br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Just wondering what are you opinions then on Hawaii? There's a pretty strong independence movement there, and if you know anything about Hawaii then you understand we (USA) don't really have a moral leg to stand on.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

I have a friend from Hawaii. And I heard all about how horrible the colonization of those islands were.

Imperialism always sucks

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

This will be an interesting topic for sure but to say "most" favor independence? Are you suggesting most Taiwanese people or people in general?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Nirgal  Online
Member since 2019 • 697 Posts

I think this needs context.

1. The republic of china is not a break away province or the people's republic of china. Its the previous state of china before the communist revolution. they lost a civil war and continued to exist in Taiwan where the people liberation army could not reach them.

Both the republic of china and the people's republic of china claim the entire continental territory of china (plus taiwan, hainan, Tibet, Xinjiang and a lot more on the south china sea ). (Basically they claim the territory conquered by the Manchurians (Qing) plus the south china sea)

The people's republic of china has never governed Taiwan as it did not exist as a state before the civil war.

I am not sure what you mean when you say that most support the independence of Taiwan. By most you mean who ? And what kind of poll have you used as base to see what they support? Also the current status quo of taiwan is not of independence. On the contrary, it's a government that claim all the territory currently controlled by the people's republic of china.

2. I have searched about the independence movement of Hawaii and it appears to be very unpopular. I have not seen any parties that explicitly endorse it get any relevant support. So I don't think Hawaii independence is a realistic prospect.

This contrasts with the ROC that has been defacto self governing in Taiwan since before the people's republic of china existed.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 br0kenrabbit

@Solaryellow said:

This will be an interesting topic for sure but to say "most" favor independence? Are you suggesting most Taiwanese people or people in general?

Here on GS.

At least if I read the old Political Forum right.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nirgal  Online

@br0kenrabbit: it could be just the way you interpreted it. I, for instance, don't support an official declaration of independence by Taiwan as it would lead to war.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

Most independence movements in the modern era, in first-world countries, tend to be more emotionally-driven than anything.

Every so often you hear about California seceded from the Union, and it's funny to talk about and you can make some fake-good (as in, a jest) arguments as to why it should happen, but at the end of the day you sort of have to go "OK now, time to come back to reality".

Unfortunately with Hawaii it's a pretty grim history so we might not be able to look at it in a humorous light. As someone said earlier, "Imperialism sucks" and this is true even when (especially when) my own country does it. With that said, it has the same emotional plea but when it comes to reality, secession/independence is just a bad move overall.

Can't comment on Taiwan, that's a very long and confusing history. Chinese memory stretches very far back, and their view of the future is generational. They're playing the long game for sure.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

As someone said earlier, "Imperialism sucks" and this is true even when (especially when) my own country does it.

In my case, it was especially bad when my country did it.

Swedish war crimes against Poland, were completely unforgivable. Good riddance to the Swedish empire. My own country was far better off, after we stopped bullying other countries and started investing in ourselves. Both financially (the Swedish empire was poor, as we invested everything into bullying other nations), and for the spirit of our country. I can be proud of modern Sweden, but there is nothing to be proud of of the Sweden of the 17th and 18th centuries.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9874 Posts

I don't know enough on this topic to have a strong opinion tbh. For example do the people of Hawaii want independence?

I can just give som general thoughts.

Taiwan is a democracy. If it was swallowed by China it would no longer be. I am a big fan of democracy.

I guess people of Hawaii already can self-govern on many issues (as all states can). And Hawaii is part of a democracy with many individual rights, such as freedom of speech and so on.

So I think the upside for the people of Hawaii if they became independent would be tiny compared to the downsides of the people of Taiwan if incorporated into China.

I know questioning everything western is modern. But I for one still think democracy in combination with strong protection for individual rights is a fantastic system.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3449 Posts

If there is political and popular will to be independent, it definitely deserves to be discussed. Is there? From the natives at the very least?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 br0kenrabbit

@Sushiglutton said:

I don't know enough on this topic to have a strong opinion tbh. For example do the people of Hawaii want independence?

Taiwan is a democracy. If it was swallowed by China it would no longer be. I am a big fan of democracy.

I guess people of Hawaii already can self-govern on many issues (as all states can). And Hawaii is part of a democracy with many individual rights, such as freedom of speech and so on.

So I think the upside for the people of Hawaii if they became independent would be tiny compared to the downsides of the people of Taiwan if incorporated into China.

I know questioning everything western is modern. But I for one still think democracy in combination with strong protection for individual rights is a fantastic system.

The thing is, tho, it's the native peoples who want independence. This isn't about all Hawaiian citizens, just the native tribes.

Many of them still view Americans as invaders and occupiers.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nirgal  Online

@br0kenrabbit: how would that work? People are already racially mixed.

Are they going to take dna samples from everyone and set an arbitrary threshold for being a native or will being a native become a matter of self identification?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9874 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@Sushiglutton said:

The thing is, tho, it's the native peoples who want independence. This isn't about all Hawaiian citizens, just the native tribes.

