Oppenheimer and Barbie getting great reviews!

• 76 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45245 Posts

Will you be checking these movies out this weekend, OT?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15945 Posts

Dunno which to watch... Oppenheimer is my usual pick but idk I no longer able to stomach 3 hours at the cinema while Barbie.. I am not much of a fan. Probably will see Oppenheimer and hopefully I don't doze off during those slow moments.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts

Definitely going to see Oppenheimer. Looking forward to it greatly, alongside Dune Part II coming at the end of the year.

Not sure about Barbie, was never a fan of the toys but if it’s a well made film I can often overlook subject matter that otherwise wouldn’t hold my interest. But for Barbie, it better be a damn good film.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

I'm very excited for both of them. Two great director's on the same day, I'm in!

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

Look at these movies trying to beat the all mighty Super Mario Bros Movie. It's hilarious.

Nintendo always wins.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 693 Posts

I will watch Oppenheimer.

Barbie is just not my cup of tea, but wish the rest an enjoyable time.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nirgal

@MirkoS77: dune part 2 is the one I am really looking forward to.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaydan

@Sonicplys said:

Look at these movies trying to beat the all mighty Super Mario Bros Movie. It's hilarious.

Nintendo always wins.

Christopher Nolan and Greta Gerwig are auteur filmmakers. Pretty sure they haven't thought of the Mario movie even once.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

I'm going to watch the new Mission Impossible.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

I'm surprised to see Barbie getting great reviews. I thought it was a silly live-action movie based on the toy. In any case, I doubt I'll be watching it anyway. I find Oppenheimer way more intriguing (obviously).

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3441 Posts

I'll be watching both, but not on cinema. Since the first trailer I saw for Barbie I knew it would be something interesting. Oppenheimer I'll watch it for the theme, not a huge fan of the director tbh.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1011 Posts

I know it would be terrible for the industry but I wish movies were day 1 streaming. I personally find the viewing experience on my QDOLED tv is much better than a vast majority of theathers. The ones that are better are hard to even get tickets and far away from where I live.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts
@robertos said:

I know it would be terrible for the industry but I wish movies were day 1 streaming. I personally find the viewing experience on my QDOLED tv is much better than a vast majority of theathers. The ones that are better are hard to even get tickets and far away from where I live.

As do I.

Don't care the industry.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

If you like Barbie, hopefully you enjoy it. For me, I have no idea what purpose it has nor what it trying to achieve.

Oppenheimer was a fascinating man with an even more fascinating story but knowing how Hollywood has adapted stories, I'm skeptical.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jaydan
@Solaryellow said:

If you like Barbie, hopefully you enjoy it. For me, I have no idea what purpose it has nor what it trying to achieve.

Oppenheimer was a fascinating man with an even more fascinating story but knowing how Hollywood has adapted stories, I'm skeptical.

Well, I guess that's part of the wonders of watching a movie and figuring out its themes for yourself.

But really, what Barbie is going for seems pretty obvious with its feminist themes. Barbie has been held in a box and this is her break to becoming a woman not constrained by the societal expectations of what defines a woman. It will be a clash between Barbie's dreamworld perceptions followed by the reality of the world. It will have thematic parallels to women in the real world.

That's what I got from the trailers, at least.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jaydan

Lol okay, I want this poster.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

will likely check out oppenheimer this weekend.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45245 Posts

@jaydan said:

Lol okay, I want this poster.

😄

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@jaydan said:

Well, I guess that's part of the wonders of watching a movie and figuring out its themes for yourself.

But really, what Barbie is going for seems pretty obvious with its feminist themes. Barbie has been held in a box and this is her break to becoming a woman not constrained by the societal expectations of what defines a woman. It will be a clash between Barbie's dreamworld perceptions followed by the reality of the world. It will have thematic parallels to women in the real world.

That right there seems to be a problem at least for me. Oppenheimer, as an example, is quite obvious in regard to what it is about. While you may not know everything w/o viewing it, you know it isn't about a guy working fast food. I vividly remember my cousins playing with Barbie dolls when we were children but even so I don't know where you go with a film about that specific toy. Maybe if it were Barbie & The Rockers or Jem, sure.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jaydan
@Solaryellow said:
@jaydan said:

That right there seems to be a problem at least for me. Oppenheimer, as an example, is quite obvious in regard to what it is about. While you may not know everything w/o viewing it, you know it isn't about a guy working fast food. I vividly remember my cousins playing with Barbie dolls when we were children but even so I don't know where you go with a film about that specific toy. Maybe if it were Barbie & The Rockers or Jem, sure.

Like I say, there's plenty of themes happening in Barbie and I can see it right in the trailers. Also the reviews I've checked out confirm this as well. It might just be a more female-centric piece so maybe not every male will identify with the themes because it's not about them. The main themes of Barbie will perhaps be about change and empowerment.

While Oppenheimer has a clearer posture of being a historical film, I can tell there will be a lot of artistic liberties and themes that elevate the narrative as well, beyond just a simple history lesson. The main theme of Oppenheimer will be consequence, and Nolan already stated that in interview. It may beg the question of just because we can make some breakthroughs, is it in the best interest of humanity to go through with them? And here's the story of a man that did cross this line and how it haunted him knowing what he brought to the world.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

I'll still wait for home video.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10480 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Definitely going to see Oppenheimer. Looking forward to it greatly, alongside Dune Part II coming at the end of the year.

yep this. the first two films to get me back to the cinema for the first time in years. couldn't be less interested in barbie

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MirkoS77

@Macutchi said:
@MirkoS77 said:

yep this. the first two films to get me back to the cinema for the first time in years. couldn't be less interested in barbie

Agreed, the last film I saw in the theaters was 1917. Going tomorrow, and in November for Part II. May stream Barbie eventually, just for morbid curiosity as Gosling is always entertaining, and I want to see how they’ve made a movie out of this.

