry points into the franchise... But avoid the 4Kids dub! Not sure if a better English anime dub exists, but I never bothered to find out after trying out the rubbish 4Kids dub.

Thanks for the breakdown! I'll be checking it out as soon as I'm finished with the new season of Disenchantment.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jag85
@davillain said:

@Jag85: I was skeptical at first, but...I like the sets! It's actually real and not some CGI mess I was expecting to be. The acting and direction is pretty stiff at times, but the actors of Luffy and Nami are great though. You can tell they are really fans of the Anime/Manga thus they put efforts into this live. I wasn't expecting Buggy to be that scary in this version. (Not Pennywise mind you) I gotta say, the actor was pulling a bit from the Heath Ledger joker which was a nice touch indeed. (R.I.P Heath Ledger)

I'm glad Netflix finally understood what works and doesn't. Still not sure about Netflix Yu Yu Hakusho live cause that seems to be a tough one to follow and do it right.

How many episodes have you watched so far? I think the main cast did a pretty good job bringing the main crew to life. The only thing that felt off was Sanji's London accent (I always imagined him with a French accent), but got used to it after awhile. And Buggy is definitely channelling some Heath Ledger energy, which makes him a bit different to the anime version.

Looks like 2023 is the year in which both the video game adaptation and live-action anime curses have been broken. After Mario and Last of Us broke the video game adaptation curse, One Piece has now broken the live-action anime curse.

Seems like Yu Yu Hakusho is going to be a Japanese series. Netflix have had a hit Japanese live-action manga adaptation before with Alice in Borderlands (thanks to Squid Game fans), but Yu Yu Hakusho would require a bigger budget than that show. I don't think it would cost as much as One Piece though, since YYH has a modern setting whereas OP is set in a fantasy world.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jag85

@mrbojangles25: Never watched Disenchantment. How's that compared to Simpsons and Futurama?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

@Jag85: I just finished the whole season, and it was really great!!! Not that I care too much about this but I do think it's cool that they casted a transgender person to play Koby. He did an amazing job with the character. And whoever thought of the 4th wall breaking wanted posters needs a raise cause that was clever.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jag85

@davillain: See, told you it's a great adaptation. The story really picks up around episode 3 when they get to Syrup Village... which is also when the story really picked up in the anime. Then it just gets better and better from there, again like the anime... Speaking of which, how much of the anime did you watch?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16572 Posts
@SOedipus said:

they went super woke. Apparently having black or dark skin people playing white characters is woke nowadays. Joking aside, I felt they did a great job picking the cast, it all feels very natural.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jag85
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@SOedipus said:

they went super woke. Apparently having black or dark skin people playing white characters is woke nowadays. Joking aside, I felt they did a great job picking the cast, it all feels very natural.

The main cast are quite close to the ethnicities/nationalities originally stated by creator Eiichira Oda:

• Luffy (Brazilian) played by Mexican actor
  • Zoro (Japanese) played by Japanese actor
  • Nami (Swedish) played by White American actress
  • Sanji (French) played by British actor
  • Usopp (African) played by African American actor

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jag85