About what fraction of the population are they? Do you know approx?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@Sushiglutton said:

It's tricky though because at this point their success is more or less tied to the US.

There are a few examples of tourism-heavy places gaining their independence and it just ruined them. I believe Haiti is one such example, though you could make the argument the French royally fucked them. IIRC they essentially have a debt that is impossible to pay off and keeps them more or less in perpetual poverty.

I'm not sure what the end goal is for the native Hawaiians. Do they want to revert back to simpler times, be isolationists? Sorry but that isn't going to work.

Do they want more autonomy? A say in what happens to their land? Then we need to work with them and maybe secession/independence isn't necessary.

The issue isn't really governmental, it's corporate. We've got private interests gobbling up land and making shady deals, it has little to do with the federal government AFAIK. Every so often, yes, we hear about a military base poisoning the ground and that's terrible but the real issue is wealthy non-native folks buying land for private use, hotels and shopping centers paving over the land, etc.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 br0kenrabbit

@mrbojangles25 said:

Do they want more autonomy? A say in what happens to their land? Then we need to work with them and maybe secession/independence isn't necessary.

They tried that. Then they were sued and the court said they can't be exclusionary; they had to let all locals in their org.

---

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/30194206/hawaiian-con-con-controversy/

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3490 Posts

Taiwan is part of China, same applies to Hong Kong. Hawaii? No idea... it's part of USA, but no idea what culture is like there... probably different to the US.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

All I know is that my white self isn't welcome in Hawaii the same way my American self isn't welcome in the UK (particularly England). Bad enough a certain Japanese company got a lot of hell for hosting a TCG tournament in Honolulu next year.

Though I'm pretty sure Hawaii and Taiwan have very differing situations here.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#18 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

All I know is that my white self isn't welcome in Hawaii the same way my American self isn't welcome in the UK (particularly England). Bad enough a certain Japanese company got a lot of hell for hosting a TCG tournament in Honolulu next year.

I'm sorry, what? What makes you think you're not welcome in Hawaii? Have you ever been to any of islands? Like... seriously? lol

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 br0kenrabbit

Isn't Horgen in Hawaii?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8781 Posts
@br0kenrabbit said:

Isn't Horgen in Hawaii?

On vacation? I think you mean Hallenbeck, but I could be wrong.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 br0kenrabbit

@DEVILinIRON said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Isn't Horgen in Hawaii?

On vacation?

I thought he lives in Hawaii. Could be wrong.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts
@Sushiglutton said:

I agree with this. One the one hand you have an authoritarian country aiming to swallow up a democracy and on the other local tribes that are already part of a racially mixed state wanting independence. So without any substantial knowledge on the latter, I wouldn't put those two movements in the same basket.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

I'm sorry, what? What makes you think you're not welcome in Hawaii? Have you ever been to any of islands? Like... seriously? lol

This is why. Hawaii has a bit of an anti-tourism movement.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@DEVILinIRON said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Isn't Horgen in Hawaii?

On vacation?

Horgen is from Norway. Think they're a bit different.😛

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 br0kenrabbit

@LJS9502_basic said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@DEVILinIRON said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Isn't Horgen in Hawaii?

On vacation?

Horgen is from Norway. Think they're a bit different.😛

Well, hell. Which mod was it was from Hawaii? I remember them posting hurricane updates one time when a storm drifted that way.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14815 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Isn't Horgen in Hawaii?

I think you mean Hallenbeck, but I could be wrong.

I think you're right.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 br0kenrabbit

@SOedipus said:
@DEVILinIRON said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Isn't Horgen in Hawaii?

I think you mean Hallenbeck, but I could be wrong.

I think you're right.

Ah yeah, I remember the Al Bundy icon now. Pretty sure that's him.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#28 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

This is why. Hawaii has a bit of an anti-tourism movement.

I'm still perplexed why race has anything to do with that.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nirgal  Online

@br0kenrabbit: what made you think about this comparison between Taiwan and Hawaii?

They seem to be very different situations.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 br0kenrabbit

@nirgal said:

@br0kenrabbit: what made you think about this comparison between Taiwan and Hawaii?

They seem to be very different situations.

Big nation suppress small island; in the abstract it's not so different.

People just seem to be a bit hypocritical of accusing others of doing what their country has done. I just like flipping the script a little to see how people justify it.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nirgal  Online

@br0kenrabbit: I think they are similar In a very different way that you think.

Ethnic Chinese were not the original inhabitants of Taiwan. That island also has native Americans.

They are a minority now, though I am not sure about their history or current status.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19584 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Haiti isn't a great example, because they were arguably worse off before independence.

Pre-independence, it was the richest slave colony in the world. The slaves fought Napoleon (and everyone else) for their freedom, and the centuries of crippling debt was the price they paid for peace and international recognition.

So it's quite a different situation to Taiwan (which views itself as the displaced government of mainland China), and Hawaii (which was colonised, but wasn't run as a slave colony afaik).