@nirgal: last trailer was epic, can’t wait. Long live the fighters!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58392 Posts

Barbenheimer fever is real!

@johnd13 said:

I'm surprised to see Barbie getting great reviews. I thought it was a silly live-action movie based on the toy. In any case, I doubt I'll be watching it anyway. I find Oppenheimer way more intriguing (obviously).

Once in a while you get one of these seemingly goofball movies that's actually really good.

Just goes to show that the quality of the artist lies not with their subject matter, but with their talent. A really great filmmaker could make a great film about just anything I reckon.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58392 Posts
@AcidTango said:

Ooooh that looks great too! Love the M:I series (except for the second film, that was mediocre).

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jaydan

@mrbojangles25 said:

Barbenheimer fever is real!

@johnd13 said:

Once in a while you get one of these seemingly goofball movies that's actually really good.

Just goes to show that the quality of the artist lies not with their subject matter, but with their talent. A really great filmmaker could make a great film about just anything I reckon.

Anyone that's familiar with Greta Gerwig's work knows she's the real deal. It's very refreshing to have a woman director like her that stands just as tall with some of the great male director's.

If she continues to keep her quality output consistent she will find herself in the same league as the greats.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nirgal

It would be interesting to see how opennheimer is depicted. Hollywood made a really lousy job with alan touring, showing him as feminine and shy just because he was gay. When in reality his friends described him as masculine and very social.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@AcidTango said:

Ooooh that looks great too! Love the M:I series (except for the second film, that was mediocre).

LOL same. I like to pretend that the second film doesn't exist.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Oppenheimer and Napoleon in the same year? Yes, please, ty.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

I'mma go to Barbie with my co-worker named Barb.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1011 Posts

Some really good movies this year so far. Oppenheimer, Barbie, Across the Spiderverse, and Mission Impossible.

Good to see that. Imagine if everything was absolute dog shit like Flash or Ant-Man.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32  Edited By adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

I think we all expected Oppenheimer to slap.

Barbie is a surprise. Pretty cool.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

4 years before winning an academy award for her role in WW2 drama, The Reader, Kate Winslet confessed that she was only taking a holocaust role for the surefire Oscar.

Prophetic, but obviously a joke. Winning awards has nothing to do with Nazis and everything to do with hats. If Oppenheimer wins Oscars, it's the hats. Hats. win. prizes.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3441 Posts

@sancho_panzer: Don't know about the hats but the Nazis had cool jackets.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

@kathaariancode: As genocidal armies go, there's no denying they were a dapper bunch. 'Course that's not, in any way, to excuse their frankly rotten behaviour.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup

:O

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jaydan

@uninspiredcup said:

:O

Not TheQuartering level of epic thumbnail tbh.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 uninspiredcup

@jaydan: Ah yes, The Quartering. The absolute king of kings of grifters. Never will you meet a man so effective at filling 10 minutes of dead air about "who cares" to flog whatever he's shilling that day.

Ben does fascinate me more. I watched his Starwars reviews, it was the most bizarre review I've seen. He talks about it like a AI voice generated car salesman in terms of cold hard deals devoid of human emotion or fantastical elements.

Loading Video...

I'm guessing that's why he liked Rogue One the most.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jaydan

@uninspiredcup: Not sure what these Neckbeard and baby-faced conservatives are on about.

I am pretty sure there was a worldwide spike in sexual activity on opening day for Barbie. All the men that were just as excited to see Barbie as much as their woman, must have been rewarded after all.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MirkoS77

Just got back from Oppenheimer.

Spoilers I guess.

Was honestly fairly bored by the end, this film IMO suffered from pacing issues. I struggled to remain interested. Guess I was expecting a bit more bomb and science, and less investigation of Robert’s suspected communist ties and desire to smear him. It never delved enough into that aspect to be all that interesting.

Also, a massive missed opportunity to give the audience a visual representation of atomic power. I was really hoping they’d show some form of the atomic split at a microscopic level and the subsequent chain reaction culminating in such destruction, instead it was just a large explosion. Bit of a let down.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nirgal

@jaydan: dude, we were having a peaceful insult free thread until this.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jaydan

@nirgal: Not sure what you're talking about.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

@nirgal: I think he was referring to The Quatering and Ben Shapiro, not necessarily anyone posting here.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jaydan

@hallenbeck77: Oh, lol.

Yes, that is the case. I wasn't calling anyone here a neckbeard or baby-face (not like I even know what anyone here looks like, either way).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By uninspiredcup

This is the worst movie since Prey. Which is a bad idea and will definitely be bad.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nirgal

@jaydan: oh yes, frankly I was surprised to see both politicized reviews of the movie and the subsequent name calling.

The movie (barbie) appeared by trailer to be a lighthearted comedy, so it was definitely not the kind of comments I expected.

But well, I must have misread it ore missed some cues.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 uninspiredcup

Men are being destroyed, Barbie gonna turn little girls into female ISIS.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#48 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26104 Posts

I can’t wait to see both!

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

I saw Barbie. It wasn't bad.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

Ben Shapiro, that guys with the Satanic evil eyebrows that say to me he's always manstrating is setting Barbie dolls on fire because the movie "woke". No, not kidding. Then again, not surprising, and I'd just assume he got off doing this even before he could make a political statement about it. As a child, he probably called it "Playing Salem".